Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
So, you are saying, that Marvel is reacting to social influencer Cernovich and his power, not the content?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i'm saying they are reacting to manufactured outrage by a rape apologist who likes to accuse 'liberals' and 'hollywood elites' of being child-fuckers. historically, whether or not these claims have any basis on reality gas never really mattered.

they're obviously reacting to the 'contents' of the jokes, but i am fairly positive a lot of the 'outrage' is coming from people who do not care beyond the fact they have the opportunity to 'expose' an 'sjw'.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Sometimes I like to be inside and sometimes I like to be outside. I also like it when it feels good. I’m a complicated fellow. I also love to laugh.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
"people from a fantasy world reacting to Japanese pub food as if it's the greatest thing they've ever tasted" is the best genre of animation

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Ridley Scott is the greatest director alive, and it has nothing to do with Alien or Blade Runner, those are pretty low on his accomplishments list imho.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Yeah, if this were an Al Franken deal where people were slowly coming out of the woodwork to accuse Gunn of an actual crime, I'd say it was warranted, but holy poo poo dumb decade-old tweets are a stupid thing to get up in arms about, especially when the person who made them stopped, apologized, and went on to be pretty cool on the whole.

Maybe it's my liberal self-loathing talking but as much as I want to hold people to a higher standard, it's hard for me to care about something this minor when the right has no problem keeping actual pedophiles, rapists and abusers around.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Being outside when it's cold, think -15 Fahrenheit, is a lot better than when it's hot, because you don't get sweaty and can just warm up once inside without needing to shower. Assuming you don't get actual frost bite or hypothermia ofc.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

doverhog posted:

Being outside when it's cold, think -15 Fahrenheit, is a lot better than when it's hot, because you don't get sweaty and can just warm up once inside without needing to shower.

if you are outside when it's that cold, you will die.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I live in Finland and have been many times. :confuoot: Well not that many, but -4 happens often enough.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

doverhog posted:

I live in Finland and have been many times. :confuoot: Well not that many, but -4 happens often enough.

Yeah, and I'm betting you were wearing special clothes made to extend the time you could stay alive in that cold.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeah, and I'm betting you were wearing special clothes made to extend the time you could stay alive in that cold.

Uh, yes? Did I imply somewhere that was not the case?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Snow haze, white as bone. Wow that thought got dark

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

doverhog posted:

Uh, yes? Did I imply somewhere that was not the case?

guy goodbody seems to be being very nonsensical today. I'm still waiting to find out what my planning has to do with the weather in germany.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

yeah I eat rear end posted:

guy goodbody seems to be being very nonsensical today. I'm still waiting to find out what my planning has to do with the weather in germany.

You weren't expecting it to be hot in the summer, so none of you have air conditioners.

So yeah, I can understand why you're so confused by the concept of planning.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

You weren't expecting it to be hot in the summer, so none of you have air conditioners.

So yeah, I can understand why you're so confused by the concept of planning.

I'm an American, living in germany. I do not have any role in determining the construction of homes in germany. They know it gets hot here, it is one of the hottest regions in europe. They still choose not to air condition homes because electricity is a lot more expensive here. I have nothing to do with this decision.

What exactly are you expecting me to do? Take control of the German government and use my new dictatorial powers to install an air conditioning unit in every house?

What are you even trying to say?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The people having barbecues in this weather are insane

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
remember the last time someone got fired over tweeting (some rear end in a top hat from some lovely MMO team) and everyone was all NoOo, I dont like it when people get fired over tweets~!

wonder if they still hold that opinion in this situation

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

I'm an American, living in germany. I do not have any role in determining the construction of homes in germany. They know it gets hot here, it is one of the hottest regions in europe. They still choose not to air condition homes because electricity is a lot more expensive here. I have nothing to do with this decision.

What exactly are you expecting me to do? Take control of the German government and use my new dictatorial powers to install an air conditioning unit in every house?

oh poo poo, I forgot, nothing is ever your fault

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Are window/standalone air conditioners not a thing, or are they just too expensive a thing?

(They are definitely expensive to run. Worth the price, in the end, but I have to remind myself of that regularly every month when my electric bill comes due.)

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007
I feel like basically no one should be fired for the stupid poo poo they say on their private twitter accounts (unless its like, actually illicit/illegal stuff) but most of society has gone down the road of marking every word that anyone has ever said for use later on just in case they have a grudge to settle.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

docbeard posted:

Are window/standalone air conditioners not a thing, or are they just too expensive a thing?

