Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Elukka posted:

It's pretty realistic that social problems don't magically go away once the colonizer leaves, especially because they've had no room to evolve as a society on account of the violent repression. It's also realistic that the victims aren't all saints and have their own oppressors among them that will do their best to ruin everything. It's kinda surprisingly insightful for a Star Trek.

That this makes DS9 fans root for the colonialist fascists because they're more charismatic than the victims who completely unsurprisingly don't have everything sorted makes me go :chloe:.

I want to root for Bajor. However, their religious fundamentalism makes it hard. They're usually portrayed as massive dicks, with few exceptions. Kira gets better, but she is a huge doucher for most of the early seasons. Kai Opaka was pretty decent, but gets taken out pretty quickly as well. Leeta is funny, but it's pretty obvious she was included as eye-candy (although I love her and that she ends up with Rom).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Elukka posted:

It's pretty realistic that social problems don't magically go away once the colonizer leaves, especially because they've had no room to evolve as a society on account of the violent repression. It's also realistic that the victims aren't all saints and have their own oppressors among them that will do their best to ruin everything. It's kinda surprisingly insightful for a Star Trek.

That this makes DS9 fans root for the colonialist fascists because they're more charismatic than the victims who completely unsurprisingly don't have everything sorted makes me go :chloe:.

Build a subspace graviton field and make Bajor pay for it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Moridin920 posted:

Build a self replicating minefield and make Bajor pay for it

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Peachfart posted:

STD Season 2 trailer is out, and, uh,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDIlBDRkPDI

Wow I hate everything about this

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Elukka posted:

It's not that these problems "don't go away", these were problems that preceded the occupation and were prime for restoration once the occupation left. Kira makes a point that Bajor had a peaceful society for a shitzillion years or whatever, and they used to star surf and all that stuff, it's not that their caste system was the result of being fresh out of the caves.

It's Extremely Federation to assume that society "evolves" in some way that turns inherently toward 90s American liberal values.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I mean, Trek never really touched on this in my memory because it would have been contrary to Gene's Vision, but there's every possibility that some of the other races who we think of as dickholes were once more precious and happy and then for various cultural reasons became more aggressive, expansionist, etc. Maybe the Breen were once peaceloving star hippies and then they invented breen instagram and now they're all jerks

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pick posted:

I mean, Trek never really touched on this in my memory because it would have been contrary to Gene's Vision, but there's every possibility that some of the other races who we think of as dickholes were once more precious and happy and then for various cultural reasons became more aggressive, expansionist, etc. Maybe the Breen were once peaceloving star hippies and then they invented breen instagram and now they're all jerks

IIRC in a book or something that's literally the Cardassians' backstory, they used to have a peaceful spiritual culture more like Bajor then a huge famine led to a military junta and then the unstable authoritarian government they start the series with.

Also, the Founders.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC in a book or something that's literally the Cardassians' backstory, they used to have a peaceful spiritual culture more like Bajor then a huge famine led to a military junta and then the unstable authoritarian government they start the series with.

That's sort of implied by "Second Skin" and the resistance guy, Gamor?

Famine is always a super weird go-to in the Star Trek universe because it's like "lightspeed yes, hydroponics ?????, high-yield corn ???????"

like yes, we're all impressed you had interstellar travel before us, but you know what we had? corn.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Bogus Adventure posted:

Kai Opaka was pretty decent,

She's Mother Theresa.
She has a front that is nice and gentle, but is a sadistic powermonger behind it.
Otherwise she wouldn't be Kai with 100% of all other Bajorans being dicks.
Opaka is just Winn but just not showing shes obviously devious.

Part of me wants to hope that she was never heard of again because the people of Bajor silently collectively went 'THANK gently caress SHES GONE'

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
opaka went to live forever planet, which ostensibly you could still contact people on?? but nah

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Pick posted:

opaka went to live forever planet, which ostensibly you could still contact people on?? but nah

She accepted being exiled to the planet of immortal psychopaths pretty easily too. Constantly get murdered forever? Eh, better than Bajor.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I wanted to root for Bajor as well since they were supposed to be the good guys, but I grew up in a very religious community and watching them be obstinate fundamentalists fixed me of much pity for them. As an adult watching the show I can recognize that as a people they're meant to be faithful, complex, and rebuilding their world and culture after being occupied with the challenges that faces, but as a kid/teenager watching it I found them rear end-backwards but well meaning like the real people I grew up around and I didn't want religious nutters mudding up the sci fi I liked to watch.

