Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

Go yell at the devs of WhatsApp and discord.

Why? Why shouldn't you be able to tell it in the system settings to do that for all text boxes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

MarcusSA posted:

Why? Why shouldn't you be able to tell it in the system settings to do that for all text boxes?

Yeah that feels like an OS-level problem, given how iOS/Mac OS’ spell check/text functions are implemented.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

I just took this exact model in a couple months ago (well, rMBP, so not this exact model at all and maybe that changes everything).

To a proper Apple Store, in a major US city. I was heading on a 5-6 day vacation that night and use it for work so I took the opportunity to take it in even though the battery wasn't totally shot (though still like 1050 cycles) because I didn't know the next time I'd be able to be away from it that long without impacting work. I told them all of this, so maybe that de-prioritized it, but they took a full 6 or 7 days to get it back, including shipping it to a repair depot in Texas to give it a new top case that I didn't ask for. Very happy with my brand new keyboard/touchpad/battery/rubber feet, but it really wasn't quick.

They did provide FedEx tracking so I could see where it was in the process the whole time.

The rMBP has the battery glued to the top case. I don’t think they want to spend the time to remove the glue and crap so they just replace the whole thing.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

crazysim posted:

The rMBP has the battery glued to the top case. I don’t think they want to spend the time to remove the glue and crap so they just replace the whole thing.

Makes sense. And to be clear I'm happy with the service I paid for -- I didn't need it quick and let them know that -- if I did perhaps they could have had this done in 48 hours. Just wanted to relay how long it took me to get a battery replacement.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

cool thanks goons

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

MarcusSA posted:

Dunno about WhatsApp but Discord implements its own text boxes (and is just a webpage in a browser besides.)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Yeah that feels like an OS-level problem, given how iOS/Mac OS’ spell check/text functions are implemented.

MarcusSA posted:

Aren’t both of those based on electron? I thought Electron did it’s own thing in regards to text entry.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

eames posted:

Unfortunately there’s no clear answer to that question, Apple’s software support timelines fluctuate a lot.
The most likely scenario is that Apple will lock them out when the OS requires T1/T2 arm coprocessors for certain tasks but that is just a random guess.
My feeling is that the 2012-2015 rMBP series has at least 2-3 more years/updates to go.

The T1/T2 isn't going to be a hard requirement for all supported Macs for a long time, considering that the macbook and 13" non-touchbar pro do not have them. Plus the cheapest machine with a T1/T2 has been an $1800 configuration for a while now, I wouldn't expect those models to pick one up for at least a few years.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Best Buy has $150 off the 2018s with student discount btw

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Just update the Air with today's chips and a Retina screen and I'll buy it now, Apple.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

Just update the Air with today's chips and a Retina screen and I'll buy it now, Apple.

If they do that nobody would buy the MacBook.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Electric Bugaloo posted:

As long as they kept the Air in gray and the Macbook in multiple colors, they definitely would.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Would be great if Apple made a laptop people wanted. They will always have the super expensive stuff but the Airs were a fairly good bang for the buck in the last couple revisions.

eames
May 9, 2009

Reintroducing the 17" would solve so many issues — much more room for a vaporchamber heatsink, mobile vega/GTX1060, 99Wh battery, higher resolution screen, room to add one USB-A ports or maybe even an extra NVMe slot, etc.
The price would be high but that's ok, so was the price of the old 17" G4 Powerbooks (~$3000 in 2005) and those were worth every cent.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Lol intel removed the Mac version of the intel power gadget from their website

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
...the plot thickens!

eames
May 9, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Lol intel removed the Mac version of the intel power gadget from their website

Still available here for now

https://software.intel.com/file/641033/download

though I read that Maxon (developers of Cinebench) is also looking to "revise" their benchmark in response to the throttling. :lol:

https://twitter.com/backlon/status/1019821375471538176

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I hope Intel fixes their thing so the lines don’t keep breaking. It can’t handle how extreme the performance drops are.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Would be great if Apple made a laptop people wanted. They will always have the super expensive stuff but the Airs were a fairly good bang for the buck in the last couple revisions.

