Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Theres that streaker that got absolutely smashed by the Gendarme too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

:flaccid:

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
If they avoid drama on the flatter stages and this comes down to the Pyrenees I legit think Dumoulin is going to win this from here.

Sky can’t drop him, he’s only behind Froome because of a time penalty, and there’s still a time trial to come. He’s the perfect rider to gently caress with them because he just latches on and uses their train as his own.

The Giro loss ultimately only happened because Tom completely screwed up his tactics and voluntarily shipped minutes on Froome’s solo stage.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
I don’t think so. The Skytrain hasn’t made any moves yet. If they alternate attacks by Froome and G on the last climbing stage, Dumoulin will blow up. The time he loses if he gets dropped from the train won’t be made up in a TT.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

TobinHatesYou posted:

I don’t think so. The Skytrain hasn’t made any moves yet. If they alternate attacks by Froome and G on the last climbing stage, Dumoulin will blow up. The time he loses if he gets dropped from the train won’t be made up in a TT.

He was looking strong as hell yesterday and putting down attacks constantly. I'd agree with you that sky have a train to tire him out but I reckon he's got a chance.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

TobinHatesYou posted:

imo that doesn't work all that well against him because he just keeps riding at his pace and eventually closes down the gap. Whenever they drop him he gets back on like no other rider.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Ban anyone who doesn't believe in big Tommy D imho.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

He definitely has a chance, the problem is he's going to be doing it all by himself and sky usually get stronger in the 3rd week

Also he does dumb poo poo to lose time (and actual shits)

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

HappyCamperGL posted:

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Reminder that I grew up very near to Tom Dumoulin and that one of my best friends still lives very close to him now, and he regularly sees him biking to the supermarket etc. lol

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

Skarsnik posted:

He definitely has a chance

He does, but Sky has two.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

drat, Nibali out with a broken vertebra :(

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Wow, dead in here with this boring stage.

Anyone watching the NBCSN feed up for a morning drinking game? Take a drink everytime Phil misidentifies someone or Paul says "aroundabout."

(I'm not responsible for your death.)

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

peanut- posted:

I legit think Dumoulin is going to win this from here.

Oh my sweet summer child.

Wifi Toilet posted:

Wow, dead in here with this boring stage.

Anyone watching the NBCSN feed up for a morning drinking game? Take a drink everytime Phil misidentifies someone or Paul says "aroundabout."

(I'm not responsible for your death.)

Also drink every time:

- Phil mispronounces “Voigt”
- Paul tells you about a church
- Jens prognosticates: “I sink he gonna stey aweigh”, “no chance!” or similar.
- If Bob or Christian call him on it, finish your drink.

I will say I do love how much shade the NBCSN crew is throwing at the sprinters for being unable to make the times.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
i havent even put this stage on tv because its going to be dull as poo poo and finish with a Sagan win.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I stuck it on briefly a minute ago and there sure were a big pack of riders trundling down a flat straight road

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

serious gaylord posted:

i havent even put this stage on tv because its going to be dull as poo poo and finish with a Sagan win.

Eyup.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

There was a slightly exciting attack from 800 meters out by Gilbert. But yeah

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Just doing Sagan things again.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

A good lunge

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

By half a wheel. That man has it dialed.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Highlight of today’s stage coverage was Paul awkwardly plugging “Skyscraper” then when they showed a castle and he commented “well there’s a building that’s never burned down” and Phil goes “well actually, in 1651...”

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

HappyCamperGL posted:

Pimp Cauldron
Aug 3, 2002

A twisted pictoral of phoenix, AZ

Andy Dufresne posted:

These aren't relative nobodies though, that's the biggest lie perpetuating the sky myth. I feel like I have to gertrude and make it clear I'm not a fan, I'd take Nibili or Quintana any day, but sky buys very strong riders and asks them to commit 100% to riding for their leader and then loving off for every other goal.

They're just more committed? That's thin, at best.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Movistar have 3 guys that could be GC contenders on a given team and they all got dropped. I have a hard time believing that if they just worked together and "committed to one another" that the results would have been different.

I don't think surfing wheels or sticking to the back of the sky train on a climb is that much different from surfing wheels on a sprint vs having a designated leadout train. Solo sprinters like Sagan do fine without having a leadout like QS. I understand answering attacks on a climb is different than knowing exactly when to start a sprint, but the draft is obviously much much bigger on sprints.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
It’s not just about three guys though. Bernal, Kwiato, Poels, Rowe, Moscon, etc. are all extremely strong as domestiques. Movistar is the best of the rest and they aren’t nearly as deep. During stage 12 Movistar’s DS instructed both Landa and Quintana to attack when they didn’t have the legs for it, otherwise they could have both sat on the back of the train.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 20, 2018

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Holy poo poo, I just saw that Chris Horner is still/again active: https://www.procyclingstats.com/rider/chris-horner

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

HappyCamperGL posted:

This, also Sagan has the best bike throw ever.

Did anyone notice Sean Kelly’s total “I don’t give a poo poo” moment about the BMC Stealth Boike?

paddyboat fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jul 21, 2018

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

Pimp Cauldron posted:

They're just more committed? That's thin, at best.

Do you really think that I said they're more committed or are you trying to build a straw man?

They are committed to one goal at the expense of all other goals. There are other teams with riders at a level similar to Froome or G who don't focus singularly on winning the TDF for that rider.

And their 4th through 8th riders are much lower quality than Sky.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

TobinHatesYou posted:

He can pace himself up the climbs if he has to, same as Froome. Just a matter of whether he has even the legs for that.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Dangerllama posted:

By half a wheel. That man has it dialed.

timing.gif:
https://i.imgur.com/MSaVgud.mp4

e: overhead:
https://i.imgur.com/tSGLj4t.mp4
To be able to leave it that close to the line before gunning it -- he was behind at the Skoda stripe and nipped it with a combination of extra speed and that throw.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jul 21, 2018

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Looks seriously windy today

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Actually get to watch a stage today :toot:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Wanna ride down that road

e: ooh Wiggins is on ITV commentary now, that could be interesting

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jul 21, 2018

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

LOL, Wiggo does a pretty good impression of Sir Dave.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It helps provide alibis.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
This is a very pretty stage

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Good bunch of riders in this break. Kind of expecting them to get caught with 10km to go though.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
*to the sound of Enya's Orinoco Flow (Sail Away)*

Dumoulin, Dumoulin, Dumoulin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Bahrain are going to sue ASO over the lack of security causing Nibali's crash.