Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
"Ifen perchanceth a seriesae of animalseth shoulden maulen yonder townfolkeneths it sureth wouldeth be'en a coinkydinketh" - H'aanit, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Some Numbers posted:

So my main is in the high 20s and I've finished about half of my chapter 2s.

Should I wait a while to try for an advanced job? Which one is the easiest to take down and what's the best strat?

A couple of the boss fights are absolutely winnable at that level. However, you will need certain abilities for them, some of which are costlier than others. If you didn't have that foreknowledge and have spent JP in other ways, then your main issue will be earning more JP on the characters that are the best choices for those low level strats, and that's best done just playing the game more.

If you want slightly more of a breakdown, here's the order and the general plans I used to tackle each boss:

Runelord: I actually covered my strategy in a previous post in the thread, also spoilered, so just look through my posts with the question mark under my avatar for it. Characters used were Therion (my main, Merchant), Tressa (Warrior), Ophilia (Apothecary), Alfyn (Hunter) if I remember right.

Warmaster: Therion (Merchant), Tressa (Runelord), Ophilia (Apothecary), Alfyn (Hunter). I think that's right, anyway. Tressa needs Transfer Rune and Sidestep, your Hunter needs Leghold Trap as always, the Apothecaries need Empoison, and everyone wants Saving Grace, Persistence, and The Show Goes On, basically, same as before. Make sure to keep Sidestep topped off as you get to the latter end of the fight.

Starseer: Therion (Hunter), Primrose (Scholar), Ophilia (Apothecary), Alfyn (Cleric). Primrose (or your Dancer) needs the Dancer Divine skill. The Clerics both need Reflective Veil, the Hunter needs Leghold Trap as always. Saving Grace is a little less important because it's easier to remain safer once you get past the first couple turns, but it is still recommended. Persistence/The Show Goes On is still desired on everyone, too. I had to restart the beginning of the fight a couple times to get a favorable pattern for a first turn break but otherwise the idea is to quickly build BP with items and Alfyn Concoct, get Sealticge's on a Cleric ASAP, then get Reflective Veils up on the party.

Archmagus: Therion (Hunter), Primrose (Scholar), Ophilia (Apothecary), Alfyn (Starseer). This one is similar to the last except Alfyn wants the Starseer ability that keeps opponents from debuffing your characters. You again need a favorable turn order for a first turn break before the boss's first action, then the first Sealticge's is put on Alfyn so he can spread that Starseer ability ASAP and the second is on Ophilia for the reflects.

There are obviously other strategies out there, but these are all proven to work at pretty low levels. The nice thing is that you don't get a gamebreaking amount of experience from the fights, so it'll only jump you up a couple levels at most. If I ever play again, I'd specifically train my party to take down the third one in the list there as soon as possible, since one of the passives you can get from that class is nice to have as early as possible.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Barudak posted:

I found the guy in Noblecourt (hes on the second screen, in a cap, far right) but Im curious where the others are. Even just the first one skyrockets your stealing odds so id like the others

I've found one in Noblecourt, Grandport, Wellspring, and Boulderfall.

Also, I think the fact that Haanit's action is Rogue and you're able to challenge anyone makes it necessary to nerf her a little bit. With Olberic, if you know the strategy, it's basically impossible to lose a duel, and giving Haanit access to her class abilities would make Olberic useless. "The Strategy" is to just switch over to Apothecary for a bonus 500 HP and a poison ability which never misses and does % damage every turn to the enemy. Haanit requires a little more planning in that, to cheese with her, you'd need to go out and find an enemy that deals poison damage and an enemy that heals in order to pull that off, which actually is possible.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
You can use items in provoke. You can just like, heal yourself.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

You can use items in provoke. You can just like, heal yourself.
And also hurl elemental stones. I did that to skate through the mandatory Provokes in her Ch2 while underleveled and with no good beast captures.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Tae posted:

Watching the extremely spoilery run of the endgame, any reviewer that said they beat it in 36 hours is a goddamn liar

I mean it's feasible to beat all the ch4s in that time but the final fight/area is pretty loving important and should be considered part of the main game and story. Which they definitely wouldn't have had time for.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

acumen posted:

I mean it's feasible to beat all the ch4s in that time but the final fight/area is pretty loving important and should be considered part of the main game and story. Which they definitely wouldn't have had time for.

https://kotaku.com/octopath-traveler-the-kotaku-review-1827537100

Kotaku posted:

NOTE: There’s been a lot of confusion over whether Octopath Traveler’s eight stories overlap or lead to some sort of epilogue. After finishing all eight, we’ve seen nothing like that. It’s not clear whether the game contains any sort of bonus endgame content—Nintendo says that it does, but the publisher could not tell us before publication what that content is or how to access it, only saying that it was “a matter of completing the storylines and some side quests.”

[UPDATE (7/13, 5:30pm): A day after publication of this review, we discovered the hidden endgame boss gauntlet. Read more here.

THEY PUT UP A REVIEW WITHOUT BEATING THE GAME

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

It's not like that's new or unusual for reviews, though. They can't beat every 80 hour game out there, after all.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Are they really side quests if they gate the ending?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

A couple of the boss fights are absolutely winnable at that level. However, you will need certain abilities for them, some of which are costlier than others. If you didn't have that foreknowledge and have spent JP in other ways, then your main issue will be earning more JP on the characters that are the best choices for those low level strats, and that's best done just playing the game more.

