Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

there wolf posted:

I'm currently looking for a house that's at or under 1000sqft and they pretty much don't exist anymore. Everything that was that size has been expanded in some way so I've had to settle for probably getting one more bedroom that I need at the least.

Come to the england, we still have plenty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

there wolf posted:

I'm currently looking for a house that's at or under 1000sqft and they pretty much don't exist anymore. Everything that was that size has been expanded in some way so I've had to settle for probably getting one more bedroom that I need at the least.

Whee are you looking to live?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Jaded Burnout posted:

Come to the england, we still have plenty.

Nah, y'all went all Brexity and now I'm not sure you aren't just five years away from where we are in the US right now.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Whee are you looking to live?

ATL. Planned on taking some pictures of the funnier stuff for the thread later this week.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

TheMadMilkman posted:

Speaking of how houses end up so stupidly big, one of the real problems is that new construction seems to make absolutely piss poor use of space. My grandparents’ 1950s tract home didn’t have a wasted inch.

It probably also had a lot of pretty small and segregated rooms though.

I went from a 1200 square foot 3 BR/2 BA to a 2000 square foot 3 BR/2.5 BA to a 2700 square foot 3 BR/2.5 BA and even though the latter two had some wasted space I definitely appreciated the extra room. I like having a large dedicated computer room and also a home theater room though.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

veiled boner fuel posted:

I'd probably agree with the "or more" part but nearly every run of the mill suburban tract house has a three car garage here. I've seen 1200 square foot ranches with 3 car garages (which is probably its own problem, but it isn't a mcmansion).

The thing I hate is they make the garages just large enough to technically fit three cars but absolutely nothing else. I'm sure we could actually get three cars in our garage but there wouldn't even be enough room leftover for the garbage/recycling bins and the lawn mower.

Makes sense if you have a lot of adults living together! When I lived at my parents still, so did all of my siblings, and three of us had cars. My parents also both had cars. So that's five cars for a six person family, because no one is on the same schedule or they have a long commute and the alternative transit in my hometown is non-existent.

...we didn't use the garage, though. We built an extra parking spot in the backyard but no one ever parked their car in the garage. I think my dad keeps his motorcycles in there but that's it.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Yeah I think practically every house should have a three car garage, that's why I think the McMansion guy is off base in that particular assessment. At the very least you're gonna need two stalls plus a third for random garage poo poo. Especially since it seems like houses have such poo poo storage these days because (where I live) they either don't have a basement or they finish off 99% of the basement to increase the square footage and therefore price.

You'd think in the age of giant rear end trucks and minimal interior storage, builders would figure out that if they spend a tiny bit more making the garage 4' wider and 2' deeper people would really appreciate it, but I guess not.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Garages are cool.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

A three car garage: Christmas decorations, Halloween decorations, baby toys.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Put $800 of camping equipment and holiday decorations in your garage and park $30k worth of cars on the street

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

How can a house have 2500+ square feet and not have a store room? Store room is way better than the garage for storing Christmas ornaments and stuff, because it doesn't get so much dust and street grunge.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Uhh ew gross who would want a whole room full of industrial shelving and neatly labeled storage containers?.?!!

(it's me)

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Because a room full of shelves laden with totes isn't nearly ostentatious enough to really show off how much more money you have than the rest of your friends and family!!!

How will they ever know how much better a person you are if you don't have a breakfast bar, a kitchen table, a formal dining room, and an outdoor patio kitchen?!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

hailthefish posted:

Because a room full of shelves laden with totes isn't nearly ostentatious enough to really show off how much more money you have than the rest of your friends and family!!!

How will they ever know how much better a person you are if you don't have a breakfast bar, a kitchen table, a formal dining room, and an outdoor patio kitchen?!

...which are piled with boxes because you have nowhere else to put them aside from The Rooms That Nobody Ever Goes In.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

there wolf posted:

I am into month two of a 1950 900 sqft home and I have to say it's pretty great. Look for homes close to downtown since that is where the older homes will be. The catch there is that because of their location they're going to be relatively expensive for what they are. If you are looking for one in a more reasonably priced (aka poorer) neighborhood, you're going to see lots of converted garages and half-assed additions because people had to make the home they had work for their larger and/or extended family. I was lucky and managed to find a mostly unmolested home, so they're out there.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

veiled boner fuel posted:

Yeah I think practically every house should have a three car garage, that's why I think the McMansion guy is off base in that particular assessment. At the very least you're gonna need two stalls plus a third for random garage poo poo. Especially since it seems like houses have such poo poo storage these days because (where I live) they either don't have a basement or they finish off 99% of the basement to increase the square footage and therefore price.

You'd think in the age of giant rear end trucks and minimal interior storage, builders would figure out that if they spend a tiny bit more making the garage 4' wider and 2' deeper people would really appreciate it, but I guess not.

McMansion Hell is run by a woman, and I hate to break it to you, but a three-car garage is a pretty good sign you're looking at a Mcmansion. That's not normal for track housing and you must be living somewhere in outer-suburbia for the lots to be big enough to accommodate that much space dedicated to car storage.

