Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Cerebral Bore posted:

Are you really so naive that you think this poo poo isn't deliberate?

It is deliberate on the part of media and politicians, but I think a lot of random people (like D&D posters or whatever) just get swept up in the greater liberal "culture" and the various truisms it accepts as common sense. Glenn Greenwald is a crazy dumb-dumb because that's just common sense, and they've been shown a cherry-picked handful of tweets (or whatever) that are maybe somewhat dumb. Proportionality never enters into things, because they've already been primed to interpret any counter-argument as the desperate flailing of a leftist bro who knows he's in the wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coathat
May 21, 2007

Thug Lessons posted:

An Israeli Arab paraglided into Syria using a drone, joined ISIS, got captured by the SAA, escaped, and was arrested when he returned to Israel.

https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/249116

I'll call your goofy story and raise you a terribly depressing one about the rewards of heroism. http://time.com/longform/nadia-murad-isis-refugee-omar-jabar/

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

coathat posted:

I'll call your goofy story and raise you a terribly depressing one about the rewards of heroism. http://time.com/longform/nadia-murad-isis-refugee-omar-jabar/

Yeah I saw this earlier today, completely hosed up and definitely just the tip of the iceberg

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
who the gently caress cloned tucker carlson and replaced him with a cool guy

https://twitter.com/sahouraxo/status/1019702368429101056

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
interesting he doesnt mention yemen. i guess those are good, normal war.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 22 days!)

Darkman Fanpage posted:

interesting he doesnt mention yemen. i guess those are good, normal war.

Gary Johnson didn't know about Aleppo.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

mila kunis posted:

who the gently caress cloned tucker carlson and replaced him with a cool guy

https://twitter.com/sahouraxo/status/1019702368429101056
has tucker carlson always been this critical of american foreign policy?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

He sides with the alt right Based Assad stuff

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

comedyblissoption posted:

has tucker carlson always been this critical of american foreign policy?

the gently caress do you think

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
a reminder that especially with tariffs raising CPI higher and higher, war with iran and the strait of hormuz becoming a pyroscape would be the best economic news working class americans have received since the New Deal as oil spikes well past the breakeven point for shale and the USA becomes the biggest petrostate in the world within like, 2 years.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Willie Tomg posted:

a reminder that especially with tariffs raising CPI higher and higher, war with iran and the strait of hormuz becoming a pyroscape would be the best economic news working class americans have received since the New Deal as oil spikes well past the breakeven point for shale and the USA becomes the biggest petrostate in the world within like, 2 years.

It won't happen unless Israel wants it to. The US would need all the intel the mossad gathered about Iran's enriched uranium to ensure that Iran can't smuggle out the enriched uranium to terrorists in case the US invades. Israel would pressure the US to formally accept Israel annexing the occupied territories in exchange for all the info they have on Iran's enrichment program.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

It is deliberate on the part of media and politicians, but I think a lot of random people (like D&D posters or whatever) just get swept up in the greater liberal "culture" and the various truisms it accepts as common sense. Glenn Greenwald is a crazy dumb-dumb because that's just common sense, and they've been shown a cherry-picked handful of tweets (or whatever) that are maybe somewhat dumb. Proportionality never enters into things, because they've already been primed to interpret any counter-argument as the desperate flailing of a leftist bro who knows he's in the wrong.

naming no names, a very frustrating thing with Certain PostersTM is they're clearly informed enough to have an accurate view of the situation because of the way they tactically tiptoe around certain orthogonal issues that illustrate the hilarious futility of american foreign policy (such as CIA and pentagon catspaws fighting each other just as hard as they fight Assad) and yet, apparently, are unflinching in their advocacy of the commitment of Someone Else's Kid to the venture on the infrequent occasions one can tease a declarative proscriptive statement out of them beyond "Someone Must Do SOmething"

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

qkkl posted:

It won't happen unless Israel wants it to. The US would need all the intel the mossad gathered about Iran's enriched uranium to ensure that Iran can't smuggle out the enriched uranium to terrorists in case the US invades. Israel would pressure the US to formally accept Israel annexing the occupied territories in exchange for all the info they have on Iran's enrichment program.

