Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DropShadow posted:

Welp, just impulse purchased a '95 XJ on eBay while driving home from a weekend trip. I bid in the last minute and only raised the bid $50. Expected to get outbid, but nope. Accidentally won.

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=173408203333&

Scrolling through the photos at high speed on my phone is trippy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

I seem to have infected my dad with my mental illness, as after leaving my BX at his place he fell in love with it and has ended up buying himself a CX GTi Turbo 2, thus resoundingly one-upping me at my own game. Thanks, dad:

(I REALLY need to replace that missing wheel trim but they are extremely rare at this point :( )

Then, a friend of his arrived in one of my favourite Ferraris:

Grakkus fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jul 23, 2018

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Having been in this exact car, you have most definitely been outdone.

This thing was basically private jet level of luxury on the roads, myself and a few friends fell completely in love with it and all its odd little eccentricities.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The French at that time really knew how to make a great station wagon, with the CX and 505

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Grakkus posted:

I seem to have infected my dad with my mental illness, as after leaving my BX at his place he fell in love with it and has ended up buying himself a CX GTi Turbo 2, thus resoundingly one-upping me at my own game. Thanks, dad:

It appears as though your dad bought a space ship. A Cool Dad.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Looking at a Citroen even on the screen is a weird as hell experience. On one hand I think who the hell would buy one of those? On the other I am left thinking it is such a weird car it is cool.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Scrolling through the photos at high speed on my phone is trippy

(fixed a couple frames)

DropShadow fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jul 23, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Yesssssssssssssss!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Looking at a Citroen even on the screen is a weird as hell experience. On one hand I think who the hell would buy one of those? On the other I am left thinking it is such a weird car it is cool.

Citroen's have been weird since forever this is partly why they're adored. They're the one manufacturer out there that's willing to do completely off the wall 'fun' looking cars and put them into production. (though their current range is a bit naff imo).

Grakkus, does your dad's have the vertical cylinder speedo, rev counter and single spoked steering wheel? Stereo down in the centre console?

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Citroen's have been weird since forever this is partly why they're adored. They're the one manufacturer out there that's willing to do completely off the wall 'fun' looking cars and put them into production. (though their current range is a bit naff imo).

Grakkus, does your dad's have the vertical cylinder speedo, rev counter and single spoked steering wheel? Stereo down in the centre console?

Exactly, Citroen was all about trying new things and different approaches to standard solutions, which is why they look and behave in such a unique way. My dad says he needed a solid hour to learn how to drive the CX properly between the button-actuated hydraulic brakes, the self-centering DIRAVI steering and the satellite switchgear around the wheel, but once he was used to it it felt great.

His car is a series 2 so it has conventional gauges, but it does have the single-spoke wheel (so you can see the instrument cluster while rotating the wheel) and the stereo between the seats:

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

DoLittle posted:

Yesterday we bought a Renault Twingo supermini for wife's commute. Registered late 2016 with ~ 10k miles on the clock. Four year/ 60k mile warranty. Mildly interesting technically because it is RWD and rear engine. Just a 1.0 three cylinder though, so certainly not sporty. The weight is just 940 kg (2070 lbs) so it is not too bad in below highway speeds.

I had no idea these existed. That is awesome! It's kind of like a French Kei car.

Have any more pictures?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Whatever happened to Comrade Flynn? he always had some sweet rides

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

BoyBlunder posted:

Things went downhill after:

Comrade Flynn posted:

I'm not trying to be mean, but why? It's not fast, not really comfortable, no technology, will kill you in a crash, and gets horrible mileage. Is this just one of the memes this forum goes through were awful cars are so bad people lust over them (see: dumb station wagons).

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Rip he refused to do a burnout and then he died

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Let that be a lesson to all

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Bape Culture posted:

Oh poor ol Flynn, thought of awd clutches and died.

Cage fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 23, 2018

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Ah he was the guy that was railing against all old cars because they didn't have poo poo like bluetooth and mod cons and didn't understand what style or cool was...

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

BoyBlunder posted:

I followed his purchase of an Integrale Evo 1 on BaT and remain pretty jealous.
Somewhat ironic, in light of that post.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Ah he was the guy that was railing against all old cars because they didn't have poo poo like bluetooth and mod cons and didn't understand what style or cool was...

