Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I don’t get why MHW can’t have some alternate control setups. I know the fans are used to the old setup, but World was definitely aiming to bring in some new players, so why not have a more standard setup for them? The controls were a huge part of why I had a hard time getting into it.

FFXV has three options, one of which put attack on square. It made jumping in and playing so much easier for me.

I don't get why you can't remap any way you like in tyool 2018.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
What other combinations are easy to hit at the same time? R1+R2 I guess but that seems like it would cause even more problems.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Saint Freak posted:

What other combinations are easy to hit at the same time? R1+R2 I guess but that seems like it would cause even more problems.

Square and triangle are pretty easy to hit at the same time, just put your thumb between the buttons instead of trying to make a line between them.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

exquisite tea posted:

Turning off auto-sheathe in the MHW settings menu makes a world of difference, I have no idea why anybody would ever default to that option, or even offer it as an option.

That's an option?! :aaaaa:

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Samuringa posted:

The first KOTOR does it at the last boss, although it is a very small chance of getting trapped. If you don't have long-range attacks like the Lightsaber Throw tho, good loving luck.

Its been YEARS but I THINK if you can't blast/force/chop all the bodies hanging up then you can still win the fight... you just have to beat Malak's health down and let him absorb each captured Jedi in turn until they're all drained/dead. I think there's about 22 of them.

:negative: x 22

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Samuringa posted:

The first KOTOR does it at the last boss, although it is a very small chance of getting trapped. If you don't have long-range attacks like the Lightsaber Throw tho, good loving luck.

This, so loving much.

It wouldn't be completely horrible, but A) the game does not in any way require your main character to have any of those skills beforehand and B) it is also the only battle where only your main character is available. Even if something like 4 out of your 7 potential crew members are doing gently caress-all at the ship.

You also cannot re-spec in that game, and will probably hit the level gap at the first third of the second-to last planet. So having a save before the point of no return actually does not help either.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Der Kyhe posted:

This, so loving much.

It wouldn't be completely horrible, but A) the game does not in any way require your main character to have any of those skills beforehand and B) it is also the only battle where only your main character is available. Even if something like 4 out of your 7 potential crew members are doing gently caress-all at the ship.

You also cannot re-spec in that game, and will probably hit the level gap at the first third of the second-to last planet. So having a save before the point of no return actually does not help either.

Also, the level cap is 20 and on a first playthrough you probably didn’t bank all your tutorial planet level ups so you probably became a Jedi at level 8.

It’s pretty rare to end up stuck, though, the force lightning and destroy droid trees are so good you’ll definitely at least take one power point in one of them.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Why did I buy GTA V through Green Man Gaming? It's not the steam version so the installer makes you go download all 72 gigs in the one go.

You should thank it for protecting you from GTA 5

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
PYF thing dragging this game down: even buying games annoy us

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

ro5s posted:

You should thank it for protecting you from GTA 5

GTA 5 is a good game :catbert:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Thin Privilege posted:

No it's not.

Der Kyhe posted:

This, so loving much.

Incidentally the original PSO did this a lot. Like half the bosses spent most of the boss fights well out of melee range, including the final boss fight who would only stop into melee range for a few seconds every so often and more often than not would knock you down and stun you for the entire vulnerability. So while melee characters had far more survivability and attack power than ranged ones, for the most part, when it came to bosses? You'd wind up with a team of melee characters plinking away at a mountain of HP with the strongest ranged weapon they could equip.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Thin Privilege posted:

if you like trash, yea. but seriously, i dislike the game, but i dont mind that you like it

time for me to list off why i hate the game

number one: almost everything is animation driven. want to walk? better wind up walking for about three seconds. wanna stop walking? keep going for about three seconds because you can't just stop on a dime like a normal person. wanna punch people? hope you like the game deciding your character must have wanted to do the animation for turning the opposite direction of your enemy and kicking. it's all so sluggish and fucks up the entire flow of the game

number two: the characters have jack poo poo as their motivation and characterization. trevor is annoying screamy man. michael is annoying whiny cuckold (literally a cuckold, at that), franklin is a marionette that just does what he is told throughout the entire game. they also forget throughout the game that they should be killing their enemies instead of working for their enemies, right up until the good ending of the game. none of the characters can live up to a single guy from San Andreas in terms of being well written, and it is pathetic to see the pinnacle of the games writing materialize as "ok go phone bomb mark zuckerberg." Speaking of which

number three: things will just happen in the story and will be forgotten about immediately, like the aforementioned "bombing the zucc." never mentioned again, just happens because the devs wanted to be edgy and deliver some 200 IQ takes. on a semi-related note, sidequests very rarely go anywhere, and will always feel pointless. example: the tow truck missions, or the paparazzi guy asks you to photograph some celebrities, so you go do that. you don't get paid, so you shoot the guy dead and collect the cash.

