Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Wark Say posted:

Does it count if you were in a band, but then you settled down for almost a decade "only" as a recording engineer?

That’s the dream tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJwEEha__jU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dope.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

lmao

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

yes!

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

That's badass

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Snowy posted:

I kind of liked this steel panther video, maybe it’s the shaker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEuh6o9jZCk

Les Pauls as gorgeous as the one in this video make me sad that Gibson is such a terrible company.

:/

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

:wow:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Sometimes, after all these years, one of these still gets me

This was one of those times

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Snowy posted:

I kind of liked this steel panther video, maybe it’s the shaker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEuh6o9jZCk

I'm laughing at this more than I should. I like these guys. Might need to check out their music. :)

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

in the category of 'great execution, questionable taste'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zfYO9sZjrE

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Lol Tool

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

massive spider posted:

in the category of 'great execution, questionable taste'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zfYO9sZjrE
That's between Soul Added and The Whole New Level, Massive Spider.

(I know, lol Cracked, but the graph is occasionally helpful)

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Id say it sits on the bedrock directly between 'soul added' and 'troll added'. also roundtrees illustrations are the best thing to come from cracked

massive spider fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jul 18, 2018

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I can't decide if I want to model my playing more after Satriani or Hendrix. Obviously the first step in implementing this key decision will be acquiring one of their signature tone straps.

Sweaty IT Nerd fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 20, 2018

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
To be fair Satriani does have a fairly distinctive visual style so Satriani straps aren't a ridiculous idea (I kinda dig some of them TBH so maybe I'm the stupid music poo poo.)
The Hendrix straps just look like generic hippie crap, though.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I use only the finest in cordoban leathers for my guitar straps

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
I feel like putting a leather strap on a guitar is kind of like putting leather fringe on a jacket.

Don’t.

edit: Satriani talk: Am I the only one here who thinks it’s weird that Joe Satriani, the dude known for having like the most encyclopedic knowledge of theory you’ll find in a guitar player, and who seems to have given guitar lessons to about a third of every amazing guitar player you’ve ever heard of, only ever seems to release albums on technical par with “reasonably-confident-with-the-instrument bluesdad?”

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jul 20, 2018

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

This made me laugh irl u guyz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH9-_Z9obak

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

GreatGreen posted:

edit: Satriani talk: Am I the only one here who thinks it’s weird that Joe Satriani, the dude known for having like the most encyclopedic knowledge of theory you’ll find in a guitar player, and who seems to have given guitar lessons to about a third of every amazing guitar player you’ve ever heard of, only ever seems to release albums on technical par with “reasonably-confident-with-the-instrument bluesdad?”

Uh...

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Yeah that’s nowhere near accurate.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Yeah sorry maybe that wasn’t fair. I’ve been listening to his latest album though and there’s really... just not a lot to it. Like he’s just kind of meandering around and playing at about 15% of his ability the majority of the album. Not just from speed perspective, but a melodic one. A lot of stuff he’s playing is pretty stock sounding.

I realize not every guitar album is supposed to sound like a Paul Gilbert Shred-a-thon but it just seemed really odd to me.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

GreatGreen posted:

Yeah sorry maybe that wasn’t fair. I’ve been listening to his latest album though and there’s really... just not a lot to it. Like he’s just kind of meandering around and playing at about 15% of his ability the majority of the album. Not just from speed perspective, but a melodic one. A lot of stuff he’s playing is pretty stock sounding.

I realize not every guitar album is supposed to sound like a Paul Gilbert Shred-a-thon but it just seemed really odd to me.

I like the latest album, though it's not some shredtastic thing. "Thunder high on the mountain" and "Cherry blossoms" are great songs IMO. But it's different from his older stuff, which was a little more intense. Al Di Meola seems to have gone through a similar journey, from fast and technical focus back in the 80s and 90s to more thoughtful, melodic stuff on his latest.

You might want to check out "Surfing with the alien" if you want a little more rapidfire playing.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Clayton Bigsby posted:

You might want to check out "Surfing with the alien" if you want a little more rapidfire playing.

This is an excellent album recommendation.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Clayton Bigsby posted:

I like the latest album, though it's not some shredtastic thing. "Thunder high on the mountain" and "Cherry blossoms" are great songs IMO. But it's different from his older stuff, which was a little more intense. Al Di Meola seems to have gone through a similar journey, from fast and technical focus back in the 80s and 90s to more thoughtful, melodic stuff on his latest.

A guy put this on a party once and literally every woman in the house went outside within one song

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
His first four albums all feature Joe at full shred. After that it gets a lot spottier.

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head
Back in grade 9 or something I ended up getting Engines of Creation from the Columbia House mailorder company because I forgot to send the letter saying I didn't want the CD. Turned out to be a pretty good album.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
It's definitely my favorite of the late-90s "shredder awkwardly flirts with EDM" albums, of which there were surprisingly many.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

CheesyDog posted:

A guy put this on a party once and literally every woman in the house went outside within one song

the leading cause of vaginal dryness.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
on one of his instructional videos marty friedman goes over his amp settings at the beginning and refers to the gain knob as the female reducer knob

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Clayton Bigsby posted:

In the 80s I had a guitar teacher who had been in one of Brazil’s first death metal bands. However by the time we became friends his tastes had really changed. When he started trying to push Surfing with the Alien on me I knew I should stop learning anything about guitar.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

SWTA rules

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

GreatGreen posted:

I feel like putting a leather strap on a guitar is kind of like putting leather fringe on a jacket.

Don’t.

Dude you have to post a video of you playing if you're going to call satriani a "reasonably confident blues dad". I don't like listening to him but what are you thinking lol? Stupid Music poo poo III: I do not like Joe Satriani

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoERl34Ld00

Lol, if you cut this into 10 second segments they would all be completely interchangeable.

There was this one review of the last avengers-movie where they called it Movie-Loaf. All the ingredients, just mashed together and baked into something resembling a movie.

This is that thing just for guitar-music.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Did you even listen to it? The only way "Surfing With The Alien" could have a more clearly-defined structure is if it had a narrator calling out where the sections are. This is about as fundamental as instrumental music gets.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awggb72hUQY

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Sure, there's a structure. It's just an incredibly boring structure. It doesn't go anywhere. Nothing happens emotionally or narratively.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
It's just supposed to be a fun little rock song. Not everything has to shake its fist at God.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Fair enough :)