He also said "i do AWD burnouts at will" and then refused to prove it.

Comrade Flynn posted:

I do AWD burnouts at will.

Tremek posted:

So unlike Photoshop McGee above, some of us know how to do real burnouts with foot-wide tires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNpfGuE7pns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLP1O2chpbk

YOUR MOVE SHITLORD

And that's where the thread title comes from :eng101:

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

McTinkerson posted:

I had no idea these existed. That is awesome! It's kind of like a French Kei car.

Have any more pictures?

Here's a couple more pictures. The engine is located below the dog placed in the trunk for scale.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

These are so loving cool. I need to own a DS or a derivative of the DS sometime.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Wanted a truck to tow a boat I haven't bought yet, and also will now need a second car that can fit three kids for reasonably long trips due to the fact that I continue to reproduce. Got a 2007 GX470 (4runner, basically E: Not at all, actually. Thanks BlackMK4). Kind of a sweet ride, actually. Very non-AI. But I will be able to keep the m3 in the garage for the winter now at least.

gvibes fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jul 24, 2018

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
NICE, also, that is a J120 Land Cruiser Prado, not a 4Runner, great truck!

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
A 4Runner is also a Land Cruiser Prado (and has shared its chassis with the Prado since the 3rd gen 4Runner).

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
DropShadow, I'm curious to know how tight the clutch is on that automatic. Also, how that high quality leather compares directly with vinyl.

(that page is a goldmine of lovely sales tactics). Nice jeep!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Q_res posted:

A 4Runner is also a Land Cruiser Prado (and has shared its chassis with the Prado since the 3rd gen 4Runner).

They share a chassis but not a ton more, whereas his truck is literally a rebadged Prado

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Beverly Cleavage posted:

DropShadow, I'm curious to know how tight the clutch is on that automatic. Also, how that high quality leather compares directly with vinyl.

(that page is a goldmine of lovely sales tactics). Nice jeep!

Right?! I figure it's 50/50 chance that it's decent. It's in Maryland, I'm in Minnesota and probably won't actually lay eyes on it for a while. I'm excited but I'm keeping my expectations low.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Grakkus posted:

(I REALLY need to replace that missing wheel trim but they are extremely rare at this point :( )

Then, a friend of his arrived in one of my favourite Ferraris:

all of the cars in this post are excellent but one day I will own a clean as hell BX like that, awesome. Your dad did good too

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

kimbo305 posted:

I followed his purchase of an Integrale Evo 1 on BaT and remain pretty jealous.
Somewhat ironic, in light of that post.

He also recently bought a stupidly mint Mk IV Supra, I don't really recall him railing against old cars though.

Nice citroens though, Grakkusdad & Grakkus.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

DoLittle posted:

Here's a couple more pictures. The engine is located below the dog placed in the trunk for scale.

It would appear as though someone stole your dog's legs and replaced them with the legs of a smaller dog. It's like a kei-dog :3:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

McTinkerson posted:

They brap best while idling fire:
https://www.facebook.com/rotarytechrallycross/videos/246770675914075/ (Hats off to KaptainBallistic for sharing this one)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QUBK8FLjTA

Juuuuust a tiny bit rich.

DoLittle posted:

Yesterday we bought a Renault Twingo supermini for wife's commute. Registered late 2016 with ~ 10k miles on the clock. Four year/ 60k mile warranty. Mildly interesting technically because it is RWD and rear engine. Just a 1.0 three cylinder though, so certainly not sporty. The weight is just 940 kg (2070 lbs) so it is not too bad in below highway speeds.

Renault with an engine in the back, eh?
You know what you must do.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_5_Turbo

Grakkus posted:

Exactly, Citroen was all about trying new things and different approaches to standard solutions, which is why they look and behave in such a unique way. My dad says he needed a solid hour to learn how to drive the CX properly between the button-actuated hydraulic brakes, the self-centering DIRAVI steering and the satellite switchgear around the wheel, but once he was used to it it felt great.