I somehow feel all relevant parties within the US and Israel will find it in their hearts to accede to such a campaign.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Trump starting a war after midterms, securing the base as a wartime consigliere and utterly fractally loving up the Democratic base between the natsec libs who love AIPAC money and the antiwar left is basically How He Wins. Every political, military, and economic incentive favors this.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Willie Tomg posted:

naming no names, a very frustrating thing with Certain PostersTM is they're clearly informed enough to have an accurate view of the situation because of the way they tactically tiptoe around certain orthogonal issues that illustrate the hilarious futility of american foreign policy (such as CIA and pentagon catspaws fighting each other just as hard as they fight Assad) and yet, apparently, are unflinching in their advocacy of the commitment of Someone Else's Kid to the venture on the infrequent occasions one can tease a declarative proscriptive statement out of them beyond "Someone Must Do SOmething"

Not me! I say abolish the CIA.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Willie Tomg posted:

I somehow feel all relevant parties within the US and Israel will find it in their hearts to accede to such a campaign.

north israel would get massively bombarded in a war with iran. they'd definitely want some concessions before agreeing to let the US start the war.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Willie Tomg posted:

Trump starting a war after midterms, securing the base as a wartime consigliere and utterly fractally loving up the Democratic base between the natsec libs who love AIPAC money and the antiwar left is basically How He Wins. Every political, military, and economic incentive favors this.

TBH I don't think Americans want another war in the Middle East over non-existent WMDs.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

qkkl posted:

north israel would get massively bombarded in a war with iran. they'd definitely want some concessions before agreeing to let the US start the war.

hrm you know what I think donald james trump would agree to those concessions. whatever they are. i contend that it is more difficult to imagine what his administration wouldn't support, rather than what it would.

Thug Lessons posted:

TBH I don't think Americans want another war in the Middle East over non-existent WMDs.

This is accurate. So is this: Americans don't want most of the stupid poo poo that's been done by and to us in the last 40 years, including the last two republican administrations entering power at all. And yet:

Willie Tomg has issued a correction as of 21:56 on Jul 20, 2018

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Willie Tomg posted:

This is accurate. So is this: Americans don't want most of the stupid poo poo that's been done by and to us in the last 40 years, including the last two republican administrations. And yet:

I think you're underestimating how unpopular it would be. I could see the US or Israel doing airstrikes on nuclear facilities but an actual ground war isn't feasible. Also, we have been just about to go to war with Iran for the past 15 years so I've learned to be skeptical.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Thug Lessons posted:

I think you're underestimating how unpopular it would be. I could see the US or Israel doing airstrikes on nuclear facilities but an actual ground war isn't feasible. Also, we have been just about to go to war with Iran for the past 15 years so I've learned to be skeptical.

Ground war in Iraq was unfeasible until a year before the ground war in Iraq, and things are far weirder and less rational now than they were in 2002. War with Iran was never not a macro objective, it just got forestalled for a bunch of reasons--not least of which being: Iranian support of Iraqi militias necessitating a change in American strategy in Iraq until sectarian paramilitary infighting ran the clock out on a new administration who won largely on a platform of consistent opposition to the Iraq war.

There does need to be some kind of excuse! Some kind of cache in Lebanon or Yemen, some kind of grievance over some border or other, some kind of reaction to some kind of incursion into Gaza, maybe the protests in south Iraq will turn into something, who knows. Maybe the US conjures it up, or maybe its Israel. But war with North Korea ain't in the offing, so if Trump wants a second term he's got exactly one whipping boy that even the Deep State can agree with him on.

I know you're smarter than to think the news media will provide a nuanced, contextual view which highlights the absurdity of such a situation.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Thug Lessons posted:

don't worry apparently you can whip up americans into a war fervor based on a Humanitarian Intervention on short notice

the US networks just need to start their wartime propaganda wheels to build mass public support while completely blocking out the anti-war movement

I wouldn't put it past polling to just straight up lie about public war support to create a bandwagon effect and to encourage silence

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Willie Tomg posted:

Ground war in Iraq was unfeasible until a year before the ground war in Iraq, and things are far weirder and less rational now than they were in 2002. War with Iran was never not a macro objective, it just got forestalled for a bunch of reasons--not least of which being: Iranian support of Iraqi militias necessitating a change in American strategy in Iraq until sectarian paramilitary infighting ran the clock out on a new administration who won largely on a platform of consistent opposition to the Iraq war.

The main problem is where they'd invade from. I don't think any of the countries bordering Iran would allow it, so it basically necessitates re-invading Iraq or Afghanistan to even get started. Or storming the beaches Normandy-style, which would be a fiasco.

quote:

I know you're smarter than to think the news media will provide a nuanced, contextual view which highlights the absurdity of such a situation.

