Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Cugel the Clever posted:

Worked for a lady a few years back who one day gathered up all the employees to regale upon us the importance of attaching "deer whistles" to our cars to not get hit by deer. She even handed the things out to everyone, explaining that she hasn't once been hit by a deer since she's had one.

The bullshit that people will just accept at face value never ceases to amaze me. It's a shame she didn't hand out tiger-repelling rocks the next day.

Bear patrol works :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Goober Peas posted:

They were sold As-seen-on-TV before that. And in JC Whitney before that. It's kinda fun to see things like that pop up in a new place every few years.

My mom gave me a set a while back with that As-seen-on-TV branding, Lord knows where she got them. I didn't put them on, I figured they're either not going to work, or they'll spook a deer just chilling in a ditch to run right out into traffic just as much as they'd frighten them off. Fortunately, they had like a $6 price tag on them, so at least she's not out much for them.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Australia used to sell the ultrasonic shoo-roos/shuroo/generic "animal whistler". The cheapos were just a air/wind powered whistle but the pricier ones were battery powered ultrasonic sirens. They used to have a similar thing for your home to plug in and annoy mice, rats and pests back in the 80s/90s too.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Fo3 posted:

They used to have a similar thing for your home to plug in and annoy mice, rats and pests back in the 80s/90s too.

It's also used to discourage teenagers from hanging around in particular places.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

u brexit ukip it posted:

It's also used to discourage teenagers from hanging around in particular places.

Taco Bell did that back then 30 years ago. They'd just set their restaurants to like 50F to keep people from loitering.

Deer whistles, Slick 50, and if IIRC the Vornado (was some vane device you threw into your intake to create more laminar airflow) were also great options.

Any modern car now, trying to tack on deer whistles they would be perpendicular to the road.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

u brexit ukip it posted:

That was called the "mosquito" and wasn't popular here because it affected the babies, toddlers and kids that parents were taking with them while shopping. Opera and classical music got a good playing though.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Colostomy Bag posted:

Deer whistles, Slick 50, and if IIRC the Vornado (was some vane device you threw into your intake to create more laminar airflow) were also great options.

The Tornado Fuel Saver was a holy device that would give a man up to 15% improved performance alongside a tune-up on a neglected car.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Ripoff posted:

The Tornado Fuel Saver was a holy device that would give a man up to 15% improved performance alongside a tune-up on a neglected car.

As an auto tech, I have seen more than a few of those. I used to have a pic of a random car that had purpose built magnets wrapped around many hoses and the air intake tube. If I can dig it out of my personal digital archives, I will post it.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Flint Ironstag posted:

As an auto tech, I have seen more than a few of those. I used to have a pic of a random car that had purpose built magnets wrapped around many hoses and the air intake tube. If I can dig it out of my personal digital archives, I will post it.

There was a guy I knew in the late 60s who made a section of his fuel line a coil of copper pipe inside a tin can. He'd fill the can with ice before every 1/4 run. I suppose it made the fuel a little more dense, but dunno if it really made .001 seconds diff. :shrug:

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

dee eight posted:

There was a guy I knew in the late 60s who made a section of his fuel line a coil of copper pipe inside a tin can. He'd fill the can with ice before every 1/4 run. I suppose it made the fuel a little more dense, but dunno if it really made .001 seconds diff. :shrug:

Drag racing, I presume? Drag racers throughout the decades have used ice to cool down intakes and intercoolers between runs. While that method seems to have low benefits, all racers have tried things to gain any, however tiny, edge. (Not me of course, Mr Tech Inspector. All my stuff is clean. Honest.)

But, ice to cool the intake charge is one thing. Magnets wrapped around your radiator hoses seems a bit like snake oil sold to a sucker, to me.

Hermaphrodite
Oct 2, 2004

Luckily, I CAN go fuck myself!
I have one of those magnet things, some nutjob gave it to me about 20 years ago. It's just magnets covered in epoxy.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Someone is pimping that in a bmw forum right now, it's called xcelplus now. They claim it's not like the bad slick 50 from the 90s, it's the real old slick 50 from back in the MLM days pre 1984.
I'm not sure if that's a selling point.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jul 23, 2018

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Flint Ironstag posted:

Drag racing, I presume? Drag racers throughout the decades have used ice to cool down intakes and intercoolers between runs. While that method seems to have low benefits, all racers have tried things to gain any, however tiny, edge. (Not me of course, Mr Tech Inspector. All my stuff is clean. Honest.)

But, ice to cool the intake charge is one thing. Magnets wrapped around your radiator hoses seems a bit like snake oil sold to a sucker, to me.

Oh yeah the magnets thing is totally just that. Just something sold to people who have no idea what magnets are or do, just that they work by "invisible forces".

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

dee eight posted:

Should’ve done the math and showed him what time penalty for the added weight was. Probably evens things out.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Fo3 posted:

Australia used to sell the ultrasonic shoo-roos/shuroo/generic "animal whistler". The cheapos were just a air/wind powered whistle but the pricier ones were battery powered ultrasonic sirens. They used to have a similar thing for your home to plug in and annoy mice, rats and pests back in the 80s/90s too.

