Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The game is made by French people, iirc.

It was designed, developed and produced by a multicultural team of various religious faiths and beliefs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich

Don Gato posted:

I might have mentioned it before, but the Simpsons making a joke of how the Trump presidency left America bankrupt hits too close to home.

Also his home village gets driven off their land/massacred after the game. And a lot of his characterization beyond "angry muscle man" was cut from the game so the guy gets screwed over from all sides.

Wasn't that Simpsons joke a redub after the election?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Safeword posted:

Wasn't that Simpsons joke a redub after the election?

No, it aired that way orignally

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Also Lisa was running against Chastity Bono so I guess be on the lookout for that to happen.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The game is made by French people, iirc.

Pretty sure it was Ubisoft Montreal. So French Canadians

(Which is why the Mohawk Nation actually had a large role. They were consulted deeply. Also Conner's Mom is Tanis from Letterkenny)

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
All this talk about 3 just makes me feel better about Origins. Bayek is revenge motivated as much as Connor, but he still is an actual human being with emotions, he goes out to drink with his friends(And get in drunken brawls with them), plays with kids, is empathetic with people even if they annoy him, actually smiles(which is a great smile btw)

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Pretty sure it was Ubisoft Montreal. So French Canadians

(Which is why the Mohawk Nation actually had a large role. They were consulted deeply. Also Conner's Mom is Tanis from Letterkenny)

Holy poo poo, that just made my day, Letterkenny is amazing.

Not enough to make me want to bust out that game again tho.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It was designed, developed and produced by a multicultural team of various religious faiths and beliefs.

I had to laugh when they started including this disclaimer with AC2 and every other game. Better make sure those Renaissance Italians don't get mad we put them in a game!

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

WampaLord posted:

I had to laugh when they started including this disclaimer with AC2 and every other game. Better make sure those Renaissance Italians don't get mad we put them in a game!

You gotta take some precautions when your game ends with the protagonist in a fistfight with the Pope

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Bamabalacha posted:

Holy poo poo, that just made my day, Letterkenny is amazing.

Not enough to make me want to bust out that game again tho.

I wish that she was the protagonist. The way she calls out Connor's dad on his bullshit is pretty great.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Samuringa posted:

You gotta take some precautions when your game ends with the protagonist in a fistfight with the Pope

That started with the first game, which depicted the crusades. Which can get a bit dicey.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

WampaLord posted:

I think I remember it from the first one too. You know, the one where you play a Muslim assassin that goes to Jerusalem and stabs Christians in the neck that was released in America.

Tbh I’m surprised Fox News didn’t make a bigger deal about that.

E: yeah, it’s there in the pc version at least.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Fox News made a big deal of the AC3 DLC where George Washington goes mad with power and becomes a dictator.

It's also a much better story than the main game.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.
SNL has some periods of greatness and others that are just garbage, but the early 80s were perhaps the absolute worst, with main cash cow Eddie Murphy branching out and Lorne Michaels gone at the time. Nobody has really been able to reign in the show like Michaels has and the times that he has left the show were probably the absolute worst; there was talent during that time but they were at the beginning of their careers with absolutely no direction. Drew Barrymore first hosted when she was only seven, and they certainly had no idea how to deal with or write for someone so young (she still has a record for youngest host). So all they had to go on was her age.....and the fact that she was a Barrymore. Looking back at Drew's terrible home life and substance abuse, which started only a year or two after this aired (because having a mother that doesn't care what you do at Studio 54 as long as she can use you to get in will do it!), has made this even worse than it would have normally been. For example, the cold opening has her say, "Milk? I'm a Barrymore! Get me a drink and make it a double!"

Luckily for everyone involved (except, it turns out, for one) most of the show's time was taken up by the issue of whether or not to vote Andy Kaufman off of the show permanently. After NBC was just about to fire him for good because of antics on and off the show they saw as a liability, he managed to convince them to let the home audience choose with the full expectation that they would choose to keep him on and show NBC that he was profitable. He had always managed to get away with everything before. The audience voted him off. This devastated Andy. He could simply not see what NBC figured and could now prove: that he had finally alienated too many people. Before Andy could retool his damaged career completely, he died of lung cancer in 1984.

SNL just has a lot of very awkward, painful moments (some obvious at the time and some known with hindsight) mainly because it's live and it's been on with lots of different cast members, hosts and writers for forty years. For those interested, particularly the behind-the-scenes moments, the book Live From New York! is a must. Chevy Chase has always been a huge rear end in a top hat but fame just made it worse.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

bean_shadow posted:

Luckily for everyone involved (except, it turns out, for one) most of the show's time was taken up by the issue of whether or not to vote Andy Kaufman off of the show permanently. After NBC was just about to fire him for good because of antics on and off the show they saw as a liability, he managed to convince them to let the home audience choose with the full expectation that they would choose to keep him on and show NBC that he was profitable. He had always managed to get away with everything before. The audience voted him off. This devastated Andy. He could simply not see what NBC figured and could now prove: that he had finally alienated too many people. Before Andy could retool his damaged career completely, he died of lung cancer in 1984.

