Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
This also hit at around the same time:

Keith Baker got permission to basically do an official/unofficial Eberron DM's guild product.

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/247882/Wayfinders-Guide-to-Eberron-5e

Fun thing from the preview: Reinventing the wheel by introducing scene aspects from FATE. (get advantage on a roll by tagging a feature of the location in the description of your action.)

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I'm tentatively interested in a Ravinica setting book. I am glad they are doing something 'new' for 5e, at last.

Still not gonna run it in 5e, but I dig nice books full of art and evocative stuff.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The underpowered/boring classes in 13A are Barbarian, Ranger, Paladin, and Monk.

Multiclassing Fighter/Ranger and Paladin/Cleric (IIRC) can add some complexity to those two. James Wyatt Jonathan Tweet apparently made the Monk bad on purpose. I played a Monk but respecced to Bard and described everything as drunken boxing and had a much more effective character. The Barbarian’s Rage is severely limited early on, but an easy houserule for it would be 1+CON mod/day at level one.

They’ve added more character classes since I’ve played 13A, but those are the big ones I remember.

F/E: Is Druid still a hot mess, too?

Edit: It was Jonathan Tweet, not James Wyatt who co-wrote 13A.

BetterWeirdthanDead fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jul 24, 2018

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Wording on that Eberron product makes me think this could be a full retail Campaign setting (or better, adventure) book down the road if it sells well enough.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Some information on the new setting stuff.
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/new-worlds

The other setting is Eberron and it's available now in the DM's Guild. (Along with a bunch of other resources)

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/247882/Wayfinders-Guide-to-Eberron-5e?src=newest_in_5e

Edit: Beaten.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 23, 2018

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

So far at 5th level it's not so bad, it helps that the dm doesn't roll damage.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

Multiclassing Fighter/Ranger and Paladin/Cleric (IIRC) can add some complexity to those two. James Wyatt apparently made the Monk bad on purpose. I played a Monk but respecced to Bard and described everything as drunken boxing and had a much more effective character. The Barbarian’s Rage is severely limited early on, but an easy houserule for it would be 1+CON mod/day at level one.

Not sure why you'd intentionally make a bad class.

Are the designers one of those people who subscribe to the "No monks, European fantasy only, Final Destination" philosophy? The kind that sees a monk as Friar Tuck, not Bruce Lee.

Because these are the same people who ban everything but humans, elves, dwarves, and hobbits(and refuse to call them halflings) because if it isn't Tolkien, it's crap. There should be enough options to cover everything the players might think to do. Whether the DM decides something doesn't fit in their campaign setting should be up to them.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

dwarf74 posted:

I'm tentatively interested in a Ravinica setting book. I am glad they are doing something 'new' for 5e, at last.

Still not gonna run it in 5e, but I dig nice books full of art and evocative stuff.

Ravnica is basically the only magic setting I care about. I wonder if 3e contributed to it’s popularity, or if instead they released Ravnica now because it was out around 3e?

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

The next MTG set is Ravnica. So that probably factored into it.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

again?!?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

PrinnySquadron posted:

I'm trying not to be too cynical about this, but it's tough. There are probably half a dozen settings I would've much rather spent my money on than a loving MTG tie-in. It feels super marketing-driven and I guess this is just what I have to expect for the world's best-selling RPG.

The only thing that doesn't make me immediately dismiss this outright are the reactions ITT about the setting and how cool it could be. I just am not that excited, though.

I wanted a Dark Sun or Dragonlance book similar to Curse of Strahd. :(

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Finster Dexter posted:

I'm trying not to be too cynical about this, but it's tough. There are probably half a dozen settings I would've much rather spent my money on than a loving MTG tie-in. It feels super marketing-driven and I guess this is just what I have to expect for the world's best-selling RPG.

The only thing that doesn't make me immediately dismiss this outright are the reactions ITT about the setting and how cool it could be. I just am not that excited, though.

Much as players already in the marketplace might have wanted something else, they are probably releasing this book to capture some of the much larger MTG player base and get them to bleed over. Ravnica is pretty much the MTG fan favorite setting and its timed with a return to it, makes pretty perfect sense.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yes, they are straight up doing a Return to Return to Ravnica.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

PrinnySquadron posted:

I mean, the mobile game that I play (Puzzle & Dragons) just finished up a Magic: The Gathering collaboration, so it looks like they are in cross-marketing overdrive right now.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Finster Dexter posted:

Well we just got Eberron right now as well and the article says more setting stuff will be coming by next year.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Honestly this MTG tie-in is the most excited about 5e I've been in a while. Hoping that Spore Druid is in it so I see if my GM will let me switch over.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Looking forward to getting a Yu-Gi-Oh tie-in before we get an actual campaign setting.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I guess I could just google it but maybe post cool pictures of stuff from ravinica in this topic? I can't say I'm particularly excited for an mtg crossover as a setting but cool monsters are cool anyway.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

James Wyatt apparently made the Monk bad on purpose.