The whole game is an annoyance, in gameplay and writing. just play san andreas instead

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Don’t forget that you usually have to do the missions exactly as the game wants you to or it will fail you (I’m looking at you dock worker mission :argh:)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Don’t forget that the game keeps making up reasons to not have you get paid for missions so you can never afford to buy all the cool guns or tweak your car (not that tweaking your car matters, it’ll despawn as soon as you get out anyway)

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Don’t forget that the game keeps making up reasons to not have you get paid for missions so you can never afford to buy all the cool guns or tweak your car (not that tweaking your car matters, it’ll despawn as soon as you get out anyway)

Have you thought about buying any of Rockstar's radical shark cards?

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007

moosecow333 posted:

Don’t forget that you usually have to do the missions exactly as the game wants you to or it will fail you (I’m looking at you dock worker mission :argh:)

That mission crashed on me 4 times before i was able to beat it

i shoulda quit, really

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

moosecow333 posted:

Ok that mission does suck because it takes like literally 20 minutes, even if you’re doing it perfectly and as far as possible. And I was super good at that game so I gold starred it but goddamn does it take for god drat ever.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

spit on my clit posted:

if you like trash, yea. but seriously, i dislike the game, but i dont mind that you like it

time for me to list off why i hate the game

number one: almost everything is animation driven. want to walk? better wind up walking for about three seconds. wanna stop walking? keep going for about three seconds because you can't just stop on a dime like a normal person. wanna punch people? hope you like the game deciding your character must have wanted to do the animation for turning the opposite direction of your enemy and kicking. it's all so sluggish and fucks up the entire flow of the game

number two: the characters have jack poo poo as their motivation and characterization. trevor is annoying screamy man. michael is annoying whiny cuckold (literally a cuckold, at that), franklin is a marionette that just does what he is told throughout the entire game. they also forget throughout the game that they should be killing their enemies instead of working for their enemies, right up until the good ending of the game. none of the characters can live up to a single guy from San Andreas in terms of being well written, and it is pathetic to see the pinnacle of the games writing materialize as "ok go phone bomb mark zuckerberg." Speaking of which

number three: things will just happen in the story and will be forgotten about immediately, like the aforementioned "bombing the zucc." never mentioned again, just happens because the devs wanted to be edgy and deliver some 200 IQ takes. on a semi-related note, sidequests very rarely go anywhere, and will always feel pointless. example: the tow truck missions, or the paparazzi guy asks you to photograph some celebrities, so you go do that. you don't get paid, so you shoot the guy dead and collect the cash.

The whole game is an annoyance, in gameplay and writing. just play san andreas instead

Number four: It's just not funny anymore. The game presents itself as this big satirical takedown of modern America but it just... doesn't work. Almost none of the jokes really land, it's all just "Wow, look at these stereotypical people, aren't they STEREOTYPICAL?!". It's basically the videogame equivalent of an old, out-of-touch comedian pretending he's still hip and topical.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Perestroika posted:

Number four: It's just not funny anymore. The game presents itself as this big satirical takedown of modern America but it just... doesn't work. Almost none of the jokes really land, it's all just "Wow, look at these stereotypical people, aren't they STEREOTYPICAL?!". It's basically the videogame equivalent of an old, out-of-touch comedian pretending he's still hip and topical.

I mean honestly, I'll just say one of the big reasons V's ~biting satire~ didn't work near as well for me this time was so much more of it felt like "HEH, elitist liberals amirite" and boy has that poo poo flown the coop, not even like since it's release either, it was already a big dogwhistle back then too, so it felt like they had more chuds in the making in the office for V.

Yardbomb has a new favorite as of 12:57 on Jul 21, 2018

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

spit on my clit posted:

All the characters also more or less end up the same way they started, only richer. In GTA games the characters usually have some sort arcs but not in V.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Nuebot posted:

Have you thought about buying any of Rockstar's radical shark cards?

