Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

WITCHCRAFT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
If anyone wants an own Tempo Rockruff, with Fire and Thunder Fang, I have a bunch of extras from breeding, and can make several more if needed.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I have three codes to hand out:

Thundurus/Tornadus:

A842S6L6D6MXQENR

A842S6J8T8Z7NREN

Entei/Raikou:

A8Z9HUAP446RYUJW

If you take one, please mark off which one you took AND draw your least favorite starter and post it for us :buddy:

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

BlazetheInferno posted:

Okay, curiosity here.

I have what feels like a borderline OCD sort of... arrangement when it comes to my party. Higher levels to the back, lower levels to the front. Priority of Pokemon use is skewed toward the front of the party; when a pokemon levels up, the party is rearranged as necessary. Example:

Mudsdale, 68 | Marowak, 68
Noivern, 69 | Electivite, 69
Muk, 69 | Primarina, 70

If the Mudsdale hits 69, it gets switched with the Marowak. If the Noivern hits 70, it switches with the Muk. See how it works? The goal is to keep the party as close together in levels as I can. Why? Because any of my chosen team falling behind in levels is UNACCEPTABLE. The back of the party is only brought out in case of emergency. I generally don't use the EXP. Share, as it tends to result in my using one or two pokemon that level slower than the others while the rest of the party sees little to no action. Such as my first playthrough of Moon, toward the end of which became the saga of Zygarde and Cloyster's futile attempts to catch up with the rest of the party.

But to the point of my post. Is this some bizarre habit unique to me, or is this (or some variant of it) a common practice.

Nah, I do this too. I don't try to avoid using my higher level Pokemon though. They come out as needed, but rarely spend time in the front of the party.

For Ultra Moon, that was Rolldolph the Alolan Sandslash and Sunny the Alolan Raichu. They were both traded over, so got an exp boost. They were also EV trained with good egg moves and the MVPs of my party.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Silver Falcon posted:

You can impose challenges on yourself like Nuzlocke rules and mono-type challenges and... you'll probably be fine but poo poo can happen.

I dunno, US/UM seem like the unfriendliest games to Nuzlocke since Platinum... I think they've overthrown it, honestly. I haven't TRIED to Nuzlocke them, but... well...

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Still doesn't make K-Golem any less awful. :colbert:

iospace posted:

Please forward it to Silver Falcon. Thanks again for the help!

(Hala was not happy to face a ghost bird)

Done! Four codes remain, folks!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

graveler and machoke aren't mutual trade exclusive evos like karrablast and shelmet though

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Anyone else getting a bunch of random insane Legendaries from wonder trades recently? All of them have OT trainer names of some YouTube person.

Is this a thing? Wonder trading legendaries for YouTube clicks?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Anyone else getting a bunch of random insane Legendaries from wonder trades recently? All of them have OT trainer names of some YouTube person.

Is this a thing? Wonder trading legendaries for YouTube clicks?

It's more likely to be Twitch than Youtube, but yes. They're hacked.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

oddium posted:

graveler and machoke aren't mutual trade exclusive evos like karrablast and shelmet though

No, but that's because the mechanic didn't exist yet. It's possible that that was genuinely the reasoning here, after all, it makes really little sense why Graveler suddenly loses two arms upon evolving.

Of course, it may also not be true at all. Gen 1 is full of those weird bits that make logical sense but will never have an actual confirmation (like how Butterfree and Venomoth may be backwards).

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Blaze Dragon posted:

it makes really little sense why Graveler suddenly loses two arms upon evolving.

wait until you see exeggutor, or kabutops, or dragonite

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

oddium posted:

wait until you see exeggutor, or kabutops, or dragonite

Those pokemons’ bodyforms all change drastically, the difference in limb number being far from the biggest change. Those evolutions are simply not comparable to the Graveller>Golem evolution.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

they're actually exactly the same because there's no meaning in it, someone just drew something and said "ah yeah this whips"

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I don't believe Graveler has, at any point in any medium, used its secondary arms. But, here's the crazier thing, when it evolves from Geodude, it gains two legs??? Where did they come from? It seems unlikely it would just miraculously grow legs in the same way it would miraculously lose arms. This requires some further research.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Obviously, Geodude and co. are made out of metamorphic rock.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

oddium posted:

they're actually exactly the same because there's no meaning in it, someone just drew something and said "ah yeah this whips"

they were right

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Graveler's little arms are just their old Geodude arms that they lose when they evolve into Golem.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

oddium posted:

