Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Phrosphor posted:

There used to be a mod that made power armour pieces really rare, and reworked power armour a little. I can't remember what it is called, does anyone remember? I have tried searching on the nexus but it looks to mostly be space marine power armour reskins on there at the moment.

That sounds like Some Assembly Required, which deleted all pre-set suits of power armor and replaced them with loot caches, and pieces were instead placed on an individual basis around the world, with their location depending on the quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

toasterwarrior posted:

That sounds like Some Assembly Required, which deleted all pre-set suits of power armor and replaced them with loot caches, and pieces were instead placed on an individual basis around the world, with their location depending on the quality.

And is also on the Horizon recommended mod list

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

toasterwarrior posted:

Thats it! Thanks!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Speaking of power armor, there used to be a mod that gave the helmet visors a night vision effect that you could add on the frame workbench. But now I can't find it anywhere. Do any of y'all know what mod that was, or if it even still exists?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

DoubleNegative posted:

Speaking of power armor, there used to be a mod that gave the helmet visors a night vision effect that you could add on the frame workbench. But now I can't find it anywhere. Do any of y'all know what mod that was, or if it even still exists?

West-Tek Tactical Optics: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/12220/

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Speaking of Assembly required, does it change how repairs work? I use the mod and for some reason I cannot repair any part even if I have the resources.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bholder posted:

Speaking of Assembly required, does it change how repairs work? I use the mod and for some reason I cannot repair any part even if I have the resources.

Just to clarify, are you using it on its own or with Horizon? Horizon adds perk requirements for repairing power armour (which don’t get mentioned since I don’t think the FO4 UI has a way to display that). I believe it’s one rank of blacksmithing and science for each tier of power armour but it might just be blacksmithing.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

That's the one! Thanks!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

I like the thermals because they show ghouls that are playing dead.

FrostyJones
Sep 23, 2012
Any cool Horizon compatible melee weapons out there? Some like a hatchet/tomahawk or better machete?

Edit: Turns out this huge weapon pack https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/32141?tab=description has hella options and is fairly new.

FrostyJones fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jul 18, 2018

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Any of you know about a mod that would highlight which material components an item is made of / contains when simply looking at it? I've searched through NMM with "scrap" "material" "content" "components", etc. but can't find anything satisfactory.
It's not really a necessity, but good god, it should cut down on the time I spend picking up junk, checking what components it has, and then possibly dropping it again, or trying to make a mental note that I don't need to look for it again

FrostyJones
Sep 23, 2012

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Any of you know about a mod that would highlight which material components an item is made of / contains when simply looking at it? I've searched through NMM with "scrap" "material" "content" "components", etc. but can't find anything satisfactory.
It's not really a necessity, but good god, it should cut down on the time I spend picking up junk, checking what components it has, and then possibly dropping it again, or trying to make a mental note that I don't need to look for it again

DEF_UI does this.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Duzzy Funlop posted:

FrostyJones posted:

DEF_UI does this.

Also the perk Scrapper at 2 or 3 will highlight items on the ground/containers that have components that you have tagged to search via the crafting menu. I thought it was a UI bug for a while.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

FrostyJones posted:

Any cool Horizon compatible melee weapons out there? Some like a hatchet/tomahawk or better machete?

Edit: Turns out this huge weapon pack https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/32141?tab=description has hella options and is fairly new.

How did this work out for you? It looks neat but I'm wondering about the quality and it seems like a pain in the arse to install.

FrostyJones
Sep 23, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

How did this work out for you? It looks neat but I'm wondering about the quality and it seems like a pain in the arse to install.

Sadly, everything was rather underwhelming when compared to the Nuka-World stuff I got lucky enough to loot off Raider/Gunner bosses. The archive stuff isn't too much of a hassle, just make sure to follow the linked instructions to the letter.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Shame, honestly I think Horizon in general does a good job of making more weapons more usable with its rechambering options and it adds in a few new ones where they would be useful, including a pile of new high end melee weapons.

I think the only gun I wish it had was the ability to mod the n99 into a rifle style pistol carbine.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

FrostyJones posted:

DEF_UI does this.

