Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Harrow posted:

I was worried that Cyrus would be a standard stuck-up jackass who's very "intelligent" and acts like a dick to everyone less educated than he is.

Instead he's just a super nice guy who wants to share knowledge with everyone but has absolutely no social intelligence at all.

Instead, the "intelligent" jackass dick ends up being Lucia. Who we get to kill.

Absolutely no social intelligence at all really does describe Cyrus (wondering if he'll never understand how powerful his looks have on women, promptly walks past two women who start eating the eye candy and he doesn't notice), though I don't doubt for a second that he would have let down Therese if he did understand what she meant, seeing as their relationship is teacher/student. Well, that and he's thirteen years her senior as she's 17 years old. Ironically, the princess who he was wrongfully accused of being in an illicit relationship with is 25 years old which makes her only five years younger than him (but the accusation was moreso because of her standing than her age), so I think Therese might feel a bit intimidated that the older and by all accounts more womanly Mary put the moves on Cyrus first, regardless of their actual relationship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
For real though the translation team really did take a lot of liberties, sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse. The Japanese script seems very straightforward and a lot of the time the English script will either be really flowery or just make up extra plot points/character traits.

A lot of the time a character will say something like "that's right" in Japanese and the English text is an entire paragraph.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
The way this game is structured and how the path abilities work could lead to a lot of cool speed running stuff.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Your Computer posted:

For real though the translation team really did take a lot of liberties, sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse. The Japanese script seems very straightforward and a lot of the time the English script will either be really flowery or just make up extra plot points/character traits.

A lot of the time a character will say something like "that's right" in Japanese and the English text is an entire paragraph.

Interesting. Are there any major changes or just making the script a bit more exciting?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Folt The Bolt posted:

Interesting. Are there any major changes or just making the script a bit more exciting?

I'm not good enough at Japanese to know if there are any plot changes (though my guess is that there aren't any major ones) but some characters are definitely more lively. Playing through the Therion chapter was kind of funny because in Japanese he barely talks at all so you'd get a voiceline going "yeah, I guess :geno:" while the English text is just a full textbox of sassmaster. Also H'aanit and her people just speak normally.

All the crazy dialects are the work of the translators.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Your Computer posted:

I don't like it when translation teams do that because then it becomes impossible for me to tell if my complaints with the script (or even the story as a whole) are from the game itself or a heavily-edited translation job. This game I don't have many complaints about (save the Ye Olde), but Xenoblade 2 was a HUGE perpetrator. One scene though, in Tressa's Ch2 when she has the skystones, she polishes the dirt off of them and sees she's got these cool rocks. Then Ali comes over and he says "hah, I bet you had no idea those rocks shine once you polish the dirt off!" and she goes "What! I had no idea!" That was a very confusing moment that I would guess probably made sense in Japanese but they changed in English for some reason.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Ohtsam posted:

The way this game is structured and how the path abilities work could lead to a lot of cool speed running stuff.

Tressa's story is already done in less than 80 minutes, mainly because you can kill her last two story bosses with just Hired Help and no real equipment at all.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Speedruns of this game are either gonna be super boring or JRPGs Super Metroid

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Pomp posted:

Speedruns of this game are either gonna be super boring or JRPGs Super Metroid

Best case scenario: people start Cyrus for the lower encounter rate, rush down Ophilia or the cleric subclass for the higher flee rate, abuse save/load to sneak into high-level zones and grab endgame equipment, use a party of four and do all their ch1-4s in a row, then recruit everyone else now that they're overpowered.

Worst case scenario: the game becomes Dragon Quest 8 Part 2 and the whole run hinges on getting an EXP x100 on a Ch4 boss after one guy manages to pull it off, almost no one ever finishes a run after not getting this to happen

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I think bewildering Grace or whatever is gonna be way too unreliable. Like obv people will take hail Marys with it but you can't route around that poo poo

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
You just need one person to get the bewildering combo of 'enemy into cait, enemy into cait, exp x100, jp x100'

e z

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Best case scenario: people start Cyrus for the lower encounter rate, rush down Ophilia or the cleric subclass for the higher flee rate, abuse save/load to sneak into high-level zones and grab endgame equipment, use a party of four and do all their ch1-4s in a row, then recruit everyone else now that they're overpowered.

This is more or less how the existing single-story runs go, minus the cleric skill. Either you start with Cyrus or you rush over to the scholar shrine, then you finish recruiting your party of four. You run around the map picking up high-end stuff, then take down chapter 2, maybe grind for 10-12 battles if you’re going to need some important skill for the last two bosses, and finish them off.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
You know, another thing I miss from Bravely is a detailed view of status effects in battle (if one exists, please tell me!)

