Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I forgot what numlock even does, I never have it on. And what's the deal with scroll lock?
Num Lock switches between the number and other functions of the numeric keypad (eg. Home, End, PgUp, PgDn, Ins, Del and arrows). Scroll Lock generally does absolutely nothing these days but in the days of text interfaces it would switch between automatic and manual scrolling so you could go through text at your own pace rather than having it disappear off the screen as soon as more text appeared at the bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
When someone at work unintentionally turns off num lock and for a few seconds I’m like, why the gently caress can’t I enter these numbers into excel (I have to put in a poo poo ton of numbers at the end of my shift so I’m using the numbers on the right side of the keyboard). And I’m the only person at work who knows what num lock is, and probably the only person who knows how to use a computer past typing,...

I need a new job so bad.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

My keyboard at work has no visible indicator whatsoever whether caps/num/scroll lock are on or off.

Get on my level (of hell)

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

My old laptop's F keys were toggled, with the secondary functions like volume and brightness being the default when I pressed one. In order to use F1-F12 proper, I had to hold down the Fn key near the CTRL key and then press the F key I wanted to use. It was really annoying when playing a game that uses those as hotkeys (Diablo II for example) and accidentally turning off the wifi because I forgot to hold down another button while switching to a different skill.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

MightyJoe36 posted:

She has said this exact thing, almost word for word.

Thing is, I didn’t even technically work food service. Just fresh departments in a grocery. That was bad enough. I guess I can’t say I ever saw anything truly hosed up, but there were little things all along the way. For example, we were supposed to temp-check certain things every so often and I’m pretty sure I’m one of the only people in my admittedly small department that didn’t just write in an acceptable number because actually getting the thermometer out would have constituted work.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It amazes me that people who have done food service still eat out.

And I say that as a person who used to work food service and still eats out. Anything you can't see from where customers are allowed to go is full of unspeakable horror.

Like this. Unspeakable horror is a thing I didn’t witness. drat if I haven’t heard some stories from former Walmart meat room guys though.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Anyone interrupting me when I am working. Especially when I got poo poo to do. New coworker keeps interrupting every 3 minutes saying "What are you doing?". WTF does it look like I'm doing? I am hastily shifting between helping customers and sorting wares. I barely have the time to even talk to the customers because I am spinning so many loving plates. STFU. I get through my day by working efficiently, that way the time goes by faster and I also do not have to stay for 20 minutes extra on top of the usual overtime. This coworker always yells and starts singing at weird times. This person probably has zero clue that they are being god drat annoying. Anything for a laugh once in a while, but seriously, every loving 3 minutes. Will just start to give a permanent silent treatment because I am so sick of it.

Midig has a new favorite as of 01:54 on Jul 21, 2018

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

This song is for you:

https://youtu.be/kEvIfv7EdXs

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Whistling.

I’ve begun to tolerate my coworker who does it to songs because it’s on key and quiet. I still hate it but I don’t want to murder him.

But the other day I got home to my building, and I generally enter through the basement entrance and this guy walked in behind me and was whistling some mystery off-key thing in the loudest amplitude of a whistle that I’ve ever heard.

There’s an elevator in the basement but he was gonna take it so I decided to walk upstairs to the first floor to take the main elevator and I COULD HEAR HIM THROUGH THE FLOOR. And my building is old as poo poo so it’s made out of thick materials, not the cheap cinderblock poo poo they use today. This guy, I wanted to murder.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Thin Privilege posted:

Whistling.

I’ve begun to tolerate my coworker who does it to songs because it’s on key and quiet. I still hate it but I don’t want to murder him.

But the other day I got home to my building, and I generally enter through the basement entrance and this guy walked in behind me and was whistling some mystery off-key thing in the loudest amplitude of a whistle that I’ve ever heard.

There’s an elevator in the basement but he was gonna take it so I decided to walk upstairs to the first floor to take the main elevator and I COULD HEAR HIM THROUGH THE FLOOR. And my building is old as poo poo so it’s made out of thick materials, not the cheap cinderblock poo poo they use today. This guy, I wanted to murder.

Whistlers and hummers and constant desk tappers/pen clickers can go to hell. I don't care if it's relaxing to you, it's annoying to everyone else. Stop acting like a bad habit is impossible to break and gently caress off with your "i don't even realize i'm doing it". You do now, because i'm asking you to stop it, so don't just start again in an hour.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The Mighty Moltres posted:

My old laptop's F keys were toggled, with the secondary functions like volume and brightness being the default when I pressed one. In order to use F1-F12 proper, I had to hold down the Fn key near the CTRL key and then press the F key I wanted to use. It was really annoying when playing a game that uses those as hotkeys (Diablo II for example) and accidentally turning off the wifi because I forgot to hold down another button while switching to a different skill.

