Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It's...

Great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
reached nero angelo 3 on dante must die... oof

i can take one hit, but only one. if i get hit twice or, god help me three times, that's just it. i'm dead. this is going to take a while

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 21, 2018

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm digging Octopath the more I play it. I thought I was going to hate Alfyn but man this hammer. If ya'll like to chop things play as Alfyn.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Is Octopath like a spiritual successor to Live-a-Live or is it nothing like it?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Samuringa posted:

I'm okay with Sherlock Otome but will it have actual mysteries to solve or is it a static VN?
it occasionally uses timed choices as a sort of shorthand for 'deduction' but its never actually phoenix wright or anything

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

I don't know what Live-a-Live is. Octopath is on openworld JRPG. Others have accurately described it as anime Dungeons and Dragons.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Help Im Alive posted:

Does anyone know if Hand of Fate 2 is good/it sounds like a neat concept

Yeah it's good. Combat is a little weak, but the choose-your-own-adventure presentation and ~*~style~*~ is outstanding.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Just finished route B of NieR and holy poo poo I feel bad about everything now. :smith:

On the plus side, yay, Emil’s OK! Well... OK-ish.

On to route C! I’m sure it’ll be more cheerful. :buddy:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Endorph posted:

it occasionally uses timed choices as a sort of shorthand for 'deduction' but its never actually phoenix wright or anything

like Sakura Wars?

Dewgy posted:

Just finished route B of NieR and holy poo poo I feel bad about everything now. :smith:

On the plus side, yay, Emil’s OK! Well... OK-ish.

On to route C! I’m sure it’ll be more cheerful. :buddy:

isn't Emil literally immortal? I hear he was in the OG NieR and that was thousands of years before

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Samuringa posted:

isn't Emil literally immortal? I hear he was in the OG NieR and that was thousands of years before

it's complicated

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mak0rz posted:

my understanding is that it's the open-endedness of a saga game with normal jrpg leveling and the extra turns system of bravely default

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Samuringa posted:

like Sakura Wars?

That’s the one I’m playing.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Samurai Shodown ftw

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Anyone have any hot takes on Mothergunship?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The White Dragon posted:

romancing saga minstrel song is a game that i want to like but simply can't because of how hosed the event rank system is. the margins are fairly small--about 100 rank exp per phase--and in true saga fashion, you can gain anywhere between 1-54 rank exp per encounter and it's entirely random how much you get.

you can run from battles, which prevents gaining rank exp, but running costs 5 life points, which most characters have <15 of, and it's not uncommon to see dozens and dozens of encounters in a single area

you're not meant to do all the events in one go, so don't worry about it. following a guide to make sure you 100% everything will make you unhappy, guaranteed

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What jrpg was it that had an ending where the game just does a freeze frame during a battle and fades out? I think it was a SaGa game, I'd heard that that ending was because of budget cuts and that it was supposed to imply that the battle would be neverending but idk

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Seven Samurai 20XX is worse than I expected, but it's unsurprising that capcom picked these guys to make Street Fighter IV and V

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

my understanding is that it's the open-endedness of a saga game with normal jrpg leveling and the extra turns system of bravely default

It's not so much an extra turns system as a "boost whatever you do this turn" system, but it's definitely similar to Bravely Default. One other difference from SaGa is that you can do all eight characters' stories in one continuous playthrough rather than as separate new game files.

FirstAidKite posted:

What jrpg was it that had an ending where the game just does a freeze frame during a battle and fades out? I think it was a SaGa game, I'd heard that that ending was because of budget cuts and that it was supposed to imply that the battle would be neverending but idk

Yep, that's one of the characters' endings in SaGa Frontier. Specifically, Blue's. He goes down to Hell to fight Satan and save the world from a hellish invasion and the ending freeze-frames and goes all sepia when the boss runs out of health before the battle ends. Some people interpreted that as "they kept fighting forever to keep the world safe" but apparently it was intended to be a more standard ending where he and his friends eventually win and go home. But hey, budget cuts!

