Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Gobbeldygook posted:

My limited experience is elite AI matches have about a 10 second queue time. Never waste your time on coop difficulties below Elite. Lower difficulties have players who don't think they're good enough to beat elite AI.

That's not true for me, I do adept because that is the default setting, and if I'm playing against AI it's not about making it hard.

Had a 30 minute vs adept AI game on Tomb a few weeks ago or something, where I was Zeratul who I never play really, and our human team had 2 people either throwing or just really really bad. It was essentially 3v5. AI had the old Azmodan, and AI works pretty well for that really. It was a ride, and both teams had all keeps down before we finished with boss. A lot more work than I expected or wanted from an AI game, and a reminder of Azmodan's power, that he no longer has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
So what is the deal with AI XP? Is there a cap on it? Quick googling seems to mostly be people theorizing.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

skipThings posted:

Having to play with an AI instead of being able to leave the game, like in every other Moba, is just gross and really makes me want to stop playing this game

Yeah I really wish the game would at least open up the option to surrender if youre missing a player for like 5 minutes, especially if they poof early in the game.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

ToxicToast posted:

Yes I believe they do. In a custom game you can set each AI to its own level though. What I really want to know though is why the AI in an AI game is decent enough but the AI you get when someone leaves is 100% useless. The recent patches really have made the AI replacement of leavers worst and can be a nightmare at times of either straight up feeding or constantly warping back. Even their response to pings is worst than what it use to be.

The AI you fight in vs AI and the one you get as a teammate are not one and the same. I think Blizzard is afraid of replacing a DC with an Elite AI and then proceeding to dominate if you have a low MMR. So you get a much dumber AI which also seems to be broken. And then you ping the AI to follow you and they become even worse...

ToastyPotato posted:

So what is the deal with AI XP? Is there a cap on it? Quick googling seems to mostly be people theorizing.

There used to be daily cap on the amount of total XP you could earn by playing vs AI games. I think I hit it a couple times during my first week of beta when I constantly had a stimpack running and was playing A LOT. That was 3 years ago, don't know if that is still a thing.

The amount of XP you can earn in a single match of vs AI seems dependent on (1) how long the game lasted and (2) the amount of forts/keeps you destroyed. Maybe it is just 1, and 2 is really just a natural result of it. So generally you want push out every lane and at least hit level 20 before you win. If you're itching for that XP you'll learn to dislike Towers of Doom and Haunted Mines, because you usually can't do those things and long vs AI games on those maps tend to be miserable.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 22, 2018

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
That makes me wonder, what is the XP formula - is it straight 1 for 1 from in game XP? Are there modifiers if you win or lose? Do you get more or less for AI, QM, or HL/TL?

If it's the same across the board I'm really mad at myself for spending half a day getting hosed with Xul

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

That makes me wonder, what is the XP formula - is it straight 1 for 1 from in game XP? Are there modifiers if you win or lose? Do you get more or less for AI, QM, or HL/TL?

If it's the same across the board I'm really mad at myself for spending half a day getting hosed with Xul

I definitely think AI gives you less than QM/UD. QM and UD seem the same. ARAM is also basically the same per game as a QM/UD. HL has a 25% bonus.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Mierenneuker posted:

The amount of XP you can earn in a single match of vs AI seems dependent on (1) how long the game lasted and (2) the amount of forts/keeps you destroyed. Maybe it is just 1, and 2 is really just a natural result of it. So generally you want push out every lane and at least hit level 20 before you win. If you're itching for that XP you'll learn to dislike Towers of Doom and Haunted Mines, because you usually can't do those things and long vs AI games on those maps tend to be miserable.

I can't tell if structures actually matter, because progression XP seemed to match in-game XP surprisingly closely the few times I've checked, or if somebody one day discovered the XP mouseover and jumped to the conclusion that it had something to do with their progression XP. Ultimately it just leads to people melting down when we don't take the third keep, and they always wait until our minions are piled on the core and it's at half health to complain about it, naturally.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I think buildings count because I definitely noticed getting more XP when clearing all buildings than when not, but other stuff can easily make up for it. Like I mentioned, on ARAM mode I usually get the same XP as a regular game, despite that only being a single lane map.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

love too have a guy in our team show jimmy, beg the banner not to ban jimmy, then have the other team firstpick jimmy and wreck us by building a whole slow comp around him

just loving ban him already Jesus you are not getting him if you are not t1p1

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

love too have a guy in our team show jimmy, beg the banner not to ban jimmy, then have the other team firstpick jimmy and wreck us by building a whole slow comp around him

BUT IN HGC SOMETIMES HE FALLS TO THE #5 PICK :derp:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

made it to level 1000 :toot:

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

BUT IN HGC SOMETIMES HE FALLS TO THE #5 PICK :derp:
A significant factor is that Jimmy is 2000 gold and a right-click hero. Almost everyone playing a draft mode owns and can effectively play jimmy.

