Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

I like how all the Octopathingers want to fucken each other.

e: This works even better after seeing H'aanit's convo with Primrose...

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
God drat this horny game

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mega64 posted:

I like how all the Octopathingers want to fucken each other.
hmm

aw shucks, friendzoned again

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Your Computer posted:

hmm

aw shucks, friendzoned again

Shucks...

e: Wow, H'aanit's C2 convos are surprisingly good overall.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 20, 2018

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
One very bewildering dance later and the B team shot up from 30 to 52, surpassing the A team by a level. 100x XP is some real poo poo.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Whoa! I just finished Alfyn's ch1 with Therion, H'aanit, and Ophilia. This game rules so hard. I saw my first 4 figure damage number with Alf. This guy's axe hits like a truck!!

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Bussamove posted:

Better than me, Ive got a shitload in my inventory I refuse to use because what if someone else needs it more oh god.

This is my curse in any RPG with stat-increasing items.

yeah same

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

I did actually find something amazing while experimenting with the dance. You can summon a Cait as a rare monster and it replaces one of the enemies. :aaa:

Ran into that last night and didn't notice it, cat ran away next turn...

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I am genuinely convinced there is a decimal point in the incorrect spot somewhere in the damage calculation for Steal SP, I do not think this was meant to do as much damage as it does because I'm just now getting my final party member and no one is even close to the amount of damage Therion dishes out

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

Whoa! I just finished Alfyn's ch1 with Therion, H'aanit, and Ophilia. This game rules so hard. I saw my first 4 figure damage number with Alf. This guy's axe hits like a truck!!

Yeah Alfyn owns extremely hard. Hits hard, super versatile thanks to concoct, and once you have enough ingredients he can feed the whole party BP constantly.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I am genuinely convinced there is a decimal point in the incorrect spot somewhere in the damage calculation for Steal SP, I do not think this was meant to do as much damage as it does because I'm just now getting my final party member and no one is even close to the amount of damage Therion dishes out

I've seen a lot of people mention this but I've never seen it myself. Like, when my steal SP was doing 2x500 damage, Alfyn was already hitting for a couple of thousand in one amputate. Now it's doing around 2x1200 but a good amputate can deal 6-7k. And the spellcasters happily deal out thousands of damage to each mob, sometimes multiple times.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
When's the Job Fest??!?!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I guess it's canon

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I finished all the chapter 1s and got all the subjobs (except Merchant) and I'm super unsure about what to do with Tressa (my main).

On the one hand, I can grab the final Merchant Passive and combine it with the Dancer SP regen passive to make her an insane Scholar.

On the other hand, I could spec her as a Thief and give out SP and BP like candy to the rest of my team.

I'm so conflicted.

Oh my god this game is so good so far

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Thief Tressa is extremely good, and cool

Killed my first Cait and got 4 levels each

Game rules???

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

But is Thief Tressa better than spell nuking Tressa? :ohdear:

Probably, but that half SP cost ability is sooooo tempting.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Some Numbers posted:

That's a trick question, all Tressa are best Tressa

Seriously though, she's a great all-rounder and both of those choices are excellent. Hunter Tressa is also extremely strong because she has the cutest costume in the game.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Your Computer posted:

Hunter Tressa is also extremely strong because she has the cutest costume in the game.

It turns out every game is actually Fashion Souls

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

What triggers the party banter? I haven't seen any of it yet.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I got my first bit of party banter when I started doing Tressa's Chapter 2.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

Kashuno posted:

I am going to start this game over when I complete it and only use my starting character + a subclass and see how long it takes a solo character to complete their story.

Might be able to break the game with dancer and getting lucky.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
My Tressa is currently Warrrior cause hitting things is always useful

I might make her a healer or apothecary in the end because I don't want to waste her BP share usage.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Elderbean posted:

It starts during Chapter 2. You start getting pop ups with certain people in the party

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Elderbean posted:

It happens only during chapters (not in free play), starting in chapter 2, and requires you to have the participants in your party. They unlock after plot events.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Some Numbers posted:

Thief is nice for being an SP battery, but on the other hand you can just buy SP restoring items if you really want to. I'm actually kind of not too into Sage because I find Cyrus mostly twiddling his thumbs during boss battles, and even once I've broken the enemy his damage output is meh at best. He's great for clearing out random encounters though, so Sage is probably best paired with something like Dancer, who has lots of downtime during random encounters but has lots to do during boss fights. Tressa has good coverage with Spear/Bow/Wind, and thief makes it even better. Plus, thief does a hundred bazillion single-target damage which is great against bosses. Thief > Sage any day.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Oh my God H'aanit is ultraviolet gay and I am here for it

Speaking of, I've put Eye for an Eye, Patience and Second Serving on her. All she does is attack, all the drat time. Video games don't have rules when she's around. Turned based her rear end, it's H'aanit's turn.

