Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Truck Stop Daddy posted:

Holy poo poo, congrats dude. It sounds a bit wrong to congratulate someone for their broken back, but there's a first for everything!

I never thought I'd say "I hope you have a broken back", but here I am.

To celebrate, here's a moluccan cockatoo taking the What the Fluff challenge. Normally I'd gif it, but it needs the audio.

hop hop hop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I like how cockatiels can look like orbs of fluff in a head-on photo and then look completely different in a profile shot because of the comically long tail

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Shark Sandwich posted:

I like how cockatiels can look like orbs of fluff in a head-on photo and then look completely different in a profile shot because of the comically long tail

Masters of derpsguise

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012
Coozie could hear my car about a block away the wife reports.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
My new browser plugin isn't doing much...

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Captain Log posted:

My new browser plugin isn't doing much...

No joke tabs open, 8/10 (the 8 is from birb)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Had my yearly visit to the bird park today.

As always they had peafowl wandering freely about and lots of pretty birds to look at.

I enjoyed some time playing with this handsome birb:

S/he was clearly practicing making human sounds and seemed to enjoy me talking to him very much. Maybe next time he will be asking everyone if they're a pretty bird!

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
https://twitter.com/aochan_06/status/1020277243346501633

bird has good taste in music

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

lllladies

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Who doesn't love a man flopped on his back giving you the ol' crazy eye

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Today is Anais's 7th hatchday. Let me try to sneak a picture of the elusive gothatiel...

Now is not the time to preen, Bandit! Let's try again...

I give up. I'll just post what I have...

Welp.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Happy birthday Anais! :toot:

:discourse:

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Capt Log, that's super great news. I too have chronic health problems and I know how stressful diagnosis issues can be. I hope things keep on going your way.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

WrenP-Complete posted:

Capt Log, that's super great news. I too have chronic health problems and I know how stressful diagnosis issues can be. I hope things keep on going your way.

:respek: Thanks for the very kind thoughts, everyone. I sorta wish the doctor ran the three MRIs before telling me I was terminal, but his own words were, "There is a hail Mary chance this could be something else, like 5%." I feel rather foolish for worrying everyone, but my God the outpouring of love from you folk and TFR has been amazing.

Also, birds are great when you are sick. They are content to sit on your head and chill. I might have a cockatiel on my head RIGHT NOW!

I went to the bird store yesterday and they were boarding an old ladies Amazon that was doing a continuous monologue of, "YES! NO! YES! NO!...SHUT UP!"

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

And better moves than I do.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF5lCvUA9dM

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Apple eaten: 1/10
Apple on the floor: 9/10

Good birb

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
I think I asked this before but I really want my budgie to stop biting my fingers. It's not out of aggression, like when I piss him off when he wants to nap alone in his cage and he bites me, that's on me and I accept my barrage of pecks.

It's when he's hyper (which is almost always) and he comes to hang out with me. He'll land on my hands and phone but he has a bad habit of randomly biting the corners of my thumbs or the soft skin between the thumb and index.

Someone suggested putting him on the floor if he's clipped. The problem is when he's clipped he doesn't hang out voluntarily nearly as often and also I sincerely think he plucks his trimmed wing feathers (which stimulates new feather production?) because he's usually flighted a little over a month later. The floor doesn't work. I try gently tossing him away when he does it but I think that registers as "fun" in his little budgie head.

He bit me twice during the typing of this message. Right on a freshly peeled hangnail too.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Have you tried giving him absolutely no reaction at all? If he gets worse while you're trying it, it means he enjoys the response and ignoring him will work with time

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

underage at the vape shop posted:

Have you tried giving him absolutely no reaction at all? If he gets worse while you're trying it, it means he enjoys the response and ignoring him will work with time

I posted about the time I did nothing, I sat there doing nothing while he tore at the lower right corner near my thumbnail until it bled and he was making his little adorable preening squeaks during. It was horrible.

I'm making him sound like a terror but he really isn't that bad, his bites now are more annoying than anything. I'll focus on forms of positive reinforcement for now, like he's on my hand now and not biting me so I'm making sure to speak happily to him.

He just really likes attention, I think.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

I love how birds can go from majestic/adorable to incredibly goofy depending on angle

https://twitter.com/donchan08041/status/1020953906405232641

greypearl
Jul 26, 2007
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I posted about the time I did nothing, I sat there doing nothing while he tore at the lower right corner near my thumbnail until it bled and he was making his little adorable preening squeaks during. It was horrible.

I'm making him sound like a terror but he really isn't that bad, his bites now are more annoying than anything. I'll focus on forms of positive reinforcement for now, like he's on my hand now and not biting me so I'm making sure to speak happily to him.

He just really likes attention, I think.

I would suggest trying the opposite then, play more with his beak. Touch it, very gently hold it, and pull away if he gets rough. I do this with Pearl a lot, and it seems like she’s learned through the interaction where the line is. This sounds a little more like grooming behavior so I am not sure if the same strategy will work entirely, but maybe you’ll still get it across that if your hands are going away he needs to tone it down.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

greypearl posted:

I would suggest trying the opposite then, play more with his beak. Touch it, very gently hold it, and pull away if he gets rough. I do this with Pearl a lot, and it seems like she’s learned through the interaction where the line is. This sounds a little more like grooming behavior so I am not sure if the same strategy will work entirely, but maybe you’ll still get it across that if your hands are going away he needs to tone it down.

That sounds like an excellent idea!

