Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face

Mega64 posted:

You know how the characters not in your party sometimes pop up in the tavern? I had Tressa hanging around, I went to talk to her, and she went "I bought these off a traveling merchant, hope you enjoy them!" and then I got a couple consumables. Pretty nifty!

Primrose gave me a bunch of stuff a horny boy gave her once. I haven't had any other people hand me things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
The poor doggos can't be guided back to their homes :smith:

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Tae posted:

I'm watching a man dying while playing octopath, because he declared to not stop streaming until he beats the game

He said this when he hasn't even started half the chapter 3's yet

edit: according to his archives, he's on hour 25

He's now grinding for the final dungeon, having streamed for 24 hours straigh and more

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I beat the archmage using the dancer-cleric strategy! I was really frustrated at first because of the debuffs he starts throwing on you at the start of battle, but after I figured out a way to survive the first debuff and get stuff actually applied, it was smooth sailing. This also happened to be the run I threw out bewildering graces at the start and got an exp x5 bonus too, so I got 4 levels across the board.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Man, I am going much slower than everyone else, then again I've been playing it while baked out of my gourd.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Harrow posted:

Boy it's hard to do without Cyrus once you get used to having him in the group. That free weakness identification every battle is fantastic.

Yeah, I just started a run with Alfyn (having used Cyrus as my main previously) and it’s rough.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zoran posted:

Yeah, I just started a run with Alfyn (having used Cyrus as my main previously) and it’s rough.

I think if I was going to recommend a starting character to someone starting the game now, I'd recommend either Alfyn or Cyrus. Both of them are fantastic in literally any party, so having them stuck in your group for most of the game is just plain a good thing. Alfyn's concoctions are fantastic, cheap healing and guard breaking, and his physical damage is excellent. Meanwhile, Cyrus has that weakness analysis talent that is a huge quality of life improvement, and the Scholar job is never unwelcome for big damage and guard breaking.

Obviously I'd tell anyone to start with the character they like the most, but if someone's indecisive, then starting with either of those two will at least mean you have a permanent fixture in your group who will always, always be useful.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I started with Therion and it proved to be a good decision when I saw everyone bitching about purple chests. :v:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm really wishing this game had either a more well-balanced EXP curve or some way to turn off EXP gains on a character-by-character basis (even an accessory, like FFXII has). It's hard to prevent overleveling, either for your whole group or just your main character. If you switch your party around frequently and don't just beeline to your main character's Chapter 4, you'll end up needing to spend some time leveling up your other party members, which means your main character is going to end up really overleveled. If you don't switch your party around much and just stick with four people until you finish their Chapter 4s, you're probably going to end up with those four being overleveled unless you ignore every Cait you run into and avoid taking any time out to do side quests.

Basically, if they weren't going to let you take your main character out of your party for most of the game, there should have been some way to handle EXP better. Either let me equip an accessory that turns of EXP gains, or do something like have enemies that are a lot lower-leveled give significantly less EXP to a character, and enemies that are a lot higher-leveled give significantly more. That way, an individual character in danger of overleveling is forced to slow down, and a character who's far behind the curve can catch up really quickly and then just stay on pace.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Harrow posted:

I think if I was going to recommend a starting character to someone starting the game now, I'd recommend either Alfyn or Cyrus. Both of them are fantastic in literally any party, so having them stuck in your group for most of the game is just plain a good thing. Alfyn's concoctions are fantastic, cheap healing and guard breaking, and his physical damage is excellent. Meanwhile, Cyrus has that weakness analysis talent that is a huge quality of life improvement, and the Scholar job is never unwelcome for big damage and guard breaking.

Obviously I'd tell anyone to start with the character they like the most, but if someone's indecisive, then starting with either of those two will at least mean you have a permanent fixture in your group who will always, always be useful.

Honestly, if I was going to rank the characters, Alfyn would be at the very top due to Concoct and huge synergy with his default Divine Skill, with Cyrus below him because Cyrus really, really helps you in the early-to-midgame and remains as your best option for a single-target/AoE magic DPS/breaker afterwards.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Cheesing the sorcerer boss is hilarious. Even better is that Cyrus is now cosplaying Doctor Strange.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think my favorite thing about Cyrus as a character is that he has a fun take on the noble vs. rogue path action thing. His Scrutinize action isn't a rogue action because it's illegal or unethical--it's a rogue action because he's being annoying as gently caress and won't stop interrogating random people in the street.