(They are definitely expensive to run. Worth the price, in the end, but I have to remind myself of that regularly every month when my electric bill comes due.)

European windows aren't suited for window units. They open out or tilt out, you can't open it vertically to put a window unit in.

Guy Goodbody posted:

oh poo poo, I forgot, nothing is ever your fault

sorry for not being able to control the weather? What crawled up your rear end today?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Spinning Robo posted:

I feel like basically no one should be fired for the stupid poo poo they say on their private twitter accounts (unless its like, actually illicit/illegal stuff) but most of society has gone down the road of marking every word that anyone has ever said for use later on just in case they have a grudge to settle.

If Gunn endorsed rape, fire him. If he made a crude joke, do not fire him. Seems simple enough.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

docbeard posted:

There are some mini-swampcooler type things that I was interested in but the reviews say they are trash. Like one that got heavily advertised had a 1.2/5 star average out of thousands of reviews. If you spent a few grand you could probably get something that could work but your electric bill would be staggering.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

How are you liking Germany overall? Drink a lot of beer? Eat a lot of rear end?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Guy Goodbody posted:

if you are outside when it's that cold, you will die.

Depends on what you're wearing and how long you're out in it. I've walked dozens of blocks in -20 degree weather, and while it was absolutely miserable it didn't kill me. I forget how cold it got during the last Chicago polar vortex (I think we were at something ridiculous like -50 with the wind chill), but I do recall it being physically painful to breathe even with a bunch of scarves in front of my face. Still made the mile long walk home from the dentist though. Mentholated freshly cleaned teeth with that level of cold outside almost made me cry.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Solice Kirsk posted:

Depends on what you're wearing and how long you're out in it. I've walked dozens of blocks in -20 degree weather, and while it was absolutely miserable it didn't kill me. I forget how cold it got during the last Chicago polar vortex (I think we were at something ridiculous like -50 with the wind chill), but I do recall it being physically painful to breathe even with a bunch of scarves in front of my face. Still made the mile long walk home from the dentist though. Mentholated freshly cleaned teeth with that level of cold outside almost made me cry.

Exactly, when it is that cold you will die, unless you wear the right clothing that extends your lifespan for several hours. and even then, you can't sleep. Sleep in that cold is death!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

doverhog posted:

How are you liking Germany overall? Drink a lot of beer? Eat a lot of rear end?

I only eat rear end after marriage.

I drank enough beer for a lifetime at the second biggest beer festival thing behind oktoberfest in stuttagart, about 8 and a half liters in 4 hours (the half was from when I drunkenly grabbed the girl next to me's mug thinking she wouldn't even notice [she did and was pissed]).

Overall Germany is great, but they don't pay for poo poo (i took a more senior position here from my previous switzerland job and make 30% of what I made a 3 hour train way away). Switzerland is superior in every way imaginable, until you get over to the french side by geneva. Zurich is the greatest city in the world.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 23:02 on Jul 21, 2018

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Guy Goodbody posted:

Exactly, when it is that cold you will die, unless you wear the right clothing that extends your lifespan for several hours. and even then, you can't sleep. Sleep in that cold is death!

Yes, that is what someone who lives here knows instinctually. During winter you must have and seek shelter.

On Germany, you don't need to go to beer tent. You can buy all sorts of cool doppelbocks and such everywhere, enjoy it.

Congratulations, it sounds like you know what you want, a high paying job in Zurich. Many struggle with that question.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

doverhog posted:

Congratulations, it sounds like you know what you want, a high paying job in Zurich. Many struggle with that question.

The only way to get a job like that unfortunately is to promise to leave within 2-5 years. If you want to stay longer it gets way more complicated.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

doverhog posted:

Cernovich is irrelevant, the issue is the content of the actual jokes and how Marvel reacts to that, or should be anyway.

