Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

can someone deck that guy so he goes away forever like the anime nazi guy last year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I don't know, everyone comes off bad. Those tweets by Gunn...like one or two are funny but a lot are pretty...uhhhhh

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
A quick wikipedia check says he was making jokes about rape and pedophilia, which, uh, nope. But kowtowing to Cernovich is also pretty, uh, nope.

I dunno, just don't milkshake duck the Russos please.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

the dude started by working at troma, there's probably going to be some dark humor in his past this poo poo is stating to feel puritanical, and that it's being led by a living poo poo like cernovich makes the whole thing a gigantic pile of hypocritical bullshit to begin with

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

#FireTrevorNoah all over again

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I went to see Skyscraper today. It was dumb as all hell but it was a good date night popcorn kinda movie :)

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, if you're expecting anything but a Dumb Rock Movie I'm not sure why you would be in a theater for this, but it's fine for what it is

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

VJeff posted:

A quick wikipedia check says he was making jokes about rape and pedophilia, which, uh, nope. But kowtowing to Cernovich is also pretty, uh, nope.

I dunno, just don't milkshake duck the Russos please.

Those tweets were found years ago and he apologized and owned up to them as terrible products of an edgelord troma kid who thought he was being clever.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

an edgelord troma 40-45 year old

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

DeathChicken posted:

Yeah, if you're expecting anything but a Dumb Rock Movie I'm not sure why you would be in a theater for this, but it's fine for what it is
i guess the main disappointment was the lack of wisecracking, it was pretty po faced start to finish

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Cavauro posted:

an edgelord troma 40-45 year old

fire everyone who has made a bad dirty joke, especailly when conservative pundits who have said worse poo poo as actual points of view are the ones leading the crusade

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

there was something funny i noticed in another post so i commented on it. keep doing your thing. it's cool

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

what i want to know is what moron working in disney's pr department didn't say "hey, noticed you made a bunch of lovely tweets, why are those still up" i'm an idiot who should read

obviously resurfacing them was done in bad faith but the posts also were bad and this is a place where, in addition to saying, "i disown these tweets i made" you can literally disown them by deleting them forever, years ago, when you get hired by disney i'm an idiot who should read

edit: also james gunn himself is already unfathomably rich and therefore will never suffer any serious consequences otherwise associated with getting fired so genuinely who cares other than disney shareholders, who probably should be mad because in addition to the thing i said up there, lmao folding to mike cernovich??

saffi faildotter fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 21, 2018

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

alright. i looked into it and based on those tweets billy gunn really likes to do horrible unspeakable things in real life that get people murdered in prison. he put a lot of those things in his movies so he could jack it off; that dick. thankfully it looks like he has no children, probably due to his urges

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

Cavauro posted:

alright. i looked into it and based on those tweets billy gunn really likes to do horrible unspeakable things in real life that get people murdered in prison. he put a lot of those things in his movies so he could jack it off; that dick. thankfully it looks like he has no children, probably due to his urges

this is definitely true. james gunn is the smokescreen covering up the family continuing to associate with mister rear end for all these years

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Male. Bi. Unix. posted:

what i want to know is what moron working in disney's pr department didn't say "hey, noticed you made a bunch of lovely tweets, why are those still up"

obviously resurfacing them was done in bad faith but the posts also were bad and this is a place where, in addition to saying, "i disown these tweets i made" you can literally disown them by deleting them forever, years ago, when you get hired by disney

edit: also james gunn himself is already unfathomably rich and therefore will never suffer any serious consequences otherwise associated with getting fired so genuinely who cares other than disney shareholders, who probably should be mad because in addition to the thing i said up there, lmao folding to mike cernovich??

they were deleted years ago

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

yea ok posted:

they were deleted years ago

whoops i'm a dumbass. i still want the disney social media person's job tho, sounds cushy

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

it's ok. i think they're pretty disgusting things to say except for Jerkloose which i laughed at. and a couple of others. but them being deleted + already apologized for before he even directed galaxy 1, + years of not saying any crap like that. just adds a wrinkle to it all. add in nazis and it's quite the mess

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

if you say or do a lovely thing you first have to own up to it and then you have to demonstrate your willingness to undo it in some form or fashion. I thought James had already taken care of all that to everyone's satisfaction but I guess Disney shareholders are a different breed.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I blame Roseanne, if they hadn't fired him after she was fired they would have faced a monumental shitfit from idiots

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

DeathChicken posted:

I blame Roseanne, if they hadn't fired him after she was fired they would have faced a monumental shitfit from idiots

Good.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

How the gently caress do these morons keep acting like the right can be negotiated or reasoned with

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

DeathChicken posted:

I'll let you in on a little secret: Those idiots would have thrown a monumental shitfit regardless of what happened.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I like that there is one theory that Marvel was looking for any reason to fire Gunn because they hate "auteurs" and want movies directed by nobodies who listen to Feige and direct in the Marvel House Style.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

I don't know how that carries weight after Ragnarok and Black panther

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah that really doesn't match up. Antman and the Wasp, fun as it was, may have been generically directed but Black Panther and Ragnarok were definitely highly stylized affairs with their directors given a ton of freedom to make the films they wanted.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

achillesforever6 posted:

And the other source was the guy hawking loving Pizzagate

I hope the cast stands up for James to force Disney to rehire him
https://twitter.com/DaveBautista/status/1020502763430559744
Good on Big Dave

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
The fact of the matter is: every single person in the world has done or said something stupid, lovely, or repulsive.

