Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Wasabi the J posted:

"Just don't make any potentially fatal mistakes" seems like an unreasonable goal, even if the sentiment behind it is understandable.

:stare:

----------------
I bet the AC-130 crew felt pretty bad for blowing up the hospital after accidentally mis-identifying it. Good thing it's not a big deal.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

M_Gargantua posted:

There are tons of practically unpreventable accidents. Especially when they get to the age where they can open doors and run around. But they key to the majority of those is that they’re a mix of unfortunate timing and your kids own actions. No healthy parent is helicopering their 8 year old 24/7.

Locking your kid/dog in a car because of your own ignorance isn’t one of those.

"Hot Hint: Leave your phone in the back seat so you will remember to get your kid!" was a thing posted in this thread. If you're more than likely to remember your phone over a helpless human being then you're a pretty bad dumb person imo.

Not arguing with you just going along with

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
anyhow :gas:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

The topic is roasting kids not gassing them

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

The topic is roasting kids not gassing them

Eh, depending on how far down South you live it's more like steaming them.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
edit: nevermind I'm not going to continue a debate on "does my lack of responsibility leading to my kids death make me a bad parent?"

what about all those kids locked up in cages like fuckin' animals, lmao

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
In IRS news, they're getting rid of the 1040A and 1040EZ, and making the 1040 the size of a postcard.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-working-on-a-new-form-1040-for-2019-tax-season

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BigDave posted:

In IRS news, they're getting rid of the 1040A and 1040EZ, and making the 1040 the size of a postcard.

And it's gonna be trash.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

BigDave posted:

Lol good bye itemized deductions. This is going to make whatever's left of middle-class america go ape poo poo. Most peoples' equity is in their homes, and those are tax credit generators like no-one's business. Throw in the HELOC and general equity loans that the average american uses to keep themselves afloat, and you've suddenly got a motivated voting bloc

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

mods changed my name posted:

Like, if you leave your dog in the car and it dies pretty much everyone will agree you're a monster, but with kids I guess you get some sort of wiggle room that you just wouldn't understand unless you've gone through the journey of parenthood yourself

My dog knows when I’m about to leave her in the car forever and makes her feelings on the subject very well known by singing the song of her people.

Loudly.

loving huskies.

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

BigDave posted:

I'm sure Intuit won't start charging for any of these form that used to be covered by the EZ, no sir

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

BigDave posted:

Haha they just took off anything more than I make this and therefore owe this and put it on a different form that will need to be filled out in addition.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Look at you fuckwits getting down into the mud of a parenting conversation with a pedophile Brony.

I’m pretty sure Wasabi is court ordered to be at least 1000 feet from any restrained child so you can see how he’s more amenable to cranking up the heat on the old EZ bake oven out of pure spite.

It’s a ~power~ thing.

JK Wasabi you probably never diddled any kids. I know you might not be a pedo. But you are a Brony and goddamn man. Just... goddamn. I bet you were super into Star Trek too.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Look at you fuckwits getting down into the mud of a parenting conversation with a pedophile Brony.

I’m pretty sure Wasabi is court ordered to be at least 1000 feet from any restrained child so you can see how he’s more amenable to cranking up the heat on the old EZ bake oven out of pure spite.

It’s a ~power~ thing.

JK Wasabi you probably never diddled any kids. I know you might not be a pedo. But you are a Brony and goddamn man. Just... goddamn. I bet you were super into Star Trek too.

glorious

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'm not arguing that leaving your kid in a car makes you a perfect parent you loving false equivalating retards.

I'm saying it's a set of circumstances that can literally happen to everyone, and your moralizing judgement doesn't address the goddamn problem, nor does it prevent it from happening to you.

Being in the military, you're likely used to dealing with routine, and most of you have had experiences where inattention will get someone hurt or killed. That gives you a sight edge on the average person; you've probably developed a pattern of behavior to mitigate or prevent that. But lots of people don't live with experiences that prepare them for that.

There is actual loving psychology behind this, which is not linked to nebulous poo poo like how good a parent you are, and is concretely linked to how the actual brain works when processing routine.

