Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

ilkhan posted:

Lol. If he's so sure they are gonna go bankrupt it's easy money, though.
It's not, because any number of unpredictable things could delay the timing of it such that it fucks up his shorts. To nail a short position you not only have to predict that it's going to go down, but also when it's going to go down. That's the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I don't think I've ever heard a conspiracy theorist say that something is good, they're always pointing out if something is bad.
There is a big Venn overlap between those and permabears and stock market chaos mongers. Perhaps it's a thing where you want to feel smarter than everyone else? If you're saying that guy is wrong, you're apparently smarter than everyone who thinks that guy is right, who in turn are at best equally smart as the guy since they didn't come up with whatever idea is at hand.
Anyway, as far as cults go, Tesla is a fairly weak one and I don't know why people are so concerned with its potential failing if they don't want to make money from shorting, other than this feeling-smarter thing.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Ola posted:

I don't know why people are so concerned with its potential failing if they don't want to make money from shorting, other than this feeling-smarter thing.

Because they *could* be delivering a great product and helping advance the cause of EVs. But they aren't.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Because they *could* be delivering a great product and helping advance the cause of EVs. But they aren't.
Exactly. It's extremely frustrating.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe
This false concern for advancing the ev industry or holding it back, etc, is really annoying.

Tesla owes none of you anything, just as GM doesn’t (even though they were bailed out with taxpayer funds).

If you are so confident short the stock and increase the parimutuel liquidity in the market.

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The whole "I can't short because what if I can't stay solvent that long!!!" argument is absolute garbage, unless I'm misunderstanding something

You don't need to stick your entire life savings into a short just to make a short. If you're that confident the company is gonna blow up, then just adjust the # of shorted shares via adjusting your risk to the possibility of them actually surviving (or doing even better for the next X weeks/months/years) and then short accordingly. Or buy puts.

If you believe that strongly a company is going to blow up in the next several years, even if you don't know when it's going to happen, it's absolute insanity to not bet on it unless you hate money. Perhaps you're just actually not that confident it's gonna all blow up, though?

Blinky2099 fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 20, 2018

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Maybe we think the company is on track to blow up but very much don't want it to blow up??

Nov 6, 2002

The Sicilian posted:

This false concern for advancing the ev industry or holding it back, etc, is really annoying.

Tesla owes none of you anything, just as GM doesn’t (even though they were bailed out with taxpayer funds).

I don't think you really understand what we're saying.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

bawfuls posted:

Maybe we think the company is on track to blow up but very much don't want it to blow up??

Then it’s a hedge. Either the company succeeds and you’re happy, or you make money!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

The Sicilian posted:

If you are so confident short the stock and increase the parimutuel liquidity in the market.

i mean, i don't want them to fail because their failure would set back the EV industry, and so i don't like seeing them do stupid stuff that has brought them in to a bad position. i don't see how that's false concern

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe
If it is such a dumpster fire then fine, short it or leave it alone.

Posting conspiracies and outright false claims about the company and railing on it, all under the guise of concern is not that believable.

Also if the market is so “irrational” that it keeps supporting a company, maybe you are the wrong one.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

So is it your contention that people who want EVs in general and Tesla specifically to succeed, ought to never criticize the company or discuss it's shortcomings?

The Sicilian posted:

Also if the market is so “irrational” that it keeps supporting a company, maybe you are the wrong one.
Imagine thinking stock market pricing is entirely rational in 2018

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

bawfuls posted:

So is it your contention that people who want EVs in general and Tesla specifically to succeed, ought to never criticize the company or discuss it's shortcomings?
Imagine thinking stock market pricing is entirely rational in 2018

None of this seems like productive criticism, especially the crazed man posting zerohedge articles.

Also this a comedy forum, let’s not pretend your support or “criticisms” do anything other than stroke your own cock.

My argument wasn’t about stock market pricing but rather the market’s continued belief in Tesla through things like equity buy-backs. If that many people have reached consensus and week after week you are wrong again, it might be time to reconsider your position or strategy.

Nov 6, 2002

The Sicilian posted:

None of this seems like productive criticism, especially the crazed man posting zerohedge articles.

Also this a comedy forum, let’s not pretend your support or “criticisms” do anything other than stroke your own cock.

My argument wasn’t about stock market pricing but rather the market’s continued belief in Tesla through things like equity buy-backs. If that many people have reached consensus and week after week you are wrong again, it might be time to reconsider your position or strategy.

You're precious.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Blinky2099 posted:

The whole "I can't short because what if I can't stay solvent that long!!!" argument is absolute garbage, unless I'm misunderstanding something

You don't need to stick your entire life savings into a short just to make a short. If you're that confident the company is gonna blow up, then just adjust the # of shorted shares via adjusting your risk to the possibility of them actually surviving (or doing even better for the next X weeks/months/years) and then short accordingly. Or buy puts.

If you believe that strongly a company is going to blow up in the next several years, even if you don't know when it's going to happen, it's absolute insanity to not bet on it unless you hate money. Perhaps you're just actually not that confident it's gonna all blow up, though?