I wouldn't mind hearing why this is the case, if it's literally the case.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I think they broke Monk with Warforged. The key phrase "wearing armor" is brought up in multiple places, but I don't see where it says Warforged are considered "wearing armor" if they use one of their alternative AC forumlas, they are just considered (armored) for spells and abilities.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

PrinnySquadron posted:

Honestly this MTG tie-in is the most excited about 5e I've been in a while. Hoping that Spore Druid is in it so I see if my GM will let me switch over.

When that UA came out I immediately thought of Golgari. I assume this will have a number of formalized UA subclasses. Izzet makes a natural case for Alchemist PCs.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I guess I could just google it but maybe post cool pictures of stuff from ravinica in this topic? I can't say I'm particularly excited for an mtg crossover as a setting but cool monsters are cool anyway.

mango sentinel posted:

Brief summary of the settings and guilds, as of the original Guildpact era:

Ravnica is a giant vaguely european megacity. After an era of horrible strife like a thousand years ago, the leaders forged a magical contract called the Guildpact to create compromise and order out of the chaos. The pact fully established 10 9 Guilds. They are as follows:

Azorius Senate: The civil government and lawmakers of society. Stodgy and legalistic, founded by a Sphinx.

Boros Legion: Police force and, when needed, organized military force. Righteous justice. Founded by a fiery angel.

Golgari Swarm: Agriculture and waste disposal. Plants, fungus, goth druids, and necromancers. Big focus on both decay and fecundity. Live in the Undercity/sewers. Founded by a Lich.

Gruul Clans: Loosely affiliated tribes of mostly monsterfolk living in what passes as the "wilds" of Ravnica. Ostensibly wardens of the wilderness, they're mostly chaotic and destructive. Founded by a Cyclops.

Izzet League: Engineering and research for Ravnica. A collection of alchemist and mad scientists making things explode as often as they innovate. Founded by a Dragon.

Orzhov Syndicate: The city's financial organization and vaguely roman catholic style religious hierarchy. Lots of ghosts. Founded by the ruling council of church patriarchs who have since died but remain on the modern ruling council as ghosts.

Cult of Rakdos: Entertainment industry. A bunch of violent sociopaths who organize public entertainment ranging from juggling shows to murder sports and frequently both at the same time with audience participation. Founded by a Demon.

Selesnya Conclave: Agriculture, public works, public beautification, and charity. Centaurs and prep druids. Founded by a nature Elemental.

Simic Combine: Medical and biology. Better living through genetic recombination. Different flavor of mad scientists creating hybrids that are an affront to the gods. Founded by a Vedalken (a type of hairless, blue humanoid across the MTG Multiverse who tend to be smart, logical, and a tendency toward amorality.)

House Dimir: Secret 10th house of spies and betrayers actually set up by the Guildpact to keep the other 9 houses in balance. Spies, saboteurs, black market and intelligence brokers. Stewards of the true history of Ravnica. Founded by a Vampire who recently sundered the Guildpact by revealing House Dimir and attempting to usurp control of the city. It did not go well.

I'll post more evocative card art when I'm home.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

You could pair this jackass with a guy to give him doublestrike for maximum hilarity.

(Honestly, I far prefer Innistrad as far as MtG settings go, but that's treading very close to Ravenloft)

e: Also, dick worms

e2: Also there better be rules on how to be an elephant with a hammer

inthesto fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 23, 2018

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I like Ravnica if only because I like the whole global city setting.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
The last time I played MTG was during Return to Ravnica. Definitely doing some kind of Izzet tinker gnome if my group uses that book.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Pokemon TCG / D&D Crossover when

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Time to play an extremely sneaky elephant rogue.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I wouldn't mind hearing why this is the case, if it's literally the case.

Sounds like nerd hyperbole. They have two designers who put notes on their competing design philosophies through the core rules, might be an exaggeration of something in one of those?

This is off topic though. I played a few sessions of Strahd with a bunch of goons and we're having a blast so far, 5e seems very solid.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Races of Eberron UA https://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/723UA_EberronRaces7232018.pdf

I assume they are also in the campaign guide.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Campaign guide is ... okay. It's weird to re-use Pathfinder art. It has all that dungeonpunk quality to it which seems jarring. Not much mechanics, mostly just fluff. It's good reading, but like.. I'm not sure how much of it is game-able.
There's a one-page adventure essentially in the back, and a few tables (2d20...) like you might expect from a DIY d&d product...
There's some cool stuff about Dragonmarks. I guess you could use the city here. There are some good pages on how to do a pulp adventure, shades of grey, etc. which is way more advise on roleplaying than WotC usually gives. This may as well be an official product, right?

