Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Elderbean posted:

Is there a list of subclasses that are generally good for each character? I'm unlocking them now. So far I have Olberic as a hunter, Alfyn as a warrior, and Ophelia as a cleric. I was going to make Tressa a theif when I unlock it.

Ophilia: Dancer/Scholar

Cyrus: Dancer/Merchant/Cleric

Tressa: Thief but she's so well rounded you can sub her in anything and do well

Olberic: Cleric/Thief/Apothecary

Primrose: Scholar

Alfyn: Hunter/Warrior

Therion: Dancer/Scholar

H'aanit: Warrior/Thief

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Elderbean posted:

Is there a list of subclasses that are generally good for each character? I'm unlocking them now. So far I have Olberic as a hunter, Alfyn as a warrior, and Ophelia as a cleric. I was going to make Tressa a theif when I unlock it.
Can't speak for all of the characters but here are my thoughts on my main ones

Tressa - Hunter, Thief, Cleric but let's face it all of her outfits are adorable
Alfyn - Very cute as a Dancer, Thief or Merchant. Hunter also pretty comfy
Ophilia - Snazzy as a Scholar, also looks comfy and strong as a Warrior
Everyone else - Merchant and Apothecary are safe bets, they look cute on anyone

If we're considering the advanced jobs, have you seen how cute Tressa is as a Sorcerer? She gets a little hat!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Your Computer posted:

Can't speak for all of the characters but here are my thoughts on my main ones

Tressa - Hunter, Thief, Cleric but let's face it all of her outfits are adorable
Alfyn - Very cute as a Dancer, Thief or Merchant. Hunter also pretty comfy
Ophilia - Snazzy as a Scholar, also looks comfy and strong as a Warrior
Everyone else - Merchant and Apothecary are safe bets, they look cute on anyone

If we're considering the advanced jobs, have you seen how cute Tressa is as a Sorcerer? She gets a little hat!

Tressa’s outfit game is so far above anyone else’s

Andrast fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jul 21, 2018

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
There's a reason why Tressa is the one on the back of the box for job changes

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Meldonox posted:

It can eventually be pretty good.

FYI this is a video of the big end-game fight so don't watch if you don't want spoilers. In answer, Warmaster is sorta hard to use when you get it but ends up being quite powerful when you're fully kitted out and optimized for it. One of its passives is also probably best in slot for any physical team members.

Folt The Bolt posted:

Find someplace high level with enemies sharing the same weakness and kill them first turn. Bewildering Grace if your Dancer goes before your nukers, otherwise just kill the mob.

This is exactly what I've been doing grinding up to 70. If the dancer goes first, do a triple-chance dance (with a BP boost from the starseer passive). Sorc easily one shots everything else.

acumen fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 21, 2018

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

acumen posted:

FYI this is a video of the big end-game fight so don't watch if you don't want spoilers. In answer, Warmaster is sorta hard to use when you get it but ends up being quite powerful when you're fully kitted out and optimized for it. One of its passives is also probably best in slot for any physical team members.

This is exactly what I've been doing grinding up to 70. If the dancer goes first, do a triple-chance dance (with a BP boost from the starseer passive). Sorc easily one shots everything else.

Are there any particularly good zones for this?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

IcePhoenix posted:

I beat the warmaster last night but just looking at it it seems kind if lackluster? Am I missing something? Should I just wait until I have enough JP to unlock more skills on it?

total transparency, I don't have access to the advanced jobs yet, but I am going to go out on a limb and say that the skill that hits all enemies six times is probably nuts when you combine it with that skill that causes attacks that hit all enemies to only hit one for bonus damage.

Someone linked a spoiler video so I'm not gonna watch it, but I'm guessing what happens is that the Warmaster is at low health, gets the Hunter buff to boost accuracy and crit chance, gets attack buffed, and get the skill mentioned above used on him, then goes to town.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Some Numbers posted:

I just finished Tressa's chapter 2 as my first one and it was kind of a breeze? My party was Tressa + Thief (level 21), Alfyn +Warrior (19ish), Cyrus (12 or 13) and Ophelia +Dancer (14). I had almost no issues with the boss.

Just did primrose's and the dude barely damaged me the entire fight, about to do Tressa's.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Also now that I have hit the Ch2 towns someone please convince me not to savescum trying to steal all this busted-rear end equipment

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Echophonic posted:

I managed a 2x XP dance on a Cait, which got me to the mid-20s with my team. Currently wandering around getting towns to fast-travel and gearing up. Went up through a level 45 area and got a really good-looking staff for my Scholar Ophelia and got my Warrior Therion a really good dagger from a cave. Breaking the game is fun.

