Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

I appreciate you spending the time to do that, tru.

Explain to me worst ship in the game.

All of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoMas
Oct 2, 2013

Man Moth!?

Sarsapariller posted:

Also I am kinda surprised that nobody has mentioned that the Apollo is basically a lazy redesign of the Constellation. I know same manufacturer and all, but it's literally the same ship with the top 2 engines removed and the midsection shortened.

and add $50 on top :smugdog:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

Also I am kinda surprised that nobody has mentioned that the Apollo is basically a lazy redesign of the Constellation. I know same manufacturer and all, but it's literally the same ship with the top 2 engines removed and the midsection shortened.

Clearly you don't know the latest state of the art technique in JPEG development called "Archer Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V" or ACCCV as they call it

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

trucutru posted:

Ok, here is the up-to-date info:

Excellent - thanks for that effort, Trucutru!

So - just to confirm - yellow bars and green checkboxes both mean they're in 3.2?

It should be easy enough to photoshop fu this to layers and make some funny gifs that convey a lot very quickly.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

G0RF posted:

Excellent - thanks for that effort, Trucutru!

So - just to confirm - yellow bars and green checkboxes both mean they're in 3.2?

It should be easy enough to photoshop fu this to layers and make some funny gifs that convey a lot very quickly.

Yes, the greenish/yellow bars to the right of the names and the green checkboxes mean that the ship is flyable.

I just realized that the vulture and some others had the wrong color (this is why I have the red lines crossing the names instead of being to the side, to prevent these errors) so here is an updated image

e: gently caress, the hello kitty bike is actually in the game, fixed.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jul 22, 2018

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

This is a good post.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Spiderdrake posted:

I appreciate you spending the time to do that, tru.

Explain to me worst ship in the game.

The Retaliator is a relic of the time where CIG design philosophy was to sell modular ships that could be customized, before they realized that it was a better idea to sell multiple hyper-specialized variants instead. It was also the first ship that was designed for multicrew fighting action, with multiple turrets.

The interior is a series of claustrophobic corridors, there is nothing for anybody but the pilot to do in the multicrew ship besides manning the turrets, the turrets don't work most of the time (and when they do it doesn't matter because they are located in completely useless locations and don't deal any sort of real damage), it's missing all its modules, the torpedoes often get stuck at launch (and then explode your own ship), if the flying in SC feels like using no-clip then flying a retaliator is like no-clip with a delay, it is slow, has weak armor, and lovely weapons.

It's a complete piece of crap. And ugly to boot.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 22, 2018

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene
Worst ship in the game has got to be the bengal carrier, because they can't even get that many players in an instance which would be required to crew it.

oh wait, in the game... nevermind.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
So I found this at the pawn shop today. Only one dollar and I still feel ripped off.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Bargearse posted:

So I found this at the pawn shop today. Only one dollar and I still feel ripped off.

C-Spam nihilist Nite Crew watched this tonight and it was amazing in it's own specific and stupid ways.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Just had some pizza with my ~soulmate~

What did you have for dinner goons?

Vegetable Tagine made with homemade harissa paste, slice of herby bread and a pile of broccoli.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

skaboomizzy posted:

C-Spam nihilist Nite Crew watched this tonight and it was amazing in it's own specific and stupid ways.

Last time I saw it was years ago on a deteriorating VHS tape. All I remember is the fully clothed sex scene, the space bulldozer, space sonar, rubber mask aliens, an awkward masturbation joke and some surprisingly fun space combat scenes.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

DonKarnage is an anagram of Naked Argon. Figures.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Best part is when Chris Roberts shows up in person to rescue his own main character.

e: Actually I take it back, the bulldozer is just impossible to beat

Spatial fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jul 22, 2018

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

trucutru posted:

Yes, the greenish/yellow bars to the right of the names and the green checkboxes mean that the ship is flyable.

I just realized that the vulture and some others had the wrong color (this is why I have the red lines crossing the names instead of being to the side, to prevent these errors) so here is an updated image

e: gently caress, the hello kitty bike is actually in the game, fixed.

This is only a test.

I went thru and created a layered file and dropped it into the Pay to Live comp, just for a quick test. Does it look accurate?

Longer term an animated infographic approach — with text inserts — could be neat and informative. I’ll ponder that awhile and see where that leads.

slagmatic
Apr 28, 2004

glowy melty swirling things!

G0RF posted:

This is only a test.

I went thru and created a layered file and dropped it into the Pay to Live comp, just for a quick test. Does it look accurate?

Longer term an animated infographic approach — with text inserts — could be neat and informative. I’ll ponder that awhile and see where that leads.

This would be a lot of work, but I love the idea of lots of mini bulldozers shoving the unfinished ships off screen, Wing Commander style.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/90sj3g/mining_whining_on_cigs_plans_for_mining_lets_have/

I really feel kinda bad for this dude I posted earlier, he wrote like decently well written, formatted and spelling/grammar checked 3 pages comparing the current mining "system" to other games that feature resource collection on how it could be improved and made more interesting.

His thread was buried instantly and literally every comment (well, besides mine) is telling him to shut up or that SC is better than any other game he used as a comparison point.

So I checked the main sub. Top three voted up threads are pictures of ships, none of which I believe are actually functional in any way yet.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

G0RF posted:

Is the corrected version accurate? It has real animation potential.

Ooh, if you're going to do another video and really dig into what ships are "in the game," you should include a special category for the ships that are flyable but are missing core mechanics to fill their appointed "role." Like that Reclaimer salvaging ship that has all the grindy things and sparks but no actual salvaging mechanics or systems in place to do anything.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

G0RF posted:

This is only a test.

