Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Rondette posted:

And Yeah, Faruq is great, does he write those ...things..himself?

I'm sure they have writers writing all the intros, but his delivery on them is pretty flawless and fun. They might get some help on them from the teams too of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

We'll be fine as long as we stay inside the arena.

Bronco: :allears:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Grand Fromage posted:

We'll be fine as long as we stay inside the arena.

Bronco: :allears:

I've always loved Inertia Labs bots since the original series

No one else makes flippers that are anywhere near as fun to watch

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jul 18, 2018

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I can just picture the team being like "okay, it flipped upside down, but it's fine, we can just recover it afterwaaaaaaaoooohhh MY GOD!"

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Hopefully the drones they use are really cheap so no-one cares.
I think it was Robot Wars years ago where a team got angry as they threw in the towel after their bot died but their opponent kept going and destroyed some really expensive parts unnecessarily. I think this season or last we had a bot get disemboweled and you can see the guys poo poo a brick and scream they gave up when their opponent headed in to keep going.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Gromit posted:

I think this season or last we had a bot get disemboweled and you can see the guys poo poo a brick and scream they gave up when their opponent headed in to keep going.

Yeah I think that was against Tombstone and the driver was chuckling and telling them to stop moving so they'd be counted out. If you keep trying to get away then the fight is still going so .... :black101:

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah I think that was against Tombstone and the driver was chuckling and telling them to stop moving so they'd be counted out. If you keep trying to get away then the fight is still going so .... :black101:

It's hard to tell if Ray was being merciful, or just trying to avoid damaging himself. (Tombstone's frame was compromised prior to that fight, as I recall, and he didn't have a spare)

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I think he was being nice, he seems like generally a nice guy when he isn't doing his bad guy act. it would also be a huge dick move since they can't replace it if he broke it

also the barebone bot underneath would probably fold like tinfoil against tombstone's weapon so idk if it would've been harmful to itself

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gromit posted:

Hopefully the drones they use are really cheap so no-one cares.
I think it was Robot Wars years ago where a team got angry as they threw in the towel after their bot died but their opponent kept going and destroyed some really expensive parts unnecessarily. I think this season or last we had a bot get disemboweled and you can see the guys poo poo a brick and scream they gave up when their opponent headed in to keep going.

There are a lot more shots this year of teams throwing in the towel to keep their opponents from annihilating them before they get counted out. I dunno if that's happening more often because of the more-rigorous tournament schedule or it was always happening and it's just an editing choice.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Our local goon expert said that they had ridiculously quick turnarounds and essentially last minute matchup assignments. So I'd guess it's the format. So I'd also expect it to calm down a bit as we get back into brackets in a couple weeks.

Gotta say though, it's really cool to see how they patch up the bots and retool them for their next enemy bots. I don't think we got quite as much of that in previous years. I'd also postulate that since the format lets more teams compete, the competitive moxie in the workshop is stronger than it used to be.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I just saw the match between Warhead (in T-Rex configuration) vs Sharkoprion.

That was a really one-sided match, but it was entertaining, and the Sharkbot dude was hilarious in the post-match meetup between teams.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

PostNouveau posted:

There are a lot more shots this year of teams throwing in the towel to keep their opponents from annihilating them.. .

There is no throwing in the towel. You can stop moving and wait for the 10 count but there is no rule against contact during the count.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

wormil posted:

There is no throwing in the towel. You can stop moving and wait for the 10 count but there is no rule against contact during the count.

Yeah, but you can yell over to the other team "hey we're done don't hit us anymore" and hope they don't hit you anymore.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

I just saw the match between Warhead (in T-Rex configuration) vs Sharkoprion.

That was a really one-sided match, but it was entertaining, and the Sharkbot dude was hilarious in the post-match meetup between teams.

Yeah that bot has a fantastic design.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jul 22, 2018

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Tunicate posted:

Yeah that bot has a fantastic design.

Yeah I am certain they put that fight on to have a shark fighting a dinosaur, and it was :krad:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCoCy-RDE48

Some "botopys" of losers

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

And the episode 9 bonus fight, for those without science channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIko0ccmgQM

:drat: thats some power in that cannon.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Wow Bite Force really hosed Hypershock up good

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Great Beer posted:

... for those without science channel.

I don't, so thanks. I love the name, mecharampage. I don't know why.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciYV9Iu0CqA

Early "botopsy" report from Minotaur and other bots. "We always knew it was going to be an expensive fight."