Wasn't there an Fn Lock function to switch it around? All modern ThinkPads are like this, you either switch it in the BIOS or press Fn+escape.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I saw the new trailer for the Venom movie and now Youtube insists I watch videos about snakes

One Nut Wonder
Mar 17, 2009
It may have been said before, but I'll say it again. gently caress those stupid MicroSD slots that require a stupidly specifically small item to open them. I just got a tablet and had to dig through my toolbox to find something that wasn't too thick or too thin. Paper clip? Nope! Too thick. Hook for hanging Christmas ornaments? Nope! Too thin. I finally found my kit of tiny screwdrivers and opened the loving slot. Then I had to play the game of "align the tiny fingernail-sized card into the little sled so it can be perfectly aligned to be inserted into the slot." What the hell happened to those little ZIF insert-and-click slots? I want the last 15 minutes of my life back. Oh, I would've wasted them anyways.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Whistlers and hummers and constant desk tappers/pen clickers can go to hell. I don't care if it's relaxing to you, it's annoying to everyone else. Stop acting like a bad habit is impossible to break and gently caress off with your "i don't even realize i'm doing it". You do now, because i'm asking you to stop it, so don't just start again in an hour.

I didn't even realize i whistled until a co-worker drew up a "no whistling" sign complete with whistling head silhouette and stuck it over the prep area. Got good at stopping after that.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
When you live alone, like my friend does, it's easy to have a spotless house. I did it, when I moved to my own place. But when you live with another person, it's pretty hard to keep poo poo perfect. When I lived alone, there were scorpions everywhere as well, so I had to keep the place loving tight and clean.

I guess the peeve is more having to clean, then realizing it doesn't matter when the other person hoards poo poo, and eventually you fall back into that pattern too because the scorpions aren't there to stop you.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Cowslips Warren posted:

I guess the peeve is more having to clean, then realizing it doesn't matter when the other person hoards poo poo, and eventually you fall back into that pattern too because the scorpions aren't there to stop you.

seems the solution is staring you right in the face here

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

What the poo poo is wrong with people that can't understand how air conditioner thermostats work?

:downs: "It's cooler today so I set the thermostat to 90F so the AC wouldn't run."

IT WILL NOT RUN ON ITS OWN, THAT'S THE WHOLE loving POINT OF A THERMOSTAT.

:downs: I want it to be 74F but i set to 50F so it will cool down faster."

gently caress YOU.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

I just set it as low as it goes and leave it there (because I like being cold.)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

:downs: I want it to be 74F but i set to 50F so it will cool down faster."
That actually works though? Unless the thermometer is somewhere other than the air conditioner itself then the temperature it measures will be cooler than anywhere else in the room and the air conditioner will shut down prematurely. It'll turn back on once the air movement brings the temperature around the air conditioner back up, but switching on and off like that means that the room, over all, will cool down slower than if the air conditioner just stayed on constantly.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

burial posted:

I just set it as low as it goes and leave it there (because I like being cold.)

This is what I did when utilities were included in the rent but that's a good way to go broke if you live somewhere hot and have to pay the bills.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Tiggum posted:

Unless the thermometer is somewhere other than the air conditioner itself

Thermostats are indoors and air conditioners are outdoors. :confused:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Thermostats are indoors and air conditioners are outdoors. :confused:
What? I mean the bit of the air conditioner that is inside. The bit the cold air comes out of. If a thermometer is near to that bit then the temperature it registers will be cooler than the average temperature in the room because that is the coolest part of the room (because it's where the air conditioner is).

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

What? I mean the bit of the air conditioner that is inside. The bit the cold air comes out of. If a thermometer is near to that bit then the temperature it registers will be cooler than the average temperature in the room because that is the coolest part of the room (because it's where the air conditioner is).

It's called a vent, tiggum.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

It's called a vent, tiggum.

Yes and it's part of the air conditioner.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

Yes and it's part of the air conditioner.

The air conditioning system but not the air conditioner. A duct/vent is a duct/vent regardless of what it's hooked up to. In any case it was weird wording. Like if I wanted to say i'm going into the sewer I wouldn't say "i'm going into my toilet".

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I like dunking on Tiggum as much as the next guy but y'all are getting way too pedantic this time. There's no way you didn't know what he meant

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
And if you're using window units then the thermostat is on the air conditioner itself usually.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

[You are a passenger in someone else's car when it's 109℉ outside and the humidity and dew point are almost as high]

*doors to the car are unlocked, you both get inside*

*driver sits in seat, tries putting seatbelt on but keeps missing the latch after several attempts, removes windshield sun shade at a snail's pace, adjusts the mirrors to the car, digs around in purse or pockets for five minutes looking for nothing in particular, drops something on the floorboard and spends ten minutes looking for it, looks in mirror for food or imperfections on face or to possibly pop a pimple, picks teeth, adjusts mirrors again, adjusts seat, adjusts tilt steering, adjusts mirrors again because the seat was adjusted, brushes crumbs off sleeves, ponders about solving the Yang–Mills existence and mass gap problem, accidentally bumps the rear-view mirror while stretching and yawning slowly and loudly, adjusts mirrors again...*