Cyrus owns, is what I'm saying. I played his chapter 1 first in the demo and for some reason didn't really like him as much as I wanted to, but he's really grown on me.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

This game is so good, I just really love the SNES/PS1 era of JRPGS and I hope this gets sequels. I think sprites and some voice acting is just fine for a JRPG, you don't need insanely long CGI cutscenes.

Just give me cute sprites, comfy music, and a customizable party.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Really what I want out of a sequel (and I'd be very surprised if there wasn't one, given how well this is selling and how much can still be done with a game in this style) would just be for the team to remember some of the quality-of-life features they had in the Bravely series. Being able to raise or lower the encounter rate at any time, for example, or turn off EXP gains from the menu, that kind of thing.

Weirdly I think this game is just fine when it comes to random encounters, which I usually find annoying, but I still wouldn't mind having control over it.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

That's all of the extra shrines down. My lead character Therion just hit level 41. With the knowledge of the passives and which characters are most useful for tackling these challenges, I imagine they could've all been done at even lower levels. I love that about this game and about the Bravely series, too.

... I really suck at this game, don't I?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Picked up Sorcerer. Use of leghold trap definitely makes the fight go smoother but I noticed that my entire team could survive 2 AOEs as long as nobody was hit with elemental break, too. Which is good because playing weakness roulette got rough at one point. The veteran warrior merchant ability hitting for 6k per swing (so 24-25k when maxxed) was nice but I never hit him with collect so I'm down under 200k for the first time in awhile. Might try Starseer after a couple more chapter 3s since it's the last one I need to get now.

Just

Folt The Bolt posted:

Yes. All NPCs that drop equipment can drop them at any time, but with a very low chance of success. I've actually kitted my Warmaster!Olberic out with all the Battle-Tested Weapons + the Memorial Axe now and he hits like a truck with any of them.

Wish you could boost success rates or something. Getting early/multiple copies of those would be nice but not if you have to spend hours murdering the same poor saps in duels repeatedly. :sigh:

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I started with Therion and it proved to be a good decision when I saw everyone bitching about purple chests. :v:

:yeah:

Were I to start a new game knowing what I know now I might start as Cyrus but I'd still haul rear end to Therion right afterwards and keep him in the party for all exploration and a lot of fights in general though. Warmaster Therion basically smashes the hell out of enemies with any weapon weakness I want while also being able refill his own SP as needed, provided the enemy actually has SP to drain since steal sp seems to cap the steal amount based on the enemy itself, and not actually do a damage -> SP conversion like in a dungeon crawler.

Harrow posted:

Really what I want out of a sequel (and I'd be very surprised if there wasn't one, given how well this is selling and how much can still be done with a game in this style) would just be for the team to remember some of the quality-of-life features they had in the Bravely series. Being able to raise or lower the encounter rate at any time, for example, or turn off EXP gains from the menu, that kind of thing.

Weirdly I think this game is just fine when it comes to random encounters, which I usually find annoying, but I still wouldn't mind having control over it.

With any luck the next game they do will also have some much larger dungeons. I like the straightforward and general normalcy of the dungeons/forest/ruins/etc but having some puzzles other than "try and find where we hid the path to this chest using the camera's view" would be nice. Or just having a dungeon that's deep and complex.

Ideally the sequel would add a bonus dungeon and it would copy the Ancient Dungeon design from Lufia 2. :getin:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

With the preface that I am bad at everything, I’m feeling a bit stuck. I finished all the Chapter 1s, but my main Tressa is only 18 with the others trickling down to Therion at 9. Getting to the Thief shrine has so far been a slog of consumable-intensive random encounters, and I’m concerned I won’t be able to get the job done once I’m there. I’m obviously too low for the Chapter 2s.

What should I be doing to get buffer? Not just grind on random dance encounters, I hope.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Subjunctive posted:

With the preface that I am bad at everything, I’m feeling a bit stuck. I finished all the Chapter 1s, but my main Tressa is only 18 with the others trickling down to Therion at 9. Getting to the Thief shrine has so far been a slog of consumable-intensive random encounters, and I’m concerned I won’t be able to get the job done once I’m there. I’m obviously too low for the Chapter 2s.