imuo the real lesson from the gunn debacle is that whenever you're posting from a verified social media account that you personally directly linked to your identity you should always treat every post like you're in front of a live studio audience whose comments are also getting taped for some late night talk show to be broadcast worldwide later on, i just don't see any other way of looking at using online public platforms like twitter or whatever especially when you're going out of your way to attach your real name to your posts

it doesn't matter if the person who 'digs' up your dirty laundry - from a platform designed to rapidly spread information publicly in a way that also puts it on physical record so it feels odd to call it digging - is some kind of awful wannabe political deacon, a jaded ex looking for petty revenge, an ambitious colleague who wants to take your job by ratting you out or someone who legitimately believes that de-normalizing pedophilia jokes will make the world a better place the point is it's unwise to treat verified social media accounts like you used to be able to treat the internet back when it was a lot more anonymous when the whole point of tying your real ID to an account voluntarily is that you want the whole world to know that it's really you making those posts and so you should be prepared for dealing with the reactions of the public, which possibly includes your future employers, to stuff you bothered to give your personal seal of approval to

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Normally I’d be first to say Gunn deserved it but he made Slither so I’m gonna let a lot slide, up to and including brutally murdering people.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

hard counter posted:

imuo the real lesson from the gunn debacle is that whenever you're posting from a verified social media account that you personally directly linked to your identity you should always treat every post like you're in front of a live studio audience whose comments are also getting taped for some late night talk show to be broadcast worldwide later on, i just don't see any other way of looking at using online public platforms like twitter or whatever especially when you're going out of your way to attach your real name to your posts

it doesn't matter if the person who 'digs' up your dirty laundry - from a platform designed to rapidly spread information publicly in a way that also puts it on physical record so it feels odd to call it digging - is some kind of awful wannabe political deacon, a jaded ex looking for petty revenge, an ambitious colleague who wants to take your job by ratting you out or someone who legitimately believes that de-normalizing pedophilia jokes will make the world a better place the point is it's unwise to treat verified social media accounts like you used to be able to treat the internet back when it was a lot more anonymous when the whole point of tying your real ID to an account voluntarily is that you want the whole world to know that it's really you making those posts and so you should be prepared for dealing with the reactions of the public, which possibly includes your future employers, to stuff you bothered to give your personal seal of approval to

Yes. However you should also remember that what you said under an alias, like doverhog, will also be dug up by hackers or just regular internet detectives. Therefore, do not seek publicity. Not fame, nor public office.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Post Ironic Cereal posted:

Yeah, if this were an Al Franken deal where people were slowly coming out of the woodwork to accuse Gunn of an actual crime, I'd say it was warranted, but holy poo poo dumb decade-old tweets are a stupid thing to get up in arms about, especially when the person who made them stopped, apologized, and went on to be pretty cool on the whole.

Maybe it's my liberal self-loathing talking but as much as I want to hold people to a higher standard, it's hard for me to care about something this minor when the right has no problem keeping actual pedophiles, rapists and abusers around.

This but unironically cereal

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I've looked into it some more and it appears that Disney bowed down to money, and political pressure from the Trump pedophile rapist republican side. Shame on Disney and Marvel.

*remember, Trump is a rapist, and probably a pedophile, ask him about his friend Jeffrey Epstein.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

I don't know why anyone would ever expect a giant corporation to ever not bow down to money

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

doverhog posted:

I've looked into it some more and it appears that Disney bowed down to money, and political pressure from the Trump pedophile rapist republican side. Shame on Disney and Marvel.

*remember, Trump is a rapist, and probably a pedophile, ask him about his friend Jeffrey Epstein.

“No? poo poo!”

-Sherlock

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I guess I just hoped angels like Soros had more money? :confuoot:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

doverhog posted:

Yes. However you should also remember that what you said under an alias, like doverhog, will also be dug up by hackers or just regular internet detectives. Therefore, do not seek publicity. Not fame, nor public office.

i don't know, right now to me it's less the possible digging up of ancient gamefaqs forums posts with saucy content that are actually damaging people and more that some people are being caught off guard by the fact that social media platforms designed to communicate the things you say on a massive scale actually did communicate the things you said on a massive scale like it was some kind of surprise twist and nobody had to do any meticulous detective work to tie a post to an identity because that information was freely volunteered to begin with

it's probably safest to acknowledge that some online spaces are definitely actually super public by design even tho parts of it misleadingly feel like intimate conversations between friends/people who know each other and that using your actual name isn't a decision you should make casually even tho almost everyone plugs in their data without thinking too hard when they make a facebook account or whatever

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

doverhog posted:

I guess I just hoped angels like Soros had more money? :confuoot:

Although what could be more supervillain caricature than Soros not intervening because Gunn had outlived his usefulness?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
The thing about the whole Gunn thing is being punished for 9 year old tweets is ridiculous but not as ridiculous as anyone caring about guardians of the galaxy