Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
crappy songwriting is a valid complaint regarding 80s shred dudes

satriani's one of the few who got better at it down the road, but yeah if you're looking for a memorable tune it's slim pickings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5qKS_iUJSQ

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

Snowy posted:

In the 80s I had a guitar teacher who had been in one of Brazil’s first death metal bands. However by the time we became friends his tastes had really changed. When he started trying to push Surfing with the Alien on me I knew I should stop learning anything about guitar.

Andreas Kisser?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I forgot about him :lol: owns

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

This video was recommended after that last one and it made me aware that Joe Bonamassa is roughly the same age John Mayer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kgQvcVzcVU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

I am Otis posted:

Dude you have to post a video of you playing if you're going to call satriani a "reasonably confident blues dad". I don't like listening to him but what are you thinking lol? Stupid Music poo poo III: I do not like Joe Satriani

Joe’s earlier stuff is fun to listen to and good. I used to put his early albums on in the background to help me study. They have a great momentum to them.

My comment was mostly directed at his later albums, specifically the latest one where the criticism stands I think.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

If you're not listening to D-Beat/Crust 24/7 you are loving up.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

This guy gets it

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

This video was recommended after that last one and it made me aware that Joe Bonamassa is roughly the same age John Mayer.

that is legit surprising

i thought bonamassa was in his early 50s

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kgQvcVzcVU
I find it funny that, even after knowing that he's a gigantic douche, I find Mayer to be the lesser "mainstream" guitar douche.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
RE: SWTA
One of my favorite stories about that album is how Satch Boogie (which was my introduction to Satriani, in fact) got the name.

According to Joe, he would bring these swinging little bluesy riffs to his own guitar teacher who eventually started dubbing them "Satch Boogie #4, 5, 6, etc." I've never totally mastered it because you really have to swing it to get it right (kinda like EVH's "I'm The One") and there are a few sections that I just never bothered to get exactly right. I do have a video and plenty of audio of my old band playing it in the 90s if anyone cares enough to watch/listen.

I mean, like I said before I grew away from Satch around the time I fell in love with King's X, and my other guitar buddies can't stand him for their own snobby reasons (he has too many endorsements, he's too dated, he's too clinical) and I think all of those critiques have some validity but are also kinda shallow and/or petty. I mean, we know what he was good at, and if you skipped Not Of This Earth through Flyin' at least, then you missed some great stuff.

It's me, I'm still the Stupid Music poo poo.

E: And I'll prove it. Here's video of my old band, trying to impress with Prog-Rock and Satriani in the age of Grunge. I'm the goofy long-hair on the left, of course.
This clip is the way we were opening our live shows in the late 90s: My bassist and I just really liked the intro of the Pink Floyd bit, which ended on A, which then leads straight into Satch Boogie so I could warm my hands up and try to loosen up (I had terrible stage fright) with something technical but not too far outside my "comfort zone." The dumb grins and goofy dancing were legit real, for which I am ashame.

But anyway if you know the material just enjoy counting the number of times I go for the crazy Satriani harmonic and completely miss it on stage when it counts.

And yeah, if I hated this so much I wouldn't share it anyway so no I'm not clever or anything. I do believe it belongs in this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5RbW0pPbzM

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 22, 2018

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Doc, a really insensitive and stupid question: If you started having back problems, would you switch from the JEM's to using a JS?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Wark Say posted:

Doc, a really insensitive and stupid question: If you started having back problems, would you switch from the JEM's to using a JS?
I see nothing wrong with the question.

I am having difficulty answering it simply because I honestly have not played any JS model since the year they came out, and maybe the year after. It's actually been that long.
I would have to revisit the instrument and see if anything has changed. When I played the first few JSes I ever met, I wanted to love them. They are beautiful instruments, and they're clearly hot-rods that should be right up my alley. My eyes tell me I need a couple.