Incidentally, that same character has a really cool twist towards the end of his story. He and his twin brother Rouge are trying to become masters of every kind of magic, and it turns out they're actually two halves of the same person magically split. They end up having to duel to see who gets to become the master of all types of magic (something that's normally impossible) and it's a really fun mirror fight. If Blue wins, he merges with Rouge but stays himself, and you learn all magic in the game, which is hilariously overpowered. But if Rouge wins? You get to keep playing, but as Rouge. They're the same person in the end, after all. Some people see that as the better outcome, too, because Blue is kind of a dick, while Rouge is a nice guy who will join any other playable character's party just to help out.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jul 21, 2018

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

corn in the bible posted:

you're not meant to do all the events in one go, so don't worry about it. following a guide to make sure you 100% everything will make you unhappy, guaranteed

yeah it just sucks when i'm doing a story thing and then my ER increases by like three even though i only had five chain battles (so ten fights total) and the boss

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i feel like saga games are always designed to be this thing you go at casually and you get some events and miss others and everyone kind of has their own experience with it, but most people still playing jrpgs in 2018 are probably hardcore enough to want to see everything

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

With Romancing SaGa it's definitely less a case of wanting to do everything in a single playthrough and more about just wanting to see some of the quests/events with a really narrow ER range. It can be a pain in the rear end to catch some of those.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm digging Octopath the more I play it. I thought I was going to hate Alfyn but man this hammer. If ya'll like to chop things play as Alfyn.

Yeah combine him with tressa's bp share and he can 3 bar amputate nonstop. Buff his damage with primrose too. Go nuts.

Im really enjoying the game but i cant sit through any cutscenes at all. Whoever directed them went for painstakingly slow melodrama over all. Lines have huge pauses between them, nothing has any energy to it, idk.

Im just watching for the jist and skipping like "ok sick mentor, gotta heal him, got it." Cause it'll go on for 5-10 minutes of nothing.

Maybe im just impatient

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Capcom should make a Street Fighter musou game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lets hang out posted:

i feel like saga games are always designed to be this thing you go at casually and you get some events and miss others and everyone kind of has their own experience with it, but most people still playing jrpgs in 2018 are probably hardcore enough to want to see everything

The trouble is if you play most Saga games casually you'll never get out of the first dungeon.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

chumbler posted:

Capcom should make a Darkstalkers musou game.
Fixed that for you, friend.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

chumbler posted:

Capcom should make a Street Fighter

Absolutely not

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

chumbler posted:

Capcom should make a Street Fighter musou game.
instead street fighter yakuza, with really intense hour long cutscenes of like chun-li talking to blanka

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

homeless snail posted:

instead street fighter yakuza, with really intense hour long cutscenes of like chun-li talking to blanka
Just resurrect Final Fight and have it be like Yakuza.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol

Ugh

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
a yakuza-style final fight would own if it was like about poison and mike haggar going on a big crime adventure but capcom would never make it about that thus there is no purpose to bringing final fight back

in general just give me a single player action game starring poison and i'll buy it

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

homeless snail posted:

Okay yeah I could go for that. I would play Chun Li's interpol adventures.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jul 21, 2018

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
No cursed images in this thread.

The Colonel posted:

a yakuza-style final fight would own if it was like about poison and mike haggar going on a big crime adventure but capcom would never make it about that thus there is no purpose to bringing final fight back

in general just give me a single player action game starring poison and i'll buy it
Poison, Haggar, and Zeku/Maki would be a rad Final Fight MC trio.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jul 21, 2018

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

Does anyone know if Hand of Fate 2 is good/it sounds like a neat concept

I love it. I just finished a second playthrough to do the DLC stuff and get set up for endless mode. I even ended up getting the platinum because the trophies I skipped the first time ended up being pretty fun after all. I highly recommend it.

Now I just gotta get a high score in endless mode but man it gets hard.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

That game is hilarious, it has Kyle stabbing people and playing darts while the world's worst rap plays in the background

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’m paralyzed. I want to play Pillars of Eternity 2, but I really feel like I need to finish Pillars 1. I was maybe halfway through the latter when I took a long break and even uninstalled it when I did a huge spring cleaning of my computer a few months ago.

So I don’t know whether to restart the first one except on the easiest difficulty setting in order to blaze through the story, find and read a synopsis that includes the different possible outcomes of every major decision in the game, or just suck it up and play the sequel right now.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

D:

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Jay Rust posted:

I’m paralyzed. I want to play Pillars of Eternity 2, but I really feel like I need to finish Pillars 1. I was maybe halfway through the latter when I took a long break and even uninstalled it when I did a huge spring cleaning of my computer a few months ago.

So I don’t know whether to restart the first one except on the easiest difficulty setting in order to blaze through the story, find and read a synopsis that includes the different possible outcomes of every major decision in the game, or just suck it up and play the sequel right now.

They’re still doing balance patches and they’ve got 3 DLC and some other FreeLC in the works. So I’m holding off for awhile, looks orwards to when the game is Emory complete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

street fighter musou would be insanely cool, if my imagination is to be trusted

• Locked thread