Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Anyone driving can also park at the Indianapolis Zoo for $8 a day until midnight. Less than a mile to the ICC and a nice secure lot for the cheapest rate I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Still haven't seen a charge on my CC yet for the hotel block. I called the hotel and the chick was all annoyed and didn't know anything about Gencon and told me to call them. I called the Gencon hotel block help line and the lady said the hotel reservations haven't been sent to the hotels yet. She did confirm I am in the system with my hotel, though.

It's getting pretty f'ing close to Gencon here...

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Just call back and hope you get someone different. I got it sorted with the JW Mariott but it took 3 calls.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I got my charges today.
"WHY IS MY CREDIT CARD BALANCE $600 HIG... Oh, right. The hotel."

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Shows pending now, so ... progress. Whew.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
If you're in the groupme you're probably sick of me talking about this, but if not...

Come visit me at booth #3058 and check out the bee game, Bee Lives: We Will Only Know Summer !

We also will be selling Bee pins for $10 each

AND we'll be selling games from Weird Giraffe Game's catalog.

Finally, I'm also there to talk about Gen Con history, particularly the program database project I did last year covering all 50 years of Gen Con's programs, oral histories, and more.

Even if you don't care about any of the above stop by and ask me about stairs and my house.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Go to his booth and see the bees or I will find you.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Deviant posted:

Go to his booth and see the bees or I will find you.

You're not my real dad!

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Does anyone have any other suggestions for Indian food now that Haveli is dead?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Slandible posted:

Interested in answers to this question.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

i can make a p good curry

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

🚧 GENCON FREEWAY CLOSURE WARNING! 🚧

https://www.in.gov/indot/3687.htm

A large chunk of I-65 about 1 mile north of the convention center is currently completely closed for renovations and is estimated to remain closed for the entirety of GenCon.

AIRPORT: No problem! Nothing between the convention center and the airport should be closed. You should see no issues if you are coming in from that direction.

CHICAGO: If you are driving down from Chicago, or staying on the north west side of town there will most likely be big detours and probably delays.

FORT WAYNE, ETC: Those coming from Fort Wayne down 69 may need to take a minor detour at the very end, but should be fine. South and east side travelers should also see little to no disruption.

Safe Travels!

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

That blows. My hotel is in north Indy and is 20 minutes to the convention center without convention/construction traffic. Gonna be pricey lyfts...

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Haystack posted:

https://www.in.gov/indot/3687.htm

A large chunk of I-65 about 1 mile north of the convention center is currently completely closed for renovations and is estimated to remain closed for the entirety of GenCon.

AIRPORT: No problem! Nothing between the convention center and the airport should be closed. You should see no issues if you are coming in from that direction.

CHICAGO: If you are driving down from Chicago, or staying on the north west side of town there will most likely be big detours and probably delays.

FORT WAYNE, ETC: Those coming from Fort Wayne down 69 may need to take a minor detour at the very end, but should be fine. South and east side travelers should also see little to no disruption.

Safe Travels!

Coming in from Chicago, so this is a big bummer, especially since the traffic last year was so bad.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Other than BEES! (obviously) what games are y'all looking forward to at GC2018?

Someone give me the run down on the marketplace and auction, as I've never been to them and only know they exist because of this thread last year.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I looked through the bgg gencon preview and couldn’t find more than a handful of ‘heavy’ games - are there any big ones to check out this year?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Root and Brass Birmingham are my only two planned purchases. Also going to check out the following:

Founders of Gloomhaven

Cerebria

The Estates

Yellow & Yangtze

Pictomania 2nd edition

Railroad Ink

Steamrollers

The bgg preview is good for seeing everything

https://boardgamegeek.com/geekpreview/7/gen-con-2018-preview

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I've pre-ordered Nyctophobia for pickup and am on the fence about Root. I want to get it and will at some point. I'm just not sure if I should pick it up next week or wait till it hits retail. Would help if I knew how long it was till it hit store shelves.

I'm interested in Carthago but want to try it and probably won't pick it up at the show if I like it.

The card game Highlander: The Duel is probably stupid but I love Highlander so I will at least check it out.

I play Blood Bowl weekly so I of course have to check out GW's new baby blood bowl, Blitz Bowl.

I also want to check out the new Battlestar Galactica game from Ares for many of the same reasons as the Highlander one.

Thats about it for me. Not a ton I am really excited about which is good, because right now I need to be spending my money on marketing and stuff for Bee Lives and not on games.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I think that new Transformers card game is going to be there, and I will at least play it because I am super dumb.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Ok Goons! Who wants to learn what NOT to do at Gen Con? Come watch the seminal piece of cinema from 2008, Hobocon with us at 9pm EST tonight (7/25). Now , I won't lie to you, this film is not good. But where else will you find 3 morons filming themselves going to Gen Con with no food and no where to stay while trying to make babby's first documentary of a game con?

Will post the link the group me shortly before 9 tonight, so if you aren't in the GroupMe already you better join up so you can ridicule this video with everyone.

Also this will be broadcast through rabb.it which you will probably need to get a (free) account for. I dunno, its my first time doing this. I just made sure it broadcast ok.