Yeah there's also the old like technically true but effectively not really chestnut of like "shorting a stock opens you up to unlimited losses" which is like, okay I guess it's technically true but the odds of Tesla going to say 10,000 a share are effectively 0, you can probably model your potential losses to a pretty reasonable degree

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Sicilian posted:

what the gently caress do you think "market pricing" is based on exactly?

Stefan Prodan posted:

Yeah there's also the old like technically true but effectively not really chestnut of like "shorting a stock opens you up to unlimited losses" which is like, okay I guess it's technically true but the odds of Tesla going to say 10,000 a share are effectively 0, you can probably model your potential losses to a pretty reasonable degree
ok but maybe we just want to talk about what appears to be the unfortunate downward spiral of a company we're rooting for on a dead gay comedy forum?

I don't have to make a loving excel spreadsheet to arrange a complex web of shorts/puts on Tesla just to discuss it's current actions and trajectory online ffs

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 20, 2018

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

The Sicilian posted:

no argument that that guy is completely out of his mind

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

bawfuls posted:

Market perception. If your view goes against the market perception, no matter how right you are, you will be hosed.

We can see this with samples like market reactions to ERs, sometimes a company beats their predicted earnings and still the stock dips. Another example is the dead cat bounce.

My point is, trying to contextualize an irrational thing and force it to adhere to your "correct" point of view, generally doesn't work out in your favor.

Now back to masturbating over videos of warehouses and spy photos of cars in transit.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

bawfuls posted:

ok but maybe we just want to talk about what appears to be the unfortunate downward spiral of a company we're rooting for on a dead gay comedy forum?

I don't have to make a loving excel spreadsheet to arrange a complex web of shorts/puts on Tesla just to discuss it's current actions and trajectory online ffs

Oh I didn't mean this at anyone in particular I just hate that adage and Blinky's post reminded me of people saying that

I can see why you'd think that was directed at people here not shorting tho but I didn't mean it that way

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Sicilian posted:

Market perception. If your view goes against the market perception, no matter how right you are, you will be hosed.

We can see this with samples like market reactions to ERs, sometimes a company beats their predicted earnings and still the stock dips. Another example is the dead cat bounce.

My point is, trying to contextualize an irrational thing and force it to adhere to your "correct" point of view, generally doesn't work out in your favor.
So what you're saying is, sometimes you can be right that a company is in deep trouble but the market continues to be irrational about this reality anyway? Hrmmm that sounds familiar for some reason.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

bawfuls posted:

So what you're saying is, sometimes you can be right that a company is in deep trouble but the market continues to be irrational about this reality anyway? Hrmmm that sounds familiar for some reason.

As was the case with early amazon. I don’t think you would treat that assessment the same way today.

But by all means, short that stock, increase parimutual liquidity and keep talking poo poo. The market is the decider. Not some crazed man posting conspiraciy theories or a group of people who have never run a company in their lives.

Right now the onus is on you to prove that this is an ongoing disaster.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Someone should short this thread.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

FistEnergy posted:

I didn't get the info from ZeroHedge. They just reported the independent investigatiors.

Yes you did. You got busted reposting poo poo from a alt-right bullshit spewing blog. You barely changed the loving formatting.

quote:

There's an awful lot of :smugdog: here, which is weird because Tesla is clearly broke and operating like a circus if you know how to read a financial statement. I'll check back after the chips fall. I don't know how many signs of insolvency it takes for cultists to wake up but I guess we'll see. If Tesla doesn't secure new financing in the next couple of months they're finished. And it's looking more and more unlikely.

Stop posting poo poo with no evidence. You got pantsed, being called out for that isnt being smug on our half. Frankly, you are every bit of a fool as the cultists are and a prime example that the anti Tesla droolies are every bit as loving awful as the cultists.

And GG guys, Tesla isnt going anywhere just yet. They arent in a great financial position sure but come on, they are building and selling what.... 6000 cars a week and still in a rapid growth phase? I hate this phrase but in this case the truth of Tesla really is somewhere in the middle. I kinda feel if Musk got launched into space, Tesla would be viewed more evenly and not the current tendancy to see it as either a dumpster fire about to explode or the second coming of Christ.

It's a growing company, building a LOT of costly infrastructure in a mad growth phase. I mean... personalyl I think they should try to consolidate and get a cash wad but they arent going to collapse in six months either.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Should we make a new thread where people who want to dare each other to do things with $TSLA can post?

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

pun pundit posted:

Should we make a new thread where people who want to dare each other to do things with $TSLA can post?

We should probably just talk about other EV's, like the rumored 200 mile range + upcoming i3, the Kona, or the newly released leaf (with NISMO package).

Most people commenting here have little to no business experience and aren't doing that hot financially themselves. Hence the lack of shorts for a company "definitely" going bankrupt in the next 6 months for the last 3 years.