At the moment he's playing nicely with his favorite bell that I have attached on a broken Ikea chair (no pointy bits, it's literally just bars). There's a hollow tube in the main shaft of the chair and he seems to be interested by the sound of his voice as he sings into it. Reminds me of Harley the Cockatoo and hip cup phone.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
How severe are the bites? Some birds don't immediately make the connection that your body is part of you. They might be "beaking" you harder than they should. I find most birds get blood when they want it.

Also, what's the little fella's age?

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Captain Log posted:

How severe are the bites? Some birds don't immediately make the connection that your body is part of you. They might be "beaking" you harder than they should. I find most birds get blood when they want it.

Also, what's the little fella's age?

A year old plus change!

The bites entirely depend. He seems to bite at soft folds of skin pretty hard. A lot of repetitive quick strikes and chomps. Usually he'll either fly away and squawk a bit or just get more and more hyper and excitable.

When he gets really testy he'll fly around the room extremely fast or fly to my tablet/me (with a few bitres) and back to his cage repeatedly.

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 22, 2018

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Plant MONSTER. posted:

A year old plus change!

The bites entirely depend. He seems to bite at soft folds of skin pretty hard. A lot of repetitive quick strikes and chomps. Usually he'll either fly away and squawk a bit or just get more and more hyper and excitable.

When he gets really testy he'll fly around the room extremely fast or fly to my tablet/me (with a few bitres) and back to his cage repeatedly.

Oooooh, your bird could be hitting bird puberty. Most birds between the ages of one and two hit a little phase of testing their boundaries. The little fella is probably trying to see what you'll put up with. I'd recommend not making any response to bites, and then providing a negative stimuli, like a perch out of the way of the floor. That way the bird learns that bites do nothing to you but cause something bad for them. He'll grow out of it. :)

-

I'm so sorry I've been negligent in my Serra Sunday duties and have a million pictures to make up for it. I'm moving tomorrow and juggling that with a billion doctor's visits.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I’ve had Bandit for three months now and I can say this with utter certainty: conures are odd little animals

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Gandalf gets a peanut for going into his cage at night. Gandalf has learnt he can drop the peanut instead of eating it immediately and leave it in the cage as a pre-breakfast snack before his covers are taken off in the morning.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Gandalf is a very smart boy

Horn of Arby's
May 30, 2004
what? no catfood?
The myna birds like to sit outside the door and make noises like a dying crow. Pico the GCC has decided that this is Not Acceptable. So, he yells at them. Myna birds, being jerk birds, yell back. Thus creating a cycle of jerk birds being jerk birds.

Why do all birds gotta be jerks?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
https://local.theonion.com/grey-parrot-disappointed-to-discover-rest-of-aviary-a-b-1819580076

"Saying he didn’t know how long he could put up with his enclosure companions, an African grey parrot was reportedly disappointed Monday to discover that the other birds in his new aviary are a bunch of idiots. “They seemed cool when I got here last week, but the more I talk to them, the more I realize they’re all morons,” said the 33-year-old bird, adding that he found it impossible to relate to the cockatoos and parakeets who “sit there squawking at their own stupid reflections in the mirror all goddamn day.” “Every bird here is dumber than the last. I was using a twig to retrieve food from a hole, and the entire time this dipshit toucan was just staring at me with seeds all over his dumb beak. And half of them just march up and down the same loving branch literally nonstop, but they’re so loving idiotic they never get bored of it.” At press time, the exasperated African grey realized he either had to escape or wait for the other stupid birds to break their necks flying into the walls of the cage."

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Tsaedje posted:

Gandalf gets a peanut for going into his cage at night. Gandalf has learnt he can drop the peanut instead of eating it immediately and leave it in the cage as a pre-breakfast snack before his covers are taken off in the morning.

He is ready for Lesson 2: Money can be exchanged for goods and services.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
He's already learnt he can train humans to come and give him attention by being adorable in different ways specifically tailored to be irresistible to each individual human in the house.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Tsaedje posted:

He's already learnt he can train humans to come and give him attention by being adorable in different ways specifically tailored to be irresistible to each individual human in the house.

Holy crap!

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

A rare photo of Spencer bashfully posing with his latest avant garde art piece: Paper Roll and Poop

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Cockatoos have such deceptively sweet faces :3:

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

mikerock posted:

Paper Roll and Poop

... while standing on a dildo.

Edit: Wait a second. How did the birb get the paper to loop through one of the top metal bars? That actually takes skill!

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

The roll sits on the top of his cage so he can pull the paper down and chew on it while we’re out during the day. The ones that get me are: the back bar loop, and the 3 loops over the large rope perch on the bottom. He was busy today!

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Crouton doesn't get as nesty now she's got her suprelorin implant. However, when she does get nesty, she weaves long paper strands, leaves, pieces of seagrass mats etc through the cage bars and into her toys, and she can get some very intricate weaving done for someone only able to use her face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I never thought I'd ever cook meals for a bird but here I am.

Does anyone chef it up for their birds? What sort of snacks do they like?

Mine still won't take pellets in their normal form, so I soak them in warm water and roll seeds, broccoli florets and/or whatever else I have. He loves this and eats up all the goopy pellets.

He's crazy for eggs, or mostly the yolks. He likes hardboiled enough but goes nuts for scrambled. Eggs for me will have butter and stuff, his are coated in chili flakes.

His latest obsession is couscous, I had made myself a couscous salad and he immediately flew from his cage to my bowl and started eating from it. Couscous is basically just pasta though so I try to make it veggie heavy.

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 25, 2018