My first impressions way back then, however, were very much mixed. The build quality and craftsmanship were clearly fantastic. Acoustically the instruments were loud, proud, and bright. Where I had difficulty connecting to the guitars was at the neck. I don't have the stats in front of me but my hands were telling me that Joe preferred a more traditional, rounder fretboard radius, slightly smaller frets, and I honestly wasn't even sure about the scale length at the time (which I assume is silly).
It just felt wrong to my hands, and I kinda lost interest in them after those early experiences. I only knew one guy, a friend of a friend, who managed to score one and I saw it. It was candy apple translucent red and drat was it gorgeous; but I never got to play it (he later lost it in a divorce, which is terrible.)

The RG series guitars can be hit-or-miss based on how they do or don't resonate, if they have dead spots or build problems (of course). All things being equal, though, they just fit me like a glove so I don't overthink it.

Going back a little further, the Ibanez guitar that Satch was first associated with, the 540 Radius,: now that was a guitar that I loved to death and would love to have. My buddy's dad had one and I got to play it a lot. It was black with a H/S/S setup and Ibanez's trem-stabilization system installed, and mini-toggle switches for the pickup selection. What a cool guitar that was. I'd have it in a second.
Along came the JS model with its lovely sculpted contours and pretty appointments and I wanted very much to love it. Swing-and-a-miss, though.
If I played one today and it was properly set up, I'd probably change my tune because in recent years I've branched out to a Talman, a MIM Fender Standard Tele, and my newest guitar, a 2017 Fender Stratocaster Elite.

I have a new job, so I'll make a point of revisiting the JS model and see if it's right for my collection. One can never have too many guitars.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That's a good-rear end answer. :)

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Going back a little further, the Ibanez guitar that Satch was first associated with, the 540 Radius,: now that was a guitar that I loved to death and would love to have. My buddy's dad had one and I got to play it a lot. It was black with a H/S/S setup and Ibanez's trem-stabilization system installed, and mini-toggle switches for the pickup selection. What a cool guitar that was. I'd have it in a second.
https://reverb.com/item/12908230-ibanez-540r-radius-1987-first-year-blue-burst
I'd want one myself if they made a hardtail. drat fine-looking guitar.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Faustus posted:

And yeah, if I hated this so much I wouldn't share it anyway so no I'm not clever or anything. I do believe it belongs in this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5RbW0pPbzM

haha poo poo the lighthouse

my cousin's band used to play there a ton around the same time period. dunno if that was a regular place for y'all but we might have run into each other without knowing it. small world

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Wark Say posted:

That's a good-rear end answer. :)
I'm glad. I wish I had a more concrete answer. I'll report back!

Anime Reference posted:

https://reverb.com/item/12908230-ibanez-540r-radius-1987-first-year-blue-burst
That's awesome, but the one I know had those hard edges, not the contoured edges so I don't know what year it was.

EDIT: It was one of these, but in black:

The Muppets On PCP posted:

haha poo poo the lighthouse

my cousin's band used to play there a ton around the same time period. dunno if that was a regular place for y'all but we might have run into each other without knowing it. small world
LOL, yeah. I love the way we intersect on the NC music scene where we do. To be totally honest I only got to play there twice because I moved to Charlotte in 1998 and that broke up the band.
The bassist/keyboardist/singer actually has a music degree from Elon (among other degrees since). The drummer is from Greensboro but I met him when we were working at the same Applebee's in Raleigh. The bassist who owned all the gear and the van and everything has never left the greater Burlington/Greensboro area. The shows at Elon were fun, but I only have the one old VHS cam recording and it's only 1.3 sets worth.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 22, 2018

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Faustus posted:

LOL, yeah. I love the way we intersect on the NC music scene where we do. To be totally honest I only got to play there twice because I moved to Charlotte in 1998 and that broke up the band.
The bassist/keyboardist/singer actually has a music degree from Elon (among other degrees since). The drummer is from Greensboro but I met him when we were working at the same Applebee's in Raleigh. The bassist who owned all the gear and the van and everything has never left the greater Burlington/Greensboro area. The shows at Elon were fun, but I only have the one old VHS cam recording and it's only 1.3 sets worth.

burlington...that place is kind of a shithole. elon's got a solid music program though

if you had a guitar repaired at a certain music store there in the 90s that was most likely my cousin's doing