Am I misreading this, or does DEF UI require a separate mod to enable that feature? This bit is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Am I misreading this, or does DEF UI require a separate mod to enable that feature? This bit is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for.

No Tags
Our Tags
Someone Else's Tags

FrostyJones
Sep 23, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Shame, honestly I think Horizon in general does a good job of making more weapons more usable with its rechambering options and it adds in a few new ones where they would be useful, including a pile of new high end melee weapons.

I think the only gun I wish it had was the ability to mod the n99 into a rifle style pistol carbine.

The 12.7mm Pistol in that weapon pack looks like it has a option for a stock, but I didn't try to install it.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
So I kinda wanna give this another go, due to last time I did so was before the nuka world dlc.

I love the settlement system(especially with simsettlements, a mod I never really got to try out much, due to being in like, early alpha at the time), so any mod that makes that more interesting is greatly appreciated(For example, are there any good mods that let you start a settlement anywhere, a la the mod that did that for new vegas?)
The run I want to go for is a melee sneaky based character using VAFS, mainly wanting a more ammo scarce experience where most raiders would be using improvised weapons(Melee, bows, crossbows, that weapon that chucks random poo poo, etc) rather than spewing expensive ammo at anything nearby) And obviously mods that add said improvised weapons.
I want to be hosed over hard if I tackle an area wrong, so I'm looking for stealth and combat revamps that are worth using.
Also in general looking for a good alternate start mod, and interesting quest mods.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
So lets post some interesting mods I found in Nexus in the last few weeks. Hold onto your hats now we're not going to talk about survival based overhauls for a few posts!

Junk Land Firearms adds several more weapons following the theme of 'scrap pulled together to kill stuff'. Nuka World DLC required.
Trench Shotguns updates ever-action and auto-fed variants of Akanami's Trench Shotguns to the game. Far Harbor required.
M60 LMG adds The Pig to F4.
Bulldog .308 Bullpup DMR an interesting alternative to a good assault rifle.
Schofield No.2 Revolver be even more cowboy.
Winchester Model 1897 Shotgun another old school firearm.
Tomacuzi-9 - Americas Worst somebody gets creative and welds these guns together to make Frankengunsmiths Monster.
Anarchist Cook Book Volume 2 even more improvised explosives for F4.

NCR Desert Raven Armor a distinctive custom themed version of a nice set of NCR Ranger armor from FNV.
Fallout Tactics Midwest Power Armor Evolution a much better higher resolution customization friendly version of this style of power armor.
Main Force Patrol - A Mad Max Mod a somehow lore friendly but on the spot recreation of the original Mad Max leather cop and road warrior outfits.
COWBOY LUX Chaps for Males Crack that whip!
German WW1 Style Leather Pickelhaube MEIN GOTT
Marine Armor Camo Patterns Far Harbor needed of course.
STRAC Hats several military style hats from base game utterly remodeled to look nicer.
Unique X-01 makes this set of power armor actually have a static spawn location instead of being random loot.
Proctor Teagan Sells BOS Clothing makes the BOS Quarter Master actually do his loving job.

