Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

My Imaginary GF posted:

I often wonder what the real rate of HIV infection in the mainland population is, what with face culture and the whole 'Chinese don't get HIV' going on.

Does anyone have that quote about China as Mordor handy? I wanna show it to the girl. She's still confused about why that dude kept ordering squirls.
Why you say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Pirate Radar posted:

Still dying a little inside every time I think about the guy who decided he liked squirrels enough to want to keep one in his apartment and yet kept relentlessly hammering the button that delivered dead ones right to his front door

This squirrel thing is one the best stories ever related by a goon in this thread.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
That squirrel thing has now been shared with many US veterans of foreign wars from which the general response was, 'even a Private wouldn't be that deranged.'

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Heh

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/guest-at-billionaire-s-penthouse-party-convicted-of-sex-assault-20180723-p4zt5w.html

“How could this damaging embarrassment to the applicant in China be so significant to be so much more important that it significantly outweighs the principle of open justice?”

Sounds like Liu is going to get out of this Scott free, and Xu has been denied bail.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
I work in IT and often get unsolicited but targeted spam emails from random Chinese networking equipment manufacturers just being like "Yo, you want some unbranded 24 port gigabit switches for $whatever per unit?"

And if I'm bored I'll string them along for a bit with some back and forth like "oh wow, what fortunate timing, we were just looking to purchase 10,000 units of exactly whatever you are offering! Can you do a bulk discount?", get them to write up a proper quote (after sending it back multiple times for spelling mistakes ("I am very sorry, but my boss insists it must be perfect"), then at the end be like "okay, this looks great, one last thing because I have gotten in trouble for this before from my boss... You see this project will be to provide the network for a new CIA/NSA/FBI facility and it is VERY important that there are no Chinese government backdoors in the hardware. Can you please assure that there will be none?"

"Mr. Butcher, I understand completely the need for no Chinese government backdoors. Please take my word there are no backdoors at all."

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

People have been asking about her, so she had to surface somewhere, like an international "wellness check" and China found a place where they could crack the door slightly with the chain still on and do the whole "I'm fine no crimes here" song and dance until people forget about it.

Kharnifex posted:

Heh

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/guest-at-billionaire-s-penthouse-party-convicted-of-sex-assault-20180723-p4zt5w.html

“How could this damaging embarrassment to the applicant in China be so significant to be so much more important that it significantly outweighs the principle of open justice?”

Sounds like Liu is going to get out of this Scott free, and Xu has been denied bail.

Does Australia have the thing where the court can keep the court from saying things, but you just ask the witness "where were you?" and then she says "a billionaire's penthouse" and :shrug: now it's part of public record, you can't redact that?

Also, wouldn't be surprised if her testimony was "helped" with a fatass bribe by the billionaire to not implicate him, as is the modus operandi for all rich people everywhere

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
I also had one from a steel manufactory of some kind that was offering all kinds of steel products at various prices.

I work for something that's obviously a tech company if you just go to the domain name, but they apparently couldn't be bothered to even check that as I did several weeks of back and forth as:

Fakename Butcher
Senior Purchasing Manager
TechDomainName Steelworks, Inc.

And eventually obtained a detailed and well bargained quote and plan for what would have amounted to 50 shipping containers full of the lowest grade scrap steel they could supply, including working out the shipping logistics.

The deal came to a shuddering halt when I made it clear that for an order of this size, I absolutely needed a small sample of the scrap steel to be shipped over to test it's "purity" as we had, in the past, been burned by other chinese suppliers on the quality of their scrap steel.

They wouldn't bite without me paying $20 to ship the sample, and I cancelled the maybe half million order over being so offended they wouldn't even give a sample for a customer willing to do so much business.

I'm still a little disappointed I didn't manage to get a chunk of potentially low level radioactive or otherwise poisonous metal out of the whole endevour.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Butcher posted:

I'm still a little disappointed I didn't manage to get a chunk of potentially low level radioactive or otherwise poisonous metal out of the whole endevour.

because it's illegal to send anything emitting that much gamma radiation through the post :v:

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
Not sure if it was posted before but the BBC made a documentary series on the Royal Hong Kong Police. Supposedly the cops were unaware of the nature of the programme, leading them to inadvertently expose some of their shadier methods.

https://youtu.be/datZu9zyRqU

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
bathroom sign from the factory I was recently at:

Thought y'all might enjoy.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
What part of close convention close to civilization do you barbarians not understand?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

;aaa:

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
What should i do in singapore after i ogle the marina bay hotel? I have 7 hours ish before my plane to brisbane and im dressed for winter in australia, otherwise id go do the tree walk. Its so humid what the gently caress, I was expecting it to feel like home but this is a very hard 30 degrees

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

underage at the vape shop posted:

What should i do in singapore after i ogle the marina bay hotel? I have 7 hours ish before my plane to brisbane and im dressed for winter in australia, otherwise id go do the tree walk. Its so humid what the gently caress, I was expecting it to feel like home but this is a very hard 30 degrees

I believe there is a place with ‘four floors of whores’

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Should I go and start my own plunge blog?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Should I go and start my own plunge blog?

