Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Awesome! posted:

you probably could. although the last posted catacomb kids update is from like 3 months ago while it looks like qud has received quite a few updates in that time which would make me much more comfortable buying it in early access if i didnt already have it.

Dev hasn't stopped though, see: https://www.twitch.tv/fourbitfriday/videos/all

Like I said, not defending the speed, but he's not a vanishing dev, and it's literally a one man show with a slow update pace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yeah i didnt say hes abandoned it but its exactly the kind of thing i am wary of in early access. i actually had it on my wishlist for like a year or something but it got removed in a purge.

i am watching this guy play vagante and it looks cool but maybe too big for this style of roguelike platformer? the first caves zone was rather large and im not sure how excited i would be to go through that every time i died. he is moving very slowly though.

also the proc-gen gave him a section where he had no option but to jump up from underwater through some bats and he just had to take a bunch of damage which would annoy me a lot.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

My one gripe with deathstate is that I wish the hard mode switches were a little more complicated. They're just there. You touch them and it's like shooting yourself in the dick each time with the way the game gets harder, but there's no difference to the game progression or the game over screen unless you press them all.

Could really be improved by some kind of an extra challenge needed to just activate them, and some kind of reason to still go for them even if you've missed one.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

resistentialism posted:

it's like shooting yourself in the dick each time
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Roguelikes - it's like shooting yourself in the dick each time

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Jedit posted:

I'm closer to an ADOM win than I have been on forever. Got four Orbs and gearing up to take on the Unreal Caves. My only concern is that I'm a bit low level - only 34 - due to my ridiculous speed. Got stat drained a fair amount part clearing a Greater Undead Vault, but I have access to morgia and the fact I can survive partially clearing a GUV gives confidence.

So let's see how I gently caress up this time.

My fav ADOM YASD was when I had this absolutely stacked beastmaster just ripping through everything, was aiming for an ultra. Hit a titan vault and start chewing through them when suddenly, I'm starting to take chunks of damage and am surrounded. I mouse over one of the dudes and that's when I found out that there's also GREATER titans.
I'd love to play ADOM again but every time I've started up relatively recently it just seems way more overwhelming with all the stuff they added. I basically had a preset start for all the classes I played based on if they had healing, but not even sure if that's valid anymore. Also from what I remember, 34 isn't even that low if you're not going for an ultra.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

resistentialism posted:

My one gripe with deathstate is that I wish the hard mode switches were a little more complicated. They're just there. You touch them and it's like shooting yourself in the dick each time with the way the game gets harder, but there's no difference to the game progression or the game over screen unless you press them all.

Could really be improved by some kind of an extra challenge needed to just activate them, and some kind of reason to still go for them even if you've missed one.

There’s not any reason why you would miss one if you were looking for them, and they make a fun scale of ascending difficulty. It’s pretty much the same as boss souls in Dead Cells or ascension in Slay the Spire, there’s not really any reason to ascend except pushing yourself.

I could never beat it with two switches active. 1 active was pretty tough. I can only imagine how nuts 3 is. Deathstate is a solid game that I would recommend but it’s a little sluggish for me, some of the level sets just have absolutely too many enemies and you do need to methodically clean them out or you’ll get overwhelmed.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

goferchan posted:

gonna start calling Deathstate "Nuclear Stoned" . Thanks again all for the recs, can't believe I never heard of this game but it is perfect for Sunday Afternooon Gaming . Wish it were on Switch so I could play it in a hammock

Glad to hear you're enjoying it so far! Wonder what your favorite character is going to be.

StrixNebulosa posted:

:toot:

I know we had a goon who worked on it in here a while back, so it's technically goon-made as well. Deathstate's so good. :D

Wait really? poo poo, for the longest time, I felt like the only person who had ever heard of the game.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

looks like golden krone hotel got its 'final' update yesterday where the dev considers it fully complete on the content front and from now on will only do bugfixes, which is neat. it's on sale currently for 50% off, too.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The gungeon update got me looking for a better roguelite again so I tried synthetik. Seems good to me!