Okay, based on that, I need to get Sidestep, go get the Merchant subjob and spend an asston of JP on getting Saving Grace on everyone.

That...will be a while.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I've found one in Noblecourt, Grandport, Wellspring, and Boulderfall.

Whose got it in Boulderfall? Is it guarded behind the old man blocking the door to the house?

DalaranJ posted:

I think it only affects the current city

Nah, they definitely affect all cities because I got the first one then went on a looting spree of the starter towns.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

How can they say "no overlap" after 8 endings when 2 of them mention the same person..?

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

The worst part is there is already obvious overlap in just the chapter 4s so they clearly weren't paying attention or just straight up didn't finish them all.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Barudak posted:

Whose got it in Boulderfall? Is it guarded behind the old man blocking the door to the house?

Nah, they definitely affect all cities because I got the first one then went on a looting spree of the starter towns.

Nah, it's the female greeter as soon as you enter

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I love how you can get cool combos that just absolutely trivialize some stuff. Ophilia ch3 fighting the two mystery folk, got my dancer to max BP immediately and used the divine to have Ophilia be able to cast her reflective veil on everyone, then just boosted Ophilia to stack shields. Bosses started pinging themselves for 4k per attack plus haanit and alfyn beating on them. So good

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Nah, it's the female greeter as soon as you enter

Awww boo Ive got that one.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Where are all the super job shrines anyway? I haven't stumbled on any and if I don't start soon I'm worried I won't have anything to actually use them on as I'm starting my chapter 4's

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Where are all the super job shrines anyway? I haven't stumbled on any and if I don't start soon I'm worried I won't have anything to actually use them on as I'm starting my chapter 4's

They are pretty easy to find. There are in the Highlands, Woodlands, Flatlands and Riverlands 4th chapter areas.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Speaking of super bosses. Whats a good strategy for beating the Runeblade. Cause I can get him to half then his super ability just kicks my rear end.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
What would be sweet?

A tactics ogre luct game done in this fashion.

On the swithc.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Is this game designed so that you should be recruiting all eight dudes before moving into chapter 2s?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Is this game designed so that you should be recruiting all eight dudes before moving into chapter 2s?

I was like 20 hours in before I started any of the ch2s. Also, the difficulty rams up significantly per chapter so if you aren't trying to be a little equitable between giving all the party members some screen time you're gonna need to spend a fair amount of time leveling them later on. I'd definitely recommend grabbing everyone even if the ch1s can turn into a bit of a slog

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

acumen posted:

The worst part is there is already obvious overlap in just the chapter 4s so they clearly weren't paying attention or just straight up didn't finish them all.

I trust a man that says I am Setsuna is a masterpiece while octopath is a disaster of an experiment

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This game is cool when the stupid anime characters shut the hell up

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

You don't have to, but yeah, pretty much?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Hey did I miss something with H'aanit's chapter 4 boss? That fight was a complete cake walk wtf. It just did normal attacks and roared a few times. It was a long fight but I figured it would try to petrify someone or something given that I had items to cure it. Did it just have bad rng because I was not prepared for it to be as insanely straight forward as it was.
Also wasn't really expecting body horror but I suppose Cyrus was foreshadowing it somewhat

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Barudak posted:

:eyepop: Then I'll have to be on the look out.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh cool we're in the "complain about people who don't like the game" phase of game appreciation, awesome

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

DalaranJ posted:

:eyepop: Then I'll have to be on the look out.

I've found four so far but the last two have been behind guarded doors and then a pretty steep Inquire check so I suspect there's a reasonable number more I don't have access to yet. Once I clean up all the Chapter 2's I'm going to visit every town and start trying to really clean house out here before doing the shrine bosses.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Arist posted:

Oh cool we're in the "complain about people who don't like the game" phase of game appreciation, awesome

?????

chill the gently caress out dude

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Arist posted:

What?

Like where did you get that from

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm chill, it's just super dumb that people bring up bad reviews just to get mad at them

e:

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

What?

Like where did you get that from

Tae posted:

I trust a man that says I am Setsuna is a masterpiece while octopath is a disaster of an experiment

acumen posted:

OddObserver posted:

How can they say "no overlap" after 8 endings when 2 of them mention the same person..?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is everything in this game as boring g as Ophelia’s opening

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Hey did I miss something with H'aanit's chapter 4 boss? That fight was a complete cake walk wtf. It just did normal attacks and roared a few times. It was a long fight but I figured it would try to petrify someone or something given that I had items to cure it. Did it just have bad rng because I was not prepared for it to be as insanely straight forward as it was.
Also wasn't really expecting body horror but I suppose Cyrus was foreshadowing it somewhat

The first time I fought it it knocked all my characters unconscious neat the end of the fight with a roar and proceeded to murder them. I also assume it can petrify since you get 10 potions to cure it, but I never had it happen to me either time I fought it.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Ethiser posted:

The first time I fought it it knocked all my characters unconscious neat the end of the fight with a roar and proceeded to murder them. I also assume it can petrify since you get 10 potions to cure it, but I never had it happen to me either time I fought it.

Fair enough! I had on a equip that keeps primrose from being unconscious so when that happened well, she was sub'd as a apocrathy so she just healed everyone right away v:v:v

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Empress Brosephine posted:

No, other characters' intros are way more interesting.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

This game complements a joint so well, it's perfect.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Empress Brosephine posted:

at least you didn't start as H'aanit

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Your Computer posted:

at least you didn't start as H'aanit

Whateverthoust couldist thee benest referenduming

Adbot