Those are just for multiplayer. Single player being that stingy with the cash doesn’t even make sense from that perspective.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wait, Shadow of War only has one save file?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Those are just for multiplayer. Single player being that stingy with the cash doesn’t even make sense from that perspective.

SP they really wanted you to mess with their stupid stock market minigame if you want huge money.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I actually enjoyed GTA5 a fair bit just because I thought the driving and shooting was fundamentally solid, but goddamn that dock worker mission turns me off of playing it again something fierce.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Yardbomb posted:

SP they really wanted you to mess with their stupid stock market minigame if you want huge money.

Yeah, but the problem with that is that you need money to mess with the stock market.

I did save all the assassination missions for the end, so I used that to get all my characters billions of dollars for the post game, but that didn’t help during the campaign.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Yeah, but the problem with that is that you need money to mess with the stock market.

I did save all the assassination missions for the end, so I used that to get all my characters billions of dollars for the post game, but that didn’t help during the campaign.

Does the stock market even work anymore? It was supposed to be based on players’ bets or whatever.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Thin Privilege posted:

Does the stock market even work anymore? It was supposed to be based on players’ bets or whatever.

Its based on story progression with the assassination missions. The problem is to maximize gains youre best off waiting till you beat the game and are swimming in cash, then have all 3 characters put their money down before starting an assassination mission.
But in some cases you need a guide to know who will benefit. Its insane.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Shamus Young is doing a written retrospective on GTA, and he notes that the likes of GTA3 don't try tell a cohesive story but rather emulate specific scenes from Scorcese and Mann movies, and when you put these scenes together they don't make a coherent plot as the intention is style over substance. It wouldn't make sense in a movie for a character to have a simple goal in the beginning, only to then spend 2 hours doing a load of completely irrelevant busywork, only to then end the film with them completing their initial goal with little fanfare.

He says that the problem with this aimless storytelling-method is that Rockstar never moved on from it. He also mentions how much he hates the race against Hilary in Vice City.

http://shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=43189

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

He says that the problem with this aimless storytelling-method is that Rockstar never moved on from it. He also mentions how much he hates the race against Hilary in Vice City.

That mission was great because if you tried to use the spawn car cheat for the fastest car it blows up your vehicle.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Shamus Young is doing a written retrospective on GTA, and he notes that the likes of GTA3 don't try tell a cohesive story but rather emulate specific scenes from Scorcese and Mann movies, and when you put these scenes together they don't make a coherent plot as the intention is style over substance. It wouldn't make sense in a movie for a character to have a simple goal in the beginning, only to then spend 2 hours doing a load of completely irrelevant busywork, only to then end the film with them completing their initial goal with little fanfare.

http://shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=43189

I quite like Shamus but I feel like Vice City probably has the overall best written plot of a GTA game because they found some sort of focus to the overall plot that let them have the varied missions while Tommy was working towards an overall goal, the first half of the game is him trying to get close to the cartel who ruined his drug deal so he has to fish around and build connections before rubbing him out, the second half is him erecting his own crime empire on top of Diaz's corpse so he can get the mafia to gently caress off by the end of the game which entails gobbling up as many other enterprises as he can. It helps that Tommy doesn't have much to him other than a single minded, ruthless focus on those goals so you don't have to deal with the other weirdness of GTA protagonists trying to have a complex inner life like Micheal's family woes that never really rings true since you're always just some violent thug smashing faces who doesn't really do anything to earn much empathy. Having said that some of the stuff you do does feel like a waste of Tommy's time like him getting involved with Cuban/Haitian gang war or doing favors for Love Fist.

I also genuinely feel like Lance is probably one of the more interesting GTA characters, I like the way he's a showboating playboy to start but it clearly masks a miserable sense of inferiority by the end that Tommy, who seems to genuinely value Lance as a friend, unintentionally makes worse with his tough, pragmatic attitude.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

He also mentions how much he hates the race against Hilary in Vice City.
I genuinely don't think this mission is as difficult as he (or most of the internet, really) makes it out to be. Yeah, your car is slightly slower but has better handling than Hilary's overpowered muscle car (to be fair, I'm sure his AI cheats at least a little bit), and the cops that show up during the race can be made completely harmless by picking up the police bribe star that is right next to the race route. The star right behind the Malibu Club, the one you know is there if you've explored the city at all.

