Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
That's why when that kid fell in the gorilla pit in the Cincinnati zoo, they just killed the ape instead of using tranq darts. They felt they couldn't afford to wait for a sedative to take effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I think I'd play a Harambe mod for at least a couple minutes

E: preemptively - this is not a pro-killing gorilla post

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Thinking about it, it would be pretty cool if there were ways to dose people with sedatives outside of the darts. Put it in food items, or gas them through the vents then put on a rebreather and sneak past them during nap time, that kind of thing.

Karpaw
Oct 29, 2011

by Cyrano4747

MysticalMachineGun posted:

What was this reference?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8kZ3HfeqtA&t=2s

Starts at 1:54.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

GMDX also makes it so enemies reliably go down when you tranq them in the head. If they could just figure out more realistic enemy behavior during combat that would be neqr perfect.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

That reminds me of the Moscow theater hostage crisis when the Spetsnaz pumped some kind of knockout gas (probably an aerosolized opiate) into the building and ended up killing a bunch of the hostages.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
I approve of the Stun arrows- If you cant get close to do it the right way, they work, but it causes a mess. I usually use the minicrossbow to shoot the wall next to the guards to give me a prodding opening while they turn to watch.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Maxed regen is amazing. I remember the first time I got it up to max and just facetanked my way through a giant firefight.

Yeeeeep. You start to see why nano augmentation is such a big deal once you get those augs that make JC a demi-god.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

:aaa:

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Neurosis posted:

Yeeeeep. You start to see why nano augmentation is such a big deal once you get those augs that make JC a demi-god.

I wanted the infinite power of nano-augmentation but it gave me lime.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Why not have the opposite of tranq darts? PCP darts that'll cause your enemy to hulk out on their buddies for a few minutes before their heart explodes. Help the drunken sailor use his bare hands to find his speelt dreenk in Louis Pan's chest cavity. :unsmigghh:

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

I'd love a game that incorporated a reality-based unconsciousness mechanism.

You can use a dart gun, I guess, but it's probabilistic: maybe it'll make them go to sleep, maybe it'll make them effectively drunk while you knock them out. Maybe it'll kill them via sedative overdose. Not reliable for pacifist playthroughs.

As far as choking/punching them out, they're gonna wake up in one minute like in real life, so you have to use precious moments of stealthy action to tie them up and gag them somewhere.

Outside of Invisible Inc., what games do this?

Knockout being seperate from binding and gagging was a mechanic in Commandos 2.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

Bought Deus Ex on Steam ages ago and finally installed it today. The mouse moves reeeeally fast. Too fast. I tried turning down the sensitivity but no effect.

Set it to use one CPU core. That fixed similar issues for me.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

I'd love a game that incorporated a reality-based unconsciousness mechanism.

You can use a dart gun, I guess, but it's probabilistic: maybe it'll make them go to sleep, maybe it'll make them effectively drunk while you knock them out. Maybe it'll kill them via sedative overdose. Not reliable for pacifist playthroughs.

As far as choking/punching them out, they're gonna wake up in one minute like in real life, so you have to use precious moments of stealthy action to tie them up and gag them somewhere.

Outside of Invisible Inc., what games do this?

Yeah I've thought about this as well. Much as it irritates me how unconsciousness from blunt trauma is treated in media, I think it would be a little tedious to give any kind of realistic mechanic for rendering large numbers of enemies unconscious - certainly if it was like that in Deus Ex or dishonoured I'd just kill people instead.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Neurosis posted:

Yeah I've thought about this as well. Much as it irritates me how unconsciousness from blunt trauma is treated in media, I think it would be a little tedious to give any kind of realistic mechanic for rendering large numbers of enemies unconscious - certainly if it was like that in Deus Ex or dishonoured I'd just kill people instead.

Yep. Non-lethal playstyles are invariably extremely unrealistic because it's very hard to knock someone out without inflicting lasting trauma as compared to just straight up killing them. Anything even remotely approaching realistic nonlethal gameplay like Invisible, Inc. has to put harsh limitations on lethal playstyles because otherwise the player just says "gently caress it, I'm gonna kill everyone" after the fifteenth time somebody wakes up and sounds the alarm before they're halfway through the level. You just can't knock people out for any significant length of time IRL without some kind of serious danger of permanent neurological damage or death. That's why anesthesiologists get paid the big bucks. See also:

Former Human posted:

That reminds me of the Moscow theater hostage crisis when the Spetsnaz pumped some kind of knockout gas (probably an aerosolized opiate) into the building and ended up killing a bunch of the hostages.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I wish stealth based games focused more on slipping past guards rather than knocking them out one by one.

Edit: I know that some do, I just wished it was more common, especially for Deus Ex/Dishonored type games.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
There needs to be somedrawback for non-lethal. The modern DX games are really weird about it, because it’s quieter, faster, and gives more XP. There’s no reason to ever use the lethal takedown option, mechanically speaking.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

counterfeitsaint posted:

I wish stealth based games focused more on slipping past guards rather than knocking them out one by one.

Edit: I know that some do, I just wished it was more common, especially for Deus Ex/Dishonored type games.

At least one Agent 47 is smart enough to disguise himself to blend into the scenery and make his kills look like innocent accidents, than to be a Solid Snake that looks and acts suspiciously out of place at all times.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Despite Thief 2014's myriad of flaws I liked how it encouraged ghosting through levels rather than knocking everyone out.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Palladium posted:

At least one Agent 47 is smart enough to disguise himself to blend into the scenery and make his kills look like innocent accidents, than to be a Solid Snake that looks and acts suspiciously out of place at all times.

I'm not really sure what is suspiciously out of place about a cardboard box that occasionally moves itself.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

There needs to be somedrawback for non-lethal. The modern DX games are really weird about it, because it’s quieter, faster, and gives more XP. There’s no reason to ever use the lethal takedown option, mechanically speaking.

