Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Just noticed that Crete looks like it has at least 10 or so provinces.... :kheldragar:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Crazycryodude posted:

Just noticed that Crete looks like it has at least 10 or so provinces.... :kheldragar:

LP when

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’m surprised there are still people doing the it’s called Europa..... defense unironically

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
I think they should make Wiz do another Crete LP when it's released.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

The Bold Kobold posted:

I'm going to boycott this game until I can play Native Americans. :colbert:
Sunset Invasion, first DLC for I:R

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’m surprised there are still people doing the it’s called Europa..... defense unironically

Why is it so strange that developers making a game they deliberately called Imperator Rome are focusing on areas historically strongly involved with Rome?

What is the confusion in that message?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Fellblade posted:

Why is it so strange that developers making a game they deliberately called Imperator Rome are focusing on areas historically strongly involved with Rome?

What is the confusion in that message?

Because a title is just a title. It has no bearing on the game itself.

Like Europa Universalis hasn’t been euro centric since early three.

If your gonna put something in the game flesh it out, don’t just have it exist.

Do you get mad that Victoria 2 has very little focus on GB?

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
The title is amongst the most important things when you are releasing a game, it’s a statement of intent with regards to the market they are targeting.

They are primarily targeting people who want a game based around playing as Rome as it becomes the Republican Empire. It’s not called Alexander’s Legacy or something like that, which might even have been the kind of option discussed given the time period.

The fact India is in the game at all is a great thing for the exact reasons you apparently think I am railing against.

I have no problem with India getting more focus, but being surprised or upset when it doesn’t get as much focus as Rome in a Roman game is pretty silly.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

This is what DLCs are for my man

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Ironically the screenshots show that the Greeks are getting a lot of focus despite being called Imperator.

Plus it starts in the period before imperator was used weird that I thought the name was supposed to be important.

It’s not it’s just a name. It’s literally meaningless.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Right, sure, and when Pdx looks at their metrics in a few years they won’t see 80% of people playing as Rome.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Senor Dog posted:

This is what DLCs are for my man

It should be fine on release, which it might be. We don’t know yet.

You can add more in DLC but it should be perfectly fun to play in the base.

My point is getting hung up on the name is dumb.

Fellblade posted:

Right, sure, and when Pdx looks at their metrics in a few years they won’t see 80% of people playing as Rome.

There it is.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

This is the same "Name" fallacy that comes up again and again in Paradox's forums. Crusader Kings is not just about being a crusader king, and in fact some of the most fun gameplay is in the other 75% of the map.

It wasn't at launch though, most of that stuff was added in expansions.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Fellblade posted:

The title is amongst the most important things when you are releasing a game, it’s a statement of intent with regards to the market they are targeting.

They are primarily targeting people who want a game based around playing as Rome as it becomes the Republican Empire. It’s not called Alexander’s Legacy or something like that, which might even have been the kind of option discussed given the time period.

The fact India is in the game at all is a great thing for the exact reasons you apparently think I am railing against.

I have no problem with India getting more focus, but being surprised or upset when it doesn’t get as much focus as Rome in a Roman game is pretty silly.

100% it is called that because there are more people who will buy a game specifically marketed as a "Rome game" than as a "Hellenistic period game", rather than for any other reason. I am expecting the game to have a stronger focus on the Hellenistic world than on Rome simply for geopolitical reasons, though Rome will probably have an ungodly amount of unique content.

Crazycryodude posted:

Kinda seems like there's a weirdly large amount of wasteland, especially east of Turkey. Also yeah lol at India looking like it's getting shafted but honestly these days it would be weird if there was a Paradox game that wasn't highly Eurocentric.

Also not sure what 'these days' means as Paradox games have progressively been getting less Eurocentric, not more (the HoI series may violate this because I don't play them)

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

"These days" means all of Paradox history really, although yeah they've been getting better over time.

Astroclassicist
Aug 21, 2015

CharlestheHammer posted:

Ironically the screenshots show that the Greeks are getting a lot of focus despite being called Imperator.

Plus it starts in the period before imperator was used weird that I thought the name was supposed to be important.

It’s not it’s just a name. It’s literally meaningless.

imperator is definitely used in inscriptions of the 2nd century BC, not sure about the 3rd.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

???

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Astroclassicist posted:

imperator is definitely used in inscriptions of the 2nd century BC, not sure about the 3rd.

Imperator is used by Scipio Africans during the second Punic War.

I think that is where it first started or at least the first time we know about.

Records on when a term is first used aren’t exactly a thing.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
My fav thing to track they level of Eurocentrisisms is to check the cultural mapmode in EUIV

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
That's nothing compared to Africa and Asia in V2 iirc

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

80% of people would play as Rome regardless of whether the game is named Caesar Simulator 2 or Ashoka's Butthole. Rome is what most westerners are most intimately familiar with in this period and so it also makes a lot of sense to market the game based on that.