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

They used to make that chrome version of the JS model. I wonder how they have aged?
They were made of luthite if I remember right, along with the ergodyne basses.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

£350 for a budget superstrat with a floyd-rose? SIGN ME THE gently caress UP https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_fusion_hsh_roasted_maple.htm?ref=search_prv_3

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
it's the cheaper wilkinson 2-point trem which isn't bad, but without a locking nut don't expect to be able to do siqq divebombs

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I think my s540 was about that much!
My mate scored one of the Harley Benton fanned fret 7 strings new for £80 last week- he's not told his wife so it lives at the practice space and has not been played apart from a quick 30 seconds to see if it actually works (it does).

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Ok thread, you win.

I went back and listened to Joe Satriani's early stuff and yeah. I owe the guy an apology, lol.

His late records are still very strangely devoid of anything pretty much any guitar player couldn't play though. Weird.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jul 23, 2018

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
i don't listen to much satriani or any other shred stuff but this song legit rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcJZ3I4PSX8

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Wark Say posted:

I don't think anyone cares but I prefer the JEM to the satriani models. I like the way they look and feel a little more, even with the dickhole.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Something about the JS models always feels a little bit... melted in some weird way to me.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

i don't listen to much satriani or any other shred stuff but this song legit rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcJZ3I4PSX8

Ugh that tone is so good

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly, I was coming more from a "It's basically an Ibanez S with whatever Satriani is repping/endorsing" sort of place.

Like, I loved my Ibanez S, but once I got my Larrivée RS-2 (which is also insanely light) I started neglecting it, hence why when somebody made me an offer for it, I said "gently caress it, better somebody who plays it than me just having it do nothing". I never played an RG, but I've felt a couple of them and they always felt heavier than what a "Super-strat" is s'posed to be. I woulda kept my S if...

Anime Reference posted:

... they made left-handed S series with a hard-tail. I tried like the dickens to dig the floyd-rose style bridges, but they're not my bag. I love my PRS SE because it plays almost as well as my Larrivée, but even the Fender-style bridge ended up being too much for me, so I decided to block that business and just choppa-choppa my way into the galaxy.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I really wish I could stick with a floating trem for more than 2 days. They always prove to be annoying to me.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

GreatGreen posted:

His late records are still very strangely devoid of anything pretty much any guitar player couldn't play though. Weird.

Satch could not do this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hiWeClAk4g

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
the best part is that's john french and andy west backing him up

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I am now dead, and glad of it.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Faustus posted:

I am now dead, and glad of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NnNpx0R7hQ

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Thank you.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Remember there's a song called "Detachable Penis". The tremolo + delay (I think? it might just be a delay?) effect is still one of the reasons I always have a Tremolo and Delay pedals somewhere in my chain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIUk08iYZKE

This "stupid music poo poo" post was sponsored by my Catalinbread Semaphore Tremolo, which, after almost 10 years, it's still my favorite non-Multi-FX single stompbox pedal.

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003

Wark Say posted:

This "stupid music poo poo" post was sponsored by my Catalinbread Semaphore Tremolo, which, after almost 10 years, it's still my favorite non-Multi-FX single stompbox pedal.

I've got the tap-tempo version of that pedal. Absolutely love it. I've also got their Antichthon, which is a... thing. I love the way it sounds on anything heavy with humbuckers, used straight as a fuzz.

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

the best part is that's john french and andy west backing him up

I played a gig with John French a few months ago of Beefheart songs. Full horn section (I play horn) plus backup singers & theramin. Hopefully we're going to record it all sometime this fall.

EvangeliKal-El
Jul 26, 2009

MattO posted:

I played a gig with John French a few months ago of Beefheart songs. Full horn section (I play horn) plus backup singers & theramin. Hopefully we're going to record it all sometime this fall.

*honk*

[/tps]

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Meshuggah apologizes for inventing Djent:

http://www.metalinjection.net/latest-news/yes/meshuggah-guitarist-says-band-is-very-sorry-for-creating-djent-our-bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31PrzVpMktE