I had always thought that the Bajorans and Cardassians were meant as a sci fi analogue to the Bosnian and Serbian conflict that was ongoing and present in the cultural landscape around the time that the series started. Clearly it took on more than that. Did they ever state what they were drawing from?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
The new trailer for the next season of star trek really excites me and I can't wait to start watching it.

The trailer for the new season of discovery isn't exciting though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pick posted:

That's sort of implied by "Second Skin" and the resistance guy, Gamor?

Famine is always a super weird go-to in the Star Trek universe because it's like "lightspeed yes, hydroponics ?????, high-yield corn ???????"

like yes, we're all impressed you had interstellar travel before us, but you know what we had? corn.

Famine in a developed civilisation is pretty much 100% lovely governing. Though of course there could be outside space problems. Maybe they pissed off Q and he turned all the space corn into rocks or something.

frogge posted:

I had always thought that the Bajorans and Cardassians were meant as a sci fi analogue to the Bosnian and Serbian conflict that was ongoing and present in the cultural landscape around the time that the series started. Clearly it took on more than that. Did they ever state what they were drawing from?

drat near everything; the Ireland, Palestine, 'comfort women' from the Japanese occupation of Korea (and elsewhere), possibly incidentally Tibet as mentioned... touches of oppressed people throughout history.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The best part of Damar is he was originally just meant to be a one-episode Console Guy character, but apparently one of the writers recognized the actor from some other work he'd done..

Casey Biggs was actually specifically cast due to his work as Davey Crockett in a film version of The Alamo. His arc is loosely modeled on the cultural myth of Crockett.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5eaU1Vh_3Y

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Random thought, Martok's marriage makes a lot of sense after learning his backstory, regardless of whether it was intentional; that he's a common warrior who ended up promoted all the way to General, even after being passed over originally for being common-born, and his wife is implied to be of ancient noble lineage. (if originating from a concubine) In other words, he married way up, and his wife is used to getting her way.

That sort of thing was far from uncommon in real life history, too. Marrying Sirella legitimized Martok in the upper levels of Klingon society so they'd respect him socially as a noble (by marriage) on top of respecting him as a celebrated general and warrior. Martok being Martok, he probably left all the House of Martok and Klingon high society stuff to his wife while he stayed a man of humbler tastes.

No wonder Martok's son was a shithead who only showed up in one episode. Kid was probably a certified mama's boy and a disappointment to his father.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

revolther
May 27, 2008

Pick posted:

The historical explanation for this has always been scarcity or abundance. Art typically doesn't manifest in societies until there is an abundance of food and a loose social safety net, because otherwise the artists would be hunters, gatherers, or starvers.

Blah blah cave drawings, naw bro, we realize now those were just lovely maps. Blah blah stories and religion, naw bro allegories for avoiding disease,; don't eat pork because of hookworm, cut off foreskins because you don't wash and it leads to infection. These were utilitarian communication tools not art or stories for fun.

Luxuries like art don't come about until you have an excess of resources, and then comes along fear of not having enough, greed, and resource war which is why there aren't typically flourishing societies of solely artists.

Kava Roots would have to be SOO abundant and the best food, the best fuel, and the best building supply on the entire planet for Bajor to claim they were an artist Utopia.

Also I think "used to be nice but then became dicks" is the entire Romulan backstory. Aren't they like, yin/yang logic/passion Vulcan substitutes.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i hated s1 so much that i have no interest in ever watching s2.

Can't wait to hear you bitch about it for the next year.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Zesty posted:

Can't wait to hear you bitch about it for the next year.

you should go to the mirror universe, where they think discovery was good.

ramenpower
May 6, 2007

Society must take every means at its disposal to defend itself against the emergence of a parallel power which defies the elected power

revolther posted:

The historical explanation for this has always been scarcity or abundance. Art typically doesn't manifest in societies until there is an abundance of food and a loose social safety net, because otherwise the artists would be hunters, gatherers, or starvers.

Blah blah cave drawings, naw bro, we realize now those were just lovely maps. Blah blah stories and religion, naw bro allegories for avoiding disease,; don't eat pork because of hookworm, cut off foreskins because you don't wash and it leads to infection. These were utilitarian communication tools not art or stories for fun.

