Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

Where did we end up on the Three Olives CCS thing?

Three Olives bad, CCS good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I laugh heartily at Musk fans.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Nonsense posted:

I laugh heartily at Musk fans.

Is it ok to like Tesla’s despite Musk?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
The virgin Supercharger vs the CHAdeMO

Mr. Bill
Jan 18, 2007
Bourgeoisie Pig

ratbert90 posted:

Is it ok to like Tesla’s despite Musk?

At this point? Touch and go.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Mr. Bill posted:

At this point? Touch and go.

If they got rid of Musk but kept the engineers I would be fine with it.

Tbh, I don’t believe Tesla the brand is going anywhere. They will probably be bought and become the EV segment of one of the big 3.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

ratbert90 posted:

Tbh, I don’t believe Tesla the brand is going anywhere. They will probably be bought and become the EV segment of one of the big 3.
That would kind of suck to be honest.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

ratbert90 posted:

one of Alphabet or Apple would probably be a higher bidder to jumpstart (ha!) getting their own flavor of self driving car on the road.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

pun pundit posted:

Charger exclusivity in general is super dumb and bad for EV adoption. Fast charging needs to be as simple as possible, and if you see a fast charger your EV should be able to charge from it.

Exactly.

If you're the one making the chargers, supporting more brands of car means your customer base is that much larger.

If you're the one making the cars, supporting more brands of charger means prospective owners would have an easier time finding somewhere to charge, which makes your cars more attractive.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

If Musk were removed from the board and all decision making at Tesla tomorrow, I’d honestly be tempted to buy their stock on the news.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Like in theory Tesla is building on demand since they don't really have to have dealer inventory so I get why to some people this is shocking, but in practice that is very hard to do. But if the numbers are right at 29k, that's six weeks of production in transit which sounds high for a company that is primarily fulfilling domestic demand in the US.

Given that twice now we have completely ridiculed any assertions from IspyTSLA, it's safe to say the "number" is wrong.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
You haven't ridiculed anything. There's a lot of possible explanations and most of them are bad.

So why don't we up the ante with a much bigger graveyard, this time with Teslas covered with dirty tarps?

https://twitter.com/grierhiggins/status/1020094160156540929?s=19

That's Burbank Airport. These vehicles are piling up 50-100 miles from the rail lines Tesla uses. If you're handwaving this stuff away then you're delusional.

Also, it's been 115 in California and those cabins are baking every day. The batteries aren't being charged to keep the cabins cooled.

FistEnergy fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jul 20, 2018

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

canyoneer posted:

The virgin Supercharger vs the CHAdeMO

Memes are bad, but A+ on execution.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

The Sicilian posted:

Superchargers have to communicate with the Tesla to initiate charging, this will never work.
A little bird has told me you can use CAN spoofing and GSM/LTE jammers to prevent the SC from phoning home, and get free non-Tesla Supercharging at the risk of the ire of the federal government. It's fun to realize we live in a cyberpunk future.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
EDIT: Hey oh, here is drone footage of a few hundred, at most, cars in a parking lot. More rock solid evidence Tesla is on the verge of bankruptcy.

What is it, is Tesla struggling to barely make enough cars in a tent, or have they made so many they can't delver them fast enough? You can only pick one option.....

FistEnergy posted:

'immediate insolvency'.

You posted some twitter pictures with like 40 - 50 (you can count them) Model 3s sitting in a parking lot and your first thought is "immediate insolvency". Are you having a psychotic break or something?

In other news, a car guy falls in love with a performance Model 3:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/first-ever-review-of-the-tesla-model-3-performance-a-thrilling-modern-marvel-1532022533

spandexcajun fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jul 20, 2018

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

FistEnergy posted:

You haven't ridiculed anything. There's a lot of possible explanations and most of them are bad.

Yes we have and the correct explaination has already been given. This is a completely normal holding yard exactly like every other car maker has. You firstly posted a compeltely normal factory video. Then you posted a QAnon level river of bullshit (29,000 cars gone "missing"? HAHAHAHA get hosed). And now you posted another completely normal and KNOWN holding yard.

quote:

If you're handwaving this stuff away then you're delusional.

You are the one posting this garbage, not us.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/34%C2%B002'36.0%22S+150%C2%B050'00.7%22E/@-34.0433175,150.8313333,938m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m14!1m7!3m6!1s0x6b12ec7d3ed567ff:0x5017d681632c160!2sMinto+NSW+2566!3b1!8m2!3d-34.02646!4d150.8507!3m5!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d-34.0433218!4d150.8335225

TOYOTA ARE GONG BROKE THEY HAVE ALL THESE CARS IN THIS STORAGE YARD

(PrixCar Minto in case anyone wants to fact check)

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jul 20, 2018

Deathreaper
Mar 27, 2010
Well seems like the lot at the Burbank Airport has been going on for at least 1+ year - here is a thread on the airport lot from last year - not many photos :

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/burbank-airport-log-term-lot-being-used-for-staging-model-x.93495/

Also 10 seconds of googling reveals an article on Tesla purchasing a "Manufacturing Modifications" site in Lathrop (18260 Harlan Road), the video the guy filmed is located about a kilometer northeast from that location. It doesn't seem to have any onsite staging so it could make sense to park them in the vacant lot. Note the job postings at the bottom of the page.

https://insideevs.com/tesla-acquires-431000-square-foot-facility-lathrop-california-begins-manufacturing-modifications-site/

To conclude, lmao at the retard who spends all day making lovely recordings of Tesla lots.

Deathreaper fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jul 20, 2018

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
The "bankruptcy" lot in action:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bkx8UU1hBTz/?taken-by=teslamotors

:ms:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

At a guess, FistedEnergy most likely got his crap off ZeroHege, a notible Alt-Right site and likely Russian propaganda spewer by the looks of one of the articles that almost lines up exactly with his posts.