Kellogg's Cybernetic Implants - KCI an alternative and more up to date lore friendly player cybernetic upgrades system.
Advanced Synth and Courser Uniforms adds and updates a bunch of gear which upgrades and perks that give boosts and advantages to the player.
Codpiece Begone removes the crotch protection from the metal armor.
RobCo Detection Boy is a device that scans out and adds blips to your HUD. Good for a modified survival run or low perception characters.
Automatron Expanded Weapons System Unleash the true potential of your robot followers with an all new arsenal of weapons and customizations! adds new weaponry and expands the default selection for your perfect killbot friend!
Strong's Vault Suit lets Strong cosplay as Fawkes.
Grittier Mysterious Stranger makes the NPC look more lore friendly and less generic guy.
Supermutant Retexture swaps green skin out for gritty looking gray.
Better Deacon Disguises Simply edits the outfits of the disguised Deacons so that they don't stand out as much.
Feral Undomesticated - A Pack Clothing Override and Addon set tweaks the Feral gang from Far Harbor to look less comical.
Scavengers populates the Wasteland with a whole neutral Scavenger faction NPC that you can ally with, trade with fight or steal from. DLC heavy.
C.A.R.T. - the immersive shopping cart container your very own shopping cart to horde and push stuff around with you in Survival mode.
Cook With Wood makes it so fire needs wood to cook things. Yep, another SURVIVAL mod.
Ball- A Fetching Mod lets you play fetch with Dogmeat.
Grow A Hair brings the hair growing mechanic from Witcher 4 to Fallout 4. At last your locks can grow and flow.
Realistic Conversations makes passive NPC interactions with each other less awkward and robotic.
Sleepless Nights makes sleeping in the wilderness dangerous by introducing a chance for NPC ambush during sleep.
Less Annoying Water Rain Ripples If you're using a mod that makes the nights dark, you've probably seen them: White ripples on black water during dark rainy nights. This mod fixes this by making those ripples dark as well.
Unified Commonwealth Weather Unified Commonwealth Weather, quite simply, adds Far Harbor and Nuka World weathers to the main Commonwealth
F4NV - Cinematic Last Kill Implements the cinematic last kill feature from Fallout 4: New Vegas, inspired by Fallout New Vegas. A short slow-motion effect will play once you kill the last enemy in the area.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
I'm not even sure how to google this? I have bat files to add specific gear loadouts to some kinds of settlers (like guards and provisioners) and they used to work, but lately, every time I zone into a settlement, everyone's wearing the same poo poo they started with. I don't know if this is Better Settlers acting up, or equipitem no longer working the way it used to, but is there a foolproof way to slap a gear set on a settler and have it stick?

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

After running the bat file, open up trade with them and manually unequip/re-equip the items. That works for me.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
I'll try it, thanks.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I'm sure this has been asked and disappointed before, has anyone ever made arm mounted weapons in fallout 4? I wanna play war machine. Maybe invisible gun models would work.

Nika
Aug 9, 2013

like i was tanqueray
Hi everyone....I wanted to see if anyone here would be interested in beta-testing an upcoming companion/quest mod I've working on? (FOR THE PAST YEAR AND A HALF OH MY GOD I KINDA WANNA DIE TBH)

It has 4-6 hours of gameplay, main quest and side quest, companion whom the story revolves around, a custom radio station, custom soundtrack (still in progress, almost done).

Does anyone here have any interest in something like that? I'm looking to start the beta program in about a week or so, just trying to gauge interest while I get everything ready.

Here's a few screenshots and a teaser trailer I threw together to give an idea of what the mod/companion looks like. (and just a small gripe, but GOD it's so hard making anything that moves in a Fallout game look cinematic or halfway decent, because of the janky in-game camera. Apologies for that, I really tried hard!) =(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajWfjoLW8Yg

edit: dang those pictures showed up really small...here's the link to the imgur album where you can see them full size:

https://imgur.com/gallery/KT6QuRB/comment/1445058625

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

There's absolutely interest, I can guarantee that.

Looks great!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Nalesh posted:

So I kinda wanna give this another go, due to last time I did so was before the nuka world dlc.

I love the settlement system(especially with simsettlements, a mod I never really got to try out much, due to being in like, early alpha at the time), so any mod that makes that more interesting is greatly appreciated(For example, are there any good mods that let you start a settlement anywhere, a la the mod that did that for new vegas?)
The run I want to go for is a melee sneaky based character using VAFS, mainly wanting a more ammo scarce experience where most raiders would be using improvised weapons(Melee, bows, crossbows, that weapon that chucks random poo poo, etc) rather than spewing expensive ammo at anything nearby) And obviously mods that add said improvised weapons.
I want to be hosed over hard if I tackle an area wrong, so I'm looking for stealth and combat revamps that are worth using.
Also in general looking for a good alternate start mod, and interesting quest mods.

I've been playing with Horizon/Sim Settlements and it's been great fun. I threw in his recommended mods which were Everyone's Best Friend (Dogmeat is a permanent companion), DEF_UI and Armorsmith Extended. In addition I got one that turns the pipboy light into a cone flashlight, NAC (weather/lighting mod that seems to be the best combination of lightweight and comprehensive), a mod that lets me quick save and fast travel in Survival, a better pipboy map and Scrap Everything. That's from memory since I'm not at home but I think that's everything.