Luxuries like art don't come about until you have an excess of resources, and then comes along fear of not having enough, greed, and resource war which is why there aren't typically flourishing societies of solely artists.

Kava Roots would have to be SOO abundant and the best food, the best fuel, and the best building supply on the entire planet for Bajor to claim they were an artist Utopia.

Also I think "used to be nice but then became dicks" is the entire Romulan backstory. Aren't they like, yin/yang logic/passion Vulcan substitutes.

Come to think of it, we don't know average Bajoran or Cardassian lifespans. The 50 year occupation could have been 3 to 5 generations long for the bajorans and way less to the cardassians.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
revelation: Kai Winn is like 26

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
I enjoyed rewatching Armen Shimerman's debut in S1 of TNG. He had the wherewithal to avoid the "i'm a creepy alien" jazz hands the other two Ferengis were getting carried away with.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I bet Armen is a pretty cool dude in real life and would be my friend if fate would just allow it

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

mods changed my name posted:

I bet Armen is a pretty cool dude in real life and would be my friend if fate would just allow it

same

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
oh yeah and in Homecoming kira points out that without opaka there's fighting factions and riots. lol bajor.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Pick posted:

oh yeah and in Homecoming kira points out that without opaka there's fighting factions and riots. lol bajor.

So a regular day on Bajor then.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

EvilTaytoMan posted:

So a regular day on Bajor then.

"I've made a career out of knowing when to run, and this Provisional Government is far too provisional for my liking. And when governments fall, people like me are lined up and shot."

I think that's why goons dislike the Bajorans so much. The Bajorans are more human than the actual humans in Trek.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Cythereal posted:

"I've made a career out of knowing when to run, and this Provisional Government is far too provisional for my liking. And when governments fall, people like me are lined up and shot."

I think that's why goons dislike the Bajorans so much. The Bajorans are more human than the actual humans in Trek.

Yeah man, that's the joke. We are (were?) so close to acting like a Federation candidate civilization, if we only stopped loving everything up all the time through pigheaded smallmindedness, and the crew of Deep Space Nine are here to give us a little leg up on getting there.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXp-gzz_aoY

It's real: https://www.mint.ca/store/coins/emstar-trektrade-deep-space-nineem---pure-silver-coloured-coin---mintage-4500-2018-prod3220073

So are lots of others, apparently: https://www.mint.ca/store/buy/star-trek_coins-cat1290023

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
I have a book of stamps with the DS9 cast of characters' faces and names on them from Canada Post that I bought last year in my closet somewhere.

Canada knows the best Star Trek (though there were other books with all the other series' (not Enterprise) casts on them, too).

edit: Also, I totally just went through to the mint page, thinking 'Oh man, I could totally justify dropping the forty, fifty bucks on this thing that-'

$149.99

:gowron:

Aoi fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 23, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

revolther posted:

Actually the opposite; the Vulcans used to be super violent emotion freaks until Space Buddha taught them to chill out, then died in a huge nuclear war, while Space Tyler Durden didn't want to chill out and led his followers offworld to found Romulus (and Remus) while the Vulcans rebuilt their society around logic and reason and not freaking out all the time if you can possibly help it.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Ugh.

Today at comic con I saw prints of;

One of the entire TNG cast, one ofthe entire OG cast, one of the entire DS9 cast

One with all the captains, one will all the second officers, one will all the medical officers, and one of all the chief engineers

All of them were signed by the respective actors

And as much as I wanted the TNG one with whoopis signature too, $15k is right the gently caress outta my budget

I aaaalmost got the DS9 one but still idk about $2K

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jul 23, 2018

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I categorically refuse to center my life around any media, no matter how much I like it or how nostalgic I am for it, to the point of dropping the down payment of a nice car for a poster, IDGAF who signed it.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

This is good on so many levels.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

rndmnmbr posted:

I categorically refuse to center my life around any media, no matter how much I like it or how nostalgic I am for it, to the point of dropping the down payment of a nice car for a poster, IDGAF who signed it.

I love production work for shows but yeah you reaaaally have to like something to want a chunk of it like that. Especially when you get get generic old Star Trek merchandise for next to nothing. Well, if they ever bothered making it, which is a real crap shoot for DS9 or Voyager.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
People who spend a lot of money on tv memorabilia are either insanely rich or just insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
"or"?