Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

The byzantines are too strong. They're fuckin unbreakabuhhh...

4 times the byz 4 times the problems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

The byzantines are too strong. They're fuckin unbreakabuhhh...

If they survive this you could use the option to have china destroy the title. 4000 grace I think. Although I just did exactly that in a game I was playing and china lost, but I'm pretty sure it's because their armies got the bug you see where they are constantly changing which direction they are moving causing them to go nowhere and they eventually just declared a white peace.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It's 5000 grace and it's not even that hard to build up. It's a great way to break up the larger empires.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Civil war is like national sport to byzantines, it only makes them stronger.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jul 21, 2018

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Civil war is a sporting event, and sporting events can be civil wars. Kind of a shame the Nika Revolt predates the timeframe of the game, that would be a fun event chain.

Goon Danton fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jul 21, 2018

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It kind of is, though. If you have Legacy of Rome, the Hippodrome games have a chance to spark a riot.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

The Merovingians are NOT doing too well. We've got three separate revolts, two for independence and one for the crown, one Antipapal War and also immediately after one revolt ended Denmark came in and claimed Holland. Prior to this Austrasia was also trying to claim the French Crown. ALSO like every other loving duke or count is possessed or a lunatic and I don't know why.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

You brought the blood of the quinotaur back to power, that's what happened. Some things were meant to stay buried in the dank abyss of the ocean.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

big dyke energy posted:

The Merovingians are NOT doing too well. We've got three separate revolts, two for independence and one for the crown, one Antipapal War and also immediately after one revolt ended Denmark came in and claimed Holland. Prior to this Austrasia was also trying to claim the French Crown. ALSO like every other loving duke or count is possessed or a lunatic and I don't know why.

Possessed and lunatic just kind of happen but if it's that prevalent you might have a Satanist problem. Unless I need him for conversion or to suck the Pope's dick I keep my chaplain on hunting apostates to keep the Satanist and cult population down. Besides, it give you a great method to have troublesome vassals and courtiers killed consequence-free.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Definitely have a Satanist problem. But I don't want my chaplain to hunt apostates, because my whole family and I are secretly Jewish and the king's chaplain already burned my heir. :smith:

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

big dyke energy posted:

Definitely have a Satanist problem. But I don't want my chaplain to hunt apostates, because my whole family and I are secretly Jewish and the king's chaplain already burned my heir. :smith:

You get the final say on if your chaplain lights up the bonfire or not man. Always let your relatives off the hook, not worth Kinslayer. But yeah your liege's chaplain is beyond your control. Also chaplains that are members of your cult won't out your people. I always try to induct my liege's chaplain.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mantis42 posted:

It's 5000 grace and it's not even that hard to build up. It's a great way to break up the larger empires.

I tried that on the Byzzies in my current Abyssinia game and it failed. I was really pissed off.

Mind you, this whole game is odd. The AI reformed Romuva then fought a successful Great Holy War for Germany and held it for 50 years before a crusade stole it back, an AI merchant republic vassal inherited two baronies in my capital county even though everywhere is on Elective Monarchy, and the Abassids schismed four ways with no help at all.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
I've been sitting back and watching in awe and horror as the Byzantines continually splinter into 4-5 revolts. Each time I have tried to pick off a piece for myself the revolt ends and I have to quickly white peace out bc a united byzantine can currently raise 45k next to my measly 20k. The heir to the emperor is quick so I'm really hoping one of these revolts gets the current emperor dethroned.

The surrounding AIs are too afraid of the top levy to ever take land from them, and sending a chinese army isnt an option since theres some kind of devastating plague ravaging them at the moment.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

How does regulated inheritance work? Does it prevent any vassal being inherited outside the kingdom? Or only de jure vassal titles?

Azzanadra
Jun 18, 2008

The Light is the power of Dance

It prevents any titles under you from passing to some other guy outside your realm. Basically keeps your realm from randomly fracturing because of weird vassal inheritance shenanigans.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Moreau posted:

How does regulated inheritance work? Does it prevent any vassal being inherited outside the kingdom? Or only de jure vassal titles?

I THINK it only applies to de jure vassal titles of the title that passes that particular crown law, which to be fair is still better than nothing.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I wanted to play as the Varangian Guard but noticed that one of the recent updates stopped that exploit.

Are there any mods that would allow me to play as the Varangians or any unlanded mercenary company for that matter? I can't find anything up-to-date in the Workshop.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 24, 2018

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

QuoProQuid posted:

I wanted to play as the Varangian Guard but noticed that one of the recent updates stopped that exploit.

Are there any mods that would allow me to play as the Varangians or any unlanded mercenary company for that matter? I can't find anything up-to-date in the Workshop.

You'd probably simply need to edit landed_titles.txt, and change d_varangian_guard to get rid of landless = yes, and primary = yes. Not sure if primary = yes is even required, but landless = yes is. Getting rid of that should make it use normal Gavelkind succession, instead of Open like burghers do.

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.

QuoProQuid posted:

I mean, there's a "Mercenary Kings" mod in the workshop, but it looks like it hasn't been updated since 2016.

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost
Nantes (867) is pretty fun!

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
I love how there are two patches of Abyssinia the furthest possible from each other
There should be some kind of distance check for inheriting things

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

In the next patch there will be an option for distant enclaves to automatically go independent iirc.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I've been playing a game as Venice, not really knowing what I'm doing with a trade republic so I was kinda slow, but at this point I've eaten maybe half of Lombardy. Finally decided to zoom out and take a look at the world and my god the blobbing is insane. The empire of Francia now controls the entirety of northern europe and all of the Byzantine empire's territory. They're basically the whole map.

