Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Tried out TAP Babe Blonde (recommended by a friend) and VGC Sun Yellow (likewise, different friend) today. TAP BB is an acceptable yellow but seems to have poor coverage and pigment density. It's almost more of a glaze fresh from the bottle. VGCSY is an orange hued yellow, useful for that and for lighting. Best yellow I've tried so far remains Tamiya XF-3 flat yellow. It's alcohol based but that's not a problem, and it is an absolute joy to use. Good coverage, good pigment density, and it's a relatively 'straight' yellow without too much skew towards the green or orange..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
One more vote for Tamiya Yellows (especially with an airbrush!)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Max Wilco posted:

I don't know if I just got a bad jar, or if Citadel paint is just like this, but once I had exhausted everything in the lid-scoop upon first opening the Death Guard Green, I couldn't get anymore out without sticking the brush directly into the pot. It's like the jar was already half-empty, even though it was sealed shut.

Close the lid, shake it up, open it again.

Hey, there's more paint in the lid scoop now!

Def get a wet palette though, paint dries way too fast otherwise.

Yeah, they're sold half empty, who cares. Its like potato chips. If you want more for less get vallejo paints.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Def get a wet palette though, paint dries way too fast otherwise.

Yeah, they're sold half empty, who cares. Its like potato chips. If you want more for less get vallejo paints.

The start painting sets are sold more like 80% empty.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Zaphod42 posted:

I tried that, but it didn't work. I think it's because the paints too thick, so it doesn't really shift when shaken. I even tried leaving it upside down for it bit, but I think it just stopped on the rim of the jar.

General Olloth posted:

The start painting sets are sold more like 80% empty.

I kind of had a feeling that was the case. I opened up the first jar and thought, "Man, the Warhammer TV videos made it look like there was a lot more paint in these things."

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Max Wilco posted:

I tried that, but it didn't work. I think it's because the paints too thick, so it doesn't really shift when shaken. I even tried leaving it upside down for it bit, but I think it just stopped on the rim of the jar.

Hmmmm, sounds like old paint. Lame. You can try adding a little water or better yet medium to the pot and then shaking/stirring it , unless paint is ancient you can usually recover it.

Count_Brass
Jul 16, 2009
I'm painting up some Black Consuls but can't decide whether to go with black or red bolters; does the black blend in too much?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Count_Brass posted:

I'm painting up some Black Consuls but can't decide whether to go with black or red bolters; does the black blend in too much?

I'd do the bolters in red but I like the contrast, depends on the look you're going for. The black looks fine with proper edge highlights like you've done.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Count_Brass posted:

Black definitely blends in too much. Maybe do white to match their emblem? Red would also look good. Looks like red and metal are the official scheme.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Is the red helmet for everybody or just the leadership?

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
I kitbashed together a Gunnery Sargent Harker:

Used bits from a total of six different kits.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Count_Brass posted:

You're going to lose the purity seals in red bolters, and it'll detract from the red helmet.

Try painting the base rim in brown to reduce the overall black, and then attempt a woodgrain on the side pannels of the bolter.

Wood will visually tie to your base, and looks baller without too much effort. There are a lot of good tutorials, but you're basically looking for a light brown with tan streaks blended in.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
I got a bunch of citadel woods bases that I want to give more of a jungle theme. It turns out that an upside-down 50mm base will fit in the circular slot pretty well. Using Reaper Bones dragon plants and the GW ferns. Gonna flock the poo poo out of it after it’s painted.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Another Death Guard progress report:

__

I missed a lot of places, and it's messy in places, but I like how it's come out so far. In hindsight, it would have helped if I primed and painted the pieces before assembling, but hopefully the places I couldn't reach won't stand out.

I had a bit more fun during this session, just because I like painting with metallic paint. (Maybe I should try the Adeptus Custodes.)

I'm still not sure how to do the fleshy tentacle bits without a decent purple/red paint or wash, and I don't know how to paint the pustles, either. I might just do a few more details, put the base paint down, then shelf these guys until I can get some other colors to do those bits.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

moths posted:

You're going to lose the purity seals in red bolters, and it'll detract from the red helmet.

