Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Ewar Woowar posted:

This has been the best transfer window we've had- likely ever. We've finally prioritised quality over quantity.

Not only am I impressed with who we've brought in but any time we sell it seems to be for way over what we should expect. Ward going for twelve million is up there with Ibe and Smith going to Bournemouth fir fifteen plus million. Plus we'll almost certainly make profits on Ings when he's sold too.

It's also made better by United not fixing their issues, Tottenham not doing anything, Arsenal buying the type of players we used to buy, and Chelsea worrying about losing their key players.

Now watch us gently caress it all up.

Um u might want to think about City in this analysis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Barcelona apparently want Mignolet as replacement for Cillessen.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

losing your spot in the liverpool team for being poo poo and then somehow signing for barcelona has got to be the definition of failing upwards

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Bogan Krkic posted:

losing your spot in the liverpool team for being poo poo and then somehow signing for barcelona has got to be the definition of failing upwards

He'd be mildly less poo poo in Spain I guess. Following the path trod by Vermaelen

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/1020661954929676289

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

greazeball posted:

Look at the Stockholm syndrome here: "there's no value in the market"

im happy with arsenal's business

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Arsenal really need to sign Ramsey to a contract extension, and they could probably use another midfielder.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Thank god

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

blue footed boobie posted:

Arsenal really need to sign Ramsey to a contract extension, and they could probably use another midfielder.

It must be considered a foregone conclusion because there's been absolutely no solid reports suggesting he'll be sold.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

EvilHawk posted:

Barcelona apparently want Mignolet as replacement for Cillessen.
I wanted Cillessen instead of Allison but that's just me. Allison is the signing I'm most worried about.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

cheese posted:

I wanted Cillessen instead of Allison but that's just me. Allison is the signing I'm most worried about.

Why? Cillessen has barely played since joining Barcelona.

brasstassels
Oct 26, 2007
Erik Lamela and Sonny both signed new contracts yesterday. Seems like Poch has made holding onto current players a higher priority than signing new ones.

Dembele may end up riding out the last year of his contract as well. There hasn't been any interest from Italy really, though there were some rumors Fenerbahce were interested.

Please just sign a player Levy. At least one

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Gent just bought Vadis Odjidja, neat.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Bogan Krkic posted:

tarbrush posted:

He'd be mildly less poo poo in Spain I guess. Following the path trod by Vermaelen

Remember Hleb?

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Andre Gomes linked again but unsure if that is in addition to Ramsey renewing or in case he isn’t.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

wasn't hleb good for arsenal before he went to barca though?

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

https://twitter.com/memethegoat/status/1020726944801984512

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Andre Gomes linked again but unsure if that is in addition to Ramsey renewing or in case he isn’t.

I believe he is plan B in case Ramsey doesn't sign. I remember Hleb being very good for Arsenal before going to Barca and being a wasteman and getting fat. I'm not sure which of the 3 sales to Barca was best: Song, Vermaelen, or Hleb.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I believe he is plan B in case Ramsey doesn't sign. I remember Hleb being very good for Arsenal before going to Barca and being a wasteman and getting fat. I'm not sure which of the 3 sales to Barca was best: Song, Vermaelen, or Hleb.

Song was by far the best because his agents tried to use Barcelona's interest as leverage to get a better contract from Arsenal but the club was instead like "welp cya"

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Not even a question

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Bobby Digital posted:

Not even a question

gently caress this is so cringe

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Bobby Digital posted:

Not even a question

I had forgot about this

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

As a lame nerd, I like to imagine that Gattuso would not have entertained having a degenerate like Benzema on his squad.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

shut up blegum posted:

Gent just bought Vadis Odjidja, neat.

He hasn't been the same since leaving Legia. Hopefully they will get some quality out of him again.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

Bogan Krkic posted:

wasn't hleb good for arsenal before he went to barca though?

he played in the hole behind the striker and was really good at holding the ball and distributing it, but really bad at actually scoring goals. i liked him.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
How was Flamini when he was Arsenal?

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

Brony Car posted:

he and cesc had a perfect midfield duo partnership for about half a season and then he left for milan. then he came back and put 2 past spurs.

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001
Flamini was the player Wenger needed and rarely started. Followed by Coquelin. lol

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Song was by far the best because his agents tried to use Barcelona's interest as leverage to get a better contract from Arsenal but the club was instead like "welp cya"

In addition to the comedy of the above gif he also started playing ridiculous forward through balls and turning over possession all the time when we sold him, literally negating his own role.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Brony Car posted:

Flamingo was a useful utility player for most of his time at Arsenal, then he had a breakthrough season and left.

Hleb was a nice player. Arsenal fans tend to overrate him in hindsight and really forget how much he epitomized arsenal trying to walk it in to the net in the late 00’s. Like others have said, he had insane close control but little end product. It was a bummer when he left, but then it was interesting to see his career totally fall apart.

E: Hleb also left his hotel to discuss a transfer with Inter when Arsenal were in Milan for a CL tie with AC Milan, and Hleb said he was “getting ice cream” or something equally unbelievable.

blue footed boobie fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 21, 2018

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Flamini's return was tarnished with being one of many victims of a manager that knew he should have a defensive minded midfielder while not being entirely sure why.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Imagine a nice fancy dinner with his eczema flaking off all over that suit

Lol

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Um u might want to think about City in this analysis

City are obviously favourites and Mahrez is going to make them even more dangerous going forward although I think they will struggle a bit more than they did last season if they don't bring in decent backup for Fernandinho. He's 33 and can't be expected to play the same amount of games again this season.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Bea Nanner posted:

he played in the hole behind the striker and was really good at holding the ball and distributing it, but really bad at actually scoring goals. i liked him.
My memory can't be that bad, he played on the right didn't he. My memory is singularly of him dribbling past left-backs easily and doing nothing else

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Hleb was left side in the Pires role, he just didn't score goals

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Flamingo was a useful utility player for most of his time at Arsenal, then he had a breakthrough season and left.

Hleb was a nice player. Arsenal fans tend to overrate him in hindsight and really forget how much he epitomized arsenal trying to walk it in to the net in the late 00’s. Like others have said, he had insane close control but little end product. It was a bummer when he left, but then it was interesting to see his career totally fall apart.

E: Hleb also left his hotel to discuss a transfer with Inter when Arsenal were in Milan for a CL tie with AC Milan, and Hleb said he was “getting ice cream” or something equally unbelievable.

Hleb seemed to have glue on his boot when he was dribbling, kinda like Messi, but wasn't a finisher. I was disappointed when he left, had a good thing going with Fabregas and Rossicky.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Hleb also said in an interview leaving Arsenal was the worst decision he ever made.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i definitely trust this

https://twitter.com/SunSport/status/1020789266673217536

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

this will never happen, rafa must walk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Hasn’t that man been through enough already?

• Locked thread