My first character ended up being a throwaway because I relied too much on prewar food and I was super irradiated all the time. My second character I explored a little more extensively and took the Hunter perk and now I'm much better off. I have absolutely no idea how people play without quick saving every 10 seconds. I've avoided using fast travel but quick save has been a must. I've been having a hard time getting into games lately but this mod combo sucked me right in.

Edit: oh yeah I should have mentioned, 30 hours so far and it only crashed once for no obvious reason. The only bug I have is that sometimes my characters skin turns to like, leather or something. Same with Piper, the only human companion I have found. Reloading fixes it about 50% of the time so it's not a big deal. Not sure what's up with that cause I don't have any texture mods or anything. Every now and then I run into a radroach or bloatfly that seems like it takes way too many hits to take down but that may be my imagination.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 22, 2018

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I have absolutely no idea how people play without quick saving every 10 seconds.

Have you ever played roguelikes? Do you remember old video games with 3 lives and no save functionality at all? Survival mode is not even ironman permadeath. We have save points!

Gamers get too used to save scumming as a normal part of gameplay and never experience any loss or regret, nor ever have any feeling of satisfaction because of a risk overcome. It becomes all about immersion or progression, both of which miss the point of an RPG.

I RP all of the deaths like they are prophetic nightmares.

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jul 22, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You definitely need it in a bethsoft game due to stability issues, losing an hour of progress because you crashed or the game bugged out is loving stupid.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Only if you are irrationally hung up on your delusions of progress.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean you certainly could just run laps around the perimeter of sanctuary for the entire game if you wanted to and I'm not entirely sure you don't but certainly most games of any sort involve working towards a goal of some sort.

Chess for example is not improved by having someone push the table over every 45 minutes.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

Have you ever played roguelikes? Do you remember old video games with 3 lives and no save functionality at all? Survival mode is not even ironman permadeath. We have save points!

Gamers get too used to save scumming as a normal part of gameplay and never experience any loss or regret, nor ever have any feeling of satisfaction because of a risk overcome. It becomes all about immersion or progression, both of which miss the point of an RPG.

I RP all of the deaths like they are prophetic nightmares.

Have you played Horizon on Survival though? I feel like you have to actually play it before you make this statement. I feel like I would have to be decked out with full gear at like level 20 before I could even start loving with the simplest band of raiders. Also lol that progression misses the point of an RPG. Also roguelikes are designed around the fact that you are going to die. Fallout 4 is clearly designed around the fact that you have quicksave.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jul 22, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Actually I think you will find that limited lives were an excellent feature and definitely not an attempt to get people to put more money in the arcade machine.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

survival runs can be fun but hooboy is it a lot of time spent just hoofing it from point A to point B

its like the time i did skyrimse's survival mode with no fast travel and it was fun and immersive maybe the like first 10-20 hours and then its like no way in hell am i climbing up high hrothgar yet again for the third or fourth time

for just roaming the countryside or going from settlement to settlement and clearing POIs in between its fine but a lot of quests have you running from one side of the map to the other (everything with having to get to virgil is a pretty big annoyance in survival)

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What'd be a good settlement early on for horizon+simsettlements? Hangman used to be my bae but I don't see how I could fit in all the sim settlement stuff in there.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nalesh posted:

What'd be a good settlement early on for horizon+simsettlements? Hangman used to be my bae but I don't see how I could fit in all the sim settlement stuff in there.

Hangman's alley has a city plan which makes it very vertical.

Otherwise I generally make my main industrial settlement at starlight.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Oh I never noticed that 2x3 option, wasn't in last time i played. Time to make apartments :v:

Placing walls is still a royal pain though

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you haven't got it I really recommend rise of the commonwealth because hangman's is probably the best use for it given how vertical it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also if you get Build High (with the More Attackers - Get Off My Buildzone patch) it expands all of the settlements immensely. Hangman's Alley also gets the river road, the bridge up until the crashed ferry, the road from there up until near the Diamond City security outpost, parts of the city streets west of the alley itself, and even most of the flooded road tunnel. With enough time and resources, you can make a seriously expansive urban settlement. Set up catwalk apartments and put windmills on the rooftops for power.