You don't have to go far.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Im not being serious. I just want to pass the time without window shopping overpriced junk in the airport

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(
You can go inside the cloud forest conservatory. It’s climate controlled and pretty nice to walk around in

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

My Imaginary GF posted:

I often wonder what the real rate of HIV infection in the mainland population is, what with face culture and the whole 'Chinese don't get HIV' going on.
Many companies now require health checks to gain employment. Like in the US with a pee test, you must get a current check after the interview process to show you are clean. They check for HIV, hepatitis, and some other communicable diseases.

As far as how effective and true those tests are, that itself is a mystery. Hospitals here are always swamped with people, with so many people that many have to wait 2-3 days to get a chance to get a ticket to be seen. Since Mainlanders are all hypochondriacs and go to the hospital for minor headaches or "sweating," hospitals can't keep up and throw bags of antibiotics and useless TCM pills at people to get them to shut up and go home. I have no clue whether the thousands of people daily who need these kind of blood and health tests for work actually have their stuff looked at. I would also assume that bribes for a "passing" result are normal.

One of my friends, that I never had sex with, got raw-dogged by a string of dudes and I told her she needed to go get tested. The doctor was like "LMAO, you have insane levels of the bad kind of HPV in your blood right now." Hospitals her are vicious about withholding information and "requiring" a bunch of tests to drain money out of their victims, and they did like 10 tests on her that were all totally unrelated to her blood results, and she lost about 6000 RMB ($900 USD) because of it. RIP.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
There’s a second vaccine contamination scare and this time it’s not rabies. It’s about done children vaccines and everything got censored.

The situation was so bad that Li le Qiang stepped in and people are still rightly angry. Can someone post the details?

Some parents went really dumb and want to import their own vaccine to their kid without the vaccine staying cold

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://hahaxixi.github.io/

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I believe there is a place with ‘four floors of whores’

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAPapctI0ys

:stare:

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

lol welcome to the tropics

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

simplefish posted:

lol welcome to the tropics

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
See i thought itd be okay cause brisbane gets much hotter than 30 on the reg and kinda humid, but not like that

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

i've always wondered what you're supposed to do in singapore

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
I recently spent two days in Singapore and had a lovely time walking around the Marina Bay gardens, the botanic garden, little India, Chinatown and some shopping at orchard road. Singapore isn't an amazing destination, but it's nice for two or three days. The zoo and universal studios are supposed to be really good.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

fish and chips and dip posted:

I recently spent two days in Singapore and had a lovely time walking around the Marina Bay gardens, the botanic garden, little India, Chinatown and some shopping at orchard road. Singapore isn't an amazing destination, but it's nice for two or three days. The zoo and universal studios are supposed to be really good.

Yeah but did you check out the four floors of whores? The prostitute institute. The multi-level muff market.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

fish and chips and dip posted:

but what about the whores

^ efb gently caress you

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Pirate Radar posted:

Yeah but did you check out the four floors of whores? The prostitute institute. The multi-level muff market.

The pooniversity

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
what's the progression like?? i hear the difficulty jump from floor 2 to 3 is pretty bullshit. has anyone gotten to ALL the secret mezzanine floors??

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Dude if you’re surprised by this, which doesn’t even go inside anywhere or show much, just wait until you hear about the rest of SEA.

Booty Pageant posted:

i've always wondered what you're supposed to do in singapore

Singapore actually has a lot to do because it’s got a ton of tourists and wealthy expats who want to keep themselves occupied.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

So good

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Booty Pageant posted:

what's the progression like?? i hear the difficulty jump from floor 2 to 3 is pretty bullshit. has anyone gotten to ALL the secret mezzanine floors??

gently caress the ashtray on the second floor to glitch to the secret level

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

peanut posted:

pro tip drinking in public is not very illegal in england hope that helps

Not drinking in public, however, is an indictable offence.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
https://www.whatsonweibo.com/permanent-number-chinese-mother-tattoos-phone-number-on-sons-arm-strikes-through-old-contact-info/

lol

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

LimburgLimbo posted:

Dude if you’re surprised by this, which doesn’t even go inside anywhere or show much, just wait until you hear about the rest of SEA.

Singapore actually has a lot to do because it’s got a ton of tourists and wealthy expats who want to keep themselves occupied.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

https://i.imgur.com/KKwzAGb.mp4

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Yeah theres a tonne to do, I only asked because I wanted recommendations. You could spend more tine here than some ~must visit~ european cities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Imperialist Dog posted:

Not sure if it was posted before but the BBC made a documentary series on the Royal Hong Kong Police. Supposedly the cops were unaware of the nature of the programme, leading them to inadvertently expose some of their shadier methods.

https://youtu.be/datZu9zyRqU
This was a good watch, I'm now watching the whole series

• Locked thread