Link to the GroupMe: https://groupme.com/join_group/9123611/dMNjpU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I might try and snag the new WH40k RPG if any copies are available. If not, I wont be super disappointed, I'm not sure I have the time for it regardless. Outside of that, I'll be picking up a Rogue Trader reprint, some Critical Role mini and bust, and the Gencon only miniatures from SFG, Wild West Exodus, KDM, and a few other places.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Are the critical roll minis going to be at Gen Con or are you talking about that winged Vax Steamforged is releasing as a con special?

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Do I have to order Minerva from Steamforged now, or can I just buy it at GC?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
15 minutes till Hobocon starts, join the GroupMe for the link

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

nesbit37 posted:

Are the critical roll minis going to be at Gen Con or are you talking about that winged Vax Steamforged is releasing as a con special?

Winged Vax and a bust of Yasha. https://store.steamforged.com/products/critical-role-yasha-bust The kickstarter minis wont be there.

Full list of GenCon Critical Role loot listed here:

https://critrole.com/2018-gen-con-merch-announcement/

WerrWaaa posted:

Do I have to order Minerva from Steamforged now, or can I just buy it at GC?

Buy it online and select store pickup. It will list Gencon as the store. I don't know if it will just be sold on it's own.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jul 26, 2018

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Kind of a sad list of critical roll stuff. That said, I dont really know what I was expecting.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Slandible posted:

There's India Garden, which is about twice as far as Haveli's was. And a placed called Spice Box in the City Market. Haven't tried either, but they're probably decent.

WerrWaaa posted:

Other than BEES! (obviously) what games are y'all looking forward to at GC2018?

https://twitter.com/Chaosium_Inc/status/1022344931761905664

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

So, who wants to do Shot Wednesday (Wednesday night, ???pm - ???pm)

and who'd rather go to the stupid fantasy flight E3 presentation (7pm - 830pm)?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I land around 3pm Wednesday and am available for general goonings-about. I’m on the groupme, same name

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Deviant posted:

Is this even a choice? Get your ffg fix on twitter and come drink beer.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I'm doing a LARP wednesday 7-11, no way to get some shots early, huh?

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

Deviant posted:

So, we're still planning on having Shot Wednesday at the Rathskeller, right?

Moriatti posted:

I'm doing a LARP wednesday 7-11, no way to get some shots early, huh?

If you ask on GroupMe, there's a good chance you'll get some takers on that.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Both seems pretty doable. Rathskeller is open past 9, right?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

nesbit37 posted:

Kind of a sad list of critical roll stuff. That said, I dont really know what I was expecting.

Yeah, me either. One shirt looks kind of neat, but I don't need more gaming shirts. I like the bust, and the Vax mini. The map is kind of neat, but I'm not sure what I would do with it. Dice.. So many dice. I have expensive metal dice that I will never replace.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

OB_Juan posted:

Both seems pretty doable. Rathskeller is open past 9, right?

Beer garden is open until 10 Fri, Sat, Sun, noise ordinance means they are pretty strict on that.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

That was a really good venue last year that closed way too early. Noise ordinance is dumb. We need more space than HV can give.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Funzo posted:

Some friends and I are looking at going to Origins next year instead of Gen Con just because it's much cheaper to go. It's just on the edge of driving range though, to the point where it might be easier to just fly in.
This is a mistake

It is also cheaper and easier to get a cheeseburger at McDonald's than to grill one yourself in just the style you like, but you should not do that if you can only eat one burger a year.

I even sort of kind of enjoy going to Origins, but I would never recommend anyone for any reason attend it INSTEAD of Gen-Con.

Uroboros posted:

I am curious if any other goons have advice on their experience hauling their families to GenCon, and how we can better prepare in the future.
I ain't dun broughten no babbys yet, but my wife and I have discussed the logistics of the inevitable day when Neo-Quarex wants to attend, and I mean, maybe this is too obvious an advice piece, but try to make everything as manageably-long as possible. My buddy who did bring his uh I think 6-and-10-year-olds made the mistake of going to town early so they could do some Indianapolis sightseeing stuff before the convention started, but that just meant by day two of Gen-Con they were ready to go home.

It also helps generally of course if you assume each of you will watch l'child alone at least once a day so the other one can have an event sans childe. Though if you want to do events with Tiny Thing then that does get trickier.

Haystack posted:

For the record, this is actually what broke the tie of whether Captain Rat and I were getting to town Monday night or Tuesday afternoon; we imagined whatever traffic would be, it would be better at like 9 P.M. than 1 P.M. Probably. I hope.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

RE SHOT WEDNESDAY: I think that Punch Bowl Social was being considered as an option last year. I've never been in it, but it's closer to the convention center and open till 12, at the least.

Sadly, I will probably be missing most of SHOT WEDNESDAY because of other obligations. Less sadly, that other obligation is attending the Diana Jones Awards with the Chaosium crew (!!!)

Edit: Looks like Punch Bowl Social is on the expensive side, though

Haystack fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 26, 2018

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

:siren: Wednesday Chat :siren:

Okay, so unless someone has a good suggestion, I was gonna rally a group and take us to the Rathskeller on Wednesday night, with its open air beer garden area. It's uniquely suited to a shitshow of goons because we don't have to be seated by a host or waited on, we just order at the bar/counter for stuff.

However it is an uber ride away, and due to the 10pm closing time, we'd need to go reasonably early to make a good use of the time.

I am open to other suggestions, and it's not like you need my help to inebriate yourself if you wanna go somewhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Deviant posted:

:siren: Wednesday Chat :siren:

Rathskeller on Wednesday night

Say 7pm?