Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

yeah it was the same interview where he said he ranked his two greatest accomplishments in life to making morrowind and also rigging an 84 metacritic score for obsidian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Dalris Othaine posted:

I did one Legion run a while back because I'm a completionist asshat sometimes, and while it was hard to hold my nose sometimes, I actually really enjoyed doing Arizona Killer. There's just so many ways to go about it- Straight up sniper. Sabotaging the guns to shoot down Bear Force One. Rigging that farmboy who's getting a medal to explode. HEY THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE PFC BRAHMINFUCKER AHAHAHA

what I am saying is I am a very sane and balanced individual

I think Arizona Killer feels less odious than other evil quests because they portray the NCR president as kind of a piece of poo poo and killing him as a political act of war.

Whereas if you decide to, say, help the Powder Gangers kill the people of Goodsprings, you're literally betraying and murdering the people who saved your life for no real reason whatsoever.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Berke Negri posted:

yeah it was the same interview where he said he ranked his two greatest accomplishments in life to making morrowind and also rigging an 84 metacritic score for obsidian

Then everything I feared has come to fruition.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Berke Negri posted:

Todd..... speaking the truth?????

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
During E3 2018, T. Howard remarked (while visiting CDPR's Cyberpunk 2077 "neon bar booth") that he "...wish[ed] we could make a 50-hour game as engrossing as the [1-hour-long demo for Cyberpunk 2077 that was aired behind closed doors]" and that Maul's Cyberpunk Cosplay was "extremely handsome and strong."

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.

Wolfsheim posted:

I think Arizona Killer feels less odious than other evil quests because they portray the NCR president as kind of a piece of poo poo and killing him as a political act of war.

Whereas if you decide to, say, help the Powder Gangers kill the people of Goodsprings, you're literally betraying and murdering the people who saved your life for no real reason whatsoever.

that and Kimball's appearance really is basically just begging for assassination yeah

:) : "Sir, we've gotten reports of basically every current enemy we have moving forces into the area around New Vegas. It's a powderkeg, Mr. President - one wrong move could set the whole thing off."

:clint: : "ima visit"

:) : :cripes:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I can't bring myself to play as a bad guy in the game where I use a variety of guns and explosives to ruthlessly kill and dismember hundreds of people then loot their corpses.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

I can't bring myself to play as a bad guy in the game where I use a variety of guns and explosives to ruthlessly kill and dismember hundreds of people then loot their corpses.

Exactly. I'd kill the fuckin kids in these games if they still allowed it. Most of them deserve it.

You can't tell me you wouldn't gun down every last twerp in Little Lamplight, including that poo poo-idiot dressed like a hyperactive mole.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

The legion is worth doing once just because it had the only different ending fight sequence. I also remember it being hard as balls but that's probably because it was my shortest run and I hadn't superpowered my character.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

So an amateur actor who acts in community plays is morally culpable for the actions of their characters? That is ridiculous.

Does a highly paid professional babyraper get a free pass? Because, "It's just my job, man." I'd argue that people are even more morally culpable for the actions they take for financial reward. "It's just business," is the cry of the most heinous evil in society.

The only possible moral concern with video games is the opportunity cost where you could be doing something else more beneficial, and maybe griefing and bullying in online games, but that is a more complicated social issue.

I get that you are really into role playing your way through these kinds of video games.... honestly me too. The psychodrama of an RPG is why they are so fun! But, when you are done with the game, let it go! And definitely don't judge other people's moral being based on the choices they make in video games!

In the video game RapeLay, the protagonist rapes a ten year old girl, deflowers her, and boasts to her mother about his plan to turn her whole family into his harem of sex slaves. He can get the ten year old girl pregnant, and invite his friends over to gang rape her as she gets more and more visibly pregnant in each sex scene.