Gobbeldygook fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 22, 2018

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

hotdogs says he's only 82.9% popularity in HL :psyduck:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

ToastyPotato posted:

I think buildings count because I definitely noticed getting more XP when clearing all buildings than when not, but other stuff can easily make up for it. Like I mentioned, on ARAM mode I usually get the same XP as a regular game, despite that only being a single lane map.

They can set different XP values for brawls. For example: their first PvE brawl had a fixed value and gave as much XP for winning it as a regular 20 minute game, even if you beat it really fast.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Oh poo poo exp chat. Time to bust out my 1 year old data!

Sample size of only 31, but pretty clear results for something that shouldn't have much variance.

Personal EXP contributed doesn't matter, so TLV still not OP:

Time is a much better predictor of post-game EXP earned:

But unsurprisingly in-game team EXP matters most:

So yeah go for that last keep before you win, if it's feasible.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
Win/loss doesn't matter? I swear I get less XP in losses, though I guess it's possible I'm only remembering 10 minute stomps, as opposed to the 47 min. loss on Haunted Mines. I didn't even glance at the post game numbers on that thing.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Win/loss doesn't matter? I swear I get less XP in losses, though I guess it's possible I'm only remembering 10 minute stomps, as opposed to the 47 min. loss on Haunted Mines. I didn't even glance at the post game numbers on that thing.

Non-AI modes give you 50,000 bonus XP at the end of the match if you win.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Sorry I meant to say: those games are wins vs. beginner AI, except when my human allies chose non-beginner a couple times.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

So I played a bunch of QM tychus today. I honestly think he is really fun. This is what I've been using. Rip up warriors with the bigger they are, and do a lot of finishing with quarterback titan grenades.
https://psionic-storm.com/en/calculateur-de-talents/tychus/2-2-1-1-1-1-3/

I looked up grubby builds and such, along with hotslogs. I see a lot of grubby builds using master assassin. From what I read I think it helps odin, which is good. The bonus seems so marginal until you get the quest done though. Is it what most people use?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
It's decent in QM when there are a lot of deaths and not necessarily a warrior on the enemy team.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
there needs to be a "whisper team" feature for qm so that i dont have to individually message every person in a 5 man group (making fun of them) when they lose to my pathetic solo abathur in qm

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Relin posted:

there needs to be a "whisper team" feature for qm so that i dont have to individually message every person in a 5 man group (making fun of them) when they lose to my pathetic solo abathur in qm

You can't do it through the scorecard, how are you doing it? Just manually typing /w <name>?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Maybe eight months back we asked around and we came to the decision that the five safest heroes to know how to play were:

Valla
Rehgar
ETC
Nazeebo
Sonya

I think that's certainly changed. These days it looks more like:

Fenix
Deckard
Muradin
Jaina
Dehaka

You can totally sub yrel for dehaka, I just think she's a little harder to play.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
Yeah, from watching HGC and playing him, I just don't think ETC has the durability for his role right now. He was always kind of a lightweight tank, and he just seems to get blown up more and more as they re-work assassins and keep adding new good ones.

It's a shame, because I really playing him, but he just isn't viable, particularly at higher levels.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
He's played a decent amount in HGC but I like him better as a second tank in the offlane.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

No Wave posted:

He's played a decent amount in HGC but I like him better as a second tank in the offlane.

He doesn't have the waveclear to do offlane, does he? Powerslide and Face Melt don't light the world on fire damage-wise, and he doesn't have the pure damage output to threaten someone else 1v1. I've always thought of him as an offtank or part of a pair, providing CC and peel when needed.

HGC seems to take Stage Dive a lot, which has puzzled me. I get that the global is nice, but other heroes do it better, and his biggest upside is a good ol' Mosh Pit at the right time. He's just a lovely Dehaka with Stage Dive - less HP, less damage, minimal waveclear, and a global that comes up less often.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Can someone who's played Warcraft help explain this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo7XPvwRgG8

With no context, seems like Jaina's dad was killed at sea and now Jaina is going to become a bad-rear end pirate bitch

I know she was involved in nuking a town, but I had to abandon googling because uhhh

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

BrianBoitano posted:

With no context, seems like Jaina's dad was killed at sea and now Jaina is going to become a bad-rear end pirate bitch

I know she was involved in nuking a town, but I had to abandon googling because uhhh

Jainas dad ran one of the alliance states, the seafaring one, and at one point while thrall was rallying the horde to go west to kalimdor (because medivh told him to) jainas dad captured him. Jaina helped him break free and in the process he ganked her dad

Edit: no I was misremembering the timing. He came to Kalimdor to attack the horde after the events of WC3 and took over theramore as his base. Jaina tried to reason with him, failed, then helped the horde defend against him and rexxar ganked him

DAD LOST MY IPOD fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 23, 2018

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Wasn't her dad also like, really racist against Orcs and even the High Elves?