What should I be doing to get buffer? Not just grind on random dance encounters, I hope.

Just go run around and kill stuff.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mordiceius posted:

Just go run around and kill stuff.

Hmm. OK, if that’s what it must be!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

heckin' :same:

Turning off EXP/JP, raising/lowering encounter rates, auto-battle system, auto-advancing dialogue toggle, confirm on shoulder buttons, all that good stuff they got so right in Bravely. I want to experiment with the jobs and different passive abilities but if I grind the points to do so I'll be massively overleveled. That's dumb. I loved that you could turn off exp and use the robust auto-battle system to grind JP and use all the jobs in Bravely.

Also wish the game had more/better party interaction because the current system is pretty :effort: A lot of the skits are great but they are incredibly easy to miss and there are so few of them.

Subjunctive posted:

If you want to get the shrines easy just use the scholar passive that lets you reduce the amount of random encounters and the cleric passive that lets you run away easier. You'll be able to run to most of the job shrines with only 1-2 random battle and you can just (almost guaranteed) escape from them instead of fighting.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 22, 2018

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Do the random extra dungeons in between the chapter 1 towns
Steal/purchase equipment from towns
Go start doing the chapters anyway because you'll get way more EXP from those dungeons and level doesn't really matter if you have good strategy + equipment

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Subjunctive posted:

Hmm. OK, if that’s what it must be!

If you're not above save-scumming, stealing high level gear will go a long way too. You can also get Primrose to recruit a knight in Saintsbridge who can one-shot level 20-30 enemies with his magic.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mr. Trampoline posted:

if you have good strategy

Oh I assure you I don’t.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Does boosting Olberic's abide skill give him more of a damage buff?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
So my main is in the high 20s and I've finished about half of my chapter 2s.

Should I wait a while to try for an advanced job? Which one is the easiest to take down and what's the best strat?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Wildtortilla posted:

Nope, it extends the duration.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

The Octopath spreadsheet was updated!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTB8ETymokELfLd5J16Ebbl1GXFi7Hc1MB5PftFMZaq70wOn6ze-mfn5ce1k-8l7oYuOKyaNVDStZzx/pubhtml

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

Use the Y button to toggle the tooltip when picking a skill after boosting. It'll show you the effect, which is just that it multiplies the duration.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

So when it comes to noble vs rogue actions, I really think that I prefer Olberic to H'aanit for challenging people. Main reason being is that having all the monsters on H'aanit is great and all, but if I'm just wanting to go from town to town endlessly challenging people, I don't want to have to farm for monsters in between.

Only problem is, neitehr Olberic of H'aanit are in my main party.

Currently, I have done all chapter 1 stories as well as the chapter 2 stories for Tressa, Cyrus, and H'aanit. Current level span is: Tressa 45, Cyrus 45, Therion 44, Primrose 44, H'aanit 27, Olberic 19, Alfyn 11, Ophilia 10.

Guess my next step is to just throw Olberic into my party (probably in place of Therion) and then power level him while attempting to bait out 100x exp to a big boost.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Some Numbers posted:

So my main is in the high 20s and I've finished about half of my chapter 2s.

Should I wait a while to try for an advanced job? Which one is the easiest to take down and what's the best strat?

The Runelord is probably the easiest since they use single-target attacks for the first half of the fight, but even that one switches to multi-target ones at half-health. Still, it doesn't have a bullshit phase at its last chunk like the rest, and I managed to cheese it rather easily with a combination of Incite/Sidestep for the first half, followed by having Tressa/Olberic spam Sidestep, while Alfyn/Ophelia exploited the final Cleric passive to overheal, with Alfyn using Rehabilitate on those two to prevent the status debuffs. The Thief's attack debuff and Hired Help's Mercenary Defense buff for everyone is also very helpful. That's the only one I've beat so far, and my party's averaging in the mid-30's (with my main at low 40's). I'd done all Chapter 2's but no Chapter 3's at that point, but I'm also pretty sloppy at this stuff so you probably can do it lower if you don't mind being patient and relying heavily on Poison damage. (e: Forgot to add that the Hunter debuff to make the enemy act last is also crazy helpful).