:kingsley: WILL YOU START THE GODDAMN MOTHERFUCKING CAR AND GET THE GODDAMN MOTHERFUCKING AIR CONDITIONING GOING BEFORE I MELT?! PUT THE GODDAMN MOTHERFUCKING KEY IN THE GODDAMN MOTHERFUCKING IGNITION AND TURN THE GODDAMN MOTHERFUCKING CAR ON!!! :kingsley:

As soon as I open the door to my car, the key is in the ignition and turning on along with the A/C right as I'm getting my body into the car and my rear end hits the seat, then I do everything else I need to do before driving like buckling up, removing the windshield sun shade, etc. I would never subject any passenger I may have to that poo poo. Start the car first, A/C on, then do what you need to do. It's not that hard.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

people parking in the fire lane with their hazard lights on

like, it's not the parking in the fire lane that bothers me, it's the fact that they think that turning on their hazard lights somehow makes it okay

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

like, it's not the parking in the fire lane that bothers me, it's the fact that they think that turning on their hazard lights somehow makes it okay

but don't you see, it's an emergency to not feel like parking where you're supposed to and walking a block or two. They are only in there to grab 1 or 2 (read: 10-20) quick things, in and out.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Like the equivalent of writing "no copyright intended" in the description of a YouTube video.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

You Are A Elf posted:

Start the car first, A/C on, then do what you need to do. It's not that hard.

Seriously, I sit in the back with my daughter and play with her on car trips, because well why not? Anyhow, the back is sweltering, but my wife will mess around with all these things and then be like "hot one today huh" and I'm just sitting there like "YEAH?!?"

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

but don't you see, it's an emergency to not feel like parking where you're supposed to and walking a block or two. They are only in there to grab 1 or 2 (read: 10-20) quick things, in and out.

When I worked at Walmart and people did this all the drat time I found myself wishing that an emergency would happen and the firemen would just pulverize their cars because lol gently caress you don't park in the god damned fire lane. The blinkers are not "park wherever I want" lights.

You'd seriously see a line of blinking cars out front during peak hours and people just parking right in front then doing all of their shopping. Mostly it was people doing the "but I'm only going to be here for five twenty minutes!" nonsense but others would be in for hours.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

This is what I did when utilities were included in the rent but that's a good way to go broke if you live somewhere hot and have to pay the bills.

We have relatively cheap municipal power here, and a few window units. We keep them all off unless it’s time for sleep, so it balances out a little.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Maybe I was just in a bad mood but my family decided to play bingo. Everything annoyed me. My brother in law always let us know when he had a number. b-8 oh I’ve got that one. G55 hey I have that one. O62 well I don’t have that. gently caress me. If it wasn’t him, it was someone else somehow mishearing every other number. N32 did you say 22 no 32 oh. B21 was that 31 no it was 21 oh. How the gently caress do you mishear almost every single one.

IM MAD

But I still love all of them so very much

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

:agreed:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Delivery driver told me in a marked van, most police don't care if you throw on the blinkers for a fast run in and out, but never at a fire hydrant. Still amuses the gently caress out of me to see a UPS van parked, and a loving line of people parking their normal cars behind him with blinkers on BECAUSE THAT MAKES IT OKAY.

It's still a crapshoot.

Peeve: the city does not send out any reminders about bulk trash pickup, so sometimes people guess their range wrong online, and piles of poo poo sit outside houses for a week. Also, the fact bulk trash is only twice a year.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

oldpainless posted:

Maybe I was just in a bad mood but my family decided to play bingo. Everything annoyed me. My brother in law always let us know when he had a number. b-8 oh I’ve got that one. G55 hey I have that one. O62 well I don’t have that. gently caress me. If it wasn’t him, it was someone else somehow mishearing every other number. N32 did you say 22 no 32 oh. B21 was that 31 no it was 21 oh. How the gently caress do you mishear almost every single one.

IM MAD

But I still love all of them so very much

I'm starting to realize that people are way worse at hearing/listening than they pretend, which makes me wonder why they're also so fond of long-distance yelling over loud activities.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Cowslips Warren posted:

Delivery driver told me in a marked van, most police don't care if you throw on the blinkers for a fast run in and out, but never at a fire hydrant. Still amuses the gently caress out of me to see a UPS van parked, and a loving line of people parking their normal cars behind him with blinkers on BECAUSE THAT MAKES IT OKAY.

It's still a crapshoot.

Peeve: the city does not send out any reminders about bulk trash pickup, so sometimes people guess their range wrong online, and piles of poo poo sit outside houses for a week. Also, the fact bulk trash is only twice a year.

We have to call and schedule our bulk trash pickup.

Most things though I can just leave at the curb and they'll be picked up by somebody in a day or less.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
Wait, you can’t just throw out a ton of trash bags at once (I’m assuming not tons of furniture) and you have to schedule it? The hell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Thin Privilege posted:

Wait, you can’t just throw out a ton of trash bags at once (I’m assuming not tons of furniture) and you have to schedule it? The hell?

No, a ton of trash bags at once goes with regular trash. Bulk pick up is old furniture, a lawnmower, old bike, etc. For that you have to call and schedule. Or in my neighborhood, just leave it at the curb and it will be gone in a day or less.