Despite this, we could not possibly judge the morality of the sort of person who plays this video game for fun.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

new creation club companion looks interesting

quote:

Sentinel Control System Companion

Before the Great War, the geniuses at West-Tek and General Atomics International had an idea – what if they combined unmanned suits of Power Armor with an autonomous artificial intelligence? Their single, highly experimental prototype was eventually recovered by the Brotherhood of Steel, and now it’s in your hands. Not quite robot, much more than human, the Sentinel Control System will shift the balance of power on any battlefield! (And with the Outcasts re-integrated into the Brotherhood, what to do with all of that painted power armor?)

since im guessing new VA is not in the cards i wonder if itll just be like automaton beeps and boops

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I did a Legion playthrough because I was curious to see how it would play out and I thought the quests themselves were really fun. My character, however, was 100%, there is no doubt, a bad dude, even though he might have justified that differently in his head.

The fact that there are people who, no irony, stan for the Legion, is on the disturbing side.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Berke Negri posted:

since im guessing new VA is not in the cards i wonder if itll just be like automaton beeps and boops

They should use Microsoft SAM.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Berke Negri posted:

new creation club companion looks interesting

Once again, CC makes something that someone else has already modded except it's free and it's done better.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Reveilled posted:

In the video game RapeLay, the protagonist rapes a ten year old girl, deflowers her, and boasts to her mother about his plan to turn her whole family into his harem of sex slaves. He can get the ten year old girl pregnant, and invite his friends over to gang rape her as she gets more and more visibly pregnant in each sex scene.

Despite this, we could not possibly judge the morality of the sort of person who plays this video game for fun.

I realize that you are being sarcastic, but unironically yes. You can judge them on their bad taste, I guess, but that could also be said for anyone who plays visual novels at all regardless of their content.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I realize that you are being sarcastic, but unironically yes. You can judge them on their bad taste, I guess, but that could also be said for anyone who plays visual novels at all regardless of their content.

You got some real hosed up fallout 4 mods installed, huh

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Unless your prudish sensibilities are triggered by the Servitron gynoid with chrome baps I have tending the bar at Greygarden, no.

Fwiw, my character is in a relationship with Piper and it's been good except that one morning when I woke up with Lover's Embrace and Infection at the same time, bwahahahaha.

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jul 22, 2018

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Unless your prudish sensibilities are triggered by the Servitron gynoid with chrome baps I have tending the bar at Greygarden, no.

Fwiw, my character is in a relationship with Piper and it's been good except that one morning when I woke up with Lover's Embrace and Infection at the same time, bwahahahaha.

Thank you for this

No but seriously your posts give me the heebie geebies

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

FO4 progress: (I guess I won't bother with spoiler tags, since I'm still not very far in.)

I've gotten a request to clean out a den of raiders that are holed up in the car factory. I've used my scrap hoard to beef up my weapons and armour a bit, but I figured this was probably a job for the power armour. I've repaired and upgraded my entire suit up to B class, and gave it a Flame paint job, for maximum style points.
My typical style of engagement has been sniping from a distance, then using a pistol and ducking behind cover to fight at close range.
With the power armour, I just waltzed right up to the factory with a suped-up combat shotgun, and started blowing raiders away. Being able to stand toe to toe with a mob of enemies, blasting them down while bullets plink off my armour really makes the suit feel like a powerful resource. I also appreciated how stepping into the armour gives you a slight height increase too.
So far, I'm really enjoying the game. I'm not too concerned with tracking down my missing kid, so I'll just keep exploring, and farting around with side quests for now.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

The only real way to enjoy FO4 is by not worrying about your kid, and just exploring and farting around with sidequests and settlements imo

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Power armor is very powerful, and doesn't take a whole lot of work to get unlimited fusion cores, so go wild.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I disagree with the guy who said playing a video game is not a morally indicative act. Time to extremely rationally pay to annoy him

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well they did bring up pedo hentai rape games as a non sequitur in a conversation about moral choices in RPGs so they probably aren't very good at reason.

Did you know that watching horror movies means you're basically a serial killer?

Bogan Krkic posted:

The only real way to enjoy FO4 is by not worrying about your kid, and just exploring and farting around with sidequests and settlements imo

Yeah, that's p much why I'm pretty hyped about 76.