Wow, I never heard of this before. That’s crazy! In this clip I found, Eddie Murphy wants Andy to stay and he seems genuinely surpised that the crowd is against him.

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/election-ii/n9024

Eddie: “Now the phone company is going to charge you 50 cents for each call but... don’t you think Andy Kaufman is worth more than 50 cents?”
Audience: “No way!
Eddie: :/

What did Kaufman do, anyway? The people on the street allude to some crack about wrestling women maybe? Perhaps a mysoginistic joke that would have flown a few years before, but not anymore?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

fruit on the bottom posted:

I think I remember it from the first one too. You know, the one where you play a Muslim assassin that goes to Jerusalem and stabs Christians in the neck that was released in America.

No, that's my whole point. I get why they included it in the first game, but then they had to keep doing it even though portraying Renaissance Italy isn't controversial in any way.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

bean_shadow posted:

SNL has some periods of greatness and others that are just garbage, but the early 80s were perhaps the absolute worst, with main cash cow Eddie Murphy branching out and Lorne Michaels gone at the time. Nobody has really been able to reign in the show like Michaels has and the times that he has left the show were probably the absolute worst; there was talent during that time but they were at the beginning of their careers with absolutely no direction. Drew Barrymore first hosted when she was only seven, and they certainly had no idea how to deal with or write for someone so young (she still has a record for youngest host). So all they had to go on was her age.....and the fact that she was a Barrymore. Looking back at Drew's terrible home life and substance abuse, which started only a year or two after this aired (because having a mother that doesn't care what you do at Studio 54 as long as she can use you to get in will do it!), has made this even worse than it would have normally been. For example, the cold opening has her say, "Milk? I'm a Barrymore! Get me a drink and make it a double!"

SNL just has a lot of very awkward, painful moments (some obvious at the time and some known with hindsight) mainly because it's live and it's been on with lots of different cast members, hosts and writers for forty years. For those interested, particularly the behind-the-scenes moments, the book Live From New York! is a must. Chevy Chase has always been a huge rear end in a top hat but fame just made it worse.

Yeah, that was a bad bad season. Pretty sure 1994 was the worst season though. Which is ironic because it had some of the best cast members. There were just too many of them and I guess the writing didn't click.

https://uproxx.com/tv/worst-snl-seasons/2/

As the season rolled on, and negative reviews poured in, it became clear that big changes were going to be made. The show would reference the impending shake-up with The Polar Bear Sketch, the final skit of of the 1994-95 season. In this sketch, a series of cast members jumps into a cage with a Polar Bear, quickly ending their life in the process. Mohr, Sandler, Farley, and Tim Meadows all jump in, with Norm Macdonald being the last one standing. Of course, Meadows would end up returning the next season, and would eventually stay with the cast until 2000. At the time, however, no one was safe.

Also I think Chevy Chase was rich before he got into comedy so you can imagine how unsufferable he was. The fucker's first name is Cornelius.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Ariong posted:

What did Kaufman do, anyway? The people on the street allude to some crack about wrestling women maybe? Perhaps a mysoginistic joke that would have flown a few years before, but not anymore?
They're referring to the time when Andy had a feud with pro wrestler Jerry "The King" Lawler and Andy went full into a wrestling heel persona as an rear end in a top hat that wrestles women twice his size.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uQlB99WCuk

Accordion Man has a new favorite as of 19:28 on Jul 21, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bean_shadow posted:

I enjoy the story about how he came back to host the show and everybody hated him, so Bill Murray decided to fight him, and as they were being separated, spat at him, "Medium talent!" I think that's great. It's such a great put-down.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

fruit on the bottom posted:

He wasn't really a muslim though and the templars weren't really christians. One of the antagonist literally goes insane because he realizes that religion is a lie.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Alhazred posted:

He wasn't really a muslim though and the templars weren't really christians. One of the antagonist literally goes insane because he realizes that religion is a lie.

When did facts ever get in the way of a good media outrage? The elevator pitch is "You play an assassin killing crusaders in Jerusalem", I can completely 100% understand them getting in ahead of that with their disclaimer. Turns out there wasnt terribly much outrage, but for all making the disclaimer cost them I think it was a reasonable precaution.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

SiKboy posted:

When did facts ever get in the way of a good media outrage? The elevator pitch is "You play an assassin killing crusaders in Jerusalem", I can completely 100% understand them getting in ahead of that with their disclaimer. Turns out there wasnt terribly much outrage, but for all making the disclaimer cost them I think it was a reasonable precaution.

And honestly, that disclaimer is kinda correct. If you ever see the credits of a recent Ubisoft game, you'll see that they're probably covering every ethnicity by cramming tens of thousands of people in there. Black Flag's credits were over 30 minutes long.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

cant cook creole bream posted:

And honestly, that disclaimer is kinda correct. If you ever see the credits of a recent Ubisoft game, you'll see that they're probably covering every ethnicity by cramming tens of thousands of people in there. Black Flag's credits were over 30 minutes long.

AAA games are projects the size of blockbuster movies these days, are you surprised the credits are gigantic?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Ugly In The Morning posted:

AAA games are projects the size of blockbuster movies these days, are you surprised the credits are gigantic?