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
It feels less feature rich but the shooting is awesome

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

dyzzy posted:

It feels less feature tich but the shooting is awesome

It's still being worked on too, with a major patch incoming/in public beta that adds a whole lot more rooms, another weapon, some more rare weapon variants, and some other minor additions/changes.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I really love deathstate and i wish it had got the attention Gungeon has got because I think Deathstate is a much better game, and they got their big content update out MUCH faster. It understands both difficulty and bullet hell games much better than Gungeon.

i've yet to unlock the skeleton king character, i've gotten to the boss on desolation level 3 and i think i got hosed over by not knowing he has some kind of second stage he doesnt normally have. it's been a while.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I got the 360 noscope sniper rifle in my last Synthetik run. I would have had no clue how that worked if someone here hadn't spoiled it, but since they did I had a lot of fun spinning around and then trying to pin a dude before the buff wore off. The damage that thing puts out is nuts.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Palladium posted:

IMO, every Doom 2 sequel missed the point of Doom entirely: it's all about putting you in the midst of hundreds of monsters all trying to kill you at the same time

internal screaming

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I got the 360 noscope sniper rifle in my last Synthetik run. I would have had no clue how that worked if someone here hadn't spoiled it, but since they did I had a lot of fun spinning around and then trying to pin a dude before the buff wore off. The damage that thing puts out is nuts.

It adds a counter by your cursor that counts how many degrees you've rotated recently! And when you hit 360, it turns (I think) bright orange.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

victrix posted:

Shall we then criticize Caves of Qud? :colbert:

caves of qud is a bad example imo, it was a hobby project that became an abandoned project that became an early access project that has been churning out improvements and adding new content at what honestly seems to me like a relatively blistering pace

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I just blindly bought Enter the Gungeon for five bux, hope it doesn't suck too much.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Have fun! I recommend starting with the hunter or marine first. The pilot and convicts' weapons are a little inaccurate.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Quicksilver6 posted:

Have fun! I recommend starting with the hunter or marine first. The pilot and convicts' weapons are a little inaccurate.

Marine or Pilot to me.

Pilot can potentially open every chest he encounters and the shop items are cheaper so you can get very strong very fast.

Marine was literally the first person I cleared the dungeon with being able to shoot straight right away does help a great deal.

Most people who post about gungeon have sunk a considerable amount of time into a version you wont see Lobster so just enjoy with a fresh mind.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Balls now Deathstate is on my to buy list.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

:tipshat:

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Palladium posted:

IMO, every Doom 2 sequel missed the point of Doom entirely: it's all about putting you in the midst of hundreds of monsters all trying to kill you at the same time

this is the only Doom 2 sequel that matters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt8kGiFBe_I

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I would also like to confirm Deathstate owns, also has the best Soundblaster 16 soundtrack I've heard in decades

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Started my first run of Enter the Gungeon, beat the Gull Gatling easily, but I didn't realize at the time that I had to talk with the red thingie to save, so I lost my save when I quit :confuoot:

Second run, defeated the Bullet King and looking forward to get deeper. So far so good, I like how clean the invincibility frames of your roll feel whenever you dodge something, the gameplay seems to be not too slow or too fast for someone with arthritic old man reflexes like me.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

golden krone hotel is probably one of the more unique and interesting roguelikes i've ever played in terms of the strategy used to plot out what you're going to do

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Glad to hear you're enjoying it so far! Wonder what your favorite character is going to be.

Got my first win with scientist (got a very clutch hot blooded potion VS the final boss) and now I'm trying out the Eye, I really like him

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Johnny Joestar posted:

golden krone hotel is probably one of the more unique and interesting roguelikes i've ever played in terms of the strategy used to plot out what you're going to do

How so?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's referred to as a 'coffee-break roguelike', which can mean a variety of things but in this case it's not a massively huge and complex game that takes forever. it's a mix of oldschool roguelike aspects like unidentified potions and a hunger clock and whatnot with a bunch of simplified aspects. like, there's no actual inventory to open, all your potions and grimoires are displayed on the screen for you to click on, and when you get new gear off of the floor it's either as good as or worse than what you have on so you sell it or it's better so you automatically equip it.

