Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Hail mary pull got me 4/11: Ramza USB, Montblanc USB, Montblanc USB (dupe obviously), Montblanc LMR (also dupe).

Still happy. New policy: Never pull, til the last day, then always pull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007

Ripley posted:

It's the FFIX banner this week for me, my IX synergy is seriously rough so any of the USBs would help, especially Vivi or Zidane.

(What're the odds I end up with two more Hamelins instead?)
My IX team is no longer a black hole - 100 gems and 100 mythril got me Amarant's USB, Kuja's LMR and :toot: Vivi's USB. Oh, and an extra Hamelin of course, cheers Eiko.

I have so much orb farming to do...

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

so i was up to 180 mythril and i did really want ramza’s super shout so against my better judgement i threw 50 at the 1st banner before it went away.

4/11: ramza’s new usb (have his full suite except that second burst), agrias’ new usb (have HER full suite already too), ovelia’s new burst (have all her stuff i think), and a dupe agrias burst.

somehow i managed to pluck two new usb’s off the banner in a single pull. always pull.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Are there any other crazy good banners coming up between now and the next fest aside from V?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

FFVII banner 1 has stuff like:

Sephiroth USB (which seems to be as bullshit as Cloud)
Vincent fire chain

I think it has some other useful poo poo too.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
The next VIII event (which is either during or right before next fest) is utterly nuts, and turns Quistis from a wheelchair character into the game's premiere mage team support if you get both her glint and her usb.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

The next VIII event (which is either during or right before next fest) is utterly nuts, and turns Quistis from a wheelchair character into the game's premiere mage team support if you get both her glint and her usb.

You're thinking of Mewt

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

hey girl you up posted:

You're thinking of Mewt
:v:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i pull on fft a lot because of personal druthers, elucidate for me why this draw is so good

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

hey girl you up posted:

You're thinking of Mewt

Doned

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Cowcaster posted:

i pull on fft a lot because of personal druthers, elucidate for me why this draw is so good
which draw?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the next viii draw I think

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Serious pro-tip for this week's MP 220: the only attack it has that isn't fixed or piercing damage or instant KO is a weak single target physical attack. You can easily get away without bringing any kind of mitigation, in fact don't even bring healers, just bring 8 solid dps characters and blow it up in two or three turns.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

the next viii draw I think
Basically everything from last fest to next fest is mediocre or bad (with a couple exceptions), and banner 1 of the next VIII event is completely nutso. Laguna chain and a bunch of great stuff for Rinoa, Quistis, and Squall. Even at the BSB level it has Squall BSB2.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
What jerk designed this Tantarian fight.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

RagnarokAngel posted:

What jerk designed this Tantarian fight.
"Let's translate all the mechanics as literally as possible! With all the multi-resist bosses out there, especially in FF12, what could go wrong?" :downs:

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Are there any other crazy good banners coming up between now and the next fest aside from V?

FFV in four days!!!!!!!

e whoops I'm dumb. The next 8 is phenomenal though and better than most of it not all of the fest banners

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
The noteworthy event banners between now and the current state of JP and their highlights:

V-1: Bartz ASB/USB2, Galuf earth chain
VII-1: Sephiroth ASB/USB2, Vincent fire chain (plus Cloud USB1 if you don't already have it)
VIII-1: Rinoa ASB/USB3, Quistis USB/Glint, plus recurrence of Laguna ice chain and Squall USB2
(Fall fest goes here)
V-2: no debuting relics, but it's got Bartz USB2 and Gilgamesh and Galuf gen 2 chains all in one place so it's arguably better to wait
XIV-1: Alphinaud wind chain and wind radiant shield USB, Thancred USB, Papalymo ASB
VI-2: Gau USB (no for real, it's really good), Umaro USB, Strago water radiant shield USB, plus a recurrence of Strago water chain
(Winter fest)

There are a couple others that are borderline, but I think those are the most significant ones. The two following fests in Japan have been kind of underwhelming too, which makes the really good event banners stand out even more.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Basically everything from last fest to next fest is mediocre or bad (with a couple exceptions), and banner 1 of the next VIII event is completely nutso. Laguna chain and a bunch of great stuff for Rinoa, Quistis, and Squall. Even at the BSB level it has Squall BSB2.