Try again and this time maybe link to a credible news source.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

At a guess, FistedEnergy most likely got his crap off ZeroHege,

:thunk:

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-07-19/why-are-thousands-teslas-sitting-field-california-0

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Reading this thread makes me feel like my brain is melting. That's usually reserved for the Trump thread. So, ah, good job I guess.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

:ms:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Zerohedge wrote an article a few years back about how the global economy was doomed because they had discovered the vast Illuminati conspiracy of cars awaiting transsshipment and import at ports so safe to say they’re loving retards.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Yeah, ZeroHedge is basically a chaos monger who sees ghosts and conspiracies everywhere. I followed them around the London Whale scandal where they were actually quite good. But blind chicken etc. Once Trump started campaigning they went pretty batshit, pro Putin, pro Assad, Hillary eats children etc.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Zerohedge wrote an article a few years back about how the global economy was doomed because they had discovered the vast Illuminati conspiracy of cars awaiting transsshipment and import at ports so safe to say they’re loving retards.

This one that is linked in this HoaxSlayer article?

https://www.hoax-slayer.com/unsold-car-stockpile-photographs.shtml

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Ola posted:

Yeah, ZeroHedge is basically a chaos monger who sees ghosts and conspiracies everywhere. I followed them around the London Whale scandal where they were actually quite good. But blind chicken etc. Once Trump started campaigning they went pretty batshit, pro Putin, pro Assad, Hillary eats children etc.

Naming yourself Tyler Durden for your blog posts in 2018 is all the red flags you need.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

That's the one. I went to one of the port facilities of German automaker and they had about 40,000 units stacked up from some... legal reasons in addition to the ordinary cars being processed. You could take some really good pictures there for an article about FAKE SALES.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
The zerohedge thing has me really disappointed. I was imagining FistEnergy sitting in a dramatically lit room covered in photos of Elon Musk, parking lots, and a shitload of red string connecting them.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I didn't get the info from ZeroHedge. They just reported the independent investigatiors.

There's an awful lot of :smugdog: here, which is weird because Tesla is clearly broke and operating like a circus if you know how to read a financial statement. I'll check back after the chips fall. I don't know how many signs of insolvency it takes for cultists to wake up but I guess we'll see. If Tesla doesn't secure new financing in the next couple of months they're finished. And it's looking more and more unlikely.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I thought Tesla's financial statements were supposed to be bullshit because they used non-GAAP accounting?

I don't actually know how to read a public company's financial statements in depth. I'd unironically appreciate you walking us through the most recent $TSLA one.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

FistEnergy posted:

I didn't get the info from ZeroHedge. They just reported the independent investigatiors.

There's an awful lot of :smugdog: here, which is weird because Tesla is clearly broke and operating like a circus if you know how to read a financial statement. I'll check back after the chips fall. I don't know how many signs of insolvency it takes for cultists to wake up but I guess we'll see. If Tesla doesn't secure new financing in the next couple of months they're finished. And it's looking more and more unlikely.
Is your money where your mouth is, shorting shares? If they're clearly broke it should be easy to take the risk.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
The most beautiful thing will be that, when Tesla dies, we’ll see some postmortem analyses showing that the company, all-in-all, wasn’t doing too bad but was killed by a bunch of nerds and stock brokers posting every single bit of bad news they could make up so they can short the stock or buy when it’s low.

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003

FistEnergy posted:

What’s your prediction for when they fail? Bankruptcy by the end of the year?

If your prediction doesn’t arrive, how will you adjust your feelings on Tesla? Genuinely curious!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

FistEnergy posted:

I enjoy that within the same page of a thread I get called a Tesla Cultist and also an EV hater.

I agree that Tesla's position is precarious but it has everything to do with their manufacturing issues and nothing at all to do with cars sitting around post production for very normal reasons. It's shocking to me how little people know about the business of making cars and what lovely stupid opinions they have on both sides of this weird, illogical battlefield.

Ripoff posted:

The most beautiful thing will be that, when Tesla dies, we’ll see some postmortem analyses showing that the company, all-in-all, wasn’t doing too bad but was killed by a bunch of nerds and stock brokers posting every single bit of bad news they could make up so they can short the stock or buy when it’s low.

this is, charitably, very unlikely

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I bet all the "cars" they're delivering to that huge parking lot are just hydrogen filled car-shaped baloons used to pad their production numbers.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

ilkhan posted:

Is your money where your mouth is, shorting shares? If they're clearly broke it should be easy to take the risk.
Shorting is a fool's errand. As the old adage goes, the market can remain irrational longer than you can stay solvent.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Ulf posted:

A little bird has told me you can use CAN spoofing and GSM/LTE jammers to prevent the SC from phoning home, and get free non-Tesla Supercharging at the risk of the ire of the federal government. It's fun to realize we live in a cyberpunk future.

This would also be theft of services. Someone is paying for that electricity and it isn’t you.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ulf posted:

Theft or service abuse is somehow ok when there is :c00l: hacking involved.

A little bird whispered to me that you can get cheap beer in self service stores by selecting "potatoes" on the screen. It's not shop lifting, it's :c00l: hacking :c00l:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

bawfuls posted:

Shorting is a fool's errand. As the old adage goes, the market can remain irrational longer than you can stay solvent.
Lol. If he's so sure they are gonna go bankrupt it's easy money, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
:siren: Full video of the VW Pikes Peak climb: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6nYdHwgCIk

ilkhan posted:

Lol. If he's so sure they are gonna go bankrupt it's easy money, though.
Yeah but it's never 100% certain (otherwise nobody would buy your short). The price can also double or triple or more and you're really hosed. E: but he should absolutely do it.

• Locked thread