Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
My first was the Pentax 6x7. I shot about 4 rolls of film through it before it stopped working.

Then I moved onto the fujifilm gw670ii, which helped me discover that I don't like rangefinders.

Then I got the hasselblad 500cm and that's where I am now. It's fairly small and light for a modular mf slr camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
My first was Pentacon Six, I liked it because it is relatively light for 6x6. Used it until recently when the shutter started failing.

Now I use Arax CM, which is only slightly heavier, but still bearable, unless I'm carrying prism finder.

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009
Mt first was a Bronica SQ-A. I didn't like it originally because I couldn't get my head around the square format, but after a bunch of practice I am a huge fan. Plus there are a ton of accessories for it and it isn't all that expensive or heavy, relative to other systems. I've had no problems using it in all sorts of weather conditions, either, from heavy snow and rain to baking heat.

I also have a Pentax 67 which is a great camera, too.

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Get up on your feet and do the Funky Alfonzo
On the cheaper end of the spectrum, I picked up a Ciroflex E for $15 as my first foray into 120 film:

It's dead simple construction served as a successful platform for trying my hand at shutter repair. Initially, the aperture flanges were stripped; stuck open at f3.5. Also, the retard mechanism was broken only allowing exposures at 1/200 & 1/400s. It was quite satisfying restoring the full range of functionality, but in reality its best used wide-open with fast shutter speeds anyway. It has an archaic flash sync port that I'd eventually like to adapt into PC sync.

A bit later I picked up a Koni-Omega 6x7 rangefinder that was 100% functional but the back and lens mount needed new light seals. The frame spacing is accurate and the PC sync works like a charm. Perfect focus with a rangefinder is tough though.

Imgur mangles jpgs but you get the idea.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

An RB67 Pro-S was the first medium format system I used for any appreciable period of time and I don't know why I ever got rid of it. Reviews will knock the portability and handheld usability of the system, but if you can find a model with a properly tuned mirror damper (it's a simple flywheel system) it's maybe the most handheld-friendly 6x7 SLR available. You can't feel any vibration in your hand at all, just a whoosh of air being displaced as the mirror swings up.

The later model 90 and 65, which are optically identical to the later versions for the RZ and feature manually-adjustable floating elements, are absolute fire; the 65 especially. Every bit the equal of the Mamiya 7's 65 and the Zeiss Distagon FLE.

If I could do it all over again, I'd have gotten an RZ instead. It has all the same advantages plus lighter weight, more lenses, and the option for autoexposure.

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

and that man's name? ENRICO FERMI
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm poking my head in to say I ordered the Mamiya RZ67 on Thursday from Japan and I picked it up this morning. I have the waist level viewfinder and a 120 back. I still need a lens, a battery and to put in a film order through B&H but I'm over the moon with it; everything is working properly that I can tell; the bellows look ok, the viewfinder and shutter move fluidly and the 120 back removes easily.

It'll likely be about a month by the time I get a new lens and a few rolls of film together but I'm so excited about finally holding this thing in my hands (and I'm glad I didn't cheap out and get an RB system or prism finder; it's hefty enough). It's a new journey for me as a photographer to shoot medium format and I can't wait to report back with photos :)

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I just got my first MF camera, a Kiev 60, and got my test roll back.

I loaded the film incorrectly the first time and, true to its nature, it ate half the roll, but other than that user error it seems to be functioning correctly.

I've already put another 2 rolls through it that I'm very excited about getting developed.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

What could I possibly do with my last roll of Astia, besides taking it back to Japan for a proper send-off?

Shimokitazawa by Rohan Bassett, on Flickr

Shopfront by Rohan Bassett, on Flickr

Scanning these last shots made me realise just how good a film it was, the Provia shots I'm working through are nowhere near as nice. Why must Fuji make terrible decisions :(

oh well, at least we can still buy three loving versions of velvia in every format

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Provia is still guuuud

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

and that man's name? ENRICO FERMI

alkanphel posted:

Provia is still guuuud

I like the limited color palette here; creates good interest. Well shot

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

indyrenegade posted:

I like the limited color palette here; creates good interest. Well shot

Thanks!

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

It's a shame about the light leak, but I'm continuing to enjoy shooting on the Kiev 60. This is Portra 160.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jun 18, 2018

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

My Kiev used to do that sometimes, too. Yeah probably a light leak, but I could never figure out where it was coming from.

Austin by S M, on Flickr

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jun 14, 2018

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Given the location part way across the frame and the vertical orientation, I'm going to guess that it comes from the finder. When the mirror flips up, it's not always properly sealing the ground glass on top.

Also, you might want to look at the colour balancing on those photos. They both have a magenta shade to them.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Thanks for the colour balance tip, I'm still new to editing. If it doesn't improve with tape I'll see what I can find out about sealing up the shutter, or buy a Pentacon Six body.

birds
Jun 28, 2008

hey guys first time shooting film here. just got back from vacation and i can't wait to see how my last two rolls turn out. there were a lot of poo poo ones but the ones i do like i REALLY like.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

^ Switzerland?

birds
Jun 28, 2008

alkanphel posted:

^ Switzerland?