It doesn't get a hardcover, but the M:tG setting does? Alright?

E: If you like Eberron you should get it, but you probably know everything it's talking about anyway. With so little actual mechanics, you can just use the fluff that you already have. The mechanics come from the new races & dragonmarks mostly, but they are not all that spicy. If you don't like Eberron and wanted to maybe have a cool city, just get Vornheim or something. I think on second look there is enough to start a game here, but the "expanded reading" list just tells you to go read a bunch of 3.5 books and novels. Things are very brief here for some vast swathes of land that are not much more interesting than what you could make up yourself.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jul 23, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Firstborn posted:

Campaign guide is ... okay. It's weird to re-use Pathfinder art. It has all that dungeonpunk quality to it which seems jarring. Not much mechanics, mostly just fluff. It's good reading, but like.. I'm not sure how much of it is game-able.
There's a one-page adventure essentially in the back, and a few tables (2d20...) like you might expect from a DIY d&d product...
There's some cool stuff about Dragonmarks. I guess you could use the city here. There are some good pages on how to do a pulp adventure, shades of grey, etc. which is way more advise on roleplaying than WotC usually gives. This may as well be an official product, right?

It doesn't get a hardcover, but the M:tG setting does? Alright?

E: If you like Eberron you should get it, but you probably know everything it's talking about anyway. With so little actual mechanics, you can just use the fluff that you already have. The mechanics come from the new races & dragonmarks mostly, but they are not all that spicy. If you don't like Eberron and wanted to maybe have a cool city, just get Vornheim or something. I think on second look there is enough to start a game here, but the "expanded reading" list just tells you to go read a bunch of 3.5 books and novels. Things are very brief here for some vast swathes of land that are not much more interesting than what you could make up yourself.

Appearntly it's partially play test stuff. They are hoping for feedback on how to refine the stuff. Then I assume they will release a complete book containing more the world and stuff like the artificer.

Then hopefully they grant a discount to those who own this version. Still even on it's own it's pretty cool.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Nevermind my last comment. It appears the Wayfinders guide is going to be a living document.

https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/1021493084536881159

Both the Pdf and beyond version getting updates.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Both the Pdf and beyond version getting updates.

I mean, good to know its not done but they should probably finish everything then release it and solicit feedback. Also where do you submit feedback anyway?

EDIT: Im genuinely shocked that the warforged and changling both have good racial features that are fun to play, I'll assume they are going to get nerfed like crazy.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jul 24, 2018

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I'm one step closer to realizing my AL dream of Blasto the Warforged Warlock and that's OK in my book.

Still weird that they didn't make a bigger deal about this being basically an early access purchase.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

kingcom posted:

I mean, good to know its not done but they should probably finish everything then release it and solicit feedback. Also where do you submit feedback anyway?

EDIT: Im genuinely shocked that the warforged and changling both have good racial features that are fun to play, I'll assume they are going to get nerfed like crazy.

Don't know I have not checked on that stuff yet. I have not even finished reading through the pdf.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Don't know I have not checked on that stuff yet. I have not even finished reading through the pdf.

I was just going off the racial stuff you linked, and its for the most part really good but now people are complaining that warforged can get plate armour for free as a racial which means the good design is going to get taken away im sure :(

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

kingcom posted:

I was just going off the racial stuff you linked, and its for the most part really good but now people are complaining that warforged can get plate armour for free as a racial which means the good design is going to get taken away im sure :(

Plate armor for free as a racial... at level one. Eventually it scales up past even +3 plate armor because it scales with your proficiency bonus, and you're not reliant on the DM's charity (which is a big deal in this edition).

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Magic items being largely/completely in the DM's hands is a good thing. Specific "builds" of magic items are really goddamn boring when it comes to D&D.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Arivia posted:

Magic items being largely/completely in the DM's hands is a good thing. Specific "builds" of magic items are really goddamn boring when it comes to D&D.

I'd be totally fine with this logic except for the fact that martial characters get owned hard by it. There are an incredible amount of monsters who take half damage from all nonmagical weapons.

We went through the entirety of Princes of the Apocalypse and our bow fighter did not get a magic bow. Thank god she picked Arcane Archer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

The best part of the Ravinca setting is that I could GM a campaign and say that Jace is dead. So dead. So so so so so dead. Cut into a thousand pieces, those pieces caught fire, and then Bolas swept them into a vortex dead. No, you can't bring him back. Garruk is your lord now.