Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They're gonna let Dinesh D'Souza make it as a sop to the right wing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Just give it to Waititi. Make him the MCU Cosmic guy.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Just give it to Waititi. Make him the MCU Cosmic guy.

While I did find Thor 3 to be pretty funny and visually entertaining, I thought it was extremely shallow and poorly paced and I don't really wanna see more Marvel movies follow that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

quote:

UPDATE, 3:45 p.m. CT: As Deadline reports, Gunn has also been removed from the Sony Pictures panel taking place this afternoon at the San Diego Comic-Con. Gunn was set to appear on the panel promoting an as-yet-untitled horror movie he’s producing that’s—at least for now—on the studio’s schedule for November 30.

I almost feel bad for Sony Pictures

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"
Disney should've done their homework before they hired him for the first Guardians movie, if tweets from over 7 years ago is suddenly "news" to them.

A reminder that James Gunn apologized for those jokes almost SIX YEARS AGO: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/guardians-galaxy-director-james-gunn-395796

Jonny_Rocket fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 20, 2018

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

I almost feel bad for Sony Pictures

Never feel bad for Sony Pictures.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Aphrodite posted:

They would never hire Rogen or Macfarlane.

Going to be some real hypocrites coming out of this one.

Well they just bid $90 billion dollars to hire Macfarlane technically

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1020406911676502016?s=19

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

In happier news, Zazie Beetz is up for a role in Joaquin Phoenix's Joker movie. I hope she's Harley Quinn both because she is awesome and also because it would send the usual suspects into apoplectic rage.

I know that a Joker movie sounds terrible but Phoenix is one of the few actors who I would actually be interested in seeing do the character.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Waititi and Scarlett Johanson are currently making a comedy where Adolph Hitler is a main character.

Good luck to them avoiding a coordinated faux outrage attack.

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Disney should've done their homework before they hired him for the first Guardians movie, if tweets from over 7 years ago is suddenly "news" to them.

They absolutely would have. It's the whole reason why this is ridiculous and insulting.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 20, 2018

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

Waititi and Scarlett Johanson are currently making a comedy where Adolph Hitler is a main character.

Good luck to them avoiding a coordinated faux outrage attack.

Is Scarlett playing Hitler

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Waititi is.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

I love Jenny and I hope she doesn't end up doing something problematic like date Jake Paul or something.

I can't take another heartbreak.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Hey, it worked for Charlie Chaplin.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

These kinds of takes are very bad.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

Yet Micky's still wearing minstrel gloves.

Meanwhile Ike is still a Marvel CEO.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Nameless might actually be cancelled before it was even announced.

quote:

Sony Pictures had removed James Gunn from his SDCC panel scheduled for tonight. Sony will provide a statement in the coming days about the status of the project that was scheduled for 6:15 tonight.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Jonny_Rocket posted:

A reminder that James Gunn apologized for those jokes almost SIX YEARS AGO: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/guardians-galaxy-director-james-gunn-395796

Did you actually click that link? He apologized for one or two specific blog posts. As best I can tell, these tweets are "new" insofar as public discussion goes.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Nameless might actually be cancelled before it was even announced.

They definitely need a director of pure virtue for that one.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
This is seriously so dumb I’m struggling to wrap my head around it. “poo poo man the lunatic right is up in arms (???) since we cabbed Roseanne for calling black people monkeys, we simply HAVE to respond when they attempt to manufacture outrage over schoolyard comments from half a decade ago.”

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/pattonoswalt/status/1020405488029192193?s=21

Barry Convex posted:

Did you actually click that link? He apologized for one or two specific blog posts. As best I can tell, these tweets are "new" insofar as public discussion goes.
You’re right in that he apologize for those specific blog posts, I apologize. But, my point still stands - the tweets existed long before this event happened, and it wasn’t an issue until social justice warriors took satirical (unfunny and tasteless) tweets out of context

Jonny_Rocket fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jul 20, 2018

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

the exact opposite of Social Justice Warriors kicked this off.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Aphrodite posted:

These kinds of takes are very bad.