I had a mate ages ago who worked maintenance for a big shipping company with giant warehouses which would get loving infested with rats on the regular.

The company didn't really care about rats, even they can't to much to a shipping container. But rats mean snakes and having your people harassed by death adders and tiger snakes is bad for business. Not too bloody good for the staff either.

So the company paid him to go out and buy dozens of those "repellents" and hook them up in a fish tank with rats from a pet store and watch the rats' reactions. He even built a bunch from parts himself.

They never gave a poo poo about any of them.

Which shouldn't be surprising, they're rats. They piss on themselves and eat electrical wiring for fun. They live in sewers and in the worst places imaginable. If they were bothered by noise someone would have figured that out decades ago and every building would be fitted with giant high frequency speakers.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I wish everyone on the road had brakes this good.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Why would I need to strap 'er to the trailer? She's good 'n' heavy - not going anywhere.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

New dash cam Australia up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Emj53D8R2CM&t=34s

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Going to need a bigger tow truck.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Fo3 posted:

Someone is pimping that in a bmw forum right now, it's called xcelplus now. They claim it's not like the bad slick 50 from the 90s, it's the real old slick 50 from back in the MLM days pre 1984.
I'm not sure if that's a selling point.

You have got to be kidding.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

I don't know, that looks like s successful boat launch to me.

RollsRoyce
Feb 11, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Sometimes when I'm out kayaking on the lake I'll just hang out around dinner time near one of the busy boat launches to see how badly people can gently caress up backing up 20' and launching a small boat. It's amazingly good fun.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

lordofthefishes
Mar 30, 2008

01000111 01010010 01000101 01000101 01010100 01001001 01001110 01000111 01010011 00100000 01000110 01000101 01001100 01001100 01001111 01010111 00100000 01000011 01000001 01001110 01000001 01000100 01001001 01000001 01001110 01010011

Why can't I stop laughing at this?

Basic physics should not supply this level of mirth.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

It's a really good gif and Australians are really good at saying cusses and people driving dump trucks with the bed set to DUMP are the best. Quality page people

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Phanatic posted:

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED

I've seen less damage after an EF4 hit my area.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgeBYCts2_k

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

welp

<unzips>

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Wow cool reddit joke, all my 5s

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

I knew where this was going as soon as I saw the first frame. I wouldn't be able to resist the urge to do that if I had the chance.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

PT6A posted:

Isn't 0.4 basically an "you are likely to die" level of intoxication? How do you even operate a car at that point?

Not if you're a pro. patient I saw last shift had a BAL of 473, ~1-2 hrs after EMS picked her up. Another dude was in 380s-390s and honestly didn't even really appear terrible intoxicated.

re: DUIs, I've heard from my conversations with many LEOs in the ER that lots of drunk drivers will rack up 2-3 charges before they ever actually see a judge for the initial offense. Even though the cops can take their license, they still can get behind the wheel.

The whole thing is kind of enraging because I've seen a lot of human hamburger and it's hosed up and not cool. Here in Denver the drivers are loving miserable too so I take it personally. I've been rear ended 3x in the 3 years I've lived here, most recently culminating in the total loss of my old RAV4. Not cool.

Kommienzuspadt fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jul 25, 2018

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Could you start euthanising the DUIs that come in? As a sort of prophylactic measure. Thanks in advance

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Kommienzuspadt posted:

I've seen a lot of human hamburger

Dunno which is better, this or meat crayon.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Grakkus posted:

Could you start euthanising the DUIs that come in? As a sort of prophylactic measure. Thanks in advance

Or just start doing appendectomies to keep them out of commission for a while.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0638389/

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The GPS nav you share the road with: gently caress how turn by turn instructions handle roundabouts.

"In 400 meters at the roundabout, take the second exit."

10 seconds later, "at the roundabout take the second exit"

Exit roundabout, "in 400 meters at the roundabout, take the second exit."

I like roundabouts for actual driving and traffic flow but they can gently caress off for this. If you're driving through a town it's nonstop roundabout instructions.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

xzzy posted:

The GPS nav you share the road with: gently caress how turn by turn instructions handle roundabouts.

"In 400 meters at the roundabout, take the second exit."

10 seconds later, "at the roundabout take the second exit"

Exit roundabout, "in 400 meters at the roundabout, take the second exit."

I like roundabouts for actual driving and traffic flow but they can gently caress off for this. If you're driving through a town it's nonstop roundabout instructions.

This, but add in merging from one highway to another. In 800 feet take the I-495 exit. Take the I-495 exit. In 800 feet merge onto I-495. Merge onto I-495. Follow I-495 for 13 miles. Do the majority of people really need the directions in between Take the exit and Follow the new road for X miles? I guess my beef is that I listen to mostly talk radio through my phone which also supplies my directions and 5 interruptions within a minute for the one or two odd times it happens during a trip is too much interruption for me.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Gets even better if you have street names enabled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Gets even better if you have street names enabled.

How not to cycle.. and in a few cases, how not to drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PQwMcWg0rE