SpartanIvy posted:

I am into month two of a 1950 900 sqft home and I have to say it's pretty great. Look for homes close to downtown since that is where the older homes will be. The catch there is that because of their location they're going to be relatively expensive for what they are. If you are looking for one in a more reasonably priced (aka poorer) neighborhood, you're going to see lots of converted garages and half-assed additions because people had to make the home they had work for their larger and/or extended family. I was lucky and managed to find a mostly unmolested home, so they're out there.

Oh you sweet, summer child. Of the row houses in the old streetcar neighborhoods, there are maybe a handful that haven't been added onto yet, either over time or recently by flippers hoping to put another $1-200,000 on the price tag for it. Anything farther out, and that includes that old city centers of towns absorbed into the greater metropolis, starts at 1,200sqft, and again flippers have expanded a lot of those with attic apartments or tumorous bedroom additions. It's not that I don't know where to look; the house I want just isn't in great supply right now.

there wolf fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 22, 2018

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
quote is not edit

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

there wolf posted:

McMansion Hell is run by a woman, and I hate to break it to you, but a three-car garage is a pretty good sign you're looking at a Mcmansion. That's not normal for track housing and you must be living somewhere in outer-suburbia for the lots to be big enough to accommodate that much space dedicated to car storage.

Oh you sweet, summer child. Of the row houses in the old streetcar neighborhoods, there are maybe a handful that haven't been added onto yet, either over time or recently by flippers hoping to put another $1-200,000 on the price tag for it. Anything farther out, and that includes that old city centers of towns absorbed into the greater metropolis, starts at 1,200sqft, and again flippers have expanded a lot of those with attic apartments or tumorous bedroom additions. It's not that I don't know where to look; the house I want just isn't in great supply right now.

Yeah that sucks. Flippers are the bane of my existence. I looked at so many homes that you could tell they just did the absolute worst and cheapest work they could without any regard for longevity or being up to code. What boggles my mind even more is that people are buying them up as fast as they're listed. :shrug:

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

SpartanIvy posted:

Yeah that sucks. Flippers are the bane of my existence. I looked at so many homes that you could tell they just did the absolute worst and cheapest work they could without any regard for longevity or being up to code. What boggles my mind even more is that people are buying them up as fast as they're listed. :shrug:

I used to like grey as a neutral color, but holy gently caress am I burnt out on it now. It's everywhere. Also the ridiculous lengths places go to preserve the old fireplace while getting that open floor plan. Yeas I would like three feet or space on either side of a giant fireplace that doesn't even work anymore, right in the middle of my living-dining area.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

there wolf posted:

I used to like grey as a neutral color, but holy gently caress am I burnt out on it now. It's everywhere. Also the ridiculous lengths places go to preserve the old fireplace while getting that open floor plan. Yeas I would like three feet or space on either side of a giant fireplace that doesn't even work anymore, right in the middle of my living-dining area.

I think it's the same mindset that leads to McMansions. People get it in their head that X is good, and as long as X is checked off on the list of features it's a plus regardless of condition or implementation.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

canyoneer posted:

Put $800 of camping equipment and holiday decorations in your garage and park $30k worth of cars on the street
Disclaimer: Works best if you live somewhere that doesn't get snow in the winter.

I won't say nobody does that up here, but it's a lot rarer since one of the biggest benefits of a garage is not having to scrape snow and ice off your car for a quarter of the year.

SpartanIvy posted:

I think it's the same mindset that leads to McMansions. People get it in their head that X is good, and as long as X is checked off on the list of features it's a plus regardless of condition or implementation.
Plus people look at resale value more than "do I, personally, like this?", which leads to a lot of cargo culting in the name of having a good sale price years from now.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
That I'll never get, since I intend my next move to be into a vase that someone occasionally glances at awkwardly to wonder where I asked my remains to be spread.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

SpartanIvy posted:

Same, my house is from 1955, and mostly original. $5k to replace all the corroded brass fixtures and other plumbing issues, and it’s ready for another 60 years.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

My house is chopped up from different centuries. The original house is from the mid 1700s, the middle of the house the 1800s, the back of the house 1940s, and my master bath from 2004.

Unsurprisingly the quality of the work goes in that reverse order (they seriously did the master bath plumbing without pvc glue) and I'm awaiting the day I hear we have to take the entire kitchen and bath down (floor is not level and is likely sitting on dirt).

I do wish I had a big rear end attached garage though to consolidate workshop + yard equipment and not have to deal with cleaning snow off of cars in the winter.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Haifisch posted:

Disclaimer: Works best if you live somewhere that doesn't get snow in the winter.

I won't say nobody does that up here, but it's a lot rarer since one of the biggest benefits of a garage is not having to scrape snow and ice off your car for a quarter of the year.

But then you have to shovel your driveway. :negative:

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Where I live there are many new subdivisions with attached RV garages. Park your tiny house in a house!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

TheManWithNoName posted:

Where I live there are many new subdivisions with attached RV garages. Park your tiny house in a house!

