Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I rented a house once with hardwood throughout but carpet in the kitchen. All I thought was “yeesh, something really bad must’ve happened to the floor in here”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Axiem posted:

When we were looking for a new house a couple of years ago, one of the houses we looked at had hardwood floors everywhere—except for carpet tiles in the kitchen, and carpet in the bathrooms. We were 100% baffled.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I rented a house once with hardwood throughout but carpet in the kitchen. All I thought was “yeesh, something really bad must’ve happened to the floor in here”.

:psyduck:

like did space aliens come up with those flooring layouts and just forgot which rooms normally have carpet in them, like they knew there was some faux pas regarding carpet placement that they read in the How To Be Human manual but just mixed it up?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
My house had carpet in the bathroom. The literal first thing I did after signing the papers and getting the house keys was drive over and rip that poo poo out.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
I 100% agree with carpet-chat, but in an act of total hipocracy we do have an area carpet in our kitchen; however, it is a sisal/rope "indooor/outdoor" carpet that I can take outside and hose down periodically if needed.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Long shot, but does anyone or has anyone here owned a house in Las Vegas? I’m moving there in like 2 years for work and I’m wondering about what it’s like to own there and how much things like summertime AC will run me for a 3br/3ba house or so.

All I know is that there is very little water or rain, which is good and owns.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Axiem posted:

We've put an upstairs laundry room in our current house, instead of the machines being all the way down in the basement. It had been a large uncarpeted closet, and changing it to a laundry room has been an amazing decision. While yes, I still worry about what might happen if we suddenly get a catastrophic leak failure, having the laundry machines 10 feet (and 0 stairs) away from where 90% of the laundry is generated is a godsend. I highly recommend it, assuming you can get your pipes and drainage set up well.

I like to say my clothes don’t leave the second floor unless I’m wearing them.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

fatal oopsie-daisy posted:

Long shot, but does anyone or has anyone here owned a house in Las Vegas? I’m moving there in like 2 years for work and I’m wondering about what it’s like to own there and how much things like summertime AC will run me for a 3br/3ba house or so.

If I remember right it gets cool at night so it is not as bad as you might think plus heat in the winter is nothing. Also spring and fall are not hot. I rented because I wasn't staying more than 9 months and the place was small and 15 years ago so basically I am useless.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Here are my annual electric bills for a 3500 square foot place that I keep at 73 when I'm home. 2014 bills are probably close to what the previous owner paid and are probably typical of my neighbors now, but even in 2014 I had already replaced all like 60 incandescent light bulbs with LED lights. I would estimate that $500-$600 of the 2014 cost was from a 2000 watt pool pump running 5 hours a day on average.

The biggest decreases are from switching to time of use billing, linking my AC thermostats into my home security/automation stuff to take advantage of the TOU billing and whenever I'm away or sleeping, and getting a better variable speed pool pump.

2014 $3,437.06
2015 $2,925.75
2016 $1,777.47
2017 $1,965.59

Also, in the summer it stays hot all night and one of my biggest surprises was how hot it stays all the way through midnight. Today's high for example is 99 and it's forecast to be 86 at midnight. But Arizona is even hotter and gets less rain.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Arizona also has zero humidity, so the temperature fluctuates more easily.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
That's actually great info. I'm looking for something in the bog standard 1800-2200 suburban home size, so hopefully the bills will be a little easier. Also, I don't need/want a pool.

Something like this:
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sa...7x5fk&3col=true

I'll be working from home so I'm basically going to be at my house 24/7. I'm also pretty good with my money and I don't take many vacations or have any kids, just my wife and I, so I think I can splurge a little on keeping a house fully AC'd during the summer.

I have a tiny 265 square foot apartment in central Tokyo now and I pay around $110-140 a month for electric, so the change won't be huge but the cost performance will be much better.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

QuarkJets posted:

like did space aliens come up with those flooring layouts and just forgot which rooms normally have carpet in them, like they knew there was some faux pas regarding carpet placement that they read in the How To Be Human manual but just mixed it up?
In my case, it definitely wasn’t planned, the carpet was put in after the original floor. I’m 99% sure it was “kitchen floor took a lot of damage, its a rental, just cover it with cheap carpet and maybe deal with it for real in 5 years”.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

That's actually great info. I'm looking for something in the bog standard 1800-2200 suburban home size, so hopefully the bills will be a little easier. Also, I don't need/want a pool.

