Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jiang Shi
Oct 9, 2012

Splatfest power is so weird. It seemed like this time around every win raised it by 20 and every loss dropped it by 50. I went 14-6 for Team Squid since my power got calculated, but even now it's barely above where it started

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i'm glad i get a once a month reminder that turf war is my least favorite mode in the game

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Guy Goodbody posted:

yes, i too, want every match to go the full time and never see a KO

KOs are boring

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Brother Entropy posted:

i'm glad i get a once a month reminder that turf war is my least favorite mode in the game

why am i the one stuck to tidy up the base duty

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Everyone starts with the same Splatfest power before they finish placements right? Or does level/rank boost your initial starting point? Didn’t figure it out during my first Splatfest last month

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Sleng Teng posted:

Everyone starts with the same Splatfest power before they finish placements right? Or does level/rank boost your initial starting point? Didn’t figure it out during my first Splatfest last month

Starting splatfest power is based on your rank.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Okay that explains why winning all my placements but one still put me super low, thank you!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
:smug:

https://twitter.com/AnimeCentrist/status/1020783282026246144

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Brother Entropy posted:

I hope we can get a ranked Splatfest someday. Ranked is so so much better. Even Clam Blitz.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

calling at least one zero pointers here

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kurtofan posted:

calling at least one zero pointers here

no I'm just really good

Jiang Shi
Oct 9, 2012

If you ever get stomped, just imagine this happening to the entire enemy team

https://twitter.com/Squid_Pictures/status/1020785317966565376

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Got Octo Queen with 2228.1 power and a record of 18-12. Last-Ditch Effort is REALLY GOOD in Splatfests, don't sleep on it

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
This splatfest I’ve had more legitimately almost-tied games (3% or less difference in coverage at the end) than I’ve ever seen before in any context. Most of them we lost, too. I’d almost rather get decisively clobbered.

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

Nice matchmaking Nintendo

I have no idea how we won this.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Went 17-6 for Team Squid, I hate to give wins to Pearl but I made it to King super quick this time.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

Hellioning posted:

Starting splatfest power is based on your rank.

im not sure this is entirely true, i have a level 7 alt account and i placed at 2100s

lol

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Ugh, had a decent run at the start, but pretty much upon getting into champion I just started getting awful losing streaks.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Smiles posted:

im not sure this is entirely true, i have a level 7 alt account and i placed at 2100s

lol

I won all my placements but one and it put me at around 1500 so idk

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
You have a hidden matchmaking rating in Turf Wars in Splatoon 2 (it didn't exist in Splatoon 1). Pretty sure it's based off of that.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

I got placed in the 2000s, did nothing but loose all the way down to like 1700 and now i'm almost all the way back up. matchmaking is weird, and i'm a bad, swingy player

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

King Cohort posted:

Nice matchmaking Nintendo

I have no idea how we won this.

Level is not an indication of how good they are, just how much they have been playing.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

i just had a match on shifty where the bad guys didn't even get to open the first door and i kind of feel bad.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Octos air guitar with umbrellas? Objectively better. Gonna have to get the DLC as soon as I wrap up Odyssey.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Hope that team didn't lose.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Squid Queen. Played shifty station ONCE :wtf:

:randvince:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

gently caress

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

God I love killing people who splashdown with the clash blaster.

Well!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

raditts posted:

Hope that team didn't lose.

You could say the match was a :cool: loss

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

raditts posted:

Level is not an indication of how good they are, just how much they have been playing.

While this is true, I would hope somebody who has been playing for the hundreds or thousands of hours it takes to reach level 100+ can beat a team of level 20~s.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Man I wanna love this game so much and play it more but I get so drat frustrated, I can't carry the game by myself and my teammates don't ever seem to understand the controls

I'd have to make premade groups to have fun with it and I'm too lazy to do that. At least in some ranked modes I'm A+ or S and I get matched on teams with competent players, but I'm still like D in clam and gently caress trying to grind that up, and splatfest is a total crapshoot

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

There's nothing worse than losing a match because your idiot teammates wouldn't come back to help paint home turf, opting instead to eternally super jump to their deaths

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

This game is like up there with mario kart in the ability for you to be dominating the match for 99% of the game and then at the last second have it all taken away from you

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Yeah, if you have a halfway competent team and can murk 3/4 of the enemy team with 20-30 seconds left to go, that's pretty much an instant win

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Zaphod42 posted:

This game is like up there with mario kart in the ability for you to be dominating the match for 99% of the game and then at the last second have it all taken away from you

Last ditch effort is a pretty good ability alright.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Man I wanna love this game so much and play it more but I get so drat frustrated, I can't carry the game by myself and my teammates don't ever seem to understand the controls

I'd have to make premade groups to have fun with it and I'm too lazy to do that. At least in some ranked modes I'm A+ or S and I get matched on teams with competent players, but I'm still like D in clam and gently caress trying to grind that up, and splatfest is a total crapshoot

I don't mean to demoralize you further or anything but, you're on that team too...maybe a shift of perspective is all you need. It's easy to blame others and harder to realize when to lay the blame on yourself, try to focus on ways in the future you can do better personally

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

In Training posted:

I don't mean to demoralize you further or anything but, you're on that team too...maybe a shift of perspective is all you need. It's easy to blame others and harder to realize when to lay the blame on yourself, try to focus on ways in the future you can do better personally

I've been playing since splatoon 1. I understand that. But when you consistently have 2 players getting 9-15 kills and 2 players with 0-2 kills it really hurts.

Its a team game. You personally cannot do everything. Matchmaking could be much better than it is, it can still be a fun game and have flaws.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah I've been through that grind. I guess my only consolation is that in X rank everyone is really good and you don't see lovely teams anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

In Training posted:

Yeah I've been through that grind. I guess my only consolation is that in X rank everyone is really good and you don't see lovely teams anymore

Uh.... what? Did you even read my post? I've been through that grind too. I know.

Zaphod42 posted:

:confused:

I am A+ or S in all ranked modes except clam. I am lamenting that in clam and in splatfest the game is basically unplayable for me. So I have to just stop playing until tower control, rainmaker, or control zones comes up. That's unfortunate.

I can't even choose to not participate in splatfest or clam and play other modes, because of how splatoon picks for you and only has 1 thing available.