I guess if you really love RVing it could make sense. Those things are expensive to own, and keeping it out of the weather would prolong it's life and reduce maintenance. It would be a little less ugly than a carport thing.

I mean, very few people have a good use case for owning an RV. But whatever, follow your bliss.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

TheManWithNoName posted:

Some waterfront houses have those for boat storage. I’ve never seen them taller than the rest of the house though, that looks hilarious.

Facebook Aunt posted:

I mean, very few people have a good use case for owning an RV. But whatever, follow your bliss.

RVs devalue like crazy, even more than super-luxe executive cars that aren’t sporty or covetable (ie, the cars mechanics drive). Jalopnik had an article a few months ago that broke down how the ultimate #vanlife superhack move is to buy a gently used ~10 year old RV for under $15k.

The only real downside there is fuel economy and maybe the fact that you can’t just park them anywhere if they’re over a certain size.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 22, 2018

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Facebook Aunt posted:

But then you have to shovel your driveway. :negative:

... which is much, much nicer than shoveling out your car on the street and having someone take it immediately after you leave. Given how my driveway is set up, I can clear 3000 square feet of eight inches of dry snow in under twenty minutes, too, and not have to figure out where to pile it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
That would be sweet if you were a trucker.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Seriously considering pulling the trigger on some decorative words here

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Bad Munki posted:

Ugh. The only thing worse than decorative text is surface-level reference nerdy decorative text.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Bad Munki posted:

this is pretty awful.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Ugh. The only thing worse than decorative text is surface-level reference nerdy decorative text.

Oh poo poo, I totally forgot that it was a quote, actually. :/

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

Bonus third pillow that says "but..." just to spice things up

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Some waterfront houses have those for boat storage. I’ve never seen them taller than the rest of the house though, that looks hilarious.

RVs devalue like crazy, even more than super-luxe executive cars that aren’t sporty or covetable (ie, the cars mechanics drive). Jalopnik had an article a few months ago that broke down how the ultimate #vanlife superhack move is to buy a gently used ~10 year old RV for under $15k.

The only real downside there is fuel economy and maybe the fact that you can’t just park them anywhere if they’re over a certain size.

Large class A's and C's devalue like crazy, but small C's, B's and B+'s are holding value pretty well. I can't find a good B' s younger then 15 years old for less then 20 grand. And if you can find any, tell me where they are so I can buy them.

Can't say that for many other 15 year old vehicles.

I did find a nice 1995 rialta in great shape for 13k, verrry tempting.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Deviant posted:

this is pretty awful.

I know.

Everywhere we go, people recommend ugly decorative text signs to my girlfriend. The most recent was the library of all places. We were standing there and the librarian pointed out this ugly sign using as many fonts as there were words saying things like "Live. Read. Learn. Laugh. Books." or something, and said there was someone in the village who makes them. Oh, just as I wrote this I realized why she made an effort to point them out - we were taking out books on interior decorating for small spaces. I do my best to stop her from buying every time I see one, but I have a feeling our small apartment is going to have some words on it somewhere.

On topic of McMansions - growing up, my uncles all had giant houses. They're mostly teachers or business owners with high paying jobs. My mom never complained too often about anything, but once in a while around the holidays she would get sad about not having these giant houses that could comfortably fit these big gatherings. Now those houses with four bedrooms, two furnished living rooms, three bathrooms, giant kitchens, two dining rooms (you know, one of those dining rooms where the kids were never allowed in), etc. are lived in by one or two adults. I can't imagine having that much space for me alone or me and my wife. My point is, when I was a kid, having a giant house was my dream. Now it's to have a smallish cozy house where I can make great use of the space. I'd rather go to someone else's house for Thanksgiving than have a giant dining room that's unused 362 days out of the year.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Facebook Aunt posted:

Wait, are they like exercise equipment where people will buy them and never actually use them? Because they seem pretty practical for people who do a lot of traveling and camping out.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

LifeLynx posted:

On topic of McMansions - growing up, my uncles all had giant houses. They're mostly teachers or business owners with high paying jobs.

Where do you live that teachers are actually paid well?

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

there wolf posted:

Wait, are they like exercise equipment where people will buy them and never actually use them? Because they seem pretty practical for people who do a lot of traveling and camping out.

Really? The only place you can travel with an RV are places set up to host them - specialty RV campgrounds (which are basically parking lots) or Walmart parking lots. They require specialty hookups for plumbing and electricity, which to me kind of defeats the point of camping. Perhaps there's some aspect of the lifestyle that eludes me, but I would much rather have a hatchback and a tent, and be able to camp anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

vonnegutt posted:

Really? The only place you can travel with an RV are places set up to host them - specialty RV campgrounds (which are basically parking lots) or Walmart parking lots. They require specialty hookups for plumbing and electricity, which to me kind of defeats the point of camping. Perhaps there's some aspect of the lifestyle that eludes me, but I would much rather have a hatchback and a tent, and be able to camp anywhere.

I mean I agree with you, but you definitely don’t have to be hooked up to water and electric in a RV while you’re camping. At some point you will need to dump the toilet and get more water though.