Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Weight reduction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Believe that's supposed to go on the other side of the swingarm because it makes the center of gravity lower.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Caliper upgrade, radial master including a bunch of 3d printed stuff to make the stock handguard fit; it normally attaches to the brake lever pivot. Also had to add spacers to the other hand guard to get them to line up again.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
What a beautiful biek

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
What the hell is it with Harley Davidson and chrome? I love this bike but the (somewhat minimal, honestly) chrome that comes on it is loving stupid.

After|Before

All that bullshit around the tank-mounted speedometer just serves as a giant mirror for the sun to reflect right into my eyes.

Once you go black you.. really start to wonder why it wasn't specced that way to begin with.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

At the rate they're going they may not make bikes for much longer so thats a self correcting problem.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Strife posted:

What the hell is it with Harley Davidson and chrome? I love this bike but the (somewhat minimal, honestly) chrome that comes on it is loving stupid.

After|Before

All that bullshit around the tank-mounted speedometer just serves as a giant mirror for the sun to reflect right into my eyes.

Once you go black you.. really start to wonder why it wasn't specced that way to begin with.

Do you really have to fill up the gas tank on both sides?

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

I know that one of them was for the oil, in the very distant past, and then, one was just for decoration. What is it now?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

On some of them it's a fuel level gauge.

On others it's another fill hole.

On others it's another fill hole but can't be opened for what I assume are legal reasons.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Strife posted:

After|Before

John Deere doesn't poo poo chrome all over its farming implements, gotta wonder why HD does on theirs

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Slavvy posted:

On some of them it's a fuel level gauge.

On others it's another fill hole.

On others it's another fill hole but can't be opened for what I assume are legal reasons.

On this bike it does nothing. You can unscrew it but there’s just a slight depression in the tank with the metal screw piece. It’s just a decoration.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

There are certain states that do have very definite opinions on what holes may be used for inserting things into, yes.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Strife posted:

What the hell is it with Harley Davidson and chrome?

Chrome is good. :colbert:

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Renaissance Robot posted:

Chrome is good. :colbert:

A friend of mine saw a chrome Corvette the other day (at night).

I desperately want to see what it's like to see something like that at noon on a highway on a sunny day. It must be absolutely blinding.

tjones
May 13, 2005
That norton is amazing and beautiful and good and holy gently caress I'd love to ride it but the chrome version is too much. I get what they were going for, I think, but still. (Throwback to the old brushed aluminum and chrome, right?) The carbon version is better in every way:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If they skipped the chrome/polished frame, that would be a perfect 10, as it stands its a 9/10 sadly

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Nah the fairing nose and lights shape is poo poo too

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That is a hideous bike.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oh, I didnt even notice the lights. Did they just stick lights in the ram air ducts of a GSXR nose section? That really looks like a GSXR front end if you take the lights out

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Usual boring poo poo. Put about 300 miles on the 8 in the last 2 days. Missed having one of these.

Strip / Lube chains, wash the junk off, polish the plastics, etc. The CF wheels look real purdy in the sun when they're clean.

Garage pals 4 life.

E: Also forgot I reset the PO's suspension adjustments back to factory sport spec. Dude had that poo poo dialed down about 10 notches below the "comfort" settings.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 21, 2018

Ridgewell
Apr 29, 2009

Ai tolja tahitta ferlip inbaul intada oh'l! Andatdohn meenis ferlip ineer oh'l!
I picked up my new Yamaha MT-07 (2018 model RM 17/18) yesterday and took it for a spin through Weinviertel (translation: wine quarter), an region Austrian region to the north of Vienna. I put the bike's first ~160 km on this way.

The need to break the engine is isn't a big deal, but the brand new tires are a bit annoying. I just don't feel very safe with them yet. One hairpin turn had a bit of sand or so and I slipped a bit, but fortunately recovered just in time.

