Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

howe_sam posted:

I liked that Carol's solution to opening the weird piece of tech she found in her dad's things was to hit it with a hammer.

Yeah, that was great. She's basically Wile E. Coyote at the moment (if the Road Runner was the right option/moral choice), but if she was just an overeager doofus who loves her alien cat and friends deeply she could be like a super powered Leslie Knope which would probably do a lot better for her character rehabilitation and connecting with her fanbase. Have her get involved in some superhero outreach events and community projects etc and actually show why she's supposed to be the most popular hero on Earth.

More traditionally, she badly needs another big win like fighting off all the Skrulls in NYC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Metalshark posted:

Yeah, that was great. She's basically Wile E. Coyote at the moment (if the Road Runner was the right option/moral choice), but if she was just an overeager doofus who loves her alien cat and friends deeply she could be like a super powered Leslie Knope which would probably do a lot better for her character rehabilitation and connecting with her fanbase.

Your lips, God's ear. Or at least Cebulski's.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The problem with Carol is that Marvel's already convinced themselves she's super popular so they don't put any effort into actually making her likable.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Waffleman_ posted:

The problem with Carol is that Marvel's already convinced themselves she's super popular so they don't put any effort into actually making her likable.

It's like they all read that page from House of M where bea us over the head with how popular she is in that reality and they just took it as how things actually are.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Marvel is doing their thing right now looks like

https://twitter.com/ladiesofcomics/status/1020770823546851329?s=19

https://twitter.com/Newsarama/status/1020771175826370560?s=19

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Daughters of the Dragon, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist are all following the same double size digital issues then trades model as Jessica Jones. I really hope this model catches fire.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm not really familiar with any of the writers for these ones.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

X-O posted:

Daughters of the Dragon, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist are all following the same double size digital issues then trades model as Jessica Jones. I really hope this model catches fire.

Meant to appeal to the Netflix watchers?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Roth posted:

I'm writing DoD, I hadn't realized they announced it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

edit: /\ there ya go!

Roth posted:

Jed McKay did the punk Spider-Man part of Edge of Spider-Verse and lately posts in this very thread! Congrats :) Getting Travel Foreman is amazing.

Del Col wrote Kill Shakespeare.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Neat!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Dude, you get to get to have Travel Foreman draw the things you write. How drat cool is that feeling?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
It's been pretty dang exciting. Writing comics, working with cool artists and getting paid in USD for it has made this pretty much the ideal summer!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Congrats! I'll definitely be checking it out!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

It's been pretty dang exciting. Writing comics, working with cool artists and getting paid in USD for it has made this pretty much the ideal summer!

Congrats dude. I’ll be picking it up day one for sure.

Chelsea Cain is back at Marvel writing a Vision mini picking up the Vision Family storyline.

https://www.cbr.com/chelsea-cain-marvel-vision-comic/

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
They've also retroactively made the digital-first Cloak & Dagger book that's been coming out into part of this digital line.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Congratulations! Very cool.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Very exciting! Looking forward to it, and this new model.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I wonder how they managed to convince Chelsea to come back, I thought she disavowed marvel after they threw her under the bus over mockingbird

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

site posted:

I wonder how they managed to convince Chelsea to come back, I thought she disavowed marvel after they threw her under the bus over mockingbird

The people rightly joke about the dumb stuff Cebulski did years ago but everything you hear about him behind the scenes makes it seems like he’s a really liked guy in the industry especially by the talent. I think a lot of people returning to Marvel like Priest, Lemire, and Cain might be doing so because of him. I honestly think the switch from Alonso to him has a lot to do with the kind of talent we are seeing elevated (Cates, Thompson, Ahmed, among other others) and brought back.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Chelsea Cain is back at Marvel writing a Vision mini picking up the Vision Family storyline.

https://www.cbr.com/chelsea-cain-marvel-vision-comic/

This is a no questions purchase for me.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

X-O posted:

The people rightly joke about the dumb stuff Cebulski did years ago but everything you hear about him behind the scenes makes it seems like he’s a really liked guy in the industry especially by the talent. I think a lot of people returning to Marvel like Priest, Lemire, and Cain might be doing so because of him. I honestly think the switch from Alonso to him has a lot to do with the kind of talent we are seeing elevated (Cates, Thompson, Ahmed, among other others) and brought back.

Yeah even I have to begrudgingly accept that marvel seems to at least be attempting to make some good moves after cebulski came in

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

This is a no questions purchase for me.

Yeah. Viv has been the best part of Champions.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah. Viv has been the best part of Champions.

Well, mostly for Caine.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

Well, mostly for Caine.

I meant that it was a writer I liked writing a character I liked.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I knew what you meant but I didn't agree about Chanpions so I just leaned into my enjoyment of her work on Mockingbird.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I never cared about Vision before but somehow Tom King's Vision is one of my favorite comics and now I'm really excited about Cain's miniseries. Turns out you just need good talent to rehabilitate a character (see also, Ahmed's Black Bolt and Quicksilver)

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
As someone who actually did care about the Vision prior to that mini-series it didn't feel like it was actually about the existing character of the Vision, which is just how comics work I guess. Lots of different ways to "rehabilitate" a character.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Comics have always been about names rather than characters.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I would say that's definitely a thing Tom King tends to do, though. A lot of his characters become nearly unrecognisable beyond the broad strokes from their "classic" versions.

Not that it's always bad. It's just a marked tendency for him.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It was Mark Waid who had Vision remove his connection to Wanda in the preview sampler story that ran before his Avengers and King's Vision.
I guess they both planned that.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

X-Men Black is a series of mutant villain-led one shots.

Uncanny X-Men is returning in November. :toot:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Who's writing/drawing Uncanny?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Bleh

Wake me up when they announce a honey badger book

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Skwirl posted:

Who's writing/drawing Uncanny?

It wasn't announced.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Claremont is writing the Magneto issue. Which I guess isn't a terrible concept even if the man is long past his prime.

Sounds like the X-Men property isn't getting much of a clear new direction until 2019 though. All these news sound purely transitional.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Excited to see oneshots featuring Nanny, Warwolves, Dracula and Mojo II.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Android Blues posted:

Excited to see oneshots featuring Nanny, Warwolves, Dracula and Mojo II.

This but unironically?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I just realized that, there will already be the second issue of axe hyphen twenty-three this week.

I'm excited about that.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/CharlesPulliam/status/1020477244613902336