I keep imaging Alfyn standing next to her, shakily whispering, "H'aanit, no, you gotta wait."

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Bean posted:

Oh my God H'aanit is ultraviolet gay and I am here for it

Speaking of, I've put Eye for an Eye, Patience and Second Serving on her. All she does is attack, all the drat time. Video games don't have rules when she's around. Turned based her rear end, it's H'aanit's turn.

I keep imaging Alfyn standing next to her, shakily whispering, "H'aanit, no, you gotta wait."

Im kinda mad at H'aanit because she's got SO much going on that she makes some other characters kinda boring. Like, hmmm, yeah I could take Cyrus with me and cast my two spells, or I could take H'aanit and heal my whole team inflict status ailments use one of my two weapons or any weapon type with monsters buff party crit rate movespeed up

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I really don't get the whole 'H'aanit is gay' thing based off those lines.

She's talked about the sort of guy she likes with primrose, and that conversation is about how Eliza is a beautiful role model for ophelia and h'aanit, and they realize that they also consider each other beautiful. It seemed to be a self esteem thing more than anything.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Thief is nice for being an SP battery, but on the other hand you can just buy SP restoring items if you really want to. I'm actually kind of not too into Sage because I find Cyrus mostly twiddling his thumbs during boss battles, and even once I've broken the enemy his damage output is meh at best. He's great for clearing out random encounters though, so Sage is probably best paired with something like Dancer, who has lots of downtime during random encounters but has lots to do during boss fights. Tressa has good coverage with Spear/Bow/Wind, and thief makes it even better. Plus, thief does a hundred bazillion single-target damage which is great against bosses. Thief > Sage any day.

I can't get anyone to do damage comparable to Cyrus. I use H'aanit, Ophelia and Therion in my party at around level 47. Ophelia can do maybe ~6k damage against a broken enemy if she has everything stacked in her favor, H'aanit and Therion are pretty even at being able to dish out around 10-12k if they get a Patient proc and have leftover BP.

My Cyrus hits broken bosses for around 50k on a single turn with only 3BP. He also regenerates 26sp every turn.

Everyones' gear is up to date and everyone has passives to maximize their damage :shrug:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jul 21, 2018

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I only just did my first chapter two (Tressa's) and then went around getting subclass shrines. Now my party is Haanit +Dancer, Tressa +Scholar, Alfyn +Warrior, and Ophelia +Thief. Tressa just nukes everything, Alfyn hits like a truck, and Ophelia and Haanit basically do their normal thing with a couple extra tricks. Choosing what to do with Haanit was the hardest because she really doesn't need a subclass with how flexible she already is.

I'm really loving the graphics and combat in this game, and the world is pretty nice too. But man the story just feels weird with the other party members being so uninvolved in the missions so far. Not a deal breaker at all but so far it's got the least memorable story I've played since Star Ocean 4.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I couldn't sleep and I decided to give the runelord another try and I beat it! :toot:

In true Tressa fashion, I ended up killing it by throwing tons of money at it. I must've spent like 120k on it (although I stole collected 80k so it wasn't that bad) by using Ophilia's divine to get Tressa's hired hands to trigger twice. A fully boosted 30k mercenary did 4x3.5k damage... and then 4x3.5k damage again due to the divine. That's a lot of damage especially considering I'm under the recommended level.

Can't wait to do my first chapter 4 with this awesome new job :3:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pharohman777 posted:

I really don't get the whole 'H'aanit is gay' thing based off those lines.

She's talked about the sort of guy she likes with primrose, and that conversation is about how Eliza is a beautiful role model for ophelia and h'aanit, and they realize that they also consider each other beautiful. It seemed to be a self esteem thing more than anything.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

So am I right in my assumption that the final skill gets unlocked when you buy everything else? Or is it an FF7 situation where you have to get an item or something to unlock it?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

It cracks me up that they have Prim's and Ophelia's followers physically follow you. They should have H'aanit's menagerie follow her too. Just like a dozen animals trucking through town making the switch overheat.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

So am I right in my assumption that the final skill gets unlocked when you buy everything else? Or is it an FF7 situation where you have to get an item or something to unlock it?

Yeah, once you've bought the rest it opens up to buy.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I've located all the super shrines! So far I've only done runelord. Made a few attempts at archmagus and it's rough if I don't chain the breaks just right. How do the other two compare in difficulty? I know I don't need to worry about unlocking them given I still have a number of Chapter 3's to do but they are shiny and I want them!

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Runelord trivializes Warmaster if you use Tressa.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride
What’s the scoop on secondary jobs? I don’t really understand how to use them to their best potential. Should I be giving jobs to characters that match their skills, like Cleric to Cyrus because it boosts his magic? Or should I be thinking mainly about skills?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I've mostly been thinking about Passive skills, like the Thief's free attack and double loot skills synergize really well with the Merchant's Collect, the Merchant's half SP and the Dancer's SP regen work really well on a spellcaster.