I mean, I think it's pretty fair to point out how quick and responsive this was over terrible jokes from 7 years ago are as opposed to how Disney handled John Lasseter and did nothing about Johnny Depp.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I can’t believe the extremely well-known company that primarily produces children’s entertainment fired James Gunn for making a bunch of really edgelord child abuse jokes

I am well and truly shocked.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Welp this is a good day for the sake of my stress levels to ignore all this until it goes away :buddy:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jonny_Rocket posted:

You're right in that he apologize for those specific blog posts, I apologize. But, my point still stands - the tweets existed long before this event happened, and it wasn’t an issue until social justice warriors took satirical (unfunny and tasteless) tweets out of context

Those darn Trump-supporting white nationalist social justice warriors.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Those darn Trump-supporting white nationalist social justice warriors.

I wasn’t attributing a specific party to this campaign. For the record, I’m not defending Gunn’s tweets - it’s completely his fault. It’s embarrassing that Disney didn’t know about these tweets prior to hiring him in the first place

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

zoux posted:

In happier news, Zazie Beetz is up for a role in Joaquin Phoenix's Joker movie. I hope she's Harley Quinn both because she is awesome and also because it would send the usual suspects into apoplectic rage.

I know that a Joker movie sounds terrible but Phoenix is one of the few actors who I would actually be interested in seeing do the character.

The new Joker movie with Phoenix should just be "Walk the Line" by way of a little bit of "Natural Born Killers". With Zazie in the June Carter/Harley Role.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

X-O posted:

I remember his blog of must fuckable female superheroes being an issue and that really weirderd me out but I never saw any of these rape/pedo joke tweets brought up. I mean they probably were and I missed it but that's some pretty gross stuff and handwaving it because it was a joke and he's the Troma guy is not something I'm really comfortable with.

Thank you so much for saying this, the consensus elsewhere on SA seems to be "It's just South Park humor! He was being transgressive" and I'm like :catstare:

I'm hoping people have just not read the tweets and are assuming they're much less bad then they are, if someone makes a tweet that says "I am going to rape this child sitting next to me" and your response is "Oh, what an edgelord!" then... I don't really know what to say to you? Like, clearly we're very different people, is all I'm going to say.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 20, 2018

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You can think it's South Park humor without thinking the humor is good or tasteful.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I mean they probably did know and just didn't care because nobody noticed about the old apology. They're firing him because this time it's going to be shouted across the country by the far-right machine and everybody is going to know about it.

The tweets are also really fuckin' bad. Just dogshit jokes. Even if #MeToo wasn't currently a thing they would still be inexcusably bad from a professional known primarily for gross-but-still-funny comedy.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Jonny_Rocket posted:

It’s embarrassing that Disney didn’t know about these tweets prior to hiring him in the first place

They did. It's impossible that they didn't.
edit: Or that he wrote movies for Troma. Any of it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/patrickklepek/status/1020416793981210624

That seems like a good summary of this whole thing

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Roth posted:

I mean, I think it's pretty fair to point out how quick and responsive this was over terrible jokes from 7 years ago are as opposed to how Disney handled John Lasseter and did nothing about Johnny Depp.

Tying to rank severities of horrible poo poo is dumb.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

What are the odds Disney re-hires Gunn 6 months from now when the heat has died down?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Aphrodite posted:

If this was James Gunn is a sexual abuser then I would agree, but this is lovely jokes vs sexual and domestic abuse. I can't blame Disney for firing James Gunn over those tweets, but I sure can blame them for giving this the immediate hammer but not Depp or Lasseter.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Trying to act like all bad things are equally bad is how Trump became president.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I bet they don’t unless something forces their hand.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ashpanash posted:

What are the odds Disney re-hires Gunn 6 months from now when the heat has died down?

0%

If he was a conservative, 70%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I think Jeff Goldblum would have made a good Reed Richards.

• Locked thread