Just from your description I'm going to guess the items are the wizard rod and viper dagger. Those are insanely good and the amount of top-tier gear you can find by exploring high level areas that will instantly murder you is part of why I got so overleveled because eventually I started managing to kill enemies in those areas. People in their mid-high 20s getting 500+ XP per fight levels you fast.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Nah, Meteorite Rod from a store in Duskbarrow and the Justice Breaker from a cave in the Coastlands. There's probably better gear, but I figured 450 EAtk on Ophelia was plenty.

I'm currently doing Merchant Alfyn and holy poo poo that's solid. He never uses BP, but is more than happy to fuel a murder turn for anyone else.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Zerilan posted:

Are there any particularly good zones for this?

I think the highest is the Forest of Purgation near Wisperwood, it's level 58. It's where I've been going at least.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

total transparency, I don't have access to the advanced jobs yet, but I am going to go out on a limb and say that the skill that hits all enemies six times is probably nuts when you combine it with that skill that causes attacks that hit all enemies to only hit one for bonus damage.

Someone linked a spoiler video so I'm not gonna watch it, but I'm guessing what happens is that the Warmaster is at low health, gets the Hunter buff to boost accuracy and crit chance, gets attack buffed, and get the skill mentioned above used on him, then goes to town.

Pretty close. It does enough aoe damage that you don't even need to waste a divine boost on it (I still maintain most/all the divine buffs are bad but ymmv I guess). Just surpassing power (damage cap lifted) and physical boosts really.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Am I right in thinking that grabbing the Dancer counterattack passive is pretty great for Olberic?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Some Numbers posted:

Am I right in thinking that grabbing the Dancer counterattack passive is pretty great for Olberic?

If it's good on anyone it would be Olbreic. It certainly isn't doing Primrose any favors.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

I played through most of the game with Cyrus, Olberic, Primrose, and Therion; still need to finish a few Chapter 4s and the postgame and I never found the fourth hidden class (Starseer?). So I'm far from completely done, although it's trending that way.

I flip-flopped between Olberic and H'aanit for awhile before settling on Olberic mostly because his BLADE IS UNBENDING.

I have to say though, having just finished it with my B-Team, I really appreciated Alfyn's story. Instead of acquiring the stakes of the others which all seem to hint at the True Final Boss so far, it's just a little morality tale. Very heartfelt.

Out of all the characters I didn't use in combat, Alfyn is also very strong and fun because of Concoct BP spam.

So Alfyn, while still on the B Team, is the most A Team of the B Team, I guess I'm saying.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Your Computer posted:

Wait seriously? :cripes: I hadn't bought that one yet because it specifically says "skills that target one foe" and that seemed very situational.

Oh what, this actually works :psyboom: I had only used it on H'aanit so she could True Strike everyone. The description of the skill is very wrong.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I don't have that one yet and don't see it so I assume that's the ultimate and falls under the "get more JP" thing :v: Also I started using it anyway and turns out the skills that cost a shitload of SP do a shitload of damage, who knew?

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Also now that I have hit the Ch2 towns someone please convince me not to savescum trying to steal all this busted-rear end equipment

It's honestly not really necessary. I don't think I did anything like that until I went to Goldport (which to be fair I went while still doing chapter 2 stuff because I like exploring).

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

So apparently, how much Apothecary/Cleric skills heal for is based on your MDEF stat. If you go east on West Atlasdam Flats, you'll be near the city of Noblecourt, which is where Therion's CH2 starts. Outside the city is a circus leader, who you can very easily 100% steal a helmet from that massively boosts MDEF, meaning your healing abilities will shoot WAY up.

e: in the Noblecourt tavern, you can buy Elemental Armor that significantly boosts MDEF AND MATK. I'm gonna swap Ophilia into my party for a little while and see how crazy we can go with the Scholar subclass.

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 21, 2018

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

https://twitter.com/LetItMelo/status/1020535312093712384

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I got SP saver on Cyrus, welp battles should go smoother.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

So apparently, how much Apothecary/Cleric skills heal for is based on your MDEF stat. If you go east on West Atlasdam Flats, you'll be near the city of Noblecourt, which is where Therion's CH2 starts. Outside the city is a circus leader, who you can very easily 100% steal a helmet from that massively boosts MDEF, meaning your healing abilities will shoot WAY up.

e: in the Noblecourt tavern, you can buy Elemental Armor that significantly boosts MDEF AND MATK. I'm gonna swap Ophilia into my party for a little while and see how crazy we can go with the Scholar subclass.