They haven't said it with this title (yet), but the devs have explicitly said Crusader Kings is just a name and not what the game is actually about. I expect Rome will get the most focus out of any individual region in the game (from a money-making standpoint it would be weird if it didn't) but the idea that the game is gonna be about Rome to the exclusion of other places very much goes against what Paradox devs have been saying is their philosophy for this kind of thing in recent years.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

https://youtu.be/4OwN7eYZseI

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i'd have a real hard time choosing between playing with ceasar stimulator 2 or ashoka's butthole

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Prav posted:

i'd have a real hard time choosing between playing with ceasar stimulator 2 or ashoka's butthole

You Would be lost if you didn’t play Caesar stimulator 1.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Because a title is just a title. It has no bearing on the game itself.

Like Europa Universalis hasn’t been euro centric since early three.

Do you get mad that Victoria 2 has very little focus on GB?

Agreed, India shouldn't be in there at all.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

DrSunshine posted:

:staredog:

I'm India, notable for being far less densely populated than Europe at this time period.
From a purely flavor perspective, having larger provinces in the more advanced regions makes a lot of sense - even the weakest of lord in those places could still be running a vast territory compared to some German bog-lord, because a more advanced society can impose order farther from the center of power. Since the game uses pops rather than something like EU4 development, it shouldn't be such a huge issue to lump a lot of people into the same province either - whereas proper India/China level populations in the base EU map essentially blows past the design space offered by the base mechanics. India in I:R could have a third as many provinces as Europe, but if those provinces had five-six times as many pops then it ends up balancing perfectly fine - and it might end up being better for gameplay, if the region wasn't really home to such tiny polities to take advantage of tiny provinces.

That said, I don't really hold out much hope for something approaching historical accuracy on this front - Paradox seems pretty content to use province values as levers to balance their games rather than as a base which to built balancing around. Which to be fair, is probably way easier, but it essentially also leaves basic gameplay questions unanswered that end up causing problems anyway - such as the problem of snowballing and the general balance between small and large states.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

If my boss came in and told me I had to work on that map I would just walk out and never return

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

Phlegmish posted:

Agreed, India shouldn't be in there at all.

Yea the game is called emperor of Rome so obviously we need to get really specific with the culture and history of pre-Gujarati India and the 50 nearly identical states in China at the time. I also think it would be really important to flesh out the Congo’s rich history during this time period since it was they who had the biggest impact to societies everywhere.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Yea the game is called emperor of Rome so obviously we need to get really specific with the culture and history of pre-Gujarati India and the 50 nearly identical states in China at the time. I also think it would be really important to flesh out the Congo’s rich history during this time period since it was they who had the biggest impact to societies everywhere.

this but unironically

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Are we really still having this discussion in AVC 2771

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

This game is called imperator of Rome so obviously it should not have any faction but Rome.

Greeks? Get the gently caress out of here.

Gaul? Don’t need them.

Asia Minor? The Middle East? Sorry this isnt Antiochus 2

It should just be the city of Rome that’s it.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Ms Adequate posted:

Are we really still having this discussion in AVC 2771

There wasn't that much discussion, I was mainly just calling anybody who expects the same amount of detail in India as in Rome at launch a moron.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

CharlestheHammer posted:

This game is called imperator of Rome so obviously it should not have any faction but Rome.

Why, that scarcely sounds at all like an honest representation of what anyone is saying.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

Why, that scarcely sounds at all like an honest representation of what anyone is saying.

Nah that is basically the logical conclusion of that blade dudes argument.

It’s not a good faith argument

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
Province density is deliberately skewed not because the game is focused on Rome but because paradox's dlc model is based around slightly redrawing the provinces one region at a time forever.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

CharlestheHammer posted:

Rather, an extension to absurdity.

The actual argument is that with always-limited development time, you pick a central focus for your game, and as elements get further from that center they are necessarily given less detail.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

Rather, an extension to absurdity.

The actual argument is that with always-limited development time, you pick a central focus for your game, and as elements get further from that center they are necessarily given less detail.

Yea really silly poo poo like that.

It’s not a very intelligent argument mostly because it’s based on rather insane assumptions.

Like the name of the game matters.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

CharlestheHammer posted:

What exactly do you expect to get outside of the Roman/Parthian empires? If they didn’t interact in a a meaningful way with Rome or Greece during this time period not much was recorded. And if there is a history of them then it wasn’t as colorful as the go to sources for Rome/Greeks. If anything I’d like to see varying governing systems, like nomads/republics/feudal systems in ck2. I don’t really know much/care about the raja bagpur during this time period.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

What exactly do you expect to get outside of the Roman/Parthian empires? If they didn’t interact in a a meaningful way with Rome or Greece during this time period not much was recorded. And if there is a history of them then it wasn’t as colorful as the go to sources for Rome/Greeks. If anything I’d like to see varying governing systems, like nomads/republics/feudal systems in ck2. I don’t really know much/care about the raja bagpur during this time period.

We also know very little about the Parthians or even the Gauls.

This is not a problem that only effects the Indians. It actually a problem for most of the factions. If you set a game in this time period you are gonna run into this issue a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Sio posted:

Province density is deliberately skewed not because the game is focused on Rome but because paradox's dlc model is based around slightly redrawing the provinces one region at a time forever.
I was wondering how long it would be before someone forgot map changes are always free and go for this hot take.