Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Didn't Jeph Loeb show up at the Iron Fist panel dressed like Mr. Miyagi or something? is he having a mental break down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Didn't Jeph Loeb show up at the Iron Fist panel dressed like Mr. Miyagi or something? is he having a mental break down?

He was Daniel from Karate Kid. The only person who could get away with that at a panel would be Ralph Machio. And not the Marvel one. (And I wanna bet he doesn't do that at fan and press events for Cobra Kai)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jesus.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Even money says when he apologizes, he says it’s because of his dead son.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

He was just cosplaying. Cough.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

OGB posted:

It was a bit between him and Jessica Henwick where she came out and made him take it off.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

OGB posted:

I will never not be disgusted by people being unable to criticize jeph loeb without bringing up his dead kid

come the gently caress on y'all

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Blockhouse posted:

I will never not be disgusted by people being unable to criticize jeph loeb without bringing up his dead kid

come the gently caress on y'all

Fair point. My bad.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/CharlesPulliam/status/1020112993722380288

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yes, we've covered this in this and other threads.

X-O posted:

It was a bit between him and Jessica Henwick where she came out and made him take it off.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Charles Pulliam Moore is always looking for something to be offended over.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Uh-huh and the bit where he goes on about genders and deliberately misgenders people is also a bit right?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

For the second point, was he doing anything more than just going, "Yes. The lady/fella over there" and innocently getting it wrong?

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Not to sound dense, but I do not understand what that guy is pissed about when he says Loeb says there is only 2 genders, then Cloak fans and Dagger fans. Like, the way that is written, it sounds like a joke, that you can only be a Dagger fan or a Cloak fan and nothing in between. But then it says someone was mis-gendered but gave no context. Did he accuse someone of being a Dagger fan when they were really a Cloak fan? Those tweets are loving confusing.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

enigmahfc posted:

Not to sound dense, but I do not understand what that guy is pissed about when he says Loeb says there is only 2 genders, then Cloak fans and Dagger fans. Like, the way that is written, it sounds like a joke, that you can only be a Dagger fan or a Cloak fan and nothing in between. But then it says someone was mis-gendered but gave no context. Did he accuse someone of being a Dagger fan when they were really a Cloak fan? Those tweets are loving confusing.

Perhaps Cloak fans are supposed to be Males, Dagger fans females, and he called a Female fan a Cloak fan?

He doesn't have anything to be pissed about.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I assumed there were two different incidents; the bit where he used "there are only two genders" as a joke ("there are two types of people" would have worked just as well) and when he misgendered a questioner.

But I don't know.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

enigmahfc posted:

"The Two Genders" is a joke/meme that has been around for 2ish years. Here have a buzzfeed clickbait with a bunch of stolen tweets: https://www.buzzfeed.com/hattiesoykan/pictures-that-accurately-define-the-gender-binary

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
It sounds more like when your dad tries to joke with you about things you like but he doesn’t quite understand it at all.

Except the kid in this scenario is humorless and easily offended.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

He would have just said "two kinds of people" if he wasn't trying to get with the millennials and their gender issues or whatever the heck that was.
It wouldn't make sense anyway. There's fans of one character without the other?

But untill we hear any more specifics, I'm guessing the misgendering wasn't malicious.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah, gonna have to recant my anger as I was going off what was being angrily reported. Sounds like he just told a joke that fell flat.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

He would have just said "two kinds of people" if he wasn't trying to get with the millennials and their gender issues or whatever the heck that was.
It wouldn't make sense anyway. There's fans of one character without the other?

But untill we hear any more specifics, I'm guessing the misgendering wasn't malicious.

Yeah it just sounds like a really poorly worded joke from an older dude who really shouldn't be trying to do a comedy routine at a press event.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Android Blues posted:

Excited to see oneshots featuring Nanny, Warwolves, Dracula and Mojo II.

All these X-Men villains are great. I loving love Warwolves.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Did they appear in anything other than Excalibur?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I am no great fan (or any fan at all) of Jeph Loeb's writing but both of these sounds like poorly thought out/poorly received jokes that revolve around the idea of "hey look at this uncool old dude trying to be cool and With It and failing miserably for comedic effect" more than any intended disrespect or belittling of fans.