In Victor's Hollow, near the savepoint, there's a guy that has a robe with over +300 elemental defence.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

drat it I got into that house to improve my stealing in grandport but this lady has like a 14% analyze chance which I failed 15 drat times in a row. And unfortunately I previously saved with only one chance left before losing reputation

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

What about Inquiring?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I want a big spreadsheet with the locations of all the equipment in the game and where to steal it from

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Some Numbers posted:

What about Inquiring?

That's a level 40 inquire. I'm like 19. I think the random seed must not be being reset just by scumming, cause 14% is roughly 1 in 8 and I've tried about 20 times now.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I want a big spreadsheet with the locations of all the equipment in the game and where to steal it from

here you go

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

What the hell it's real

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

That's a level 40 inquire. I'm like 19. I think the random seed must not be being reset just by scumming, cause 14% is roughly 1 in 8 and I've tried about 20 times now.

No, It gets reset by scumming. You might want to take the rep hit and pay 100000 then save and resume scumming just to make life easier.

You more than make back that rep fee after you steal everything not nailed down.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Pharohman777 posted:

No, It gets reset by scumming. You might want to take the rep hit and pay 100000 then save and resume scumming just to make life easier.

You more than make back that rep fee after you steal everything not nailed down.

I spent all my money getting good enough equipment for Olberic to beat down the door. I decided to just do Cyrus chapter 2 and come back, I'll probably have the gold then as well as higher perceive chances.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

I spent all my money getting good enough equipment for Olberic to beat down the door. I decided to just do Cyrus chapter 2 and come back, I'll probably have the gold then as well as higher perceive chances.

The total worth of all Grandport sellables is 108,643.

source- someone on GameFAQs after I google'd Grandport Stealing

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Since Divine Skills are so expensive in JP, which ones are worth finishing out the job skill tree?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Don't do it until you beat up the man in front of a house and scrutinize/inquire the grandma inside for Thieving Tips & Tricks to raise chances from 3-15 percent to 80-100 percent. Otherwise, be prepared to pay a costly sum of 100000 leaves.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I have found information concerning the requirements for accessing the party chat scenes. I haven't verified it, but it seems to have been transcribed from a Japanese strategy guide. If you're like me and want to see all of it, here's basically how it works.

In each chapter 2, 3, or 4, you can get one-on-one conversations between the chapter's main character and each of the other characters. Each one requires you to have that character in your party. They're unlocked after doing a plot scene in that chapter, and are accessible only until the next plot scene. Since the chapter plots are linear, that just means you've got to rotate the characters through your party in the right order and you can be confident you'll see them all. So here's the orders, broken down by character then by chapter.

Ophilia
2. Cyrus, Alfyn, Primrose, Tressa, H'aanit, Therion, Olberic
3. Tressa, H'aanit, Cyrus, Therion, Alfyn, Primrose, Olberic
4. Therion, Primrose, H'aanit, Tressa, Alfyn, Olberic, Cyrus

Cyrus
2. Ophilia, Primrose, Tressa, Therion, H'aanit, Alfyn, Olberic
3. Olberic, H'aanit, Therion, Tressa, Alfyn, Primrose, Ophilia
4. H'aanit, Therion, Alfyn, Primrose, Ophilia, Olberic, Tressa

Tressa
2. H'aanit, Cyrus, Primrose, Ophilia, Olberic, Therion, Alfyn
3. Ophelia, Therion, H'aanit, Olberic, Cyrus, Primrose, Alfyn
4. Cyrus, Ophilia, H'aanit, Therion, Alfyn, Olberic, Primrose

Olberic
2. Cyrus, Primrose, Tressa, H'aanit, Ophilia, Alfyn, Therion
3. Cyrus, H'aanit, Primrose, Alfyn, Ophilia, Tressa, Therion
4. Cyrus, Primrose, Ophilia, Alfyn, Therion, H'aanit, Tressa

Primrose
2. Ophilia, Tressa, Alfyn, Cyrus, Olberic, Therion, H'aanit
3. Tressa, Cyrus, Ophilia, Olberic, Therion, H'annit, Alfyn
4. Cyrus, Therion, Tressa, Ophilia, Olberic, H'aanit, Alfyn