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

BrianBoitano posted:

Jaina's dad, Daelin, lost his best friend and oldest son to orcs in the second war.

In the third war Jaina fled to Kalimdor and made peace with the orcs to fight demons.

Daelin eventually followed and attacked the orcs, Jain stood aside and let the orcs win to maintain the peace.

Jaina's city eventually got fantasy-nuked by the orcs which really ticked her off.

The Alliance and Horde eventually united again to fight demons again but the Horde retreated from battle letting the demons overrun the Alliance's position, Varian died buying time for the Alliance to escape.

Jaina buggered off to fight demons on her own rather than work with the Horde in any capacity.

After the demons were defeated, she returned to her homeland of Kul Tiras to see what was up. They don't like her for betraying Daelin.

Jaina goes and decides to raise her father's flagship in the video to fight the Horde.

McTimmy fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jul 23, 2018

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

ToastyPotato posted:

that was garithos, some rando that Kael’thas served for a while

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

ToastyPotato posted:

Just orcs as far as I know.

Basically, after WC2 ended, the orcs demon power was used up and they turned into PTSD-riddled, barely functional drudges. Jaina's dad, Daelin, called for them to be exterminated, but was voted down. Eventually WC3 happens, Thrall inspires the orcs & leads them to the promised land (aka that shithole Orgrimmar). But Daelin shouts "MY TIME IS NOW" and follows them literally across the world for the sake of murder.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

McTimmy posted:

Jaina's dad, Daelin lost his best friend and oldest son to orcs in the second war.

In the third war Jain fled to Kalimdor and made peace with the orcs to fight demons.

Daelin eventually followed and attacked the orcs, Jain stood aside and let the orcs win to maintain the peace.

Jaina's city eventually got fantasy-nuked by the orcs which really ticked her off.

The Alliance and Horde eventually united again to fight demons again but the Horde retreated from battle letting the demons overrun the Alliance's position, Varian died buying time for the Alliance to escape.

Jaina buggered off to fight demons on her own rather than work with the Horde in any capacity.

After the demons were defeated she returned to her homeland of Kul Tiras to see what was up. They don't like her for betraying Daelin.

Jaina goes and decides to raise her father's flagship in the video to fight the Horde.

Forgot the part where the Horde used Dalaran (the city that she was part of the ruling council of) to execute a sneak attack on Alliance territory and steal a powerful artifact, but otherwise solid.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I think the fair thing to mention in that is that Jaina was friendly with Thrall, but then Thrall left and gave the Horde to Garrosh, who might as well be Orc Hitler. Garrosh murdered on of the only other person who could have rightfully ruled, and then proceeded to wage war against everyone around him. There were plenty of people who weren't happy with his leadership, and there was secession and rebellion within the Horde until he eventually got his rear end kicked. Vol'Jin, a good troll, was leader for like a minute, and then he died. Now Slyvanas is leader, and she is most definitely not a good person. Unless she has changed recently.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Not really. She's still almost comically evil and we can't wait to find out how she's totally not actually responsible for burning down Teldrassil tomorrow in whatever bait and switch Blizzard comes up with.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I wonder if there's anyone out there who picked Horde for the Echoes of Alterac event, decided to learn about the lore, and got immediate buyer's remorse when they read "Garrosh nuked a city, tried to steal a device to control a dead god's evil corpse, and when that fell through he stole the god's heart instead."

All while using tactics that would get the non-Orcs in his army killed while he pulled in orcs who never abandoned the old Horde's bloodlust. Garrosh is kind of a poorly written character because he wasn't always evil, but when they committed to it, they fuckin' committed.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

when you first meet garrosh his one trait is that he’s kind of a sadsack who feels bad about his dad being bloodlusty. then one expac later he’s bloodthirsty as hell

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
"My dad was a horrible bloodthirsty monster. This sucks."
"No Garrosh, your dad was a hero."
"You mean being a horrible bloodthirsty monster is a good thing?"
"That's not what I-"
"THANKS THRALL!" (runs off to kill everyone without green skin)

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

But he showed a touch of remorse a second before he died right? All good boyo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

BrianBoitano posted:

But he showed a touch of remorse a second before he died right? All good boyo.

Actually no, Garrosh explicitly never showed a shred of remorse for what he did.

EDIT: Oh, you meant Grom. In fairness, I believe literally everyone pointed out to Garrosh that following in Grom's footsteps was a bad idea, Garrosh just never listened.