It looks ok. If I may, I'd suggest losing the explosion effect and replacing it with a "blow white powder" effect that removes the non-implemented ships like someone blowing cocaine on a coffee table.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

Best line in the thread since "Marketing is the only thing CIG produces"

I liked Scruffpuff's 'CIG is like the WinRAR of lying'

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Solarin posted:

I liked Scruffpuff's 'CIG is like the WinRAR of lying'
You're right, that one is excellent too.

AbstractNapper posted:

It looks ok. If I may, I'd suggest losing the explosion effect and replacing it with a "blow white powder" effect that removes the non-implemented ships like someone blowing cocaine on a coffee table.
Also if he wants to make the graphic more informative, displaying the ships in a manner that places ships on an axis of size and date sold would cleverly demonstrate the obvious pitfalls of the project.

I mean I understand the cultists don't see it - and I completely understand why the shallow view of the catalogue is exciting - but it's so clear there. Half a decade old designs, sold for thousands, without any hint or suggestion they will ever be implemented. Its a luxury dealership that has posters of all these beautiful models but the only thing that ever drives off the lot are hatchbacks and subcompact crossover buzzword SUVs that punch above their weight.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Spatial posted:

Best part is when Chris Roberts shows up in person to rescue his own main character.

e: Actually I take it back, the bulldozer is just impossible to beat

Oh how could I forget, he just couldn’t help himself could he

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

G0RF posted:

Erris weighs in on this week’s refund story.

:five:

I always promise to myself that I will consume more primary sources. But drat every time I hear those shills being all :smug: it just makes me irrationally angry. Hope they enjoy their feeling of superiority by being a useful idiot for CR.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Bargearse posted:

There isn't a RiffTraxx about Wing Commander yet. Chop chop my boy

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

AbstractNapper posted:

Alternatively, an immaturely drawn out squeaky fart noise would be fitting, too.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

the posting triples every second

TheSickeningTruth
Jul 22, 2018
The worst kind of posting!

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Don’t get me started.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Quavers posted:

Only 19% complete :ohdear:

Place your bets for 3.3: what features/items will get dropped to 3.4+?

* container *

( eg anything containery)

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

History Comes Inside! posted:

It's all made up imaginary bullshit hth

Slightly depressing how ‘The expanse’ is the sci-fi d’jour.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

ewe2 posted:

I can't claim originality. Motivated reasoning has been a subject of research for a while, but I first came across ideas about it in Merchants of Doubt, a book I highly recommend for the depth of research and rigour, an attempt to understand the key scientific players who were all Cold War hawks and cut their teeth on tobacco industry astroturfing and think-tank fronts and applied them to climate change. The only theory that made sense to the writers was not that these guys were incapable of understanding the facts or relating them, they just had a vested interest in changing perceptions about the facts to prevent ideas they found threatening taking hold.

Now you’re getting it.

The internet levelled opinions, but didn’t actually increase the knowledge or experience of the opinion holders. A lack of training against confirmation bias, or self-awareness of the attractiveness of the answer that ‘feels’ right.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote the rationalist hero, Sherlock Holmes, but he still spent most of his life chasing literal fairy stories. Science is filled with mistakes and ego, which is why Planck said that science advances through funerals.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

AbstractNapper posted:

Have Crobbear Thanos pop in accompanied with a *click* then apply the blow-powder effect

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
https://twitter.com/ColMovers/status/1020678975549591552

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Lladre posted:

I guess what I am trying to say is.

Everyone has an opinion.

But Star Citizen will be forever bad.

Mike’s hard lemonade watermelon tastes like a jolly rancher dissolved in trichlorethane 1:1:1.

It’s growing on me, truth be told.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Colostomy Bag posted:

Arguing about ciders.

I know right. Bunch of pussies. Notice how none of them have mentioned a nice Scrumpy.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Or put put otherwise, about 25% of the ships are 'done' by current standards - with no reason to believe that these standards won't change the next time Chris Roberts sees a cool movie.

Pretty neat statistic for a ~200 billion dollar company that produces practically nothing except from 3D assets :thumbsup:

Also provides a good look at Ponzi schemes in action. "Yes I know we built only 1 out of the 4 ships you paid me, after exceeding the development timeline 300%, but you know what just gimme more money and I'll throw in another ship!"

Twyst
Mar 5, 2005
:O

Kosumo posted:

I take back what I said about Chris, he obviously understands balance, he has a watch on either wrist.

Could any off you Photoshop wizards, add another seven or eight watches to him?

(On phone, could someone spot me a tax catte please)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/90sj3g/mining_whining_on_cigs_plans_for_mining_lets_have/

I really feel kinda bad for this dude I posted earlier, he wrote like decently well written, formatted and spelling/grammar checked 3 pages comparing the current mining "system" to other games that feature resource collection on how it could be improved and made more interesting.

His thread was buried instantly and literally every comment (well, besides mine) is telling him to shut up or that SC is better than any other game he used as a comparison point.

So I checked the main sub. Top three voted up threads are pictures of ships, none of which I believe are actually functional in any way yet.

Glad to see nothing has changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Beet Wagon posted:

ex2: asked about being how able to switch out bed modules will work "that's one for the marketing department/ we will decide how to roll out those modules once the tech is available"

So I get that marketing would have a say on game mechanics and balance in a P2W game. Can any game devs chip in on how normal this is outside P2W?