They were an awesome value, in some ways my 2011 13” might be my favorite Mac ever. Coming from a black polycarbonate OG MacBook at the time it was impossibly light, impossibly fast, and brick rigid for less money than I’d spent on its predecessor. The HD3000 even ran TF2 which was impressive for such a light (and relatively inexpensive for an ultrabook at the time) computer in those days.

I assume that part of why the new MacBook doesn’t feel that way is that the thinness trade offs made with the fanless processors, single port, and butterfly keyboard don’t really feel worthwhile compared to how versatile and comfortable the MBA still is. The only things the MacBook has are the Retina display and cool colors and Apple knows that. Given that literally every other product they make has a Retina display at this point and they’ve probably paid for the MBA tooling many times over, it’s probably not even a huge cost issue for them. They probably make bigger margins on the <$1000 MBA than they do on the $1500 MacBook.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

FCKGW posted:

Best Buy has $150 off the 2018s with student discount btw

Apple does around the same + Beats (which you can flip for a bit I'm guessing) but does BB do any sort of other incentive? I'm buying a 2018 baseline 13" with upgraded to 16GB and I'm not sure I can buy that at Best Buy.

On the topic, I've been debating doing the 16gb 2018 13" versus the baseline 15". It's a $400 price swing but nicer chip and nicer memory just... way less compact. All I do that's intensive is compile Scala/Java with some pretty thicc frameworks but I may eventually start messing with Swift so :shrug: It's already such a huge upgrade over my 2014 d-core 8gb piece of poo poo.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Apple does around the same + Beats (which you can flip for a bit I'm guessing) but does BB do any sort of other incentive? I'm buying a 2018 baseline 13" with upgraded to 16GB and I'm not sure I can buy that at Best Buy.

On the topic, I've been debating doing the 16gb 2018 13" versus the baseline 15". It's a $400 price swing but nicer chip and nicer memory just... way less compact. All I do that's intensive is compile Scala/Java with some pretty thicc frameworks but I may eventually start messing with Swift so :shrug: It's already such a huge upgrade over my 2014 d-core 8gb piece of poo poo.

I have a 13” issued by work and my personal 15” (both 2016 models). There’s really not a huge difference in bulk or weight, you just can’t use a compact bag to carry the 15”.

If you do development the larger screen size really makes a difference. I just can’t use PyCharm on the 13” after getting used to it on the 15”. That being said, if cost is an issue you can always hook it up to an external monitor.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Proteus Jones posted:

I have a 13” issued by work and my personal 15” (both 2016 models). There’s really not a huge difference in bulk or weight, you just can’t use a compact bag to carry the 15”.

If you do development the larger screen size really makes a difference. I just can’t use PyCharm on the 13” after getting used to it on the 15”. That being said, if cost is an issue you can always hook it up to an external monitor.

I've used a 13" and 15" and the jump in size is kinda noticeable to me. The real question for me is the best value. I can get a 13" with 16GB for $1849 versus the 15" which is $2249 base and I'm trying to decide whether the perf jump is worth it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I've used a 13" and 15" and the jump in size is kinda noticeable to me.

No arguments there. I meant only in terms of portage. I don’t notice much difference in weight or bulk when carrying it around in a bag. The only one I ever really noticed was when I was test driving one of the retina MacBooks. I honestly couldn’t tell it was even in the bag that thing is so light.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Proteus Jones posted:

No arguments there. I meant only in terms of portage. I don’t notice much difference in weight or bulk when carrying it around in a bag. The only one I ever really noticed was when I was test driving one of the retina MacBooks. I honestly couldn’t tell it was even in the bag that thing is so light.

Oh yeah for sure that makes sense - I probably should have specified that this is strictly for home use and my breakdown is about 40% dev work on a personal/very small scale, 30% surfing and various bullshit, and 30% Netflix which is why I'm leaning towards the 15" being overkill.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

eames posted:

Reintroducing the 17" would solve so many issues — much more room for a vaporchamber heatsink, mobile vega/GTX1060, 99Wh battery, higher resolution screen, room to add one USB-A ports or maybe even an extra NVMe slot, etc.
The price would be high but that's ok, so was the price of the old 17" G4 Powerbooks (~$3000 in 2005) and those were worth every cent.