Can we stop with the all event banners are suddenly bad meme. Everything except XII (Vaan USB2 etc) and X (We made Jecht fire since it's a rare element and his dark legend dive makes him unique) are fine banner 1s to pull on.

Event banner quality has not suddenly skydived and it was fine before. If anything there less new relics than previously (like this 10/10 slam dunk both banners IX event) but anyone can look at a banner and see that they have this poo poo already.

E: Current IX-2 is realistically a stretch for a slam dunk because of the weak LMR and missing GSB section but it has surprisingly good BSBs and a ton of elemental relics

Neutral Zone Trap fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jul 23, 2018

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Banner quality is about to get better though - first with a switch to 5x 6* star format, then later dropping two relics from the usually dud bsb section.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The next IX-1 also has some solid stuff: Eiko's BUSB is a literal upgrade over her BSB, Marcus is one of the best Imperil/Chainbuilders for Wind, and Freya is a strong Crusher with some damage potential due to being able to seamlessly fit Sky High in her rotation. And for anyone who grabbed Zidane USB2, his ASB is an excellent finisher. No chain, but eh.

IX-2 is also an excellent grab bag of all the good IX things: Vivi/Beatrix/Kuja USBs are all amazing, and Garnet's is a decent loop with her CSB if you can juggle the meter for it.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

ApplesandOranges posted:

The next IX-1 also has some solid stuff: Eiko's BUSB is a literal upgrade over her BSB, Marcus is one of the best Imperil/Chainbuilders for Wind, and Freya is a strong Crusher with some damage potential due to being able to seamlessly fit Sky High in her rotation. And for anyone who grabbed Zidane USB2, his ASB is an excellent finisher. No chain, but eh.

IX-2 is also an excellent grab bag of all the good IX things: Vivi/Beatrix/Kuja USBs are all amazing, and Garnet's is a decent loop with her CSB if you can juggle the meter for it.

Yeah, I forgot about the next IX event because I already have a bunch of dupes on those banners but they're pretty good as well. But personally, a banner has to be pretty strong at this point for me to consider pulling without at least one chain on it.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

Can we stop with the all event banners are suddenly bad meme. Everything except XII (Vaan USB2 etc) and X (We made Jecht fire since it's a rare element and his dark legend dive makes him unique) are fine banner 1s to pull on.

It's not even that all banners are bad, it's that we got about 3-4 months of absolutely bonkers banners in severe rapidfire, culminating in the last fest, and then banners went back to the normal "good" with only the really experimental poo poo (see X) stinking it up proper.

Compared to constant god-banners, good banners are "crap" in the same way that if you've lived your entire life eating five star cuisine you'll be snobbish about the best goddamn fast food imaginable. It's still good, yo, we just got spoiled on better.

Avalerion posted:

Banner quality is about to get better though - first with a switch to 5x 6* star format, then later dropping two relics from the usually dud bsb section.

Jury's out as to if the Dud Wildcard system is an "upgrade" or a sidegrade. On the plus, those two relic slots no longer exist, but on the minus, that 2%ish is replaced with absolutely any relic - including uniques - for the banner headliners. It's good for waifu building but not always good for getting an increase in power.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

KataraniSword posted:

Jury's out as to if the Dud Wildcard system is an "upgrade" or a sidegrade. On the plus, those two relic slots no longer exist, but on the minus, that 2%ish is replaced with absolutely any relic - including uniques - for the banner headliners. It's good for waifu building but not always good for getting an increase in power.