that all probably sounds boring at first, but a lot of the actual gameplay is made interesting by the underlying mechanics at play at any given moment. one of the biggest aspects of it is that your character is infected with the vampire curse. there's a bar which steadily fills over time and, when full, will transform you into a vampire. this is important to note because vampires are the more melee-focused fighters that are absolute crap at spellcasting, in most cases being unable to read grimoires to learn new spells or even cast spells at all barring specific demonic ones, while humans are a bit more magic-focused and not as durable. a further tradeoff is that vampires have to drink blood to heal, which can spawn as puddles when killing things or hurting them, while humans can naturally regenerate. whether you're human or not also affects how the game treats you, in the sense that fellow humans or vampires will be friendly or hostile depending on your state and will flip at the drop of a hat if you're unlucky enough to flip between states for whatever reason or another. another incredibly important factor is the fact that you're climbing a 'hotel', more or less, and there's PLENTY of stained glass windows on all 4 sides of each floor. there's a day/night cycle and as time passes beams of sunlight will stream in through broken windows and actually move as the sun moves, the position and angle tilting and angling to come in through different sides of the floor, eventually fading to make room for night. vampires are, obviously, very weak to this. it can be your greatest ally if you're human, and you can even shoot out windows with a revolver to make use of it. otherwise, for even you if you're a vampire, it can set you alight and do heavy damage. as you move around on floors it can be in your best interest to keep track of where the sun is, and/or snuff out or light torches as you go along to either sneak around/towards humans if you're a vampire or give yourself the ability to see what the hell is going on if you're human.

also the unidentified potions are great because the way they work is that each one gives you a spread of 3 things it could possibly be, so you're actually encouraged to gamble and drink them because you have SOME sort of idea of what you might get out of it. there's also a bunch of side aspects, like turning into a werewolf from drinking certain potions or starting as the shapeshifter class which is classed as a werewolf automatically. they function as a neat fusion of vamps and humans in that they're tanky and good in combat like vamps but have regenerating hp, especially when bathed in moonlight. (the day/night cycle also tracks moon phases, so a full moon can trigger being a werewolf and also give you massive regen) werewolves are attacked by both humans and vampires in that state, though. there's a special side-floor called the greenhouse where you're entirely surrounded by windows so it's basically suicide during the day if you're a vampire, but i went there during a full moon as a werewolf and pretty much became unkillable for a little while.

overall it's a really neat game and won't demand a huge amount of investment, but there's still quite a lot of thought that has to go into how you handle situations. also it's on sale currently for 5 bucks which is a steal.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I tried A Robot Named Fight and I was... not impressed. It's literally just an ugly brown reskin of Super Metroid, I don't understand the appeal. :confused: (Also Deathstate is one of my favorite games ever, everyone should buy it)

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Sorry this will be my last post about it, I swear, but I'm still baffled: How in the gently caress does it seem like so many people have bought, played, and admired Deathstate...and yet it seems like we haven't really talked about it until just now (almost 3 years after it released)? I guess I should've started ranting about it 2 years ago.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Sorry this will be my last post about it, I swear, but I'm still baffled: How in the gently caress does it seem like so many people have bought, played, and admired Deathstate...and yet it seems like we haven't really talked about it until just now (almost 3 years after it released)? I guess I should've started ranting about it 2 years ago.

There was a bit of chatter about it when it was very new but I guess there just wasn't much to talk about.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

holy poo poo im an eyeball shooting death lasers pew pew pew pew

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Actually looks more like we all jumped on it several months later after the lead dev fessed up ITT around page 386.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

Actually looks more like we all jumped on it several months later after the lead dev fessed up ITT around page 386.

Interesting...well somebody better beat some secrets out of that guy, because I'm still not sure what the whole "meteor" thing in the latest update does.

EDIT: FWIW I think my favorite character ended up being the Skeleton King, although I really did like the Eye and Priest as well. Get a couple more plague-focused buffs on the Skeleton King and he just wipes entire areas clean with walls of contagious, poisonous death.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jul 24, 2018

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i posted a bunch of cropped images of the loading screen messages (because i thought the characters and the messages were so cute) to try and entice people to the game a ways back but nobody seemed to bite.

i still have yet to unlock the skeleton king, hes probably the character I want most (i love skeletons), but until then the cute little eye is my favourite

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I bought it because of some chatter in the thread, so someone talked about it a few months ago.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
deathstate is good but its not super discussable for some reason

i really like how it manages to be an outright psychedelic experience tho

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Flamebreak is the other one I couldn't remember

https://store.steampowered.com/app/399640/Flamebreak/

Twin stick roguelite arena battler

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

victrix posted:

Flamebreak is the other one I couldn't remember

https://store.steampowered.com/app/399640/Flamebreak/

Twin stick roguelite arena battler

This one is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
What are my goals after winning my first Deathstate run? I also unlocked the Dark World or whatever in World 3 and now the portals are spawning. I guess I want to try and win with all the Desecration altars activated now? I'm still missing a couple characters

edit also man the flavor text is so good. I can't tell what unlocks the [redacted] portion of the text in the bestiary, it's there for some guys but not others, I guess I just need to kill more?