From what I've seen so far, for the rest you'll either want the Dancer's Divine paired with the Cleric skill to give everyone elemental reflection easily for magical bosses, or the Runelord's Transfer Rune paired with Tressa to give everyone Sidestep to evade the nasty physical bosses. I haven't actually messed with this stuff though, might give it a try later on.

e: Re: Olberic, I had a lot more luck with his Challenges once I gave him Thief. The HP/MP Steals are invaluable for those fights.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 22, 2018

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I don't have Sidestep yet, so I'll get going until I get that.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Is stealing path action chance based on level at all or is it static based on the item?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

DalaranJ posted:

Is stealing path action chance based on level at all or is it static based on the item?

I think the probability increases slightly with Therion's level. There are NPCs who, when successfully inquired or scrutinized, increase the stealing rate as well.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm at a point where I can just steam roll through level 35 areas, so my 4th slot is just going to be a Merchant BP battery as I cruise through chapter 2.

I might do Runelord after starting chapter 3.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Right now I have H'aanit as a thief with the counterattack and cover and incidental attack skills. Basically anything she does she's probably gonna attack.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Mega64 posted:

The Runelord is probably the easiest since they use single-target attacks for the first half of the fight, but even that one switches to multi-target ones at half-health. Still, it doesn't have a bullshit phase at its last chunk like the rest, and I managed to cheese it rather easily with a combination of Incite/Sidestep for the first half, followed by having Tressa/Olberic spam Sidestep, while Alfyn/Ophelia exploited the final Cleric passive to overheal, with Alfyn using Rehabilitate on those two to prevent the status debuffs. The Thief's attack debuff and Hired Help's Mercenary Defense buff for everyone is also very helpful. That's the only one I've beat so far, and my party's averaging in the mid-30's (with my main at low 40's). I'd done all Chapter 2's but no Chapter 3's at that point, but I'm also pretty sloppy at this stuff so you probably can do it lower if you don't mind being patient and relying heavily on Poison damage.

From what I've seen so far, for the rest you'll either want the Dancer's Divine paired with the Cleric skill to give everyone elemental reflection easily for magical bosses, or the Runelord's Transfer Rune paired with Tressa to give everyone Sidestep to evade the nasty physical bosses. I haven't actually messed with this stuff though, might give it a try later on.

e: Re: Olberic, I had a lot more luck with his Challenges once I gave him Thief. The HP/MP Steals are invaluable for those fights.

Warmaster is the first one I did. I made Olberic as tanky as possible, he taunted and soaked all the hits until the final phase while I threw money at the boss to beat it.

And Olberic's definitely the better choice for fighting NPCs. Being forced to only use monsters with H'aanit is awful. Especially since if you want to fight higher difficulty NPCs than you normally should, you need stronger monsters. Capturing real high level stuff when you're a lower level can be hell to capture even if you guard break them, mercy strike to 1hp, and use 3bp in your capture attempt. Unlike steal/collect which only cares about the target's HP (or maybe h'aanit is the same way and she just isn't ever allowed to have 100% success rates for some dumb reason).

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I actually managed to make it to the Warlord's final phase like 5-10 levels ago (it was the first one I found and attempted), but even their mid-fight boost to three attacks was starting to overwhelm me, let alone jumping to six attacks a round. I've gotten more levels and a helpful subclass since then so it should be doable now.

I just need to get Tressa some BP before I try that again, but she's also much higher level than five of my characters so it's kinda hard justifying taking her to do Chapter 3's... Decisions...

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

I think the probability increases slightly with Therion's level. There are NPCs who, when successfully inquired or scrutinized, increase the stealing rate as well.

I found the guy in Noblecourt (hes on the second screen, in a cap, far right) but Im curious where the others are. Even just the first one skyrockets your stealing odds so id like the others

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Barudak posted:

I found the guy in Noblecourt (hes on the second screen, in a cap, far right) but Im curious where the others are. Even just the first one skyrockets your stealing odds so id like the others

I think it only affects the current city.

Does Linde's strength grow as Hannit levels up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Watching the extremely spoilery run of the endgame, any reviewer that said they beat it in 36 hours is a goddamn liar