Lol no one would buy the 15” or the iMac pro. Especially if they keep the 2009 form factor.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Oh yeah for sure that makes sense - I probably should have specified that this is strictly for home use and my breakdown is about 40% dev work on a personal/very small scale, 30% surfing and various bullshit, and 30% Netflix which is why I'm leaning towards the 15" being overkill.

Do you have an iPad/iPhone? For the period of time where I had a work-issued Dell, my rMBP basically lived on my desk and I appreciated the extra size. Everything else/couch poo poo was handled through iOS or (occasional) OSX Airplay to a TV, so I found that using my phone to basically control everything was fine in that regard. Hell, for the stuff that you describe wanting to do with it, you could probably be fine with a MacBook if you felt like you needed a desktop OS, and save even more money.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I have both (13 for home 15 for work) and I really have to say go with the 15 the extra real estate is worth and and as everyone else is saying it really doesn’t add much bulk.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I'll have a 15" for work so the want of a 13" is really just for small pet projects and hobbyist coding where I don't need to be some pillar of productivity but still want a quick Unix environment to mess around in. My want of a MBP is a combo of convenience Unix ecosystem + the gorgeous form factor and material quality. I'm coming from a 2014 13" and to be completely honest I prefer the 13" form factor over the 15" a substantial amount as I never, ever use it on a desk or table... strictly couch, bed, and occasionally train. I generally won't have multiple windows open or anything and my IDEs are so zoomed in that the extra screen real estate doesn't matter a whole lot. All of that being said I'm stuck on pondering whether the $400 jump from 13 (16GB) to baseline 15 is worth it for my use case and worth trading off my size preference and the answer I'm leaning is "probably not".

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

I'll have a 15" for work so the want of a 13" is really just for small pet projects and hobbyist coding where I don't need to be some pillar of productivity but still want a quick Unix environment to mess around in. My want of a MBP is a combo of convenience Unix ecosystem + the gorgeous form factor and material quality. I'm coming from a 2014 13" and to be completely honest I prefer the 13" form factor over the 15" a substantial amount as I never, ever use it on a desk or table... strictly couch, bed, and occasionally train. I generally won't have multiple windows open or anything and my IDEs are so zoomed in that the extra screen real estate doesn't matter a whole lot. All of that being said I'm stuck on pondering whether the $400 jump from 13 (16GB) to baseline 15 is worth it for my use case and worth trading off my size preference and the answer I'm leaning is "probably not".

Then go whole hog and get a MacBook once they get refreshed. The difference between the 13” and 15” is like a quarter of a pound, and you’ll already have a 15” if you need the grunt for more involved coding or whatever. As somebody who walks/bikes 7 miles with a last-gen 15” every day, I honestly don’t get the whole “I have x computer and now I think I want ever so slightly different computer to complement it” thing that some people ITT insist on. If you own a Honda Pilot and want a “fun weekend car” you get a Miata not a CRV.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-p9-QZSdPM&t=302s

Jonathon Morrison posted a video of the new i7 vs the new i9, and the i9 kicks the gently caress out of it in a couple tests.

In some, it's not that much faster.

That said, he doesn't compare it to a 2017. So who knows.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Then go whole hog and get a MacBook once they get refreshed. The difference between the 13” and 15” is like a quarter of a pound, and you’ll already have a 15” if you need the grunt for more involved coding or whatever. As somebody who walks/bikes 7 miles with a last-gen 15” every day, I honestly don’t get the whole “I have x computer and now I think I want ever so slightly different computer to complement it” thing that some people ITT insist on. If you own a Honda Pilot and want a “fun weekend car” you get a Miata not a CRV.