Alfyn
2. H'aanit, Olberic, Cyrus, Tressa, Therion, Primrose, Ophilia
3. Tressa, Therion, Ophilia, Cyrus, Primrose, H'aanit, Olberic
4. Tressa, Cyrus, Primrose, Olberic, Ophilia, Therion, H'aanit

Therion
2. Tressa, Olberic, Primrose, H'aanit, Alfyn, Cyrus, Ophilia
3. Tressa, Cyrus, H'aanit, Primrose, Alfyn, Ophilia, Olberic
4. Tressa, Alfyn, Olberic, Ophilia, H'aanit, Cyrus, Primrose

H'aanit
2. Cyrus, Primrose, Tressa, Therion, Olberic, Ophilia, Alfyn
3. Ophilia, Therion, Cyrus, Tressa, Olberic, Primrose, Alfyn
4. Tressa, Cyrus, Ophilia, Olberic, Therion, Primrose, Alfyn

Additionally, after you've completed any character's chapter 4, there are party chat scenes that can be viewed by bringing certain combinations of three or four characters into a tavern. These can be done in any order, so here's the checklist if you want it.

- Ophilia, Cyrus, Tressa
- Olberic, Cyrus, Tressa
- Therion, H'annit, Ophilia
- H'aanit, Ophilia, Cyrus
- Olberic, Primrose, Tressa
- Olberic, Primrose, Alfyn
- Primrose, Alfyn, Therion
- Alfyn, Therion, H'aanit
- Olberic, Alfyn, Ophilia
- Primrose, Therion, Cyrus
- Olberic, Therion, Ophilia
- Olberic, Therion, Cyrus
- Alfyn, H'aanit, Tressa
- Primrose, H'aanit, Cyrus
- Alfyn, Ophilia, Tressa
- Primrose, H'aanit, Tressa
- Olberic, Alfyn, Cyrus
- Primrose, Therion, H'aanit, Cyrus
- Olberic, Alfyn, Ophilia, Tressa
- Primrose, H'aanit, Cyrus, Tressa

Now that I have this information, I can continue the story.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

Now that I have this information, I can continue the story.

Lol, if you aren't completely paralyzed trying to decide what subjobs to give everyone before chapter 2 anyway.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Hmm you can't Sealticges Bilfegan...

*throws game in trash*

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

So it looks like a couple of thief-boosting NPCs are hidden behind people you have to duel, in which case you might wanna look into getting the Dancer passive that lets you counterattack and the Hunter passive that let you attack twice per turn. I tried turning Olberic into a dodge tank by pumping his evasion, but I was getting hit every single time by this magic attack an old lady casted at me, so maybe magic attacks can't miss?

Also, a little confused about the way equipment works. So let's say you have a spear with really high damage but an axe with really low damage. The axe attacks don't gain anything from the spear's attack stat. But what about the other stats, like I'm seeing this spear that boosts Magic Attack and Accuracy. Do all your weapons contribute to a cumulative magic damage? Does the bonus accuracy from that spear work on all your attacks, or just spear-based attacks? If it's the former, I'm thinking about getting weapons that increase accuracy on my Warrior who will use the multi-hit spear attack.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

DalaranJ posted:

Lol, if you aren't completely paralyzed trying to decide what subjobs to give everyone before chapter 2 anyway.

Honestly, you're going to pick one of the advanced jobs anyways once you hit the endgame so don't even worry about it. Just dive into whichever class has the passives you want, or whichever class is Dancer

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Also, a little confused about the way equipment works. So let's say you have a spear with really high damage but an axe with really low damage. The axe attacks don't gain anything from the spear's attack stat. But what about the other stats, like I'm seeing this spear that boosts Magic Attack and Accuracy. Do all your weapons contribute to a cumulative magic damage?
As I understand it, only the weapon with the highest magic attack stat counts (except for the Runelord elemental runes, which use the magic stat of the weapon you chose for the physical attack).

I'd assume that +Accuracy on a spear only applies to spear attacks.

Quantum Toast fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 21, 2018

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
It’s hard to capture monsters for H’aanit when Scholar Ophilia takes them from 100-0 in a single attack :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Honestly, you're going to pick one of the advanced jobs anyways once you hit the endgame so don't even worry about it. Just dive into whichever class has the passives you want, or whichever class is Dancer

Really, it's a brilliant idea that gained JP can be spent on any job. So as long as you only buy stuff that is useful it doesn't matter what job you have assigned in the moment.

Is what I'm constantly repeating to myself to convince myself to stop analyzing it.