Today I rode again, though only for a short tour around the Exelberg and Scheiblingstein hills, over Cobenzl (hills very well suited to motorcycling) and back into Vienna. I put on another ~60 km.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

tjones posted:

That norton is amazing and beautiful and good and holy gently caress I'd love to ride it but the chrome version is too much. I get what they were going for, I think, but still. (Throwback to the old brushed aluminum and chrome, right?) The carbon version is better in every way:

I cannot unsee this beak nosed no-jawed googly eyed motherfucker showing up to the local bike meet now.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
The other day I rode bikes from 1998 and 2005 and 1972 and 1923 in the same day

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

How did it feel to fidget with a manual oil pump and ignition retard, and then fidget with the mode select...

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

did you miss a comma?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Finally got the maze of o-rings and gaskets back together on the gold wing water pump nightmare. The thermostat had also given up the ghost, so I'm glad I got one to replace it.

Gapped the plugs, cleaned the jets, filled with oil, and ran it on the stand until it stopped burping.

Filled the whole thing with distilled water and ran up and down the block a couple times. I'm now going to let the thing cool down and drain the water and replace with water/antifreeze mix. Also check valve clearances since I got new valve cover bolts/washers/gaskets that were made this century and maybe won't dribble oil.

I think I've got the number of oil leaks down into the single digits finally.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Motorcycle design was very solidified by the 1970’s, so I’d imagine the 1923 was the only truly weird one? 72-98-05 are just progressively better technology attached to the same basic layout.

Again, I’d imagine. Unless you rode an RE5 or something truly bonkers as the 72 bike

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
On the Rex: changed oil and filter, went through all the easily accessed bolts and tightened what needed it, cleaned and waxed the chain.

Fun fact: its aftermarket exhaust (Over Racing) looks good, sounds great, and runs partially underneath the compartment for the cartridge oil filter. I had to pull it off up to the 4-into-1 collector to drop the filter out. Fortunately, after a little experimentation, I figured out in the future I could take the filter out piece by piece and put it back in the same way, and that should be doable with the exhaust in place.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Motorcycle design was very solidified by the 1970’s, so I’d imagine the 1923 was the only truly weird one? 72-98-05 are just progressively better technology attached to the same basic layout.

Again, I’d imagine. Unless you rode an RE5 or something truly bonkers as the 72 bike
Never ridden one but I would imagine that an RE5 feels totally normal and boring except maybe for the sound.

The 72 was a Guzzi, normal control layout, nothing weird except the brakes needed a lot of work. The 23 was a Ner-a-car which is one of the strangest bikes ever made. No oil pump or ignition controls though, it's got static timing and no fluids but gas in it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

So what, the bottom end bearings run on grease and prayers?

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Slavvy posted:

So what, the bottom end bearings run on grease and prayers?

It's lubricated by castor oil, I'd imagine.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A bike that old has got to be a premixed two-stoke.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
It’s premix with modern synthetic 2t oil. The rod bearing is loose roller but the crank bearings are regular sealed things. Everything else on the bike, transmission shaft, transmission bearings, wheels, steering, shift linkage, kicker, is just grease. Pretty nice actually, the daily maintenance on this thing will be minimal.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

It’s premix with modern synthetic 2t oil. The rod bearing is loose roller but the crank bearings are regular sealed things. Everything else on the bike, transmission shaft, transmission bearings, wheels, steering, shift linkage, kicker, is just grease. Pretty nice actually, the daily maintenance on this thing will be minimal.

Also a clutch and transmission that can be fixed by a saddler.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The finest oak gears!!

Feka
Jan 21, 2013

No soup for you!
I did not wash my bike again this weekend and slowly but surely I'm feeling guilty about it.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I have not washed my bike since I put it in storage last autumn. I've been meaning to wash it, I promise.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Should we start a bike confessional thread?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Bike Confessionals: itt we are the PO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The finest oak gears!!
The clutch, which is also kind of the transmission, is made of paper.