Try painting the base rim in brown to reduce the overall black, and then attempt a woodgrain on the side pannels of the bolter.

Wood will visually tie to your base, and looks baller without too much effort. There are a lot of good tutorials, but you're basically looking for a light brown with tan streaks blended in.

I think woodgrain bolters is a terrible idea. You can set the purity seal apart by using a brighter red.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You can set the purity seal apart by using a brighter red.
Or purple, green, or blue wax.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Another option would be hazard stripes on the casing. Worn yellow and black stripes wouldn't add another colour thanks to the gold being similar in hue to the yellow, you'd keep some of the black and the wax of the purity seal's wouldn't be obscured. Otherwise N'thing the red casing but with green wax on the seals (to tie in with the eye lenses). I'm also partial to brown base rims too,

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Fun fact, Tamiya flat yellow is the exact colour of regulation hazard stripes.

Trenchdeep
Sep 12, 2017

So I've primed my models black, would a darkish brown reduce the number of coats I need for skin? I plan to paint skin with the flesh tone, brown wash, flesh tone again as highlights method. I've also got no idea what I'm doing.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
What's a good method of replicating the wonderful blued metal used in fancy watches?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09zu0GH-AHY&t=227s

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

What's a good method of replicating the wonderful blued metal used in fancy watches?

I reckon AK Interactive probably makes something for it.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

I'd personally try to replicate that general color but a smidgen darker then add a little Vallejo metallic medium. Depending on the ratio, should be able to get something relatively close to that dark-candy bluegreen.

On the topic of color mixing, is there a better way to miss a color than just swirling them around with your brush? The main brushes I use (army painter) are short-bristled enough that mixing usually ends with the entirety of the bristles covered in paint, which even with thorough washing, has probably not been kind to their condition.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Archenteron posted:

On the topic of color mixing, is there a better way to miss a color than just swirling them around with your brush? The main brushes I use (army painter) are short-bristled enough that mixing usually ends with the entirety of the bristles covered in paint, which even with thorough washing, has probably not been kind to their condition.

You can buy packs of hundreds of mini/micro brushes from china for next to nothing. If you buy dedicated hobby-branded ones from western stores and companies, they'll charge you five bucks for ten of them. Get em on eBay for 1/10th the price. They very small, but with just enough bristle on the tip to properly mix small amounts of paint.

eBay Micro Brushes.

If I need to mix larger amounts of paint, then I move up to wooden coffee stir sticks, which again you can buy in bulk packs for cheap on eBay. Even more paint, I move up to popsicle sticks, which are common enough you can pick up locally at craft stores for decent prices.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

P3 Coal Black

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I think woodgrain bolters is a terrible idea. You can set the purity seal apart by using a brighter red.

Don't do the whole bolter! Just the side pannel. The idea is to unobtrusively break up the mass of black, like in this low-effort mockup:

I like the idea of wood paneling because it conveys some of the setting's anachronistic retro future-past, but it's not for everybody. (I stole the texture from this guide.)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

moths posted:

Don't do the whole bolter! Just the side pannel. The idea is to unobtrusively break up the mass of black, like in this low-effort mockup:

I like the idea of wood paneling because it conveys some of the setting's anachronistic retro future-past, but it's not for everybody. (I stole the texture from this guide.)

This is clearly a difference in taste. I genuinely think that looks terrible.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I'm not a fan of any wood in the 40k universe. Wood is natural, the Imperium is anything but. Even in the pulp novels wood is a prized antique.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I'm okay with faux-wood stocks for Lasguns but can admit it looks slightly off on Bolters.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
(imo) I’d say that for the more ornate and catholic-y regular marines like dark angels vets or blood angels, wood paneling along with gold trim can work. But Primaris are too modern and sleek for that, it would be like wood trim on an Infinity model.

A lighter shade of blue-gray would break up all the black while keeping the theme of weapons purely for business, no pleasure.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

This is clearly a difference in taste. I genuinely think that looks terrible.