Something like this:
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sa...7x5fk&3col=true

I'll be working from home so I'm basically going to be at my house 24/7. I'm also pretty good with my money and I don't take many vacations or have any kids, just my wife and I, so I think I can splurge a little on keeping a house fully AC'd during the summer.

I have a tiny 265 square foot apartment in central Tokyo now and I pay around $110-140 a month for electric, so the change won't be huge but the cost performance will be much better.

Well here are some other bill estimates for a couple with a house here for what it's worth. Zero state income tax is worth a lot too.

code:
MONTHLY:
Vegas NV Energy          $160.00 
Vegas Southwest Gas       $55.00 
Vegas Water	         $120.00   High because PO planted stupid things that don't belong here
Vegas Sanitation          $12.00 
Vegas Internet	          $90.00 
Vegas DirecTV	          $65.00 
Vegas Pest Control	  $29.00 

YEARLY
Car Insurance	              $1,634.00   2 cars, 250/500 liability with no comp/collision
Home Insurance	                $858.00 
2005 Nevada Registration	$150.00    Variable, would be close to $1000 for a brand new $40k car 
2008 Nevada Registration	$200.00 
Property Taxes	              $3,900.00   Would be closer to $2500 on the house you linked

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hubis posted:

I 100% agree with carpet-chat, but in an act of total hipocracy we do have an area carpet in our kitchen; however, it is a sisal/rope "indooor/outdoor" carpet that I can take outside and hose down periodically if needed.

Isn't that more of a rug? Rugs are cool in any room

In my book, if it's something you can easily pick up and take outside to clean then it ain't carpet

Hubis
May 18, 2003

StormDrain posted:

I like to say my clothes don’t leave the second floor unless I’m wearing them.

Look at this scrub without a laundry chute :smug:

QuarkJets posted:

Isn't that more of a rug? Rugs are cool in any room

In my book, if it's something you can easily pick up and take outside to clean then it ain't carpet

yeah, fair. I was more trying to point out the option of an "outdoor" rug for a space like a kitchen.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Hubis posted:

Look at this scrub without a laundry chute :smug:

yeah, fair. I was more trying to point out the option of an "outdoor" rug for a space like a kitchen.

Nah bro then I gotta carry the clothes back up stairs. This is a no stair solution.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
What's a reasonable price to pay for a dishwasher that will last? Are any brands better than others as a rule?

Seems like there's a YouTube cottage industry in keeping decades old appliances alive, but I don't know if I can fix this. The never reliable Sears Home Repair is the only appliance repair outfit around, and they want $100 just to diagnose it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I bought a dishwasher last year and my priority was something quiet (due to aforementioned open floor plan), and in the end I had narrowed it down to Bosch, KitchenAid, and Samsung.
Around $1k USD seems to be the right amount to spend. The stuff that was cheaper ended up compromising on a lot of features, and the stuff that was more expensive didn't offer much more.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Get a Bosch with the third rack up top for silverware. Life changing poo poo man.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Buy a floor model dishwasher. They don’t hook up dishwashers to run, so it’s just been opened and closed and manipulated for a year or so, if the door and racks feel good it’ll last. $500 or less dishwashers were fine for us. The last one I bought was 9 years ago, $300, quiet, and best yet had a programmable delay so I’d just set it to run overnight and wouldn’t hear it no matter what. I like some of the new ones have bottle washers so it gets to the base of them.

Overall they are pretty simple, ours got loud and it was a pump going out, bought a replacement for $80 and had it back in service.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I ended up with the Samsung dw80m9550ug. It is literally quiet enough that you can't hear it running at all. All I hear when it runs is the occasional sound of water draining into the sink.
Another feature I like is that the door pops open at the end which helps air dry the dishes and keeps it from getting swampy inside.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I popped off my window trim and there are so many carpenter ants :stonk:

I've put out 5 bait traps, sprayed, and put dust in the wall. Hopefully they all die soon.

E: and squished like 300 while they were panicking

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Halloween Jack posted:

What's a reasonable price to pay for a dishwasher that will last? Are any brands better than others as a rule?

Seems like there's a YouTube cottage industry in keeping decades old appliances alive, but I don't know if I can fix this. The never reliable Sears Home Repair is the only appliance repair outfit around, and they want $100 just to diagnose it.

~$900~1,100. Bosch FTW.

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Get a Bosch with the third rack up top for silverware. Life changing poo poo man.

