Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

They did bring the two worst things about Skyward Sword over (Fi, The Imprisoned) and forgot about the best character (Groose)

It’s still a good game once you get a hang of the controls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

DontMindMe posted:

I ended up doing hard skulltulas in free mode since I could bring my very high level sheik and than bring the required character/weapon in second slot and then never use them.

What. WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT???!! WHY DIDN'T ANYBODY TELL ME. This whole time I could have been dropping Sheik and her Lv 4 harp having nuke rear end on the problem?! gently caress.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

yeah no reason not to do everything in free mode unless you want to watch all the cutscenes. actually I think those are still in so it’s really just the loading screen story

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Speaking of pointless and terrible gimmick weapons, the horse.

Then again, the horse has the most hilarious weak point smash on giant bosses.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Where's a good guide for the skulltula that includes the adventure mode ones?

e: a recommended fairy guide would be great too so i'm not just putting food into the fairy and hoping for the best.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Is there a way to make Girahim not suck? I love him as a character but using him isn’t fun.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

Is there a way to make Girahim not suck? I love him as a character but using him isn’t fun.

Always be locked onto your target with your strong attack. Most combos do extra attacks that specifically hit your target. Aggressively cancel out of attack animations and learn which combos not to extend.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Also don't use his C3 (the one that makes him stand in place while rings of various attacks come down around him). His C2 and C4 (except for the last hit of each) are both really good. The important thing is to lock on to big targets and dodge cancel everything you can, though. If you do, he's pretty darn good.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Ghirahim is actually super great. He's not intuitive at all though, I'll give you that

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

C5 is also great for that big floor slam. I almost never use the C1 though because it feels useless. Are you telling me that simply being connected to someone increases the damage you do to them? I thought you had to sit there sending daggers at them by repeatedly pressing C1 and it seemed pointless.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

When you have a red line on someone, it adds an extra attack to your combos, generally in the form of a gigantic gently caress-off megasword stabbing them during the most stabby part of a combo. C2 and C4 are the best for it. The megasword is one of your most damaging moves by a fair margin, and it hits them as long as you're attached regardless of the distance and aiming.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

repeated daggers can be really strong if you dodge cancel them as fast as possible. but yeah the lock on does other stuff too

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Well poo poo, I'm gonna have to try that when I get to another Ghirahim map. Thanks for letting me know.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

What the gently caress is wrong with whoever came up with the hard Skulltula in Linkle’s second level. Don’t let Darunia get in danger, but you have to wait for these loving engineers to waltz up to the door to the water temple and open it but their terrible AI has them standing around scratching their butts most of the time or if there is one single Bokoblin left they wait until it is dead or try to punch it and oh my god you fucker just MOVE PLEASE

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Whats the best combo for Volga 1 on 1? I struggle to break the weak point with him.

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!
C1, C1, C1, C1, C1...

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with whoever came up with the hard Skulltula in Linkle’s second level. Don’t let Darunia get in danger, but you have to wait for these loving engineers to waltz up to the door to the water temple and open it but their terrible AI has them standing around scratching their butts most of the time or if there is one single Bokoblin left they wait until it is dead or try to punch it and oh my god you fucker just MOVE PLEASE

Oh god that map. Yeah that was... I hesitate to say the worst because any map that makes you kill the Imprisoned on a tight time limit were the worst. And there were several of those.

I've collected all the hard Skultullas now except for the ones on the Wind Waker maps. The end is in sight!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I have over 100 Skulltulas now so I am wondering if it’s even worth going back and finishing the hard mode ones.

Also, how does refreshing fairies work? I have a few at lv99 and I’m not sure if I should just keep using them like that or if I should try doing some min-max poo poo to make ultra powerful fairies. They’re already amazing at getting like 2-300 KO’s in one shot.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The reason to refresh fairies is not so you can make their attack stronger, although there is that benefit, but rather so that you can shuffle their stats around to get the really powerful skills like the one that gives you 60 seconds of infinite magic.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

For tutorials on Girahim and others I recommend looking up Gamesbrained on YouTube.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Clam Chowdown posted:

C1, C1, C1, C1, C1...

Hey, it worked! Winning his L3 weapon was easier than his L2.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

How do I refresh my fairy? I can’t see a button prompt for it or anything.

I thought you guys were joking when you said Sheik’s L4+ weapon was easy to get. It was hilariously easy. The beginning of that map is a joke. Anyway, getting all the lv3 weapons to power up the master sword is gonna be interesting. There are a bunch of lv4+ weapons on the way and I haven’t even touched the Twilight or Termina maps yet lol also I appreciate that you don’t have to use Linkle’s boots to get the lv2 Boots because I haven’t even tried them yet but heard they suck.

Does getting a character’s lv4+ weapon unlock their lv4 weapon?

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

When a fairy is level 99 there'll be a prompt at the bottom of the dining room screen that says you can press Y to refresh her.

