Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Anybody got kids doing BJJ and have done an IBJJF tournament?

Do a lot of kids show up for these things?

It's more expensive than the tournaments my kids have done before, but I'm hoping they get more fights there (they usually only get around two fights at local tournaments).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

district of thizz
May 9, 2006

How do, jerry bus.

From my experience in California there are always a ton of kids. The IBJJF and other tournament organizers post online competitor lists so you can take a look to see how large a tournament in your area may be.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

spacetoaster posted:

Anybody got kids doing BJJ and have done an IBJJF tournament?

Do a lot of kids show up for these things?

It's more expensive than the tournaments my kids have done before, but I'm hoping they get more fights there (they usually only get around two fights at local tournaments).

I appreciate how in isolation this comment is a father complaining about a lack of opportunities he has to make his children fight other children

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

heeebrew posted:

Quintet 2 was awesome. Loved seeing 10p go out, have some really tough matches and come out victorious.

Haisam Rida was the standout imo. Thats def a guy to watch going forward.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

district of thizz posted:

From my experience in California there are always a ton of kids. The IBJJF and other tournament organizers post online competitor lists so you can take a look to see how large a tournament in your area may be.

Do they do that for kid stuff? I'm going to ask the gym head honcho tomorrow, but it's been my experience that detailed info on kid sports usually doesn't go on the internet.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I appreciate how in isolation this comment is a father complaining about a lack of opportunities he has to make his children fight other children

Yeah, we get some weird looks from ballet/soccer moms when they ask about what my daughter does.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Haisam Rida was the standout imo. Thats def a guy to watch going forward.

Rida getting guillotined by Geo though.... that was a holy poo poo moment for sure.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

heeebrew posted:

Rida getting guillotined by Geo though.... that was a holy poo poo moment for sure.

For sure. Beautiful execution.

Looking forward to the next one. I really like the 5 man elimination format they have.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Landed the Lachlan Giles inverted north-south anaconda on someone good today. It took about 6 failed attempts before it worked. People are panicking when I get them to that positoin, though. It's great.

district of thizz
May 9, 2006

How do, jerry bus.

spacetoaster posted:

Do they do that for kid stuff? I'm going to ask the gym head honcho tomorrow, but it's been my experience that detailed info on kid sports usually doesn't go on the internet.

Yeah, we get some weird looks from ballet/soccer moms when they ask about what my daughter does.

The IBJJF kids championship lists registered competitors age divisions, rank, and weight: http://ibjjf.com/championship/kids-international-jiu-jitsu-championship-las-vegas/

I would take a look at the IBJJF calendar to see the tournament that the instructor mentioned: http://ibjjf.com/championships/calendar/

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

district of thizz posted:

The IBJJF kids championship lists registered competitors age divisions, rank, and weight: http://ibjjf.com/championship/kids-international-jiu-jitsu-championship-las-vegas/

I would take a look at the IBJJF calendar to see the tournament that the instructor mentioned: http://ibjjf.com/championships/calendar/

Thank you!

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

CommonShore posted:

Landed the Lachlan Giles inverted north-south anaconda on someone good today. It took about 6 failed attempts before it worked. People are panicking when I get them to that positoin, though. It's great.

I'm having a bit of trouble getting my guillotine mechanics right, because I've learned different ways to do guillotines from about six different people, and i'm getting my wires crossed. But I've hit that anaconda about five times now, mostly from the z-guard pass. It owns.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

CommonShore posted:

As someone who has never seen this dvd can you explain it a bit more to me please?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
exceptionally stupid question

do you guys wash your belts? I thought you aren't supposed to wash them on principle, but some of the other white belts have way cleaner belts than I do.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

do you guys wash your belts? I thought you aren't supposed to wash them on principle, but some of the other white belts have way cleaner belts than I do.

Yes. Don't be gross, principle of what? You like being a walking staph infection?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Some people say don't. But I always did. My white was definitely off-white by the end though.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

If you wear it on the mat, wash it after class before wearing it on the mat again.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yep. I had the same question earlier.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

It’s a tradition from older martial arts I think.

I was told that the belt system started because way back in the day someone who had the most off-white belt would be the guy training most, until they just formalized it by dying it black to represent experience.

I think you should wash your belt shits gross.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

JaySB posted:

Yes. Don't be gross, principle of what? You like being a walking staph infection?

I wash everything else, chill. I see a lot of higher ranker guys with tattered belts and had heard similar things about how you weren't supposed to wash or replace your belt unless you are given another one. Guess it isnt true though so yeah I will wash it

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I was told that the belt system started because way back in the day someone who had the most off-white belt would be the guy training most, until they just formalized it by dying it black to represent experience.

I think you should wash your belt shits gross.

I thought Kano came up with it for Judo.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

JaySB posted:

As someone who has never seen this dvd can you explain it a bit more to me please?