But if the mods want, we can keep posting insane zero hedge articles and "spy" shots of vehicles in transit. I would rather let the market sort it out.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

The Sicilian posted:

We should probably just talk about other EV's, like the rumored 200 mile range + upcoming i3, the Kona, or the newly released leaf (with NISMO package).

Most people commenting here have little to no business experience and aren't doing that hot financially themselves. Hence the lack of shorts for a company "definitely" going bankrupt in the next 6 months for the last 3 years.

But if the mods want, we can keep posting insane zero hedge articles and "spy" shots of vehicles in transit. I would rather let the market sort it out.

Can we bring back The Sicilian 1:1 rule?

One nice thing about not-a-Tesla for every nice thing about-a-Tesla

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Goober Peas posted:

Can we bring back The Sicilian 1:1 rule?

One nice thing about not-a-Tesla for every nice thing about-a-Tesla

I'm about to head off on another contract, look forward to me not posting for 5-6 months.

Enjoy.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

The Sicilian posted:

Yeah, the last page or so of this thread has been you arguing about the market after a post about shorting that amounts to "wanna bet?" but with only your word to go on that you have a stake (or was that from ilkhan?). When fist - dude comes back we can ridicule him again, but in the meantime I suggest that next time you want to encourage someone to back their words up you go to a mechanic supported by the forum. Like toxxing. Why not toxx yourself with a condition connected to tesla stock value? That way you get to be tough on the Internet in a verifiable way, possibly give lowtax some money, and avoid a page worth of market volatility derail.

E: I'll start: if you or ilkhan toxx yourselves with a bet on $TSLA increasing significantly, l will buy myself an avatar praising Tesla.

pun pundit fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 20, 2018

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

pun pundit posted:

Yeah, the last page or so of this thread has been you arguing about the market after a post about shorting that amounts to "wanna bet?" but with only your word to go on that you have a stake (or was that from ilkhan?). When fist - dude comes back we can ridicule him again, but in the meantime I suggest that next time you want to encourage someone to back their words up you go to a mechanic supported by the forum. Like toxxing. Why not toxx yourself with a condition connected to tesla stock value? That way you get to be tough on the Internet in a verifiable way, possibly give lowtax some money, and avoid a page worth of market volatility derail.

I drive a model s and own stock, lol. That is far more of a stake than any of the talking heads have. It's easy to continue to post proven false things and then when called on it say you are trolling or some such.

Either don't talk about the impending disaster like an autist without proof, or show us your short.

P.S. I am long on the Tesla stock, once Elon starts behaving again we will be seeing ~$350.

EDIT: I'll gladly do a Toxx if someone matches it. Zerohedge Fister man, and some of the other naysayers should take this bet.

The stock price will be over $350 a share by October 5th (not counting splits). If the price is below this, ban me.

The Sicilian fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 20, 2018

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Over $350 BY Oct 5th or ON Oct 5th? TSLA was over $350 as recently as a month ago. General market volatility could get it to $350 temporarily between now and October, that's not a particularly bold prediction.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Well, my toxx was satisfied anyway.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

bawfuls posted:

Over $350 BY Oct 5th or ON Oct 5th? TSLA was over $350 as recently as a month ago. General market volatility could get it to $350 temporarily between now and October, that's not a particularly bold prediction.

On October 5th the share will be $350 or higher.

And mods, please make pun pundit actually toxx, what a lame loving bet. “I’ll change my avatar.”

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Are there Chinese tariff changes relevant to Tesla that are recently in place or expected? From what I can tell, both the rear-bucket-seat option and biohazard mode are specifically for that market, so it seems likely to matter.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

The Sicilian posted:

On October 5th the share will be $350 or higher.

And mods, please make pun pundit actually toxx, what a lame loving bet. “I’ll change my avatar.”

This isn't Wall Street Bets you weirdo.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Adiabatic posted:

This isn't Wall Street Bets you weirdo.

Lol okay then. Continue with the conspiracy theories. Later!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Toxx or get out.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Adiabatic posted:

Toxx or get out.

Ummm I already did... You responded by saying this wasn’t Wall Street bets.

I’m struggling to come up with an objective measure of performance that isn’t videos of a warehouse or conspiracy theories from zerohedge.

If you have a better concrete indicator I’d like to know. All the posts from a year plus back saying the model 3 would never come out have now shifted to saying “well it has, but no one wants to buy them.”

What is a non shiftable metric?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Objective measures of performance like.... cars delivered to customers maybe? :iiam:

Sorry for making GBS threads up the thread. I hope Tesla succeeds in spite of Musk.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

What do you mean by that? They had the first electric car with a range over 200 miles that you could actually buy, as well as the first true high-speed chargers.

That their cars are all crazy expensive is simply due to economy of scale (or lack thereof) - if they had attempted to start out with something like the $35k Model 3, they'd have gone bankrupt long ago.

The Sicilian posted:

The Kona looks like it might be a worthy alternative to the Model Y, assuming someone starts putting up some 100+kW chargers in the near future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Cockmaster posted:

What do you mean by that?

I had the same question. Tesla isn't perfect but they do have a product with a long range that nobody had achieved before.

• Locked thread