Fair enough. Some of my first models were first gen Plague Marines, so I have a soft spot for the look.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Day 2 thoughts on the new yellows, after comparing both on cloaks, hair, and flat armour (my old space marine collection has become very accustomed to spending time in the simple green spa these days to test new paints on) - pigment consistency and density is a real annoyance with both TAP Babe Yellow and VGC Sun Yellow compared to Tamiya XF-3. TAPBY continues to have problems mixing medium with pigment despite aggressive agitation, and despite appearing not to, VGCSY's pigment:medium ratio has similar issues. Babe Yellow does a decent hair glaze, however, and Sun Yellow is a lovely shade. Coverage and pigment density on both just does not compare, though, so I return to my standard position that XF-3 is the ideal 'base' yellow for a solid colour.

I don't ordinarily post my ongoing thoughts on new paints I get - e.g. my VGC dead white has some consistency issues but who cares - but yellow is a consistently tricky colour to work with for people as well as a common one, so I figure it's worth hearing.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Never painted before, gave it a shot last night:

https://imgur.com/a/TnJoVg5

Fun! Hard!

Eh those photos suck, these do less:
https://imgur.com/a/IwYfTmQ

Any suggestions for detail that could be added or anything in general appreciated. I'm beaming with pride despite my seriously grossed out son's reaction but hey, always growing...

Harvey Mantaco fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 21, 2018

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Do this but replace the wood part with gold. :getin: Red could work too (if you change the wax color), but if I were going to add more red, I'd probably do a kneepad.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

DiHK posted:

I'm not a fan of any wood in the 40k universe. Wood is natural, the Imperium is anything but. Even in the pulp novels wood is a prized antique.

How soon we forget this forum's very own Mean Green Tree Marines.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Never painted before, gave it a shot last night:

https://imgur.com/a/TnJoVg5

Fun! Hard!

Eh those photos suck, these do less:
https://imgur.com/a/IwYfTmQ

Any suggestions for detail that could be added or anything in general appreciated. I'm beaming with pride despite my seriously grossed out son's reaction but hey, always growing...

I wish my first models looked like that, drat

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

DiHK posted:

Even in the pulp novels wood is a prized antique.

To be fair so is pretty much every piece of wargear a space marine carries.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Skarsnik posted:

I wish my first models looked like that, drat

Thanks for that!

One thing that I am not happy with in particular is large sections of the green armor have various small details like indentations and whatnot but I didn't really know how to express them so they're just green across the board and I don't really like it. Is there something that you would do to it play with that area a bit? Also how do I do guns I just did Black and I dry brushed White on to them to make them pop a bit (overdid it). Also is there a wash that would be a good idea for metal components compared to flesh compared to well I'm not really sure, I'm not really sure how to pick the appropriate wash for a section of a model.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Thanks for that!

One thing that I am not happy with in particular is large sections of the green armor have various small details like indentations and whatnot but I didn't really know how to express them so they're just green across the board and I don't really like it. Is there something that you would do to it play with that area a bit? Also how do I do guns I just did Black and I dry brushed White on to them to make them pop a bit (overdid it). Also is there a wash that would be a good idea for metal components compared to flesh compared to well I'm not really sure, I'm not really sure how to pick the appropriate wash for a section of a model.

The official Citadel Paint app can help with paint suggestions. You just select the model or colour you want to achieve and it gives a little picture annotated with what stuff to use. Their wash named Agrax Earthshade would be a good thing to paint all over the green armour, as it would collect in those little holes you mentioned and give it all some real depth. You could also use that same wash on the bronze trim to darken it down and make it a bit more grungy looking. Then maybe edge highlight with some lighter bronze colour? You could also do the same with the armour colour after washing it with Agrax Earthshade. Doing this would solve the "flat" problem that's happening a little right now.

Seriously though, very nice, neat work.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Gunder posted:

Seriously though, very nice, neat work.

This

75% of good miniature painting is a neatness, good poo poo

Once you've done a tidy basecoat like you've already done a wash will do most of the work for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Hmm. I already did a wash, literally the one mentioned. I was worried the residue it left on the higher up surfaces and what seemed like me to be too much pooling in the nooks would be too much so I cleaned off a lot of it with a large soak-brush. How much does that stuff "dry down" and reduce? Was I being too paranoid?

Again, thank you for the warm response. It's really encouraging :)