Which third rack model do you have? Bosch came out with a new one.

E: These are the two I am looking at. They're identical except the rack and dBA rating - and while I understand that is "double" the sound, my parents have had two of the 42's in an open configuration and you could be sitting in the dining/sitting area RIGHT in front of the dishwasher and have a quiet conversation without interruption.

SHXM78W55N ~$950 42-dBA with Flexible 3rd Rack
https://www.bosch-home.com/us/productslist/dishwashers/top-controls/SHXM78W55N

SHXM98W75N ~$1,125 39-dBA with MyWay 3rd rack
https://www.bosch-home.com/us/productslist/dishwashers/top-controls/SHXM98W75N

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jul 22, 2018

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

Well, I went nuts.

I'm happy to report that, since doing this a week ago, I haven't seen a roach inside the house. Gonna give it another week before I hang the MISSION ACCOMPLISHED banner on the wall.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

enraged_camel posted:

I'm happy to report that, since doing this a week ago, I haven't seen a roach inside the house. Gonna give it another week before I hang the MISSION ACCOMPLISHED banner on the wall.
Pft, do it now, you know it's already done! #USA!

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Re: first floor laundry discussion on the last page, my parents have a first floor laundry and a few years ago had the water line behind the washer break open when they were gone for the weekend and it flooded half of the entire house to the point where the drywall in the basement ceiling was falling off. I know it's a flukey thing but I'll keep my washer in the basement in any case.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Our washer is in the garage, which is next to the kitchen. This seems sensible to me; if the washer itself fucks up then the water just slides out of the garage, if the pipe in the wall bursts then we're dealing with replacing drywall instead of drywall *and* carpet and at least some of the water will just leave via the garage

Houses in our part of the country don't have basements because they cost a shitload due to the ground being very rocky and there not being a frost line to worry about

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

QuarkJets posted:

Our washer is in the garage, which is next to the kitchen. This seems sensible to me; if the washer itself fucks up then the water just slides out of the garage, if the pipe in the wall bursts then we're dealing with replacing drywall instead of drywall *and* carpet and at least some of the water will just leave via the garage

Houses in our part of the country don't have basements because they cost a shitload due to the ground being very rocky and there not being a frost line to worry about

Really if you’re worried about a pipe in the wall breaking and causing damage then the bathrooms are much more likely candidates since they are used more and have more valves.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

StormDrain posted:

Really if you’re worried about a pipe in the wall breaking and causing damage then the bathrooms are much more likely candidates since they are used more and have more valves.

The real smart move is to get a leak sensor connected to an automatic shut-off valve on the washer in flow pipe

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I squashed a bug on my pillow last night that may or may not have been a bedbug. Pray for me thread.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

SpartanIvy posted:

I squashed a bug on my pillow last night that may or may not have been a bedbug. Pray for me thread.

:ohdear:

Got my new water heater installed last night! Then, took a nice hot shower to celebrate

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

SpartanIvy posted:

You know how to check for them, right? Look it up if not. If you see one you have a bunch.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Just got a brand new whirlpool dishwasher and it doesn’t dry the dishes. On their website it says it may take 2 weeks to start drying fully. Did I install it incorrectly or should I just return it, or wait?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It takes 2 weeks? What’s going on during that time? Is it just shy?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

StormDrain posted:

You know how to check for them, right? Look it up if not. If you see one you have a bunch.

Yeah I had a bad infestation back in 2007 when I lived in a lovely apartment. Hopefully this is just another PTSD overreact but I'm going to tear my place apart when I get home today and see if I can find anything.

E: to make matters worse I was sleeping on the couch last night because of my carpenter ant treatment in the bedroom. So if I do have them I've just doubled the infested areas! :bravo:

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 23, 2018

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Subjunctive posted:

It takes 2 weeks? What’s going on during that time? Is it just shy?

That’s what I’m wondering. It says that on the whirlpool troubleshooting site.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Having bedbugs was one of the worst experiences of my adult life.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
In other news Zillow seems to hate my house now. It's zestimate has dropped $10K in the month I've owned it :rip:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
They've figured out that goons live there.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Apparently the chicken coop raised the value of my house by $20k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

SpartanIvy posted:

In other news Zillow seems to hate my house now. It's zestimate has dropped $10K in the month I've owned it :rip:

Eh, Zillow is reading tea leaves anyway. I wouldn’t sweat it.