I'm trying not to get angry because some of you are being obtuse by pressing the narrative that your kid dying makes you a terrible parent without understanding how the problem actually happens.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Immanentized posted:

Lol good bye itemized deductions. This is going to make whatever's left of middle-class america go ape poo poo. Most peoples' equity is in their homes, and those are tax credit generators like no-one's business. Throw in the HELOC and general equity loans that the average american uses to keep themselves afloat, and you've suddenly got a motivated voting bloc

If you're itemizing your deductions, you're not using a 1040A or a 1040EZ to begin with.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Epiphyte posted:

I'm sure Intuit won't start charging for any of these form that used to be covered by the EZ, no sir

File your taxes for FREE!*

$4.99 per schedule

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
my dude all we're saying is if you kill your kid you get an "F" on the "Successfully Raised Children" section of the old report card, Mr Wizard

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
current event, gip has child like problems

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
theres a lot of reason soldiers can fail their 2 mile run but at the end of the day they failed their 2 mile run

like thats all we're saying, jesus loving christ

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

my dude all we're saying is if you kill your kid you get an "F" on the "Successfully Raised Children" section of the old report card, Mr Wizard

Do you then take all their other kids away?

Third World Reggin posted:

current event, gip has child like problems

Won’t stop touching genitals in public?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Yeah GiP collectively makes a shitload of excuses for failing any physical event. Not sure that's the excuse you wanna roll with.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

No you see, being a parent is graded on a curve so cooking up a batch of Chile con child seat in your 96 Buick Regal gets you more of a C or maybe a D+.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

BigDave posted:

Who cares that it completely missing the point by only further complicating filing your taxes and continuing to prop up the tax prep lobby, its a great sound bite!

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Iran is posturing

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Wasabi the J posted:

Yeah GiP collectively makes a shitload of excuses for failing any physical event. Not sure that's the excuse you wanna roll with.

Why are you so desperate to die on this hill, seriously

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Since it is a slow news day and we are just shooting the poo poo, here you go

https://twitter.com/Rasmp42/status/1021077862034690048

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

The Iron Rose posted:

Why are you so desperate to die on this hill, seriously

I don't want people to stigmatize mental health issues.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Wasabi the J posted:

I don't want people to stigmatize mental health issues.

What’s the DSM-V diagnosis for char broiling your 3 year old?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

:emptyquote:

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Wasabi the J posted:

I mean, you can empathize and still think they are a terrible parent. The only reason for examining their reasoning is as an aid for prevention.

For the average 35(?) deaths a year, more extreme measures that overly inconvenience (yeah yeah terrible word choices) the general population are probably not the best and may have unintended consequences. Could still implement some things such as a printed pressure sensor in a baby seat that can interface with the car or a location monitor that sends a signal if your phone moves a certain distance away from your kid or something. Small things that bring your focus back to the present.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

As a former meteorologist who's leftist as gently caress this is extremely my poo poo.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

lightpole posted:

I mean, you can empathize and still think they are a terrible parent. The only reason for examining their reasoning is as an aid for prevention.

For the average 35(?) deaths a year, more extreme measures that overly inconvenience (yeah yeah terrible word choices) the general population are probably not the best and may have unintended consequences. Could still implement some things such as a printed pressure sensor in a baby seat that can interface with the car or a location monitor that sends a signal if your phone moves a certain distance away from your kid or something. Small things that bring your focus back to the present.

They actually sell those things. Personally I think they're overly complicated and my idea of a simple buckle alarm like cars have had for 40 years is easier but w/e.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

lightpole posted:

I wonder how many of those deaths occur while the parent is under the influence of legally prescribed narcotics.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Stultus Maximus posted:

They actually sell those things. Personally I think they're overly complicated and my idea of a simple buckle alarm like cars have had for 40 years is easier but w/e.

I keep my seat belts buckles if I have anything in the seat cause the weight sensor goes off.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/Comey/status/1021132108381683712?s=19

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

lightpole posted:

Wait you fuckers have argued for pages and pages about something that results in MAYBE 35 deaths a year?

*looks at everything else happening in the country*

So you're really trying hard to distract yourselves, huh?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The democrats tried that and Trump was elected.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

The democrats tried that and Trump was elected.

Last week's Economist had a good 4-5 article summary of the state of the Democratic party that should be read by anyone thinking about this.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Wait you fuckers have argued for pages and pages about something that results in MAYBE 35 deaths a year?

*looks at everything else happening in the country*

So you're really trying hard to distract yourselves, huh?

It's an emotional subject, not a substantive one.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
There was a big meeting of democrat consultants and goobers the other week. I think in Ohio? It came out from this convention, that when compared to what the pollsters they had actually hired reported to them, that this group of democrats completely threw out all data indicating any sort of leftwards push.

• Locked thread