Yup! I had an absolute blast there.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Of all the stuff here to photograph, I would have never thought to shoot the bowling alley.
(small world)

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Nice. Still shooting portra 400 on the Kiev? The colors seem a little toned-down compared to the scenic images you had posted before.

I came to the thread to post an unrelated question..

Pentax 6x7/67 users: do you feel that the left-hand grip helps you handhold slower shutter speeds?

I have the 90/2.8 (non LS) and have had mixed results with shooting at 1/60 and below using the grip. Cradling the base of the lens throat seems like it may work better, but I've only tried either a handful of times.

The grip makes it easier to carry around. I'm not sure if it helps that much with stability. But I'm reminded of the Sigma DP Quattro cameras with their weird horizontally-elongated bodies, which the manufacturer claimed were made as such on purpose ... to increase hand-holdability for their punishingly high-resolution, unstabilized cameras that perform best at 100ISO. The left-hand grip seems designed to work on the same principle: provide a grip farther away from the shutter in order to minimize the effect of shaky hands. The Quattros have featherweight leaf shutters, though. Seems like maybe a better approach for the 6x7 is to hold on tight to the center of the camera and try to absorb some of the vibrations from the mirror/shutter, as long as your grip is steady.

Also, any tripod recommendations? My biggest is 6' and made of aluminum. It was great for my GS-1, but after seeing the results of 1/4 and 1/2 second shots from it with the Pentax, I've started carrying around a few barbell weights in a backpack, which I hang from the tripod. It makes a difference.

It might be more ergonomic to keep the additional weight on my back rather than carrying around a 10+lb tripod, but maybe there's something out there that's engineered to provide the needed stability while not weighing quite as much? Or collapes down to a size that makes it easy to carry? Again, not that I mind carry the weightlifting barbells around. I am a rugged badass. But I do like cool tripods.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Nice. Still shooting portra 400 on the Kiev? The colors seem a little toned-down compared to the scenic images you had posted before.

Thanks, that's Fuji Pro 400H

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
The P67 grip is nice for carrying the camera but feels nearly useless to me for actually shooting with the camera. Mine is in a drawer somewhere.

MadlabsRobot
May 1, 2005

I see what you did there....
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the P67 grip is useless for stability. Trying to use it when shooting probably affects stability in a negative way, at least for me. I hold the P67 just as an regular size slr and can hand hold it with a 105 down to 1/30. Using the grip is just too awkward and adds unnecessary weight, but it does make it easier to manipulate the camera when carrying it around in your hand.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Austin by S M, on Flickr

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

coronalight
Oct 12, 2006

asdfghjkl;

I know you weren't looking for a suggestion for something other than the left hand grip, but this dude in the Philippines makes a great right hand grip. I've been using it for a while now and it's a lot more functional for me. When I'm shooting anything lower than 125 I tend to cradle the poo poo out of the grip and use my other hand to brace the lens after focusing. Haven't had too many unusable results.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

scotty posted:

I know you weren't looking for a suggestion for something other than the left hand grip, but this dude in the Philippines makes a great right hand grip. I've been using it for a while now and it's a lot more functional for me. When I'm shooting anything lower than 125 I tend to cradle the poo poo out of the grip and use my other hand to brace the lens after focusing. Haven't had too many unusable results.

How's it attach? None of the photos show that.

coronalight
Oct 12, 2006

asdfghjkl;
It looks like this:

That little lever gets pushed down with a pencil or whatever you can push it down with once it's slide onto the body. It locks really well and until I took it off to take these photos I've never had to reattach or anything. From my chatting with him before buying he has a factory make these pieces and he attaches to the handles he makes. The part I would be worried about failing is that he seems to glue them on, but I mean, some glues are really loving strong, and it's an almost 1x3.5" contact area for the glue.

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Run away before you drown!
That's an interesting design, especially if you like the wood thing. I was actually thinking of looking into creating a 3d printed thumb grippy kinda thing that would slide onto the metal pins, sort of like that... but when I started researching it looked like someone had already done it, though it's not as fancy as the wood above.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1583871

Not sure about durability or whatever, guess it depends on who you print through and what medium you pick, but might be worth checking out too.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I think a cheap lovely plastic 3d printed handle on the 67 is nearly sacrilegious and certainly antethetical to the overall presence of that specific camera.

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Run away before you drown!

VelociBacon posted:

I think a cheap lovely plastic 3d printed handle on the 67 is nearly sacrilegious and certainly antethetical to the overall presence of that specific camera.

Fair enough, but I'm also not familiar with the quality of those printing materials, so not sure how cheap (or not) they might be. I'm sure it's lighter weight at least, which wouldn't be the worst thing to think about when considering the P67.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I think the camera looks pretty good without any grips. I do like having the LHG installed just so it's easier to carry around. I don't have any straps that will work with it, but I think I'd rather carry it by hand or keep it in a bag.

Austin by S M, on Flickr

Weighted Jansport provides adequate stability for 1/2 second exposures with my light tripod:

Austin by S M, on Flickr

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

It's a tool to use. There's nothing wrong with making something more usable with the tools you've got for a lot less money.

In short, :jerkbag:

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Get up on your feet and do the Funky Alfonzo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981