His car is a series 2 so it has conventional gauges, but it does have the single-spoke wheel (so you can see the instrument cluster while rotating the wheel) and the stereo between the seats:

Good lord I need one of these. I'm guessing that they are rare, expensive, and difficult to repair in the US, though, aren't they?

gvibes posted:

Wanted a truck to tow a boat I haven't bought yet, and also will now need a second car that can fit three kids for reasonably long trips due to the fact that I continue to reproduce. Got a 2007 GX470 (4runner, basically E: Not at all, actually. Thanks BlackMK4). Kind of a sweet ride, actually. Very non-AI. But I will be able to keep the m3 in the garage for the winter now at least.

I'm considering one of these myself, or an LX or 4Runner, for doing truck things that require more interior storage than my Crown Vic will provide. A bit more towing capacity, too.
The general chat thread pointed me towards the GX/LX, since they are literally Land Cruisers, but tend to be cheaper yet also more well-maintained, not to mention leather, power everything, etc. V8 is a bit thirsty, which is why I'm also considering the V6 4Runnner (3rd or 4th gen - I don't like the styling on the current ones, especially that snout, and can't afford them anyway...)

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Darchangel posted:

I'm considering one of these myself, or an LX or 4Runner, for doing truck things that require more interior storage than my Crown Vic will provide. A bit more towing capacity, too.
The general chat thread pointed me towards the GX/LX, since they are literally Land Cruisers, but tend to be cheaper yet also more well-maintained, not to mention leather, power everything, etc. V8 is a bit thirsty, which is why I'm also considering the V6 4Runnner (3rd or 4th gen - I don't like the styling on the current ones, especially that snout, and can't afford them anyway...)
Yeah, it's thirsty.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Darchangel posted:

Good lord I need one of these. I'm guessing that they are rare, expensive, and difficult to repair in the US, though, aren't they?

You want the previous version because it has the wacky as gently caress cylindrical gauges... (which you sadly can't make out in my photo)

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Darchangel posted:

If we’re being semi-pedantic the 120/150 platforms are separate and distinct from both the 100 and 200 platforms, and while Prados/4th gen 4runners/GX470s are great BOF SUVs they’re 1st cousins to LCs and not actually LCs.

To wit, the 100 (and many gens before the 100) were built at ARACO/Yoshiwara plant in Toyota City which has long been considered Toyota’s best manufacturing facility from a QRD standpoint.

So the manufacturing processes are different, design and durability constraints are different (LCs are built for a 20 year service target, which isn’t to say GXs etc can’t or won’t do that - of course they can) but overall the standards for 100/200 LCs in this context are higher than the GX/4R.

Tldr marketing for the LC Prados abroad was shrewd but they’re not LCs much in he same way an M-Sport car isn’t an M-car, etc. It doesn’t diminish them being good cars, but they’re not equivalent.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Also 3rd gen 4runners are loving stout vehicles. My 2000 w 216k miles runs like a champ with only basic maintenance. And I average like 20mpg mixed driving.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

You want the previous version because it has the wacky as gently caress cylindrical gauges... (which you sadly can't make out in my photo)

Holy poo poo that interior rules - whats the year and model?

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Voltage posted:

Holy poo poo that interior rules - whats the year and model?

the OG citroen CX had this, 1974-mid eighties. In all its glory at this rare good interactive 'brochure' of a car sadly out of production for decades http://www.citroenorigins.co.uk/en/cars/cx

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Darchangel posted:

Renault with an engine in the back, eh?
You know what you must do.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_5_Turbo

Unfortunately they have not imported the turbo models of the latest Twingo here, just the NA base model. And Renault has not made a proper Renault Sport version like the made of the earlier Twingos. But a cheap runabout it is.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

DoLittle posted:

Unfortunately they have not imported the turbo models of the latest Twingo here, just the NA base model. And Renault has not made a proper Renault Sport version like the made of the earlier Twingos. But a cheap runabout it is.

Oh, the things I'd do for a semi-decent R5 Turbo. Not going to own one until I'm too old to enjoy it probably, this flaky/rusty (?) homologation model was auctioned for £55k earlier this year

The clio v6 was a cool spiritual successor while it lasted too, don't think any super powerful renault minis are left now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Old Binsby posted:

The clio v6 was a cool spiritual successor while it lasted too, don't think any super powerful renault minis are left now

I know a guy with one, a bunch of us rented a sprint track for the day to hoon cars around. He rolled up in the Clio, drove round the track twice and then parked it up for the rest of the day. :/