Sure, but the media is furiously anti-Trump, and they were at most mixed on even ripping up the Iran deal. They did gave fawning praise to the Syria strikes, but they had also been champing at the bit for a Libya-style intervention in Syria since the war began and the intervention was sharply limited.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

comedyblissoption posted:

don't worry apparently you can whip up americans into a war fervor based on a Humanitarian Intervention on short notice

the US networks just need to start their wartime propaganda wheels to build mass public support while completely blocking out the anti-war movement

I wouldn't put it past polling to just straight up lie about public war support to create a bandwagon effect and to encourage silence

When Obama was contemplating intervention, you actually had a majority opposed. Surely a large part of this was due to Republicans hating anything Obama did, but I expect given that you have a similar Democratic revulsion towards Trump you'd have a similar response.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Willie Tomg posted:

Thank you for your progressive position of mass killing foreigners so you can destroy your environment & increase corporate profits

THS
Sep 15, 2017

the american invaders will break upon the shoals of iran and the persian gulf will run red

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Thug Lessons posted:

When Obama was contemplating intervention, you actually had a majority opposed. Surely a large part of this was due to Republicans hating anything Obama did, but I expect given that you have a similar Democratic revulsion towards Trump you'd have a similar response.
liberals were whooping and hollering when trump bombed syria and were complaining that he didn't do enough

obama literally militarily overthrew the government of libya based on a casus belli just as absurd as the iraq wmds justification and handled the aftermath even worse than bush and isn't widely villified for it

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

obama's casus belli to invade libya was a little smarter than in iraq because obama's casus belli was non-falsifiable

THS
Sep 15, 2017

gaddafi was going to murder every single civilian in libya if we didnt invade ok

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

steinrokkan posted:

Thank you for your progressive position of mass killing foreigners so you can destroy your environment & increase corporate profits

Goondolences on you contracting the "can't distinguish between normative and descriptive statements" disease.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Thug Lessons posted:

It really all comes down to a hypothetical pretext that admittedly does not, as yet, exist. If a Saudi frigate (and not just a barge loitering offshore) gets torched with an Iranian missile, or Israel is forced to take Robust Self-Defense Measures against whatever delusional bullshit then enough Democrats will do as they're told that opposition will be a formality. Americans, as a body, don't give a gently caress, but lanyards care very very deeply about the persian menace for reasons they no doubt feel are rational and sound.

Even in the fractally hosed-up circular firing squad that characterizes contemporary beltway politics, this is probably the one thing an organically occurring plurality can agree on even if its psychotic and as you point out would necessarily involve changing the Iraqi government at gunpoint as step one. Again.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

if you think america isn't crazy or stupid enough to whip itself up into a war against iran you've learned nothing from the last two decades

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I guess we'll have to wait and see. I don't think we're going to invade Iran and even if we did it'd be deeply unpopular, especially among Democrats. Not any more worried about this than the last hundred times we were supposedly on the brink of war with Iran.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
America is too chickenshit to fight a war against a real rear end nationstate.

What we're doing is keeping the economic warfare going until internal disputes develop.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Willie Tomg posted:

It really all comes down to a hypothetical pretext that admittedly does not, as yet, exist. If a Saudi frigate (and not just a barge loitering offshore) gets torched with an Iranian missile, or Israel is forced to take Robust Self-Defense Measures against whatever delusional bullshit then enough Democrats will do as they're told that opposition will be a formality. Americans, as a body, don't give a gently caress, but lanyards care very very deeply about the persian menace for reasons they no doubt feel are rational and sound.

Even in the fractally hosed-up circular firing squad that characterizes contemporary beltway politics, this is probably the one thing an organically occurring plurality can agree on even if its psychotic and as you point out would necessarily involve changing the Iraqi government at gunpoint as step one. Again.

Yeah, I wonder if America will even get the Isfahan before casualties reach over three thousand.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Crowsbeak posted:

Yeah, I wonder if America will even get the Isfahan before casualties reach over three thousand.

casualties are good, it will make the american public even more determined to win the war, lest those first troops die in vain.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

qkkl posted:

casualties are good, it will make the american public even more determined to win the war, lest those first troops die in vain.

HA HA HA HA HA HA!

Where were you when people were freaking out when the two thousandth American was killed in Iraq?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/jreichelt/status/1020781171167248385

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Frijolero posted:

America is too chickenshit to fight a war against a real rear end nationstate.

What we're doing is keeping the economic warfare going until internal disputes develop.

judging from posts by certain unnamed d&d shills that seems to be the current strategy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

mila kunis posted:

judging from posts by certain unnamed d&d shills that seems to be the current strategy

Yeah, it seems like it is also spreading to Iraq (basically classic containment tactics).

Anyway, we aren't going invade Iran...probably because the Russians and Chinese can easily sell them a bunch of toys that would make it a real fight.

Liberals hate Glen Greenwald because they're nationalists, love war, and get a hard-on for hegemony. That is it. They don't give a poo poo about gas attacks or dead civilians beyond what they can use them for politically. The Middle East thread is practically a primary source on the subject.

Liberals just want the economic status quo and America's dominance to continue forever, everything else is tactical window-dressing. It is why they hate Trump so much because he is accelerating the collapse of the US' stranglehold on humanity, but in all honesty, it was already crumbling under Obama.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 14:30 on Jul 22, 2018