Not really. But the Ubisoft games are particularly notorious for that. Listing the names of everyone involved with each of their seven(?) studios kinda does that.

And I'd argue that such games are even bigger than blockbuster movies. Some games have continuous cutscenes, which have the length of feature length movies after all.

cant cook creole bream has a new favorite as of 23:26 on Jul 21, 2018

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

Ariong posted:

I don’t think it was any one specific thing. Kaufman was unparalleled in his ability to make the audience really, really uncomfortable. Eventually people gave up waiting for him to let them in on the joke.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

WampaLord posted:

No, that's my whole point. I get why they included it in the first game, but then they had to keep doing it even though portraying Renaissance Italy isn't controversial in any way.

As stated 2 ends with you fist fighting the pope so its not a stretch to imagine why people might take umbrage with that (even if it was one of the "bad" popes)

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Ariong posted:

Wow, I never heard of this before. That’s crazy! In this clip I found, Eddie Murphy wants Andy to stay and he seems genuinely surpised that the crowd is against him.

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/election-ii/n9024

Eddie: “Now the phone company is going to charge you 50 cents for each call but... don’t you think Andy Kaufman is worth more than 50 cents?”
Audience: “No way!
Eddie: :/

I have been having trouble finding a definitive answer but I'm sure the fact that Lorne Michaels wasn't in charge and Dick Ebersol found Kaufman to be too loose a cannon and simply disliked him. Plus what Lazlo Nibbler said about the audience just becoming too exhausted from his "jokes". From a SNL Wiki:

quote:

His most infamous and controversial act, performed several times on Saturday Night Live, was his "Women's Wrestling Champion" bit, in which he would call on female volunteers from the audience to wrestle him.

He always won, though many times, if not all, the matches were staged. He proclaimed himself "Inter-Gender Wrestling Champion of the World," and once offered $1,000 to any woman who could pin him down.

quote:

Other acts he would do would sing long songs, particularly the childrens' song "A Hundred Bottles of Beer on the Wall", actually counting down every verse and causing the audience to lose patience. When Kaufman got to a low number, such as "8 bottles of beer", he would abruptly stop, causing others to remark to simply finish the song.

quote:

The week following the vote, Kaufman purchased airtime on several local networks to plead with viewers to have him back on the show. The clips were shown on the next SNL, but Kaufman was never invited back.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

RagnarokAngel posted:

As stated 2 ends with you fist fighting the pope so its not a stretch to imagine why people might take umbrage with that (even if it was one of the "bad" popes)

That message is part of the selling point of the game, which is "the setting is very historically accurate." They're emphasizing authenticity.

In the setting, not the story. The story is loving bonkers.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

sweet geek swag posted:

That message is part of the selling point of the game, which is "the setting is very historically accurate." They're emphasizing authenticity.

In the setting, not the story. The story is loving bonkers.

Which is why they wanted to stress it wasnt anti-Catholic propaganda. Thats a bit more of a large group than just "offending renaissance italians"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Isn't that the one that has the giant squid with glowing eyes

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It had a humanoid race that was wiped out before the dinosaurs existed but they just looked like humans, not squids.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Ghost Leviathan posted:

No, that's just the Pope.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Mu Zeta posted:

It had a humanoid race that was wiped out before the dinosaurs existed but they just looked like humans, not squids.

AC2 has an inexplicable and insanely creepy giant squid Easter egg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLOiBZy1ta0

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Calaveron posted:

AC2 has an inexplicable and insanely creepy giant squid Easter egg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLOiBZy1ta0

What an absurdly obscure piece of trivia, I've never heard of this before in any Asscreed conversation.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
TV Episodes that Did Not Age Well: Pages of Assassins Creed chat

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Choco1980 posted:

TV Episodes that Did Not Age Well: Pages of Assassins Creed chat

TV Episodes that Did Not Age Well: Assassin’s Creed Screed Feed. :colbert:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Andy Kaufman is one of my favorite people. He was so weird but so goddamn funny. I guess it's easier to laugh at him reading Great Gatsby to an increasingly irritated crowd of people when you're not in the crowd yourself. I'm pretty sure if I had been in the room when he did the Mighty Mouse song I would have pissed myself laughing though. The wrestling thing was insane, a real life kayfabe that ultimately he was so devoted to that it cost him most of the audience. Nobody knew if it was for real or not, him going on Letterman in a neck brace and having Jerry Lawler throw chairs at him and poo poo. Lawler was in on it the whole time but being a professional he didn't reveal it until years after Kaufman died.

God he deserved a nobel prize or something for the Mighty Mouse bit alone

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
He sounds like a tedious shithead

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
My favorite thing out of that is Jerry lawyer absolutely hating working with Jim Carey during the filming of Man on the Moon because Carey fundamentally misunderstood the relationship between him and Kaufman and tried to method act by actively antagonizing Lawler despite the fact that him and Kaufman were friends in real life. He had a neat recalling of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Wasn’t the whole point of the joke that wrestling is fake? Did 70s people not know that wrestling is fake?