The status effect display is so small, the icons are hard to keep track of and they keep cycling instead of showing all of them. Trying to do some of the crazy strats requires keeping tracking of multiple effects and it's a bit of a headache.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Pomp posted:

I think bewildering Grace or whatever is gonna be way too unreliable. Like obv people will take hail Marys with it but you can't route around that poo poo

yeah I've gotten at most 2 "JPx2" dances out of like 24 hrs of playtime, the rest of the time it's skewed for me towards blinding mists and "lol lost all SP"

Folt The Bolt posted:

one of the squirrel enemies has a move called "These Nuts" which is probably the greatest translator work in history

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Your Computer posted:

They do this throughout the game and it's beautiful. :allears:

a frog

a frog with a spear

a frog with some armor and a spear

a frog in a full suit of medieval armor and a huge halberd

I'm expecting the endgame zones to have gigantic ripped god-frogs with twinblades or something

The rat-type enemies get pretty crazy. Ratking IV(?) is decked out with tons of flair, headdresses, and other stuff while the earliest versions are real basic. I think there's more difference with them than the frogs but it's definitely neat going in to a fight, noticing the differences and realizing "ok that one's going to be a higher tier" and then you see you're right.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Pomp posted:

That's not how it works. What actually happens is that you go around and collect a party and then bewildering grace a few times and if you don't get an instant level 20, you start over.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

One scene though, in Tressa's Ch2 when she has the skystones, she polishes the dirt off of them and sees she's got these cool rocks. Then Ali comes over and he says "hah, I bet you had no idea those rocks shine once you polish the dirt off!" and she goes "What! I had no idea!" That was a very confusing moment that I would guess probably made sense in Japanese but they changed in English for some reason.

I think you misunderstood. Tressa was saying she had no idea the rocks would turn into skystones before she bought them from the miner, she just thought they looked special. Ali was saying she was foolish for buying them if she didn't know they were skystones. I can't say anything about translation issues, but that part was perfectly understandable in English.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Saint Freak posted:

You just need one person to get the bewildering combo of 'enemy into cait, enemy into cait, exp x100, jp x100'

e z

Yeah all it's going to take is a single person to get lucky with Bewildering and the speedrun is done forever.

People make fun of all the dumb arbitrary categories in speedrunning, but a lot of times they're made to make the game at least somewhat resemble a video game. No one plays Pokemon R/B any% because it's a ten-second glitch into the credits. I imagine once someone gets an unbeatable run just because of dance luck and not out of any actual route optimization that NoBewildering% will become a thing

Evil Fluffy posted:

The rat-type enemies get pretty crazy. Ratking IV(?) is decked out with tons of flair, headdresses, and other stuff while the earliest versions are real basic. I think there's more difference with them than the frogs but it's definitely neat going in to a fight, noticing the differences and realizing "ok that one's going to be a higher tier" and then you see you're right.

Ratking IV is so loving rad that it made me open up a word document to keep track of all the dope monster summons in the game that could potentially help you bust the game

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Yeah all it's going to take is a single person to get lucky with Bewildering and the speedrun is done forever.

People make fun of all the dumb arbitrary categories in speedrunning, but a lot of times they're made to make the game at least somewhat resemble a video game. No one plays Pokemon R/B any% because it's a ten-second glitch into the credits. I imagine once someone gets an unbeatable run just because of dance luck and not out of any actual route optimization that NoBewildering% will become a thing

Ratking IV is so loving rad that it made me open up a word document to keep track of all the dope monster summons in the game that could potentially help you bust the game

They'll just name it. "No Bewilder run" if it gets popular

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

It may also depend on if speedrunners find a reliable RNG manipulation to game dance in their favor. If Bewildering can be manipulated reliably it may just end up a standard thing for runs.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Some Numbers posted:

Octopath Traveler: It Has a 65% Steal Chance, Might As Well

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
I feel like I’m skipping a step. I sleepwalked the section of the game (when you run the initial lap around the bay and recruit the party members). I’m starting the chapter twos, and I’m on average 5-15 levels under what the map recommends. Of course I could grind and get everyone to lvl 25, but that doesn’t seem to make sense. Is there content between or should I just grind it out?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

gypsyshred posted:

I feel like I’m skipping a step. I sleepwalked the section of the game (when you run the initial lap around the bay and recruit the party members). I’m starting the chapter twos, and I’m on average 5-15 levels under what the map recommends. Of course I could grind and get everyone to lvl 25, but that doesn’t seem to make sense. Is there content between or should I just grind it out?