I don't think it's unreasonable to want a separate discrete machine for work and home. The work machine isn't mine and there are things I don't want to use it for (very basic Steam roguelike and card games lol), nor do I want to lug it home every night if I don't have to, especially when I'm not on call. I'm sure I'll also want to leave various windows and tabs in a way different state for resuming quickly the next day as opposed to my personal machine

That being said, I do think your suggestion of "Get a MacBook when they get refreshed" is a very good thing to think about and something I hadn't considered.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Coding is one of the reasons I'd opt for a 15 over a 13. For the extra screen real estate. If you're an experienced coder and know a 13 is fine for you, then go for it. For me though, my 'small' hobby projects tend to eventually grow to a point where I want to see multiple editor windows, or editor + browser (for API/SDK docs or troubleshooting on SO), or editor + a view of what I'm working on (e.g. browser window for a website, emulator for mobile, etc), or some combo of all 3. And I find the difference in size between the 13 and 15 significant for this type of work.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

I don't think it's unreasonable to want a separate discrete machine for work and home. The work machine isn't mine and there are things I don't want to use it for (very basic Steam roguelike and card games lol), nor do I want to lug it home every night if I don't have to, especially when I'm not on call. I'm sure I'll also want to leave various windows and tabs in a way different state for resuming quickly the next day as opposed to my personal machine

That being said, I do think your suggestion of "Get a MacBook when they get refreshed" is a very good thing to think about and something I hadn't considered.

Sorry, let me be clear- I don’t think that having separate work and personal computers is at all unreasonable and weird. I think the vast majority of us do it and I definitely wouldn’t have it any different.

It’s just that the use case that you described (something lighter and smaller and more portable than the 15”, where the constraints of a smaller screen weren’t important, for home computer purposes like Netflix and very light gaming and the occasional coding project) suggests that you could save some cash and get something really light and portable vs something close to as powerful as your work machine. If you need the extra grunt for a project or something you always have the 15” available.

I gave my MacBook Air to my parents after getting the battery replaced back in 2014 (they’re still using it) and I often find myself missing just how incredibly light that thing was for writing papers and traveling and basic computing stuff. I’m relatively content with my 15” and have way more pressing poo poo going on in my life but I’ve always looked at the MacBooks wistfully every time I’m in an Apple store.

Splinter posted:

Coding is one of the reasons I'd opt for a 15 over a 13. For the extra screen real estate. If you're an experienced coder and know a 13 is fine for you, then go for it. For me though, my 'small' hobby projects tend to eventually grow to a point where I want to see multiple editor windows, or editor + browser (for API/SDK docs or troubleshooting on SO), or editor + a view of what I'm working on (e.g. browser window for a website, emulator for mobile, etc), or some combo of all 3. And I find the difference in size between the 13 and 15 significant for this type of work.

With the money saved by going with a MacBook they could probably get a decent 4K screen and dock to plug into if they need the real estate, tbh.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 21, 2018

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Apple is just going to make a big honkin 50+W Arm processor and dump it into their MacBooks.

At least, I hope they do. It would absolutely crush a x86 machine.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
A 15 inch is impossible to use in coach on all US airlines, even JetBlue, so if you work on planes a lot, keep that in mind.

Even a 13 inch is a tight squeeze depending on the airline.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

ratbert90 posted:

Apple is just going to make a big honkin 50+W Arm processor and dump it into their MacBooks.

At least, I hope they do. It would absolutely crush a x86 machine.

My biggest curiosity on that subject will be how we handle software going forward, there will be a long x86 emulation period but ideally we can move to a situation like many homebrew packages where it downloads the source for you and handles the compilation and placement into path (or Applications folder for GUI apps).

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

xilni posted:

My biggest curiosity on that subject will be how we handle software going forward, there will be a long x86 emulation period but ideally we can move to a situation like many homebrew packages where it downloads the source for you and handles the compilation and placement into path (or Applications folder for GUI apps).

By 2024, all Mac apps will be iOS apps, despite protests to the contrary.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I tried to download something and watch a video at the same time. I guess it's unfair of me to expect this new "pro" machine to be able to handle such a high end task.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

edit: I'm quitting Macs if Mac OS just starts running phone apps

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jul 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

edit: I'm quitting Macs if Mac OS just starts running phone apps

It won’t.