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 22, 2018

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008

Reveilled posted:

How do people ever know about stuff like this with all the details lol

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I did not know about the rape camps in fallout New Vegas until I read about them online. I thought the legion was cool and the NCR were dorks so I sided with them in a couple play throughs. I sincerely apologize for my actions and will do better in the future

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

siding with bad guys in video games is fine but also some people online are a bit weird about Caesar's Legion (the same is also true with some people and the Empire from Star Wars)

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Six AM posted:

Something Awful has a front page

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

The Zombie Guy posted:

FO4 progress: ...

Glad to hear you are having fun! While I agree with the criticism that Power Armor in FO4 is a bit too common there is no denying it is incredibly fun to use.

One thing of note with Power Armor: if you find a suit in the wild and it is one you've already collected (like another T-45 for example) consider leaving it be and come back when you are about ten levels higher. Some armors will change depending on your character's level. I believe T-51 starts appearing around level 15, T-60 around level 30, and X-01 level 40. There is no advantage to picking them all up early unless you just want to collect them. I find they start to clutter up my "home base" settlement but ymmv.

I don't know what difficulty you are playing on but Very Hard isn't actually that hard. I have a lot of fun playing on Very Hard. Might want to give it a try. If you don't like it you can always change it back with no consequences.

Edit: fixed typos and added a bit about armor levels

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 22, 2018

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Six AM posted:

Those of us who have been around long enough were probably exposed to it via Zack Parsons’ series of SA front page articles from way back in the day.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
No it's because only actors and the people playing these games could possibly know how bad they are and want to be like them.

This thread gets weird.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Though you can argue that the existence of Veronica is an indication that there are members of the brotherhood who aren't knobheads, despite their leadership being much more conservative.

Whereas I don't think there are people in the legion who are only into a little bit of murderrape and only crucify half the people they come across.

The brotherhood ultimately are portrayed as a somewhat complex faction struggling to adapt to a change in environment that their founding principles did not anticipate, whereas the legion is literally just chaotic evil personified and run by a literal madman who likes cosplaying a roman.
The New Vegas version of the Brotherhood really reminded me of Orthodox Jews.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I think the reason people give NV such critical analysis wrt morality is because the world is well-realized, as are the characters, so turning Vegas into ostensibly one giant slave camp feels distasteful. On the other hand I don't really have any ill will towards doing evil acts in the Bethesda games like bomb-collaring that one kid from the ant town or siding with the Nuka raiders because everything is just so cartoonish and ridiculous that it's all just played for laughs.

The Zombie Guy posted:

FO4 progress: (I guess I won't bother with spoiler tags, since I'm still not very far in.)

I've gotten a request to clean out a den of raiders that are holed up in the car factory. I've used my scrap hoard to beef up my weapons and armour a bit, but I figured this was probably a job for the power armour. I've repaired and upgraded my entire suit up to B class, and gave it a Flame paint job, for maximum style points.
My typical style of engagement has been sniping from a distance, then using a pistol and ducking behind cover to fight at close range.
With the power armour, I just waltzed right up to the factory with a suped-up combat shotgun, and started blowing raiders away. Being able to stand toe to toe with a mob of enemies, blasting them down while bullets plink off my armour really makes the suit feel like a powerful resource. I also appreciated how stepping into the armour gives you a slight height increase too.
So far, I'm really enjoying the game. I'm not too concerned with tracking down my missing kid, so I'll just keep exploring, and farting around with side quests for now.

Tip if you missed it; climb to the very top of the car factory if you want to find an item that makes power armor even better. And then jump off, because jumping off large heights in power armor is one of the best things about wearing it.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I mean the Legion isn't just rape camps and slaves though.

Caesar has multiple talks about how this is the last cycle he hopes to have to do this, and how his plan all along has been to bring education, proper education to the children of the tribals so they can build the new glorious future/Rome. How a lot of the laws he has in place aren't to encourage these acts, but to be built with the understanding that the majority of his people are tribals/conquered tribals who view these actions as normal, and so by also normalizing certain smaller atrocities he can curtail even worse versions/atrocities.

There are whole systems in place for slaves to uplift themselves from slavery through service, allowing basically all to become citizens in the Legion.

The system of slavery they use isn't on everyone. If the community submits to Caesar it's left alone, women and all. It's only communities that are openly hostile to Caesar that get conquered and then have to reearn his trust.