Is it normal for the AI to blob this much these days?

I feel like my only course of action after I've finished eating Lombardy is to swear fealty to Francia and start eating their kingdoms from the inside before bursting fourth like a trade republic xenomorph.

That'll be kinda fun so I'm not complaining, but I was rather shocked there wasn't a more dynamic world out there after 200 years.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Gavelkind ought to break that up big frankish monstrosity up, but joining an existing empire and eating it from within is highly underrated. DO IT. DO IT. DO IT. DO IT. DO IT. DO IT.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
The best "eating from within" game I did was a Charlemagne game where, after killing Karloman and reuniting Francia, I swore fealty to the Byzantines instead of forming an empire. Then, an advantageous marriage and a few stabbings later, inherited a claim on the Byzantines. It didn't take long after that to form a Catholic Karling Roman Empire.

I'm thinking of doing a repeat where instead of staying Catholic I publically convert to Orthodox while secretly staying Catholic, mend the Schism, and then convert back to Catholic. Have one giant united Europe under Rome with a vassal Pope.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Cantorsdust posted:

The best "eating from within" game I did was a Charlemagne game where, after killing Karloman and reuniting Francia, I swore fealty to the Byzantines instead of forming an empire. Then, an advantageous marriage and a few stabbings later, inherited a claim on the Byzantines. It didn't take long after that to form a Catholic Karling Roman Empire.

I'm thinking of doing a repeat where instead of staying Catholic I publically convert to Orthodox while secretly staying Catholic, mend the Schism, and then convert back to Catholic. Have one giant united Europe under Rome with a vassal Pope.

Used to be that mending the schism would prevent Crusades, and the purpose of mending the schism is to make the other form a heresy so you could holy war for it.
If you start as Charlemagne what this means in practice is you've traded Crusades for holy wars in Britain possibly (they may or may not flip orthodox), but if you just convert Byzantium to Catholicism and vassalise the Pope you can still use papal claims on Britain.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Having the Francia blob merge with Byzantium is especially awful, but yeah the biggest flaw to the Charlemagne start is the tendency for the map to get really blobby. Chances are high that most of the western world will be dominated by Francia, Byz, Abbasids, and Umyyads. Between that and the low tech/development levels, it's easily the worst start for merchant republics.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah, the Charlie start is terrible, and the game's systems can't really reflect what was going on in that period. I wish they'd add a mid 900s start for people who want early, but not too early. There's a nice sweet spot between the Karlings getting kicked mostly out of power and the HRE blob forming, and I'd love to see it get a professional touch.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Also, China will subjugate the huge Tibetan empire. The Old Gods start is just superior to the Charlie start.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Weirdly enough I haven't been seen China eat Tibet in all my attempts at a 769 Jinquan run. I usually have the opposite problem of by the time I have the 5000 Grace to get China to wreck Tibet's poo poo they broker a peace deal with the Emperor. It's annoying as hell.

E: also the one time I said gently caress it and just had China shatter the Abbasids so all that grace wouldn't go to waste in a dynasty change it resulted in Tibet breaking out hard and swallowing huge portions of land all the way up to the Byzantines.

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost
If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight!

Sun Tzu said that

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Soho Joe posted:

If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight!

Sun Tzu said that

Please fix that Mongol Empire next, tia

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Leave the twin Abyssinias alone though.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Does anyone know why Unholy Impregnation wouldn't show up as a High Priestess? There's no chance I'm pregnant. I'm wondering if it's because I was 48 when I became High Priestess. I console commanded my age down to see if I could get it to appear, but I'm wondering if it'll only add it to the menu if you're at childbearing age at the moment you become High Priestess.

I doubt this would effect it, but I did tweak the rules to enable full women's equality pre-game.

The only other potential issue is I'm using a gay marriage mod, but I've looked through all the files and it really only adds a handful of events, nothing that would obviously affect this. The only question is if, somehow, it sees me marked as my wife's "husband" and that's causing it to fail, but that'd be an odd way to check gender, and killing my wife doesn't cause it to appear.

My plan was, via a combination of console and save scumming, to ruler designer a full playthrough of satanic lesbian rulers, but with this my plan may have been foiled :v:. There is still an event from the mod I can use to get pregnant, but I kind of had my heart set on Lucifer helping me and my wife out, cuz he's been a real bro to us so far.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jul 26, 2018

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So I’m starting in tutorial isle with Mumu. Got my kid a wife and myself one too. What speed do you guys normally play at? I’m sure it varies but I’m sitting at speed 1 so as not to miss anything.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

chaosapiant posted:

So I’m starting in tutorial isle with Mumu. Got my kid a wife and myself one too. What speed do you guys normally play at? I’m sure it varies but I’m sitting at speed 1 so as not to miss anything.

if you don't mind alert spam for a lot of poo poo that you won't care about late but don't want to miss it I do 3 but there isn't a lot going on so deffo just do 4 and pause and do 2 if you get into a war or w/e

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Constantly speed 4, click event options that have more green numbers when I hover over it, do wars extremely half assed because I refuse to slow down.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I play on 4 most of the time and will drop down to 3 for relatively even strength wars.

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.
Honestly, unless I'm trying to time armies to arrive at the same day or slowing down/pausing to focus on something, I'm always on speed 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I tend to play speed 4 and pause a lot. On occasion I slow it down during a hectic phase of a war.

• Locked thread