It’s not the same. Graveller has four arms, golem has two. More arms is better. This pokemon deserves justice, and has for decades, and frankly I am sick of people like you trying to downplay that.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

The real point is that Geodude and Graveler deserve better than Golem. See also: Rhyperior, Magmortar.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Walrus Pete posted:

The real point is that Geodude and Graveler deserve better than Golem. See also: Rhyperior, Magmortar.

you son of a bitch

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Karrablast, drat, that was one Pokemon I had absolutely no mental image for. I could remember Shelmet, Escavalier, and Accelgor but I had no idea who Karrablast is. He's a cutie though.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Silver Falcon posted:

Ultra Moon I left the EXP share and didn't even bother using extra dudes because that game is actually balanced around you using it and I was using a Theme Team so I wasn't steamrolling everything

Are you sure it's balanced around you using it? I've been leaving it off for the most part (occasionally turning it on if I'm a bit behind on exp due to training a new mon) and I generally stay slightly ahead of the level curve.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Walrus Pete posted:

Magmar deserves no evolution

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Electric Phantasm posted:

Magmar deserves no evolution

That’s fine; No evolution would still be better than Magmortar.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

when are those dip poo poo frauds at gamefreak gonna respond to my blog posts about the ancestral relationship between hypno and diglett (they both got noses)

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Walrus Pete posted:

The real point is that Geodude and Graveler deserve better than Golem.

:yeah:
This got fixed after twenty years, though, with Alolan Golem. He good.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

SirSamVimes posted:

Are you sure it's balanced around you using it? I've been leaving it off for the most part (occasionally turning it on if I'm a bit behind on exp due to training a new mon) and I generally stay slightly ahead of the level curve.

It's not the level curve that's important. With the EXP share on in Ultra Moon, I was ahead of the level curve. Yet I still wasn't steamrolling everything and had a fair few difficult encounters. The difference is, in USUSM, opposing trainers don't have poo poo for IVs and actually have any EVs to speak of, so their stats are much higher than their level would indicate.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Nth Doctor posted:

:yeah:
This got fixed after twenty years, though, with Alolan Golem. He good.

If a Pokemon needs improvement, the best solution is usually to add more guns to it.

See: Mega Blastoise, Alolan Golem.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

The xp curve will probably vary depending on if you try and catch stuff on every route, or like just use repels all the time. On my playthrough where I avoided most wild encounters with xp share on, trainers were usually right around or slightly above my level.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I can't even fathom not running from wild Pokemon constantly.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I tend to fight wild encounters early game and then give up after route 1 and only fight wild encounters when I want to catch something.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
but how do you find out what pokemon you can catch if you have repels on and never find them??

also I somehow always end up massively underleveled for the elite 4 despite fighting every random encounter and trainer i find, so I'm incredibly impressed by the people that avoid those and still manage to win

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Charlie Bobson posted:

but how do you find out what pokemon you can catch if you have repels on and never find them??

also I somehow always end up massively underleveled for the elite 4 despite fighting every random encounter and trainer i find, so I'm incredibly impressed by the people that avoid those and still manage to win

The Dexnav was great because of this, but RIP

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Dexnav and soaring were maybe two of the best features they've added to the series, so of course they were thrown out immediately.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Walrus Pete posted:

Dexnav and soaring were maybe two of the best features they've added to the series, so of course they were thrown out immediately.

Soaring isn't a big loss since its biggest use was being an HM replacement, without HMs it was pointless. I still miss the Dexnav.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
How silly am I for fearing that Gen 8 will bring back HMs? :ohdear:

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Charlie Bobson posted:

Serebii/bulbapedia. :D

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

TaurusOxford posted:

Honestly seems like a legit concern to have. But maybe I'm too pessimistic.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Soaring isn't a big loss since its biggest use was being an HM replacement, without HMs it was pointless. I still miss the Dexnav.

That's fair. It was fun, though :saddowns:

Dexnav absolutely should've become a permanent feature.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Blaze Dragon posted:

I liked it for more than just an HM replacement. It was cool being able to soar above the map and meander around, looking for cool places to check out and being able to land right near your secret base.

I loved secret bases and just wish there wasn't a limit to the amount of objects you could put in them. I think it would be cool to have a customizable house in a pokemon game, but I guess I can just wait for Ooblets to come out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

TaurusOxford posted:

It seems to me like the kind of fundamental change that sticks around, like reusable TMs. Things like minigames (sinnoh underground) and Pokedex features are less prominent and therefore not permanent.

On the other hand, removing HMs is less fundamental than something like the physical/special split, so maybe HMs will come back. But it's so popular that I think they'll keep it.