Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Vancouver selects Marcus Johansson, who had a rough go of it last season due to some bad injury luck. In spite of some dumb shithead ruining his season, he's a very crafty playmaker who can create open space and posts strong 5v5 numbers. He has past experience at Center so he'll slot in on the 2nd line next to Granlund.

Panarin - Backlund - Rakell
Granlund - Johansson - X

X - Klingberg
Klefbom - Stralman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
is it my turn yet

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

tofes posted:

is it my turn yet

Nope.

Next up:
Boomer The Cannon (until 12 PM EST)
tofes
eXXon
stab
fawning deference

Skipped:
HootTheOwl (x1)

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I'll be away this weekend so I sent my picks to Kilza

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Is that seventy point player still available? I have no idea who he is and I hope he's good! If so that's my pick!

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Winnipeg takes Josh Bailey.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Gonna need someone to call whether Hoot technically just did that or not.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
i think one should be required to actually name the player they want

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

corn on the cop posted:

i think one should be required to actually name the player they want

This seems reasonable.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I wanted it to be a surprise :(

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
So, uh, how are you all tracking who's still available anyways because we're rapidly running out of names I know.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

So, uh, how are you all tracking who's still available anyways because we're rapidly running out of names I know.

The picks by position tab and ctrl+f

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
If I don't get Bailey (I guess that's who it was?) Then I'll take Adam Lowry who I saw in the off season thread is described as a "shut down center" and "a good contract".

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Ctrl+F in the spreadsheet.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Zodijackylite posted:

Ctrl+F in the spreadsheet.

That tells me who's taken, as this drags on round after round this is going to become more and more time consuming.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

HootTheOwl posted:

If I don't get Bailey (I guess that's who it was?) Then I'll take Adam Lowry who I saw in the off season thread is described as a "shut down center" and "a good contract".

“Shut down center” is also how I would describe him.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

That tells me who's taken, as this drags on round after round this is going to become more and more time consuming.

Part of the reason I really like these off-season drafts is because it makes you become very cognizant of other teams' bottom 6 players.
You've got to embrace the grinders.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Part of the reason I really like these off-season drafts is because it makes you become very cognizant of other teams' bottom 6 players.

OK but I'm browsing Grindr and I'm finding bad boys, not good boys.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

If you wanted Bailey, you should have said Bailey.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
anywho

Due Up:
tofes (12:00 PM EST)
eXXon
stab
fawning deference
ThinkTank

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

I've learned a lot about who is probably under paid (basically anyone with an ELC) and how truly amazingly awful some contracts are. Also dumpster diving to try and make cap numbers work within a dumb gimmick.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

E: Double post

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

the golden knights select anders lee so he can score some goals for our team

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I love this draft because I'm in a few deep fantasy leagues and it really helps me get a handle on players beyond the obvious stars and scorers.

Plus there's no hockey and I can't really get into any other major NA sports. I guess basketball is okay but far too top heavy and also gone in the summer.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Boomer The Cannon posted:

If you wanted Bailey, you should have said Bailey.

Chill out dude.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

tofes posted:

the golden knights select anders lee so he can score some goals for our team

Taken like 4 rounds ago gg next map

Edit: 140th overall but for slme reason its zach werenski twice lol

stab fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 20, 2018

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

HootTheOwl posted:

Chill out dude.

Seriously. He gets Josh Bailey's contract

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

a false posted:

the new york rangers select possession driver and garbage goal god Anders Lee

Yeah he was. Someone entered this as Zach Werenski in the spreadsheet.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

well that sucks, give me a few minutes

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

we'll take james neal unless he's entered under marc andre fluery or something

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

tofes posted:

I like Neal and he should do pretty well in Calgary. He's still available for ya.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

tofes posted:

I like this pick better than Lee considering if Lee hits anything close to 20 goals next year he's probably going to get a $6+ million contract on a shooting percentage that cannot last.
Neal still has one of the best wrist shots in the league and there's no reason he can't Petr Sykora his way into his mid to late 30s

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I like this pick better than Lee considering if Lee hits anything close to 20 goals next year he's probably going to get a $6+ million contract on a shooting percentage that cannot last.
Neal still has one of the best wrist shots in the league and there's no reason he can't Petr Sykora his way into his mid to late 30s

Lee's hit 30 goals several times if I'm not mistaken. He's legit good. His shooting percentage is high likely because he picks his spots well ie. takes out the garbage. I think he's a 30+ goal player straight up.

I agree about Neal though, he'll hit 20 for the foreseeable future if he's healthy.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Lee has a really high shooting percentage, but he's been shooting 18-19% for two years, and is 14.6% for his career. For a guy who takes 200 shots, he's pretty much guaranteed to score at least 20-25, though not likely to hit 40 again. Good pick when you're drafting second-line depth at this point.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Zodijackylite posted:

Lee has a really high shooting percentage, but he's been shooting 18-19% for two years, and is 14.6% for his career. For a guy who takes 200 shots, he's pretty much guaranteed to score at least 20-25, though not likely to hit 40 again. Good pick when you're drafting second-line depth at this point.

I'm certainly not saying he's bad, but I'm saying there are a couple of knocks that I think makes Neal a safer choice. For one, Lee is about to get paid (most likely by and Islanders team with a lot of space desperate for goals) and two: he scores a lot of his goals in the crease which is more punishing on a body so less likely to maintain that into his mid to late 30s.
Which is not to say impossible - but it's just less often those guys age gracefully.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Come on exxon and stab I wanna make my pick

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Im ready im just waiting on exxon

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

I'm certainly not saying he's bad, but I'm saying there are a couple of knocks that I think makes Neal a safer choice. For one, Lee is about to get paid (most likely by and Islanders team with a lot of space desperate for goals) and two: he scores a lot of his goals in the crease which is more punishing on a body so less likely to maintain that into his mid to late 30s.
Which is not to say impossible - but it's just less often those guys age gracefully.

I agree on that, but Lee is three years younger, which offsets that somewhat.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
It’s not a perfect comparison but Tomas Holmstrom had like a 16.5% shot percentage post-lockout largely because most of his shots and goals were deflections or cleaning up garbage around the crease. Some guys maintain otherwise aberrant S% numbers because of the way they play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I desperately need a right winger and I'm not thrilled with the available veterans, so I'm going to take Alex Tuch and hope that he scores a bunch of goals next season with Neal gone.