Maybe I'm out of touch but I've lived through convention panels where Dan Didio poo poo all over a fan for wearing a sports coat because THIS IS COMICON IT'S NOT YOUR BAIL HEARING YA NERD or Ian Sattler repeatedly insisting that the JLA is very diverse because Superman and Martian Manhunter aren't even human and ONE OF THEM IS GREEN, he's not a white guy! or the time that Bill Willingham self-hijacked most of a Fables panel to crack on the Venture Bros fans camping in the hall by pointing out that they probably wouldn't like his comic because it has words and they are fans of a cartoon which probably means they're illiterate because cartoons are for children who don't know how to read yet and there are literary references in Fables so even if you know how to read I know you're too dumb to have read any real books so maybe stick to your baby cartoons you stupid fans... given the historical trends of big con panels while if I were a Loeb confidant I would have desperately advised for him to skip both of these dad jokes, I don't know if it ranks in the top 10/20 bad con panel decisions I can think of in recent memory.

EDIT: Chris Claremont shoehorned Warwolves into his short-lived Fantastic Four run!

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jul 23, 2018

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Mojo II was just in Squirrel Girl

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Edge & Christian posted:

EDIT: Chris Claremont shoehorned Warwolves into his short-lived Fantastic Four run!

Oh no! What did that warwolf do to Franklin's head?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Edge & Christian posted:

Holy crap!

Salvador Larocca's art wasn't always heavily burnished publicity photos from Star Wars?!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Android Blues posted:

Excited to see oneshots featuring Nanny, Warwolves, Dracula and Mojo II.

You mean Mojo II: The Sequel.

Also god dammit, I was 100% out on Spider-Geddon but they announced a Spider-Girls miniseries by the RYV writer. I thought I was out and they pull me back in! Oh well, I will disregard the main event as planned.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

Warwolves, sure, but how about the Technet?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

The Technet actually appeared recently in Rocket Raccoon, I think? Which is amazing because they might as well be called the Chris Claremont's Strange and Funny Paraphilias Squad.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The Technet were an Alan Moore creation, weren't they?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Dawgstar posted:

Of course. Of course.

Wheat Loaf posted:

The Technet were an Alan Moore creation, weren't they?
Jamie Delano (and Alan Davis), actually. But most of the weird body horror ones first appeared in the Claremont/Davis Excalibur one-shot. The ones in the Marvel UK books were weird looking aliens/non-humans but had pretty traditional comic powers like "super strength" "teleportation" "force blasts"

and not

quote:

Devour: Bodybag can devour up to 3 living beings and store them inside her stomach-sacs. Sizes of victims have varied, as she has shown to be able to eat Benjamin Grimm (Earth-616)
Stomach Pouch: Bodybag can store other materials in her stomachs, besides humans, such as mud.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jul 23, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Android Blues posted:

The Technet actually appeared recently in Rocket Raccoon, I think? Which is amazing because they might as well be called the Chris Claremont's Strange and Funny Paraphilias Squad.

Yeah they were in Rocket Raccoon which was really, really good.

And Warwolves appear now and then in X-Men stuff.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Edge & Christian posted:

Jamie Delano (and Alan Davis), actually. But most of the weird body horror ones first appeared in the Claremont/Davis Excalibur one-shot.

I think I must have mixed them up with the Special Executive.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The group was created by Alan Davis in an 80s issue of Captain Britain, but it wasn't the full complement. Some of the more ludicrously fetishy members, like Joyboy, Bodybag and China Doll, were Claremont co-creations with Davis for Excalibur.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
It was definitely something of a shock rereading Excalibur last year for the first time since I was a kid. As wonderful as Technet is, they are literally just a group whose powers are catering to as many fetishes as possible.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I am completely unsurprised Loeb would make the lovely two genders joke.

I am surprised it would involve Cloak and Dagger. That doesn’t even make sense!

If your gonna do a lovely transgressive joke at least be cohesive.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I assume he was trying to play off jokes like these where the whole point is that it's a weird poorly signified nonsense binary, but for a whole variety of reasons that's a bad idea. I think it's less meant to be edgy and transgressive and more silly.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Im just gonna say that it was a lovely offensive joke, and if it was an attempt to be some dadjoke that only makes it marginally less lovely lovely and still offensive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
There are only 2 genders - Skrull and Skrull.