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
Team Vanquish takes a lesson from Mike Tyson: "Everybody has a plan until they get hit."

Edit: Or the more classical Moltke: "No battle plan survives contact with the enemy."

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
The hit I was thinking of was from Icewave at 3:20 in that botopsy video. Guts on the field!

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Their immediate LOL NOPE reaction at the end of the battle was pretty priceless.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Gemini with an all time bad driving/strat combo right there

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

That gigabyte fight looked savage.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
i need to see the full gigabyte fight. also loving laffo Valkyrie

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Well here's some of the Hypothermia vs. Valkyrie fight. Looks like a different spinner than the Lock-Jaw fight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJKzZKGtdfc

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

logikv9 posted:

i need to see the full gigabyte fight. also loving laffo Valkyrie

RIP Spirit of Boston

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
That tournament was a cool idea. It seems like it wasn't really the last chance for losers they promoted it as because some of them weren't even doing that badly overall. One of them was even undefeated. I was expecting it to be the contestants with no wins.

Lockjaw seemed to win through pure driving skill and having a second robot to swap in when one gets too damaged. It certainly looks like those lifting arms work against it and keep the opponent away from the spinner. It doesn't actually connect with the spinner very often.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah that was a pretty satisfying mini tournament with some actual stakes for the winner. Some real nice carnage as well. :getin:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

That tournament was a cool idea. It seems like it wasn't really the last chance for losers they promoted it as because some of them weren't even doing that badly overall. One of them was even undefeated. I was expecting it to be the contestants with no wins.

Lockjaw seemed to win through pure driving skill and having a second robot to swap in when one gets too damaged. It certainly looks like those lifting arms work against it and keep the opponent away from the spinner. It doesn't actually connect with the spinner very often.

Lockjaw's current design is derivative in a bad way and that's been the problem plaguing it ever since the re-design. It's just Endgame but worse in almost every way.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

PostNouveau posted:

That one undefeated one had only been in one match, though, and I don't think it was even televised. I do think its only chance of making it to the finals was winning the Desperado tournament. It seems rather unfair that the competitors don't all get the same number of matches in the fight card stage.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

MiddleOne posted:

Lockjaw's current design is derivative in a bad way and that's been the problem plaguing it ever since the re-design. It's just Endgame but worse in almost every way.

Its Witch Doctors paint job on last seasons Hypershock. It's better than either of them so far but it's not a visually interesting robot.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Pakled posted:

That one undefeated one had only been in one match, though, and I don't think it was even televised. I do think its only chance of making it to the finals was winning the Desperado tournament. It seems rather unfair that the competitors don't all get the same number of matches in the fight card stage.

I doubt they're being that unfair. I wonder if that team missed some fights from not being able to repair fast enough.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

I absolutely love how intense the driver is, though.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Lockjaw looks good but the spinner is too far back.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

If it pleases the court:

https://www.reddit.com/r/battlebots/comments/94f67t/comment/e3m2mi6

Big table of win, loss, and strength of schedule/victory. Things of interest: the only robots to have less than two fights at this time are Vanquish (rip), tantrum, and Warhead. Of the undefeated robots, Sawblaze has had the lowest SOS and despite being 3 and 0 has the third lowest SOS in the entire tournament. Lowest SOS is Double Dutch. The highest is Reality, followed closely by Blacksmith.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I haven’t seen all of season 3 just yet... on episode 6 or 7 at the moment, so I’m not reading the thread. Just wanted to throw this out that my son’s favorite Battlebot is Tombstone, and I just found out that I worked at the same place as the dude who made him. When I told my son, and he basically lost his poo poo.

Apparently, every year for the bring your kid to work day, Ray Billings puts Tombstone on display for everyone to check out, and we got to meet him a couple months ago while season 3 was still airing. Suuuuuper nice dude, very humble and it’s fantastic what he’s done. My kid even got to touch the Giant Nut, which spawned numerous jokes. It’s something he’s going to remember forever, which is awesome. He didn’t even know what to say to Ray because of how starstruck he was. It was awesome.

We’re both rooting for him to win this season. Hopefully we’ll finish watching it this week.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Aug 5, 2018

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

wormil posted:

Lockjaw looks good but the spinner is too far back.

Oh it looks fantastic. Which is why I'm so sad to see it lose all the time. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Pakled posted:

Kraken held up surprisingly well and I want to see more of it.

• Locked thread