Inverted North South, you get there by sweeping from an arm-in guillotine:

Secures the arm with his top leg:

Now that the arm can't move, he can now safely change grips:

The anaconda finish:

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Nah, this isn't true. The belt system didn't exist until judo which is only a hundred years old.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

JaySB posted:

Opponent is in seated guard. Head wrap and roll, grabbing the tricep with the free hand. Control them with chin and arm control with your head below the trapped arm, basically in the armpit. Bridge your leg up to hook the trapped arm and pull it over their head as you punch up with the arm on the tricep. Move the hand from the chin to the bicep and profit.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Thanks guys. Neil Melanson has something similar from a half guard pass that I work, but I have short arms so fml

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I wash everything else, chill.

tbf this isn't something to 'chill' on - wash your belt

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Dirty clothing is one of two main vectors for grappling skin afflictions. Note that staph and strep can kill you. Skin strep can lead to permanent kidney damage I learned yesterday.

Your dirty poo poo can and will make your training partners sick. Wash your poo poo. It takes exactly zero percent more effort to wash your belt than to wash your gear.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I asked one of my coaches the other day(after seeing this) if he washes his belt and you don’t what to know what he said

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CommonShore posted:

Dirty clothing is one of two main vectors for grappling skin afflictions. Note that staph and strep can kill you. Skin strep can lead to permanent kidney damage I learned yesterday.

Your dirty poo poo can and will make your training partners sick. Wash your poo poo. It takes exactly zero percent more effort to wash your belt than to wash your gear.

old.flv posted:

tbf this isn't something to 'chill' on - wash your belt

I already said I was going to start doing it now. The reason I asked because I thought you weren't supposed to and wanted to check. That's what I meant by chill, once I knew to do it I did it.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

I'm reminded of the guy on reddit who asked if he really was supposed to sit on the toilet seat when he shat, as everyone knew men left the seat up.

https://www.reddit.com/r/tifu/comments/2jgfhw/tifu_by_using_a_toilet_wrong_my_entire_life/

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
hey guys just chiming in to say wash your loving belt

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Sorry I was phone posting for like a week

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Inverted North South, you get there by sweeping from an arm-in guillotine:

Secures the arm with his top leg:

Now that the arm can't move, he can now safely change grips:

The anaconda finish:

Nah, this isn't true. The belt system didn't exist until judo which is only a hundred years old.

Thanks for this. I just drilled the poo poo out of arm in triangle with a friend over the weekend. Now to try this :)

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Neck soreness!

I've signed up for BJJ classes for the first time in probably 5 years. I've trained a few times this year, and I get quite a lot of soreness/tightness in the back of my neck. The sensation starts while I'm training, carries over after the class and into the next day. Its the back of my neck somehow, kinda where my neck meets my back. I was sure to stretch my neck before class the last two times but the soreness came anyway. I thought it was from over zealous training partners cranking on my neck (and my atrophied muscles used to posture up). But this last class I noticed tightness well before rolling-- I think we were doing forward and backward rolls as warmups and I was already feeling it.

The solution is to just keep practicing I think, and my neck will get stronger. In the meantime, does anyone have any stretches, or warm ups, or exercises that might help me through this?

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Count Roland posted:

Neck soreness!

I've signed up for BJJ classes for the first time in probably 5 years. I've trained a few times this year, and I get quite a lot of soreness/tightness in the back of my neck. The sensation starts while I'm training, carries over after the class and into the next day. Its the back of my neck somehow, kinda where my neck meets my back. I was sure to stretch my neck before class the last two times but the soreness came anyway. I thought it was from over zealous training partners cranking on my neck (and my atrophied muscles used to posture up). But this last class I noticed tightness well before rolling-- I think we were doing forward and backward rolls as warmups and I was already feeling it.

The solution is to just keep practicing I think, and my neck will get stronger. In the meantime, does anyone have any stretches, or warm ups, or exercises that might help me through this?

Stretch after class too.

Also, I got one of these and lay on it for 10-15 mins most mornings and nights and it is magic.

https://www.amazon.com/ProSource-Acupressure-Pillow-Relief-Relaxation/dp/B00I3FNAUQ

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

butros posted:

Stretch after class too.

Also, I got one of these and lay on it for 10-15 mins most mornings and nights and it is magic.

https://www.amazon.com/ProSource-Acupressure-Pillow-Relief-Relaxation/dp/B00I3FNAUQ

might grab one for my back

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I was super skeptical but it works for me so I don't care if it's placebo or not, and for $20 it's not much of a risk.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Invest in a foam roller or find a good masseuse

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

spb posted:

Invest in a foam roller or find a good masseuse

I didn't know about foam rollers until last week when my running buddy showed them to me. I don't know how I survived without, they're amazing.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Anyone have suggestions for where I should go for a Vancouver drop-in?

e. I'm staying near the Gracie Barra, but I've been instructed by my girlfriend that I should do no-gi class so I don't have to jam a gi into my luggage when I'm already packing for a wedding.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jul 24, 2018

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Take a tuxedo gi.

Duh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Sep 9, 2022