Linkle's boots own and unlocking any weapon will allow lower tiers of that weapon to drop but won't count towards he master sword until you actually get a drop.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
what mods should I have on weapons when im doing missions? I'm still doing the first two maps and unlocking level 2 weapons. should I have something like increased material drops and Stars+?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I like to run Stars+/Slots+/Exp+ on a lot of my characters. Obviously you can’t run three until you get lv 2 weapons for people, so know that Stars+ is more important than Slots+. Materials plus is okay if you desperately need gold/silver mats. Don’t run rupees+, unless it’s a weapon for Tingle in which case always run rupees+.

Idk how much of a damage bonus those combo boosting skills give but it seems pretty negligible. Fire+, Light+ and Darkness+ are good, Lightning+ is okay if you are good at juggling, Water+ can actually work against you by knocking generals out of their combos that would expose the WPG so maybe don’t run that one.

If you get any weapons with an unlockable skill that requires 5000 kills, that’s Heart Power and it owns. Boosts attack strength for every five max hearts the character has. The ones that require 1000-3000 kills mostly suck.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
wait why does Tingle want Rupees+? I'm guessing he has some hidden ability to gain more rupees?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

It’s just because Tingle loves rupees and you should oblige him by giving him Rupees+

And helping him learn violence

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I take back what I said earlier about the boots, they own. Didn’t realize they were Kung fu Pegasus Boots feat. cuccos. Linkle really is the best.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

I take back what I said earlier about the boots, they own. Didn’t realize they were Kung fu Pegasus Boots feat. cuccos. Linkle really is the best.

Gods are they kind of bad gameplay-wise though.

(Still use them more than the Crossbows because of my personal "this poo poo owns" factor.)

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

They aren't quite as strong as the crossbows but they're still fun and plenty powerful although it's entirely possible I'm biased because my Linkle is 3x everyone else's level and has 4+ 5* for both weapons

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Also, Lightning is a good element.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
Yeah lightning has some damned good weapons. Trident and Sheik are OP, gauntlets are fun as hell, and stuff like spinner and Lana's book are good if get used to them.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Why is water element so bad? Been trying to do Impa's level 3 knife unlock and it just takes forever to kill things.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Impa’s knife isn’t very good. My tip would be to use C3 on single enemies and C4 on groups. If you are killing things too slowly, level her up and/or get a better weapon if possible.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
Yeah, water's kinda bad. Ruto has lots of wide area attacks, especially with her heavy attack thing, and Tetra also has a nice assortment even though her range is a little small. Knife is kinda meh. My strategy is typically:
- To clear keeps, C2 into ground slam is OK. C3 and C4 are alright, but take a long time to come out. Honestly I try to use fairy blast whenever I can.
- For generals, rush up with C1 and try to get either C3 or C4. Weak points are the same.
- For giant bosses, C4 all the way. If feeling frisky, start the combo as they're falling down and try to land C5 right when the WPG shows up.

All in all, just slow as hell and not very effective.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Mezzanine posted:

Yeah lightning has some damned good weapons. Trident and Sheik are OP, gauntlets are fun as hell, and stuff like spinner and Lana's book are good if get used to them.

Spinner, Gauntlets, and Picture Frame are actually even more OP than Trident and Sheik when you know how to use them.

seiferguy posted:

Why is water element so bad? Been trying to do Impa's level 3 knife unlock and it just takes forever to kill things.

The Water elemental effect will cause enemies to flinch whenever they take damage from it which, while possible to allow for openings, is more infamous for causing the enemy to gain a teeny-tiny amount of knockback in the air that will knock them down to the ground easily. This essentially ruins combos when the water effect is active.

That said, the main reason the water element is bad is because every single weapon with water as it's primary element is just not very good at all, the best of them reaching levels where they perform decently in trained hands (Ruto and King Daphnes in all versions, Marin in HWU and Legends because Switch!Marin got an indirect nerf for similiar reasons as to why Zant and Ghirahim got indirect nerfs to their movesets). The rest meanwhile range from mediocre to plain bad. It says oodles about the Water element weapons when the ones that reach high tier are ones that had it applied as a secondary element to a weapon with another element as it's primary element with the introduction of Lv. 4+ weapons (Zant, Wizzro, Spinner to name a few).

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The other day I noticed something hosed up: I've put more hours into Hyrule Warriors than Breath of the Wild.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

Impa’s knife isn’t very good. My tip would be to use C3 on single enemies and C4 on groups. If you are killing things too slowly, level her up and/or get a better weapon if possible.

My Impa is level 40 and I have a five star L2 weapon. My issue usually ends up being having to go back and save my allies as I try to clear out keeps.

I think I spam C3 too much, and should probably focus on C2 for breaking weak points. C4 just feels too long for such a weak damage output.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

seiferguy posted:

My Impa is level 40 and I have a five star L2 weapon. My issue usually ends up being having to go back and save my allies as I try to clear out keeps.

I think I spam C3 too much, and should probably focus on C2 for breaking weak points. C4 just feels too long for such a weak damage output.

C4 is her crowdclear move.

Yes, I know it's pretty poo poo at that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I've found Marin to be pretty powerful at 1v1, as well as fairly decent for crowd control. She doesn't have great range and tends to take a lot of damage but that C5 is a great move. Still not top-tier but fun to use and about as good as water gets.