Grab a dude and bust his arm, totally silent.

Stab him in the throat with your elbow blade? Every guard within 20 meters is coming to investigate that sound!

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I like MGS 1-4 because despite tranq options being extremely powerful, each guard is carefully placed so the player can ghost areas by using other means and even run through areas if you know how. Yet I appreciate that the game doesnt punish you for using the safer way of tranqing everyone.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Aside from a limited supply of tranqs, sure.

MGS5 was as good but it also made going Rambo a viable option

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

MGS Peace Walker and 5 let you hold up guys. They'd lay down with their hands behind their heads... and not move for the rest of the mission.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
mankind divided chat because there's nowhere else to post it:

I played mankind divided and just beat it. It was my first DX game. Now I'm going to go back and play human Revolution director's cut.

It took my roughly until 50% through the game before I was decent with the controls. And then I cheatengined unlimited praxis points and maxed my abilities and had some fun.

Now that I am decent with the controls I might replay it again with the abilities. I'll do a lot less sneaking and a lot more murdering.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I’m currently doing a Jensen: Murdernator run in MD too. It’s surprisingly replayable, although not as much as HR. Doing a game+ mode means you max out every upgrade slot by the end of Dubai.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I found the last third/quarter of MD incredibly tedious because of all the backtracking while the city is under martial law. If Icarus dash worked properly it would have been a breeze to get across the city via rooftop, but there are a lot of roofs that are arbitrarily inaccessible.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
So it turns out it's actually possible to get all the way to Hong-Kong before you actually ever talk to Alex face to face!
Sadly the game doesn't acknowledge this, which is a bit disappointing.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I found the last third/quarter of MD incredibly tedious because of all the backtracking while the city is under martial law. If Icarus dash worked properly it would have been a breeze to get across the city via rooftop, but there are a lot of roofs that are arbitrarily inaccessible.

I just hacked the security consoles near the turrets and turned on friendly fire, then plonked them down at check stations while I hid behind jersey barriers. Pretty sure Jensen is actually worse than Stalin with my playstyle.

The side quest with the murder investigation. Right at the end I thought I'd be a good man and drag the knocked out lady out of the sewer system because the detective looked like he couldn't lift his dick. So I pick her up and start dragging her and he throws a fit and comes after me. Had to leave them both unconscious in the sewer. Not sure if that affected me later on.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I've been playing Human Revolution. Usually if I break into people's apartments, I'll pull the fridge out of the cabinet set, turn it around and put it back in.

I did this once and got some sort of award that said "Bad Grab"

Any idea what triggered this ?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

It happens when you try to pick up an object when the level geometry doesn’t allow you to hold it directly in front of you, so you just drop it

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Not sure I would call that an award.

Also, you don't put the fridge in front of the door? Weirdo. It fits so perfectly.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Jeez, I'm all in favor of stealing everything I can from random civilians -- who isn't? -- but you guys sound like dicks.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Question... some time ago, some very clever person came up with a sort of "mod", though the word doesn't really fit here, for Thief 3 that unified the sections of the game to reduce the constant loading that was endemic to the console port of the game. Thief 3 is actually my favourite of the trilogy, which is an unpopular opinion, but I can understand whey people don't like it. Since Invisible War, which I also rather like apart from the loading, runs on the same engine, I thought perhaps that the same or some other clever person made a mod for that as well. Has anyone seen anything like that?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

To my knowledge, no. I haven't played Thief 3 so I can't say for sure if it does this, but DXIW is programmed to destroy the process and relaunch the game between every level, and I assume that this was done because of serious problems with how the game was made, i.e. there are probably horrible memory leaks that went unfixed. Not sure if it would even be feasible to make DXIW have larger levels without fixing this.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

aniviron posted:

To my knowledge, no. I haven't played Thief 3 so I can't say for sure if it does this, but DXIW is programmed to destroy the process and relaunch the game between every level, and I assume that this was done because of serious problems with how the game was made, i.e. there are probably horrible memory leaks that went unfixed. Not sure if it would even be feasible to make DXIW have larger levels without fixing this.

Google “invisible war visible upgrade.” Its a mod that fixes this issue along with offering widescreen support and hi res textures. It’s good and no one seems to be talking about it.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I looked that up- yeah, seems like a combination of the DXIW widescreen hex editor tweaks and the texture pack, both of which I knew about and are good, and a fix for the memory leak and loading problem. Assuming the last one works fully instead of just adding more duct tape to the problem, then there should be no reason you couldn't combine the levels. I know DXIW uses a version of the Unreal engine so it should be possible to do, assuming you can get an old copy of Unrealed and hook it up to work with the game.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

chaosapiant posted:

Google “invisible war visible upgrade.” Its a mod that fixes this issue along with offering widescreen support and hi res textures. It’s good and no one seems to be talking about it.

Everyone gave up on trying to play it yonks ago. I might give it a go again with this new mod. I did enjoy the one playthrough I managed back in the day but dunno how interesting it'll feel now.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

jojoinnit posted:

Everyone gave up on trying to play it yonks ago. I might give it a go again with this new mod. I did enjoy the one playthrough I managed back in the day but dunno how interesting it'll feel now.

I still unironically enjoy invisible war very much. It’s the worst Deus Ex game but still a fun game.

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

chaosapiant posted:

I still unironically enjoy visible war very much. It’s the worst Deus Ex game but still a fun game.

Took the words right out of my mouth keyboard. I also quite enjoyed Thief 3, but anything that came make either or both games better is always welcome. Thief 3 is also the game wherein happened the funniest thing that I have ever seen in gaming, so that helps me keep a special fondness for it that goes beyond just gameplay novelty.