As someone who's relatively new, I'm vaguely in favour because it increases my chances of getting something like Alphanerd's Deployment Tactics from "nope" to "still mostly nope, but the chance is an actual number now"

I'd rather have something like a 25-mythril choose-any-SSB banner periodically but whatever.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Yeah I'd like to be able to get some SSBs like edges

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
JP got a SSB+ banner for each realm,which was 15 mythril per 11 pull, for one of their fests. This should be coming up in Global, and the good thing is they don’t go away.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Armitage posted:

JP got a SSB+ banner for each realm,which was 15 mythril per 11 pull, for one of their fests. This should be coming up in Global, and the good thing is they don’t go away.

I can only hope and pray that they replace the Newcomer Banners so we stop having to scream at people to not pull on the newcomer banners.

Also, it's 15 mythril for the first 11 pull per realm, full 50-mythril price after that.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

KataraniSword posted:

I can only hope and pray that they replace the Newcomer Banners so we stop having to scream at people to not pull on the newcomer banners.

Also, it's 15 mythril for the first 11 pull per realm, full 50-mythril price after that.

Yeah, I forgot that part, but still, they never go away. Of course they’re curated up to a certain point but there still is a chance to get a lot of great stuff you may have missed. You can also get Greg SSB.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I loving hate fighting Bismarck, you guys.

I can kill him... sometimes... if he decides not to do back to back to back Savage Breach Blasts.

But he seems wildly out of line with every other 3 star, taking less damage and dealing far more.

I can do it, sometimes, it's just not fun to have to constantly reset 90% of the way through the fight because his random-rear end AI decided to tear me a new rear end in a top hat, no save.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

tiamat-farmer here, i wish i was fighting bismarck

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I beat Tiamat once by basically pure luck and I'm never fighting that steaming turd of a boss design ever again until it has been power-creeped into a joke. Luckily I don't need any of the magicites from Tiamat to sub-30 Midgardsormr.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

KataraniSword posted:

that 2%ish is replaced with absolutely any relic - including uniques - for the banner headliners.

Not true. With the exception of ff6 b1, it has been BSB/LMR and up only. No SSBs or uniques.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

I’ve killed Kraken 30 times over the past week and gotten 22 Kraken magicites, 6 Octomamms and two Gizamalukes. RNG on this is loving bullshit. I just want two more so I can be done with this

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Zurai posted:

Not true. With the exception of ff6 b1, it has been BSB/LMR and up only. No SSBs or uniques.

I'm mistaken then. Kind of hard to keep up with that now that Reddit's design sucks and I can't read JP's actual updates. :shobon:

I'm not sure if that's better or worse, honestly, because it reverses the situation - the pool at least gives you something you could potentially use, but it means the ultra-ancient legacy gear for your Special Friend character is relegated to absurdly lucky (even with JP's new rates) daily draws.

Prav posted:

tiamat-farmer here, i wish i was fighting bismarck

Ixion farmer here, incredibly glad I have decided not to farm Tiamat.

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008

Zurai posted:

Did they stop doing because of massive player outrage? Or will we be in a situation where DeNA can just decide that arbitrary (i.e. really good) banners have the bigger pool?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i know that there's a couple of very specific supers that still have relevancy today but haven't about 95% of them been power crept into oblivion? i won't be sad to see them go

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

i know that there's a couple of very specific supers that still have relevancy today but haven't about 95% of them been power crept into oblivion? i won't be sad to see them go

i think it's closer to 99.5%

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Cowcaster posted:

The only two I can think of are Edge and Noctis's "don't call them USB's" SSB's.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i remember alphinaud's deployment tactics being good for having bosses beat themselves to death but even that has been supplanted by other sources i think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.

KataraniSword posted:

It's not even that all banners are bad, it's that we got about 3-4 months of absolutely bonkers banners in severe rapidfire, culminating in the last fest, and then banners went back to the normal "good" with only the really experimental poo poo (see X) stinking it up proper.

What were these bonkers banners in rapidfire? The last hyped one I remember was Cinque USB and the coming T0 banner is about as good as ”The moneycinque” too.