Decent people realize that and change and grow. (e.g. most people)

lovely people just keep being lovely and bad and don’t realize the scope of why they’re lovely (e.g. Hogan, Roseanne)

James Gunn doesn’t seem to fall in that latter category. So I hope he pulls through.

Also gently caress Mike Cernovich. Fuckin beady eyed oval office.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I didn't know about any of this and holy poo poo that sucks. Also all my good luck from the other day of happyposting has COMPLETELY reversed. So yeah. Fuuuuuck.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Jackie D posted:

How the gently caress do these morons keep acting like the right can be negotiated or reasoned with

because anyone with financial power has their sympathies with the majority of their politics even if they can't admit it to themselves

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the tweets are really really gross and considering the problems hollywood has its not just poor taste its just a really bad red flag and i really dont feel the need to see him employed by anyone again.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

idk man. by 100% of accounts he's done everything "right" according to performative outrage people (which i'm one of). his multiple apologies over the years for the same things have always come off as completely sincere, with years of actual evidence towards being a changed person. obviously they're disgusting jokes but idk. when someone reforms and does things the right way and is still ousted cause of alt-right nonsense it's a worse taste in my mouth than making kidfucking jokes.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

People and particularly corporations are still so new to the idea of social brigading as an online tactic that they haven't yet figured out how to not panic and put social context to the thing instead of knee-jerk reacting, and the first, most important bit of that context is always "who is instigating this and why," and when the answers are "Mike Cernovich" and "because he wants more people to contribute to his patreon so he can fund his Rape Is A Fake Idea World Tour 2019" and you're a company the size of loving Disney you should probably figure out that you're going to eat more poo poo for kowtowing than you would by just ignoring him.

i mean, it'd be cool if the question could instead be "what is the ethically correct thing to do" but, being Disney, that hasn't mattered for a long time

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

STONE COLD 64 posted:

the tweets are really really gross and considering the problems hollywood has its not just poor taste its just a really bad red flag and i really dont feel the need to see him employed by anyone again.

Fire the South Park guys, they made jokes in bad taste at times and it's probably a red flag or whatever lets just do what loving Mike Thernovich says when he has proven to actually hold evil beliefs

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

making jokes about loving children in an industry rampant with pedophilia is a far cry from south park which is satirizing other people (if poorly) rather than making the joke themselves. yeah the people that caused this movement are hot burning garbage who should all be launched into the sun but that doesn't take away what gunn did.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

yea ok posted:

idk man. by 100% of accounts he's done everything "right" according to performative outrage people (which i'm one of). his multiple apologies over the years for the same things have always come off as completely sincere, with years of actual evidence towards being a changed person. obviously they're disgusting jokes but idk. when someone reforms and does things the right way and is still ousted cause of alt-right nonsense it's a worse taste in my mouth than making kidfucking jokes.

i believe gunn and cernovich and folk should just be put in a room and filled with cement, its not like gunn made bad jokes as a dumb teenager, he made bad jokes in an industry where what he joked about still runs rampant.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

gunn didn't do poo poo and you could probably rally against the real problem in the industry instead of a guy who started in schlock independent movies outside the system making bad jokes when he was nowhere near the hollywood elite that are the actual cause of the systematic abuse. ESPECIALLY when he's already apologized time and time again because, gently caress it, aren't we all allowed to make a lovely joke. Just have him make a big public apology again unless he committed an actual crime or... i don't know, did it when he knew better after he had apologized a million times and has shown time and time again it was in bad taste

AGAIN this is #FireTevorNoah all over again

Big Coffin Hunter fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jul 21, 2018

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

yea ok posted:

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
i think you should be allowed to joke about anything, as long as you're funny. but if you tell a weird joke that isn't funny, your life is destroyed and you lose everything you've ever had, you are completely and utterly annihilated and exiled from society, you are stripped of your rights, dignity, and name, and made to live as a beast in the wilderness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Baron Corbin posted:

i think you should be allowed to joke about anything, as long as you're funny. but if you tell a weird joke that isn't funny, your life is destroyed and you lose everything you've ever had, you are completely and utterly annihilated and exiled from society, you are stripped of your rights, dignity, and name, and made to live as a beast in the wilderness

especially when the guy who calls you out specifically fights against the idea of sexual assault being a real thing and is a right wing snake oil salesman with an obvious agenda