It's not like the NCR handles the issue of "how do we handle numerous tribes that are still inferior to us technologically/culturally" very well. Their solution is usually to treat them like bog standard Raiders and just murder the entire camp, including women and children.

Like there is a kernel of truth behind all the violence. That the people of the Wasteland aren't capable of being self sufficient because of the conditions they are forced to live in, so they have to throw their lot in with the powerful, which groups like the NCR struggle with. How does Democracy work in a world where the rich and powerful can basically do whatever they want without having to think of the people. The Courier taking over Vegas also doesn't solve this issue, because what happens when the Courier dies/the Couriers reach is rather limited. If Caesars plan actually works, then you'll have a society which can genuinely support itself throughout the Wastes, and will be able to stop committing atrocities thanks to the forced education/forced uplifting. In Caesars mind, the ends justify the means, he just needs to live long enough to bring his plan to fruition.

That's like the core crux of the Legion storyline. Lanius wants to usurp Caesar and use the Legion as a bludgeon, and Caesar never thought about what could happen if he lost control before he managed to build his utopian society where all are equal.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Yea but... rape camps.

If they hadn't included that one detail all this would make the legion an interesting evil faction where you can kind of see what they are going for, but since they did also throw in rape camps they can't ever be anything but cartoonishly evil.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Wolfsheim posted:

I think the reason people give NV such critical analysis wrt morality is because the world is well-realized, as are the characters, so turning Vegas into ostensibly one giant slave camp feels distasteful. On the other hand I don't really have any ill will towards doing evil acts in the Bethesda games like bomb-collaring that one kid from the ant town or siding with the Nuka raiders because everything is just so cartoonish and ridiculous that it's all just played for laughs.

sorry but i just really do not have it in me to kill isabel cruz

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Avalerion posted:

Yea but... rape camps.

If they hadn't included that one detail all this would make the legion an interesting evil faction where you can kind of see what they are going for, but since they did also throw in rape camps they can't ever be anything but cartoonishly evil.
I mean... they're just evil... It's worth critiquing how New Vegas engages with rape and sexual assault, but I think it's a bit insulting to refer to a military or government using rape as a form of oppression to be cartoonish because ya know... history.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Rookersh posted:

Caesar has multiple talks about how this is the last cycle he hopes to have to do this, and how his plan all along has been to bring education, proper education to the children of the tribals so they can build the new glorious future/Rome. How a lot of the laws he has in place aren't to encourage these acts, but to be built with the understanding that the majority of his people are tribals/conquered tribals who view these actions as normal, and so by also normalizing certain smaller atrocities he can curtail even worse versions/atrocities.

But this is transparently absurd. Our first encounter with the Legion is them literally murdering an entire town (an explicitly non-aligned town in the current conflict, too; Vulpes notes that they're equally happy to serve NCR, Powder Gangers, and Legion.) Moreover in Honest Hearts we see that plenty of tribals don't view brutality as normal.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I was pretty down on the Legion but now that I realize it's just a few rape camps I'm a huge fan!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah Caesar's rhetoric doesn't work because he is the cause of most of the problems he says he's the solution to. The primary purveyor of horror in the FNV setting is the legion. The NCR is obviously struggling but a big part of why it's struggling is because it's fighting the legion, clearly the NCR has developed its way eastward and has built up the ruins of the world in its wake and improved the lives of the people there by bringing security from the wasteland and resources to improve things, whereas Caesar just burns everything he runs into down and salts the earth.

It's pretty unequivocal that if you just took the legion out of the picture literally everybody would be much better off. The solution to the difficulties of postapocalyptic democracy is definitely not "enslave everyone to the whims of a tumour infested madman"

Like if it took place in a world where everyone was dying to the wasteland then he might have a point, but it doesn't, it takes place after the west coast is well on the road to rebuilding and the NCR for all their faults have clearly demonstrated themselves to be good at rebuilding, far better than anyone else, even House and his army of robots.

Caesar is a dumb romeaboo who went off the deep end and somehow missed the part where Rome collapsed spectacularly under the weight of its own conquest and decided he was going to just wander off and do stupid poo poo and somehow managed to end up acquiring an army of idiot fanboys in the process.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 22, 2018