There are dungeons (caves and forests) in the first ring you’re meant to check out for new loot, optional bosses, and of course extra levels.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There are side dungeons with loot (and sometimes bosses) in the first ring and there are the subjob shrines to go to on your way to the second cities. Just doing that should be enough to hit your main characters next quest at which point the xp enemies give increases significantly

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Speed run chat: The run we are seeing right now is single story completion; basically you choose a starting character and see their ch4 to the conclusion. Probably because mapping those out will help future runs where it is all runs mapped.

The current record is Tressa start to finish coming in at 1hr18m https://www.speedrun.com/octopath/run/yo2k4d1z

The party is
Tressa - no sub
Cyrus - Warrior
Alfyn - no sub
Therion - Merchant

Kashuno fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 23, 2018

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I finished my last chapter 1 over lunch and I'm so excited to start playing this game outside starting zones.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

DLC Inc posted:

one of the squirrel enemies has a move called "These Nuts" which is probably the greatest translator work in history
I literally did a double take when I saw that name :allears:

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009
I really like how the battle system evolves over the game. Spoilers for gameplay mechanics through end of Chapter 3

The game begins by first teaching you the break system, then a bunch of the first bosses have the "purple charge > huge attack" that forces either holding back breaks until the boss charges up, or creating a "oh poo poo" moment where you throw everything you have to prevent being wiped. Later on you get vulnerability negation, bosses that increase their armor after each break, bosses that change weaknesses after being broken, and lackeys that remove the broken status and even more mundane stuff like poison damaging your SP and BP in addition to HP. There's a lot of "oh you absolute poo poo rear end" moments I'm encountering in fights that are really fun.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I'm not looking at those spoilers, but I'm worried i will get overwhelmed with complexity later in the game.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
The battle music as you progress along. The secondary job boss music. Holy poo poo.

Shadowhand00 fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 23, 2018

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bombadilillo posted:

I'm not looking at those spoilers, but I'm worried i will get overwhelmed with complexity later in the game.

the game really does a phenomenal job of easing you into it

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

RoboCicero posted:

I really like how the battle system evolves over the game. Spoilers for gameplay mechanics through end of Chapter 3

The game begins by first teaching you the break system, then a bunch of the first bosses have the "purple charge > huge attack" that forces either holding back breaks until the boss charges up, or creating a "oh poo poo" moment where you throw everything you have to prevent being wiped. Later on you get vulnerability negation, bosses that increase their armor after each break, bosses that change weaknesses after being broken, and lackeys that remove the broken status and even more mundane stuff like poison damaging your SP and BP in addition to HP. There's a lot of "oh you absolute poo poo rear end" moments I'm encountering in fights that are really fun.

Extremely agreed

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

playing around with jobs....

:eyepop:

the dancer costume for h'aanit

:eyepop: :eyepop:

the thief costume for tressa

the pixel art in this game is awesome. Also dancer cyril is very cool.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Can I make Ophillia's chapter 4 boss my avatar? The boss sprite is making me lose it.

Also wanted to finish him with Holy Light just for funsies. Went into panic when it rolled low and he used a move that stunned everyone and did major damage... except I randomly casted reflect on Ophillia earlier and kinda forgot about it so he just kinda blew himself up. Bosses going into puffs of smoke will never make me not laugh.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
So I decided I wanted show this game off to my friends and started a new file. They picked Alfyn on a whim and we're heading to Primrose next.

I thought about how Alfyn's going to react to the events in that chapter and I'm wondering if any skilled artists would be willing to draw Alfyn showing a :stare: face?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Can I make Ophillia's chapter 4 boss my avatar? The boss sprite is making me lose it.

Ophilia Chapter 4 Boss sprite is pretty drat dope.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Some Numbers posted:

So I decided I wanted show this game off to my friends and started a new file. They picked Alfyn on a whim and we're heading to Primrose next.

I thought about how Alfyn's going to react to the events in that chapter and I'm wondering if any skilled artists would be willing to draw Alfyn showing a :stare: face?

Alfyn wouldn't react like that though he'd be mostly like :shrug: kill the bads I got your medicine and beer for later.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

an interesting thing I have discovered regarding the tavern chats that can happen with the right combination of party members when you enter a tavern: it not only counts your party but also whichever characters are just randomly hanging out in the tavern when it checks to see if you can trigger one

I just had one between Therion, Tressa, and H'aanit about superstitions even though the latter two weren't actually in my party.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I finally did it! I got JPx100 with a Cait!

That's my main party more or less sorted for skills for the game.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Do you just spam bewildering when you see a cait and hope?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Your Computer posted:

I think this is because there are 3 types of text box.

1) No voice line is played for the text
2) A short voice line is played, the full text is much lengthier
3) The text and voice match

For example the character will say "hai" and then there is a japanese text box that says like "Okay, I understand I'm going to go fight 1 giant dude with 2 smaller dudes behind him!"