In order to win you do still have to be able to drive a car in GTA without crashing, though, and I assume that is the sticking point for most people. I remember a friend of mine would go through three cars on the way to a mission whereas I kept mine undamaged (some shenanigans from idiot AI drivers notwithstanding), and unsurprisingly I was drafted in for any missions that required fast and precise driving. :v:

edit: My open world game driving skills did not extend to the racing mission in unpatched Mafia, at least on a keyboard.

DMorbid has a new favorite as of 21:04 on Jul 21, 2018

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I tried the mission a couple times on the Xbox to no avail, but I don't remember it a problem on the iPad version :shrug:

In fact, I 100%ed it on the iPad for some reason and the only parts that I remember being a pain in the rear end were:
1) stealing the attack chopper from the army base, because aiming with the mini-gun was impossible. I got either cut down by the soldiers or spun around and blew up the chopper with Ol' Painless by accident.
2) the ambulance mission, but mainly because it lasts forever and it is so easy to gently caress up your vehicle.
3) having to fly toy choppers, but those are really hard to control with a gamepad too.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I think they might have modified the mission to make it easier in more recent releases of the game.

Or maybe that was the RC plane bomber mission for San Andreas?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

khwarezm posted:

Yeah, that was toned down for every release after the original PS2 one, and even more so when the mobile version came out. The mobile release also cut out a couple of the more annoying driving school tests.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

khwarezm posted:

I think they might have modified the mission to make it easier in more recent releases of the game.

Yeah, they ended up giving it more fuel. I don't think Vice City had significant mission changes, it is mostly stuff involving the mention of Haitians and eventually they removed songs because their licensing deal for them ended.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

khwarezm posted:

I quite like Shamus but I feel like Vice City probably has the overall best written plot of a GTA game because they found some sort of focus to the overall plot that let them have the varied missions while Tommy was working towards an overall goal, the first half of the game is him trying to get close to the cartel who ruined his drug deal so he has to fish around and build connections before rubbing him out, the second half is him erecting his own crime empire on top of Diaz's corpse so he can get the mafia to gently caress off by the end of the game which entails gobbling up as many other enterprises as he can. It helps that Tommy doesn't have much to him other than a single minded, ruthless focus on those goals so you don't have to deal with the other weirdness of GTA protagonists trying to have a complex inner life like Micheal's family woes that never really rings true since you're always just some violent thug smashing faces who doesn't really do anything to earn much empathy. Having said that some of the stuff you do does feel like a waste of Tommy's time like him getting involved with Cuban/Haitian gang war or doing favors for Love Fist.

I also genuinely feel like Lance is probably one of the more interesting GTA characters, I like the way he's a showboating playboy to start but it clearly masks a miserable sense of inferiority by the end that Tommy, who seems to genuinely value Lance as a friend, unintentionally makes worse with his tough, pragmatic attitude.

I still prefer San Andreas' story in general, but Tommy is the closest they ever got to a character that felt like a GTA Protagonist but wasn't a completely unlikable rear end in a top hat.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Samuringa posted:

I still prefer San Andreas' story in general, but Tommy is the closest they ever got to a character that felt like a GTA Protagonist but wasn't a completely unlikable rear end in a top hat.

Niko Bellic?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
CJ wasn't unlikable.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mierenneuker posted:

Yeah, they ended up giving it more fuel.

IIRC, it wasn’t that they added fuel, but the fuel would only deplete when you were hitting the gas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
With all of the post Vice City games I feel like the plot turns into absolute mulch after a certain point and I completely lose track of why events are happening. It doesn't help that there are way too many leaps of logic that create a disconnect between what the plot treats as important and what the game lets you do, like in San Andreas I think Tenpenny is blackmailing CJ by saying he'll frame him for murdering a police officer but then you can go out and actually murder 100s of police officers and it means nothing. I know it's old hat to point out that kind of thing but it just makes it so drat hard to take that particular rationale seriously. Then you have all the stuff around Big Smoke and Ryder, or Jizzy's gang in San Fiero and I just zone out trying to keep track of things, I think San Andreas set a bad precedent of just way too many loving plot threads, villains and climaxes for any of it to really work and be satisfying that dogs the other GTA games too. Still, at lot of the characters like Woozy and Toreno were fun and memorable, though Toreno was the first of many interminable G-men to come.

Also CJ wasn't unlikable true, but I think he shares the problem of the other protagonists who aren't Tommy in the way that he often feels like he's just passively bumbling through the plot without much initiative.